Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Day 4

Hmm, I am going to go with the Egg Falcon from Sonic Heroes, its not nessecarily the most craziest, or super unique of the bosses, but its one of the first I remmeber, and despite its simplicity its still one of my favorites, I mean its eggman in a giant bird shaped assualt fighter, and is pretty cool in my opinion.

Chaos 0 has props too for being an extremely unique boss

... Okay this will be a controversial one. But I'll have to say... 

Rotatatron/Big Boy. 

Was it easy? Absolutely. Short? That too.

Awesome? All the way. 

You literally fight a giant merry go round thing. And not only it was the first boss of Sonic Colours, but actually was the only reason Eggman didn't win at the end. If Sonic didn't beat Big Boy, then its arm wouldn't get stuck on the mind cannon thing, Eggman would've won. At least at first, but he'd still manage to successfuly win for a while. 

Plus it got a kickass song. 

f4b1660dcc0f187919e58e62f9dfdd0a.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 1st bosses coming up!

5. Scorpius from Sonic Spinball. Easy for your 1st boss and a creepy scream to spook you.

4. Chaos 0 from Sonic Adventure. Nothing is better than an intro boss battle and Chaos teaches you as you fight.

3. King Arthur in SatBK. It has that awesome tune, also you epically chase him down. Then kick him off his high horse.

2.Car with drill on the front from Sonic 2. This boss is incredible because it makes me laugh non stop while I face it.

1. Shadow in Sonic Battle. I'll always have a special place for this game and the first fight is memorable as you are fighting Shadow already. Its fun and heck, you have to defend Emerl too! You learn quick and your thrust into the fighting fun.

MY favorite first boss?

0MY1rjL.jpg?1

does Zazz count as a first boss? you fight him first.

i like this boss because its colorful waky and fun and its not machine base. i like doding the starts and that big yellow ball. I also like Zazzs taunts to. this boss really make me laugh. i wish more bosses were like this and thats what make Sonic Lost World such a amazing game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite first boss... gonna have to go for the classic Wrecking Ball Eggman. It's just so iconic, that mesmerising checkered pendulum of his. It's also pretty creative for a first boss, given how it can be fairly tricky... unless you get the invincibility in the trees.

Runners up would be Drill Eggman (best name for a boss ever) from Sonic 2 and the Flame Mobile from Sonic 3 (& Knuckles). They look pretty cool, even if the former's completely rubbish against Sonic. But don't tell me you didn't wish you could drive it in real life and make traffic jams a non-issue.

Yay my first post in this thread.

Anyways, favorite first boss(es)?

320px-Bigfoot.png

SA2- Big Foot

"This game of tag is boring. I'm outta here! ...Hm, finally decided to show up, eh? Okay. BRING IT ON!!"

"Spider Troop Big Foot reporting to headquarters, intruder has been located."

"Copy that."

I remember playing this game for the first time and seeing this thing. I was really excited to see a not-Eggman robot boss. (It also doesn't help that around that time I was on a Gundam high so any mech in anything made me happy.) It just felt so cool that instead of Eggman who was always after Sonic, it was the actual freakin' government hunting him down. I don't know why I like that aspect of SA2 so much, but it just felt good and the music for it was pretty damn sweet as well. Then again, this is probably just my nostalgia talking.

Also I'm not sure if this next one counts or not because I don't know whether to count it as the first boss or the second boss, but anyways,

eG5kdTNyMTI=_o_sonic-generations---04---

Sonic Generations - Death Egg Robot

"Take a good look at yourself, Sonic! It's the last look you'll get before I close your eyes forever!"

I love this boss. All those painful memories of sitting through Sonic 2 came rushing back to me (at least with rings this time around). This was a great revamp of an old familiar foe. This thing looked fearsome in 16-bit, and it looked fearsome in HD. Also...

DAT MUSIC.

I'm not going to lie, this is my favorite Generations remix. Oh man, when I heard this song come up, shit just got REALLY real for me. and I can't help but love the berserk drums during the last phase. Man. This boss really upped the ante on my expectations of Generations during my first playthrough, and it only got better from there. GREAT opener.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 4: Your Favourite First "We'll Play Again Some Other Time!"

I'm going to have to concur with Crusher on Ghost Rex in particular. Look at this:

Ghostrex.3.JPG

If you showed me this and told me "this is the first boss of a Sonic game", I'd laugh, because a giant robot dinosaur is too dang cool for a first boss. While it's fairly simple, it isn't downright easy, at least compared to most first bosses--especially in platformers--so I appreciated that.

Chaos 0 was an interesting introduction to Sonic Adventure in general, really. After a quick cutscene, BAM, it's boss time! Come to think of it, has any other Sonic game thrown you into a boss before a level? As easy as it is, for obvious reasons, I like to contrast this fight with Perfect Chaos at the end of the game. You go from fighting this weird vaguely humanoid water creature with stretchy arms, to a giant...monster...thing...that floods an entire city! Also I like how he starts jumping on the lamp posts when he's only got one hit left. Seriously, if Chaos just stayed up there, Sonic'd be dead by now. Good job, ~~~God of Destruction~~~.

These are probably really odd choices that will raise a few eyebrows, but I love the Metal Sonic and Death Egg Robot fights in Sonic Generations. Metal Sonic goes down pretty easily, but I'm fond of chase bosses (outside of Advance 2) and it being an actual fight is a plus. Mecha Sonic'd still be cooler, of course, but what're ya gonna do? As for the Death Egg mech, it may not be as tough as it's source material*, but it's a pretty cool fight. First phase, you literally spin attack it's behind; second phase, trick it into punchin' bombs so it's arm goes haywire, letting ol' Classic Sonic Spindash along the arm and deal a Spin Jump to the robot's head!

*Though, Sonic 2's final fight barely gives me any problems these days...

Shout outs to the original Green HIll Wrecking Ball boss and the Mushroom Hill Eggman fight, That should be it, unless I remember any others later!

Well, I guess out of all the bosses in the series, I would have to say egg beetle from sonic unleashed is my favorite, not only does it have one awesome design (seriously, look at those decked out pincers) it has probably one of the most lethal movesets in the sonic series as far as first bosses go and the daytime boss theme only helps pump up the atmosphere. Also, its right after eggman makes the worst remark to sonic ever "how did you get here so fast?".

Special shoutouts to the ghost rex in sonic rush adventure now that you guys reminded me, its a good introduction into what you should expect from the rest of the bosses in sonic rush adventure and like element said, its a giant robot dinosaur, how isn't that worthy of praise.

Well, that's easy. Favorite first boss:

LITERALLY easy. King Arthur's first fight from Sonic and the Black Knight might be a cakewalk, but the whole concept of Sonic running after a boss on horseback was a really cool idea for a battle in a game based on Arthurian lore and it served as a really good introductory brawl to get you used to the whole mechanic of timing swipes based on your enemy's technique before encountering the more skilled Knights of the round table later on. This particular scuffle also has a more difficult encore near the end of the game, thereby tag-teaming with this first fight to serve as a cool way to show how powerful you've become as you've progressed. It also features an instrumental version of one of my absolute favorite SatBK tracks, "Fight the Knight," as background music, so it just gets me pumped every time that I play it. Man, I love this game.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well this one is going to...

Egg_hawk.jpg

Though I don't think this game has aged particularly well and I don't take much enjoyment in it anymore, I always thought this boss was cool and pretty memorable. Not only did it give each character their own first introduction to Eggman since the story began but it feels quite satisfying to hunt it down, smash it up a bit, hear the team talk shit to the Doctor, and build up to their team blast to knock it out of the park. The music is quite a high point of the boss too, with the opening building up to that first line of dialogue and then the guitar keeping the action vibe up.

Another mention from me would be Green Hill's first boss which is iconic clearly - running to the far platform with your invincibility to get some early hits in followed by whaling on the Doctor without a care is pretty cool. I'm also impartial to Chaos Zero right at the start of Adventure which gets the main story of the game rolling with an interesting mystery for the player.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day #4 - Favourite First bosses...

King Arthur

12293712371607780big.jpg

Oh hey more love for Black Knight, Soniko you crazy bitch you~

Get used to it, because I'll most likely be mentioning this game a LOT in this event. King Arthur, is a badass dark knight, a good king who has been corrupt and continues to shroud his land in darkness. He is a selfish arrogant tyrant with some god like fucking knight armour, with his trusty demon steed he doesn't mess around. Sonic enters the scene amidst a fight when Merlina summons him to the world, he quickly escapes with her and later meets caliburn, after training he is confronted with the evil king himself, as you chase him down and raise your sword against him, metal clashing metal, sparks flying from the contact... Sonic takes up arms against a master swordsman with little to no experience to go on, his shining courage bringing him to victory as King Arthur vanishes in a puff of dark matter.

He may be a push over boss, but just god damn, look at him! I have a huge love for knights and especially fantasy knight armour, he's just the ultimate bad guy for me!

Egg Beetle

Eggbeetle.jpg

Sonic Unleashed's Egg Beetle is an awesomely fast paced chase boss that requires quick reaction time to lay the smack down on him, he's equipped with missiles, bombs and giant pincers that fuck your day up if you aren't cautious. I've always really liked the flow of this boss battle, chase him, wait for him to open his pincer jaws then boost into them as you bat him around like a paddle ball, it's also possible to get consecutive hits on him when he's stun locked and bouncing around if you've upgraded your speed and boost meter, you can boost through him 3 times dealing 3 times the amount of damage!

F-61 Big Foot

Bigfoot_main.gif

This boss will always hold a special place in my heart, because it actually required strategy to beat him for me at the time, running around, dodging his missile clusters, as well as staying out of his crosshairs when he hovers and shoots his Gatling Gun, the only way Sonic could damage it was by attacking the cock pit, which felt really weird to be restricted in a boss where to hurt him at, especially when Sonic normally breezes through mechs as if they were nothing, this was that moment where you think "shit, this thing means business".

• Thumbs Up 3

Favorite first bosses?

This is a lot more easier to say.

The Flame Mobile is a nice fight in the classics since it can be easy but you have to be careful, therefore can be a challenge to some

In the Dreamcast games, it's Chaos 0 since it might be a simple fight but the music and the speech Eggman made will later show you how much of a threat Chaos can really be.

Modern would be the Egg Beetle since it's very fun to fight the thing and has a cool design. 

My favourite boss could be Drill Eggman from Sonic 2. Sure, it's really easy, but it still feels rewarding when you defeat him. Especially  when you get sent to Chemical Plant Zone (A great level) after you defeat him and break open that capsule.

I also have a shoutout to the Green Hill Wrecking ball boss mainly because it's so iconic.

This one's a little too easy.

Chaos_0_sonic_adventure.PNG

Chaos 0.

Besides this being my most favorite Sonic game of all-time, this little boss fight gave me a lead start to a fun, yet easy battle. Besides a unique design, it gave Chaos the introduction he needed. Silent, temperamental, and menacing. He didn't need to do much to show his strength. The first hit's easy enough, but if you're a newcomer, it's possible you can get hit later. He's a tricky son of a gun.

In addition, it leads in to the twist that came later. He just looked like a bad guy with no true heart or morals, but the later cutscenes switch it on the viewer and prove who he is: a god who loves, but can't let go of his anger because it's embedded do inside him. So whenever I see him in a boss fight (in my controls or on YouTube), you can't help but feel sympathetic for Chaos 0 because he's in pain and is constantly being tricked by Eggman into performing his evil tricks.

#4: Favorite Bosses

The Doomsday Zone bosses

200px-Doomsday1stboss.png200px-Doomsday.png

Missiles aren't exactly better Doc.

The Egg Viper

250px-SA1_EggViper.png

So many memorable quotes... aww fuck it. GET A LOAD OF THIS!

Sonic vs. Shadow (Round 2)

320px-Sonicvsshadowii.png

"Your adventuring days are coming to an end!"

It almost actually happened earlier in this game... and again in 06 (not because Sonic died but because that game nearly killed his franchise) tongue.png 

The Egg X

250px-Egg-x-sonic-advance.png

It combines the bosses of Launch Base Zone while giving us a completely new boss.  Very clever there Sonic Team.

Ultimate Gemerl

Ultimate_Gemerl.png

Sonic and Eggman had to team up to take this one down.

The Egg Wizard

240px-SRA_Deep_Core.png

Another tag team battle except this time the bad guy has help too!

Silver (Sonic Generations)

300px-SilverBossGenerations.jpg

Not so tough without your bullshit game design now are ya!?

Egg Dragoon (Sonic Generations)

242px-Sgeegdragoonv1.png

Time for a change of pace!

#4: Favorite Bosses?

Gotta go with the Star Light Zone boss

Slzboss.png

Hey Egghead! Maybe you shouldn't bombs that can be ricocheted back at you!  Just a suggestion

The Doomsday Zone bosses

The Egg Viper

250px-SA1_EggViper.png

It almost actually happened earlier in this game... and again in 06 (not because Sonic died but because that game nearly killed his franchise) tongue.png 

The Egg X

It combines the bosses of Launch Base Zone while giving us a completely new boss.  Very clever there Sonic Team.

Ultimate Gemerl

Ultimate_Gemerl.png

The Egg Wizard

240px-SRA_Deep_Core.png

242px-Sgeegdragoonv1.png

Its favorite FIRST boss

Your post below. 

Gotta go with the Star Light Zone boss

Slzboss.png

Hey Egghead! Maybe you shouldn't bombs that can be ricocheted back at you!  Just a suggestion

The Doomsday Zone bosses

The Egg Viper

250px-SA1_EggViper.png

The Egg X

Ultimate Gemerl

Ultimate_Gemerl.png

The Egg Wizard

240px-SRA_Deep_Core.png

242px-Sgeegdragoonv1.png

Favorite FIRST bosses...

Like, the wrecking ball from Sonic 1, etc...

*snip snip snip*

Favourite first bosses, chum.

EDIT: D'oh, looks like some others beat me to it. Well done, chums.

Egh, forgot to do Days 2 and 3. Oh well.

Hopefully there'll be a bonus day or two like at the end of 30 Days of Video Games so I can pick up the slack.

Anyway...

Day 4: Favorite First Boss

Sonic-Generations-Metal-Sonic-Stardust-S

Sonic Generations - Metal Sonic

I know within the context of the game he technically is a "rival", but mechanically he's a boss so I'm going with that.

Sonic Generations was a pretty great game, with a myriad of solid boss encounters (except for that last one). Metal Sonic was a great start to a great game. Not only was the fight fast paced and fun, but it flowed reasonably well. A skilled player has the potential to take down this hunk of junk in a minute or so, and BOY is it satisfying to wipe the floor with this guy.

Sonic Team gets extra credit for using such satisfying animations and sound effects on Metal Sonic. Every hit feels like it counts, like it matter. And that definitely adds to the feel of the boss fight. Props.

Aw, but I don't particularly like any of the first bosses, Eggman always sucks at making them. :C

Uh...guess I have to go with the ones that are most ingrained on my mind and go with Drill Eggman and the Egg Hawk. The former is the first use of one of the best boss tunes ever to be present in the Sonic franchise (as well as being hilariously easy), and the latter is memorable for becoming a reoccuring element and setting the stage for some nice history and banter (and some lovely character animation).

...Actually, there is one other I can think of; Hei Hou from Sonic and Knuckles has a really amusing design and I love the sound effect of it chucking the blocks of wood at you, even if it is also really easy with a fire shield. If sub-bosses don't count, I guess the actual boss can also be put here...

skz1boss.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

#4: Favorite  Bosses

Aaaaaaannnnnnddd I'm a fuckin' moron.

#4: Favorite First Bosses

Egg Mobile-H

Angel Island Zone Boss (Flame Mobile)

Chaos 0

Ghost Rex

Wrecking_Ball_Eggmobile.pngRobotnik_46.png250px-Chr_ch0.png242px-Ghostrex.3.JPG

Eggman always sucks at making them. :C

*cough cough*

• Thumbs Up 2

After working all day, it's now a good time to start writing my thoughts on Day Thre-

OH GOD DAMMIT.

[ Day 4 : Favorite First Bosses ]

I'm not quite sure, honestly.  There's lots of a good bosses... hmmmm.

[ Egg Hammer Mega | Sonic Rush ]

RushLSBoss.jpg

This sort of has a very definitive "first boss" feel to it.  It's basic and simple, but it does well enough in explaining the basics of the game.  It can also be kind of challenging to beat without getting hit once.

[ Green Grove Boss | Sonic 3D Blast ]

41275-sonic-3d-blast-sega-saturn-screens

For pretty much the same reasons as Rush's first boss.  This one can also be a bit tricky, though.  Mainly due to the slippery controls really, not so much the boss itself.  One thing I admire about 3D Blast, though, is the ability to see the damage being done to the mech.  More things like that in future Sanic games, please Sega? :3

An honorable mention being the Green Hill Zone boss from Sonic 1 (16-bit).  It's surprisingly hard to think of first bosses that really left a huge impression on me.

Day 4 Challenge: Favorite FIRST Bosses

Completed 3/30 Challenges

*Rub hands together* Ooooh, this is going to be--*Look at Cola post above* No... But I... I was going to do Metal Sonic... I had that boss copyrighted! Copyrights in the universe was suppose to stop everyone, but it didn't... It wasn't suppose to be this way! *Cue dramatic music*

Anyways! Onward with the post! Now, I know you lovely SSMB members are looking at me and going "Ooooh, Mysterion! That Sonic CD fanboy. Obviously he's going to talk about CD first boss"

7.jpg

But you know what? Nope! That's not even the case! BAM! 

Sonic-Generations-Metal-Sonic-Stardust-S

I'm here to talk about this amazing boss battle! "Ooooh, Mysterion! You silly CD fanboy you! You sure did trick me!", yeah, I sure did. Now sit back and watch my awesomeness continue to show. wink.png

Ahem! Sonic Generations decided to grab just a few of the multiple good things from Sonic pasts to remake, and you know what they did? They took the best awesome moment from Sonic CD, MY PERSONAL FAVORITE MOMENT, and remade it. My goodness, where do I begin? First, everything looks beautiful. Second, I love the intro of Metal Sonic trying to come in and attack Classic Sonic with the V. Maximum Overdrive, yet failing. Third, I love the remixed music of what's my favorite song in the entire Sonic franchise. Anyways, let's speak about the remixed moment itself. Remember how in Sonic CD where you had to race Metal Sonic with cheap spike placements that would halt your speed at times?

SSBoss.PNG

Well, for this remake, they turned into a fight. Yeah, you can still race Metal Sonic on an endless loop in Stardust Speedway, but he will be trying to attack you. Speaking of attacking, I really do love the attacks he does, which are the exact attacks he did back in 1993. You have the moment when he uses his Ring Spark Field attack to try attack you and limit where you can be at.

Sonicgenerations23416sgbms02.jpg

You have him attacking the light posts and tossing them at you, and his final and main attack is his V. Maximum Overdrive attack. My goodness, I love this attack so much. 
This is how it was like back in 1993

MetalMaxOverdr.gif

This is how it is in 2011Vmaximumoverdrivev2.png

A giant massive swirling eletric attack that uses up tons of Metal Sonic energy that's also destroying the terrain in Stardust Speedway... So much power being used just to defeat Sonic. I love it! Though, sadly for Metal Sonic, when it's over and you attack, you get rid of him for good! 

SONIC BOOM! 
5958110704_ddc45ec343_b.jpeg

Completed 4/30 Challenges

• Thumbs Up 3