Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Summer Forest isn't even the first zone in a Spyro game, Glimmer was first. :/

Anyway, have to proclaim a soft spot for Seaside Hill. People may hate on it all they want for its overuse, but I find it nice place to look at and run around in due to the utilisation of design and level tropes. The fact I have affinity for the sea anyway helps.

Otherwise, to bring up some variety in choice, I'd also like to bring in City Escape for this. It's arguably one of the most drastically different first levels in any Sonic game (bar Route 99 and perhaps some others I'm missing), and it takes advantage of that. Not only do they adapt their inspiration in a nice and fitting style for the Sonic series, the setpiece for the level is really memorable and fun. The reuse in Generations also mad eit like Unleashed where you could wreck up the parks as well as the cars. Perfect for my inner sadist!

My favorite first level in a Sonic game would have to be... Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure 1.

Sonic_790screen020.jpg

It's the perfect example of a beach, with blue skies, loads of color everywhere from the sand to the flora, to impressive setpieces, and has an awesome tune in the form of Azure Blue World.

This should be in every Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

ERMAGERD GIANT WHALE!

Sonic-adventure-dx-4.jpg

500px-24166_full.jpg

Ah, my nostalgia for this stage knows no bounds. Emerald Coast was the very first Sonic level I ever had the pleasure of playing, and I still have such fond times playing it to this day. The wonderful music by Jun Senoue, one of the most memorable set pieces in Sonic history, AKA Sonic being chased by a Killer Whale that clearly hates him, and very serviceable level design. Sorry Green Hill, you may have set the standard for opening levels, but Emerald Coast left a major impact on me, and got me invested in Sonic Adventure to begin with.

The beautiful beach resort setting, top tier music, and one of my favorite set pieces- was there ever any doubt?

Summer Forest isn't even the first zone in a Spyro game, Glimmer was first. :/

(I couldn't find any good images of Glimmer.)

Well then, let's see here...

I feel I'm obliged to bring up Green Hill Zone, but...I'm gonna take a different angle here. The MS/GG versions I personally prefer, gameplay wise at least. Really tries hard to capture the design of the Mega Drive version, and it really manages it. Extremely colorful, making great use of the palette available. Also quite a bit more difficult, less forgiving. Something which is good, because...well, personally I find the GG/MS Sonic 1 to be much harder, due to the level design, so this first stage sets you up perfectly.

I'm gonna jump a bit here and bring up the classic opening that is City Escape, so cinematic. Nothing really topped the first feeling of Sonic hitting the pavement with his 'board' at a...really high speed, exciting, especially when you're nine. The music track just tops it, giving us an always memorable vocal piece. I'd also like to bring notice to it because it marked a change to the usual tropical island trope the first stages used, instead opting for a city landscape, something it really benefited, setting the mood for the rest of the game.

Finally, I'm gonna bring up the little acknowledged game, Sonic Pocket Adventure, and it's first stage, which really felt like an amalgamation of all the opening stages from the classics, in every way. Music wise, level design wise...everything. It just took what made those classic stages good, and made them better. I'm also not going to neglect the fact that it was on a handheld, something that really makes it stand out, because it straight up matched the Mega Drive, actually making it my favorite. So...yeah, stages!

City Escape from SA2, because it's one of the few Sonic stages that drops you right into the action...literally! Sonic drops from the sky on his makeshift board sliding down the road and crashing into cars and shit. It's AWESOME! And the best part is the music, which is one of the best vocal songs in the Sonic series and so damn catchy you can't resist singing along!

And for nostalgia's sake, I also really like Angel island Zone from Sonic 3. I like the way the stage progresses from green, peaceful jungle to OMG there's fire everywhere! The music is great too and I don't know why it hasn't been remixed more often besides Brawl (which was a neat remix btw!). Bloody Green Hill...

And honourable mention goes to Emerald Coast because the music is just <3 and I love the bit with the killer whale!

I've just noticed that the best thing about the stages I've chosen is the music. XD

• Thumbs Up 2

My absolute favourite opening stage is, surprisingly enough when I reflect on it...

im sorry

I think this stage was perfect for throwing the player head first into this high octane, speedy based gameplay. The music track stands out the most, building up with the countdown and with the beat hitting perfectly as you go off the ramp. The level then gives you the freedom to try out the speedy based gameplay without punishing you too much, despite Sonic Advance 2's linearity. I just kinda love the whole dynamic - selecting your character, the act screen, the countdown, then the whole stage you kinda run headfirst into excitedly. And this lovely remix happened recently, so.

Other highlights for me would be Angel Island and it's infamous opening cutscene with Knuckles and Super Sonic, City Escape for that famous drop down opening and the music kicking in as you hit the ground (plus the GUN Truck) and Emerald Coast for wonderfully upbeat introduction to 3D Sonic which lets the player be introduced to mechanics nicely and be chased by that friendly whale.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 3

Favorite First Zone:

Not sure if it counts since it's not a first level but... It's the real opening act for Sonic Adventure. 

FY2ZCch.jpg

Chaos 0.  I must have been like, 9 at the time. Ol' Dad got us a SEGA Dreamcast and after going through the (kind of long at the time) process of configuring the system for the first time set up we popped in Sonic Adventure. Didn't really know anything about the game at the time, not even a little, so I was really surprised when the first thing you had to do was fight off this monster.

Yes, it comes after a cutscene with some shitty acting (oh no our weapons are useless) but it was pretty intense. This was the first time you ever had to face a foe like this in a Sonic game, and this was the first time I ever got to control him in 3D, so this left a really big impression on me. 

NVM Crusher is a jerk

FINAL ANSWER:

Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure.. It was the first full 3D Sonic stage I got to play. It was fun discovering things, like how you could pick up the bombs that the monkeys threw, or the rings around the bottom of the spire. And how could anyone forget the whale chase section? It was one of the of the most visually intense scenes in the game, so much so that Sonic 06 came around and ruined it with its significantly more shit version. That had managed to be less exciting in every way. 

Runner ups:

City Escape is also a great stage, and is full of wonderful nostalgia. That was easily my most played stage in SA2 for it's awesome cheesy music. Jumping off the ramps was awesome and it gave a new sense of freedom. It was the first sign that SA2 was going to be something different. 

Angel Island Zone:  Running from the airship and seeing the whole jungle set ablaze was unforgettable. Also, coming off of Sonic 2 it was a lot more interesting visually than anything that game had to offer. It starts off looking innocent enough until BOOM everything is on fire. 

EDIT:  

Looks like you'll have to use that answer instead. *chortle*

I'm a fan of the greatest scientific genius in the world. Did you think I was going to play nice? Naw man.

Your destruction is imminent. 

Emerald Coast it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 3: Favorite first level.

emerald-coast.png

Emerald Coast. I was gonna say Angel Island, originally, Sonic Adventure left a bigger impression on me than any other Sonic game in my childhood. Back when I first played this, the Dreamcast was a few days, maybe a week old. Polygonal games weren't as advanced as they are now, and they didn't look this good, or this smooth. I'll be honest, I probably really sucked at this game back then, but I had so much fun just stopping, and exploring this level and beating it over, and over again. It has great atmosphere and music, and it was mind blowing at the time. It's definitely not the best level in the series, but it's my favorite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just gonna list off some favorites.

s3-bginfo-detailsimg8.png

Angel Island

As Crusher said above, this zone pretty much throws you into the action right away. Not just aesthetically, but the level itself is lively and a bit challenging for a first timer compared to the laid back nature of the other first acts in the series. The game introduces so many concepts in small ways that come up later. I think this is a really brilliant level.

Sonic-adventure-dx-4.jpg

Emerald Coast

This stage is pretty much the perfect way to get the game started. The EXCELLENT music and fast paced and well thought out level design that make it an easy enough run for beginners while still being satisfying to blaze through once you've gotten better make this an excellent opening to Sonic's story, which, for the most part, manages to live up to it.  

350px-Sh_Ocean_Palace.png

Seaside Hill/Ocean Palace

While I think the game itself begins to take a bit of a nosedive after this level, I still find these stages, Ocean Palace especially, to be a blast. They don't fall in the usual Sonic Heroes trap of most of the stage being set over a bottomless pit, and I think that alone makes them stand out a fair bit more. 

NE-Sonic-Colours-Wii-5.jpg

Tropical Resort

Tropical Resort, like the rest of the levels in Sonic Colors, just looks so lively from an aesthetic standpoint. When it comes to level design, it can be a bit of a bore on the first run, but the wisps really do make going back to this level much better. It opens up a lot more later on and I thought that was actually a really cool way to increase replay value. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If we're talking stages, and my answer is not allowed (you horrible jerk) then I would pick Emerald Coast from the same game. Mostly for some of the same reasons- first full stage, leaves a strong impression. Also, awesome music. 

Looks like you'll have to use that answer instead. *chortle*

I'm a fan of the greatest scientific genius in the world. Did you think I was going to play nice? Naw man.

• Thumbs Up 3

DAY3

I would go with Mushroom Hill zone, its one of the more unusual of the first zone, while its still a jungle like area, its got an awesome variety of gimics, and lots of mushrooms, and a unique style that really makes it stand out from the first levels in the other 3 classic games

Favorite Opening Stage: Definitely City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2. It has an extremely catchy vocal tune, lots of cool set pieces that just get you jacked to play the rest of the game, and a really unique concept for a starting stage in general with Sonic fleeing from G.U.N. rather than bringing the fight to Eggman. One of my all-time favorite stages and one I was absolutely pumping up the music to max for during my first playthrough of Generations.

Looks like you'll have to use that answer instead. *chortle*

I'm a fan of the greatest scientific genius in the world. Did you think I was going to play nice? Naw man.

Shucks, edited then. 

I go for Tropical Resort in Colors just for being so wild and crazy, like Sonic.

Emerald Hill in Sonic 2 just for being the first level of a video game I ever played.

Apotos' intro level of Sonic Unleashed had beautiful atmosphere, a fun loop and catchy music that should be looped to the sight of people falling forever.

Day 3: favourite first stage.

This is a no brainer for me. City Escape, hands down. When I got Adventure 2 Battle in 2002 I thought Sonic skyboarding in was the coolest thing imaginable. It still has that effect on me. Then there's the vehicular carnage Sonic can start XD Lastly that Truck. I always took it as a serious challenge back in the day, now I get cocky with it to liven it up. Did I forget something? That song. Just watch Sonic conventions. It can unify us all. City Escape is the road to world peace!

Day 3: What is to be the First Stage, and how best is it?

I'm gonna be a blatant rip-off here and say City Escape. Firstly, it cuts the crap and gets straight to the action; this is incredibly disorienting on the one hand, but on the other HECK YEA SNOWBOARDING THROUGH CARS. Secondly, the level theme makes for a better Sonic character theme than just about every other one he's had. It Doesn't Matter how good the other ones are when you can follow this RAINBOW, man, if you know what I'm saying and you also know what I mean. And lastly, dat GUN truck.

Sonic_Adventure_2_Battle.jpg

How could one not be head over wheels for a beauty like that?? Well you know I mean maybe if you're run over but

And with that I've met my ADD quota for today. Tune in next week when Soma screams at passerby while injecting itself with purified Moutain Dew!

Day 3: Favorite First Stages

Angelisland101.png

The first one that's easiest for me to recall as being a favorite is Sonic 3's Angel Island. It's not only the firestorm that Dr. Crusher so beautifully explained, although that in itself is an impressive and cinematic stage transition even today. The fact that the beginning of the stage starts after you're beaten out of your super form by a cackling enemy immediately establishes both an expectation of arduousness in the journey yet a willingness to go through with it anyway because despite his power, Knuckles needs a literal supersonic ass-kicking and you're the only one able to dole it out. There's also the random drop ship which adds interest to the stretch towards the waterfall, further establishes Eggman's power, and is perfect revenge against Tails for his abysmal performance in the last game's special stages. Then at the end of all of that- the punch-out, the forest fire, the drop ship, the bosses, the only matter left to attend to rears its smug head and sends you to your suspected doom (but not to fret, it merely opens to the best second stage =3). 

It also has what I unequivocally consider the best song in the entire series; the Mid-Boss theme, simply because of that Michael Jackson magic. Seriously, get out of my face with anything else.

Sonic-adventure-dx-4.jpg

Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure is also personally memorable, easily so considering it's the first stage of the first fully 3D Sonic platformer. There was something about muscling in on the Best Buy kiosks to try your hand at controlling Sonic in 3D, to get a feel for his old maneuvers and the new Homing Attack in that medium. Seeing familiar icons with better speed and graphical output than any other Sonic game beforehand, all of the topsy-turvy camera angles, running from a freaking killer whale tearing up the bridge behind you, all happening amid the high-quality music that was both new yet still hearkened back to the sound of older Sonic games in ways Sonic 4's soundtrack wished it could. It was literally the best Sonic had ever been, and that kind of impressiveness just can't be replicated again no matter how much better the games have gotten since (at least not until our virtual reality overlords get their shit together). Even better was playing it at home, when you finally got to see what was beyond the tunnel that lead to the second part of the stage and subsequently see how the level fit into the context of what was- and still is- an appreciably-awesome adventure story. <3

Apotos2.png

The only other first level that gives me an intense feeling sorta like the above is Windmill Isle Day Act 2 (Act 1 is a tutorial level, so nyeh to you folks.) While it's not a jump to a new medium, it still gets easy refreshment points for coming off of the heels of Sonic 06. Kudos that it was pretty too. Level design is meh, and you could've probably discerned that from the off-screen footage that we were given. However, I wanted my hands on that stage really really badly, because oh my god, Sonic is running at 300 mph and blasting through tons of shit and ducking under obstacles because who needs to stop like a lame when you've got supersonic swag! It was new, it was unique, and it was just plain ol' fucking optimistic fun. It was the first stage in a long line of stages that spoiled me on what I continue to want out of Sonic games at this point in my fandom.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm probably gonna regret the way I ordered this later, but here goes:

5 ) Sonic Advance's "Neo Green Hill Zone"

sonic-advance.628330.jpg

I love a good welcoming; and Neo GHZ seems to do it quite nicely. Oh, and not just as a first stage, mind you! To a many of Sonic fans this may have been their introduction to the series. After all, this was the first Nintendo-bound Sonic game to be released.

And you know what? It does a good job encompassing what makes Sonic what he is, from the beginning up to that point (in fact, it kind of does in general). It keeps the contemporary edge to the Adventure style thanks to it's grind rails, SA-era badniks, trampolines and beachy shores; but it also retains the classic feel with the good old checkerboard land masses, wall crevices and grassy planes. 

It's so good that if I was to introduce anyone to Sonic, I'd probably do it via this game, with this stage. It's just such a good place to start!

4 ) Sonic 3K's "Angel Island Zone"

Angelisland101.pngangelisland21.png

Way to get you in on the action! Angel Island is an immediate jump into the game and sets the tone you experience from there on out: pure, unadulterated adrenaline. You thought you got it made? PUNCHED OUT. Making good time? THE FOREST IS BURNING DOWN. Gotta find Eggman, right? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD BOMBS ARE DROPPING EVERYWHERE.

And the execution? Flawless. A great introductory stage that gives you the ropes, lets you know what to expect, has its own special flavor of flow, and is brimming with enough detail and style to let you know this ain't your average Sonic game.

3 ) Sonic CD's "Palmtree Panic Zone"

scd-pp-appearanceimg2.png320px-PalmtreePanicPresent.pngPppresent.png

This is such a beautiful stage. Crisp, exciting visuals cover what really is probably one of the most fun speed-based playground stages the series has ever had. The American track for this stage is actually pretty catchy, but the Japanese track is amazing. I love this stage to an extreme amount; it really gets me excited to play Sonic CD every time and experience it's awesome levels.

2 ) Sonic Unleashed's "Windmill Isle".

tumblrm75xcrsp1m1r3tkn3.jpg

There's something about Apotos, and I think I can put my finger on it. It's that different flair to it. Unlike the other opener levels in the series, Windmill has a very specific flavor: Greek architecture on the outskirts of shady forest bluffs. It's a very scenic view and it gets you in the whole mood of it all; beginning with visuals that emphasize the 'world adventure' aspect and an atmosphere and musical tone that reflects the idea of Sonic in a Pixar-like take on his world. 

The opener Act 1 stage makes for a good tutorial stage and the second one is not only a good "getting the grips" level but also just a good level altogether. It's so welcoming, and fun. I would live here if I could, I'm telling you. Perfect vacation spot.

And number one is...

1 ) Sonic Adventure's "Emerald Coast"!

320px-Emeraldcoast.pngsonic-adventure-emerald-coast.jpg

500px-24166_full.jpg

This is probably one of Sonic's most memorable stages, and possibly one of his biggest moments in the history of the series: his jump into 3D.

And boy does it reel him in.

Emerald Coast brings you to what was one of the wildest rollercoaster rides the video game world had ever seen, back in the year of 1999. A great mix of speed and platforming sections, the now-iconic whale chase segment, and many other things really just make this one shine, not necessarily for it's quality as of today's standards (certainly not due to the amount of automated segments it has), but going by the emotion I had from playing it for the first time, put together with what legacy it seemed to leave.

Honorable mentions go to Green Hill, Emerald Hill, City Escape and Seaside Hill; which are all good but a bit on the overappreciated side. :P

• Thumbs Up 6

and is perfect revenge against Tails for his abysmal performance in the last game's special stages.

*ahem*

tumblr_muoy9t70hS1rcb0d2o1_500.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

view.jpg

Another "out of the crowd" choice for e in this regard. For me, Windmill Isle (or Apotos, w/e) is the best opening level in the series. Back when I had gotten the game, my jaw literally dropped when I was playing this. It's just such a good introductory level that immediately rockets you into the feel of the daytime stages. This is a level that shows you Sonic in a way he's never been seen before, and the fact it actually makes you feel like you're speeding through at the speed of sound. The stunning visuals, the downright beautiful and also calming music, and the satisfaction of speeding through the whole town makes this a winner for me. Even when I play the game today, I still get the same amount of thrills I did back in '08, it's seriously so good. <3

(edit: annnd I just realized I used the same image as Azoo's post. darnit, i'm keeping it because it's pretty yo >8U)

• Thumbs Up 3

ISN'T THIS OBVIOUS. BEST OPENING STAGE I MEAN COME ON.

be7b8944f8fdc15911b1d5d6d40581e1.gif

Best stage forever. Ever since that E3 demo that had that /glorious/ theme (which sadly got changed, bass was still epic but not as epic as the E3 demo version) I was atonished by how gorgeous Tropical Resort was. Truly outrageous, and outstanding.

Now I wish they released the Tropical Resort demo somehow... 

• Thumbs Up 2

My favorite first zones huh? Such simple questions but so difficult for me haha, and not just because I'm shit at explaining things as some of you are already well aware.

1. Angel Island Zone (Sonic 3): Let me first start off that Sonic 3 & Knuckles has more story than the first two, connecting each of the acts and levels through various cut scenes making not only the game but the island so huge in itself! And it's because of that which is why Angel Island Zone is so unique and awesome to me. It's the start of such a grand adventure (and to a greater extent where my favorite character Knuckles calls home). Sonic and Tails have no clue for what they're in for, and to make things even more awesome Eggman sends his mechs to set it all on fire! No I'm not part of the brigade who thinks it's cool to set jungles on fire but it's the first and only Sonic game to this point that throws that kind of curve ball at us as far as tropes go.

2. Resort Island Zone (Sonic R): Perhaps not considered an actual Zone seeing as it's from a spin-off racing title as opposed to a mainstream title but I love this Zone for two reasons.

One: I love the music here. There I said it.

Two: This was the first three dimensional Zone in the Sonic franchise and I had so much fun playing through it over and over again (especially as Eggman!), poor control or not.

3. Emerald Coast: Perhaps this should go above Resort Island ironically for the reasons I've stated above but meh it's already here and it's staying here. Emerald Coast has such epic music and set pieces! Who can forget the killer whale who has a blood lust for the blue Hedgehog, the tower, or that beautiful waterfall. Plus, it's the only place to see the results of Tails crashing his biplane. That's always good for a laugh.

4. Apotos/Windmill Isle/Water Palace: First let me point out I love Mykonos, ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I've always been fascinated by how it looks, the culture, and the mythology there. The fact that this location is in not one but TWO Sonic games (three if you count Unwiished as a separate game) blows my mind! Everything is here too! The locals, windmills (obviously lol), the mountains, even Petros the famous Mykonos Pelican!

5. Tropical Resort: It's Green Hill. . . IN SPACE! Okay that's a tad unfair, it isn't JUST Green Hill. . . IN SPACE it has a lot of unique set pieces that sets it apart from Green Hill. A beautiful rendition of Earth in the background! It's an actual city with futuristic space cars and everything, don't see any actual people though... huh, those totem polls that suck you up and spit you out somewhere else, and obviously the Wisps.

Hey Princess Ganondorf. . . where's City Escape on this list?

Well I got a secret for ya!

Come closer.

Just a little bit closer!

I've never cared for City Escape

:P

• Thumbs Up 2