Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Since most people are making top 5 lists, I'd just like to explain I'm not going to make one in this case as I feel it's more productive to describe the best example rather than filling the post with levels I don't really find notable. If that's a problem, please tell me and I will add more.

My favourite first stage is certainly Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Angel Island, largely in virtue of one sequence:

zeR3ToZ.png

One of the narrative elements the video game medium can use to its advantage is being able to build the plot, the world or the characters during gameplay itself and not only on cutscenes. Additional, subtle information can be transmited without interrupting the level to complement the storyline or present it in its complete form. This is similar to a battle in a movie; those can be so satisfying because they maximize their visual storytelling.

The first level of 3&K demonstrates how to tell the story in a simple and silent manner. Let's look at the when we first meet the level's sub-boss, Fire Breath. We can infer several things about Robotnik: First, he is determined to achieve his goal at all costs, even if it includes burning down the whole island. He has no consideration for damaging the world if it brings him closer to his goal (an aspect that would be later revisited with Planet Wisp in Colors).

(It's also worth noting how Angel Island uses background effectively both for showing the scale of the attack with the sheer amount of invading robots, and then the difference in the island's landscape.)

The event isn't descriptive just of Eggman alone, but also a means to advance the main plot. The burning of Angel Island and subsequent bombing bombing by Flying Battery help set the motivation for Sonic to move forward in the narrative. It introduces and develops the conflict. That's what makes Angel Island so interesting as an introductory level: it tells the story within gameplay, it sets up the theme we'll be seeing in the game, and makes the played eager to see what comes next.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Day 3: Favorite first stages

Ah, the first stages; The dawn of a new adventure, another opportunity to kick some egg-shaped butts. Here are some of my favourites, starting with MY first stage!

Sonic & Knuckles

Mushroom Hill Zone

AIYN5Cr.png

Ah, the level of the first Sonic game I ever played. Well, my memory is kinda fuzzy, so it's either this stage or Toxic Cave from Spinball. But I like to remember it THIS way. A whole new world opened in front of my eyes; A land filled with huge mushrooms, robotic chickens, worms and butterflies. Ah, the memories! But let's move on, with the stage that made me a proud Sonic fan!

Sonic Adventure 2

City Escape

lEOk6Dm.jpg

Wow! What a way to start such a beautiful game! On a airplane wing, chased by the army, rolling around at the speed of sound!  Such a glorious gaming experience! It was a blast! And the music! Oh, good Chaos, the music! But wait! There is another first level of another Sonic Adventure!

Sonic Adventure

Emerald Coast

5z2OI6U.png

This stage is PERFECT. Easy? Sure, it's the first level. But that doesn't mean boring! Sonic was welcomed to the next level of gaming, running on a sunny beach, chased by whales, thrashing robots and rescuing two-tailed freaks! This is a stage I would recommend to anyone asking me what Sonic is.

And, last but not least;

Sonic Advance 3

Route 99

cRSMQtv.png

This stage was not perfect, and it had some of the problems that would later be featured in the later stages. But I have a soft spot for Advance 3, and I just can't hate this level! Toy Kingdom, though...but it's another story!

Favorite First Stages

Apotos.jpg

Windmill Isle

Prior to Unleashed, the games gave us first stages that consisted of hills, cities, and beaches. And what does unleashed open up with? A city! However it's a city that has a much different flavor since it's actually based off of a real life location. You would think that blending real life elements with Sonic would be a bad thing *coughs*Sonic06*coughs*. But hoo boy does Windmill Isle prove that statement wrong big time. Hearing that guitar as soon as the level starts up as you make sonic boost through the town at high speeds was just so surreal to me when I played Unleashed for the first time, and I still have a blast playing this stage to this very day.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_Green_Hill_Zone.JPG

Green Hill Zone

It's nostalgic. It's classic. And most importantly, it's the stage that started it all, need I say more?

Favourite Stages... Well, it's got to be:

Neo Green Hill; Such a great atmosphere throughout the acts, the lovely beach setting really stands out from the others in the Advance series. The Music is also really relaxing to me.

City Escape: Fast paced, action packed, Police Chases, what else could you have? And the theme everyone knows all too well... The opening to the level is fantastic too, street boarding. Just cool. Grinding down stair railings, just cool. Getting chased by a giant truck that squashes Big, a little sad but cool sad.

Green Hill: I mean, come on. Iconic, good music theme, and just such a good way to kickstart what the series has to offer. It's Green Hill, what else can I say?

Can I just say that I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many mentions for Neo Green Hill? smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I like just about every opening zone in the series, but for brevity's sake I'll just list two that I love in particular.

Poloy's Forest (Tails' Adventure)

Poloy_Forest.png

Many people have mentioned Angel Island, but what about the other burning forest zone? Poloy's Forest is the perfect way to show off just how badass Tails used to be. Need I say more?

Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure)

Sonic-adventure-dx-4.jpg

I know a lot of people have said this already, but I don't care. Emerald Coast is a perfect example of what level design in a 3d Sonic game should be like. Generations' take on it wasn't bad either.

I love so many first stages, but my favourite is probably Angel Island. I love the music, the atmosphere, and the way the scenery changes partway through is so cool. Also, it's probably the most fun to play out of all the first stages.

Oh, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of SA3, I love Route 99, not so much for the gameplay but for the scenery.

Favourite first Level? Man that's like Sophie's Choice!

Umm ones I like in particular are

Angel Island

I really love how dynamic this zone is, not only in the storytelling but in the actual level gimmicks themselves. You have zip wires, multiple loops , heck you even run up the inside of a tree! Not to mention the transition in Act 1 to the burning wasteland it becomes and the bombing done by the Flying Battery.

Emerald Coast

I really love this level, the music is amazing, makes you feel almost like you are on holiday. The level really flows and the set pieces are great, the Orca is iconic (and they copied it in Green Hill modern) and really flashy too. All around just a great level that is so fun to replay!

City Escape

Gonna have to go with the majority on this one. City Escape has to be one of the most iconic Sonic levels ever and the first (I believe) to be a city stage opener. The boarding part at the start is a nice thrilling start but doesn't change the controls from the main game. It nicely introduced the other new mechanics aswell such as grinding and the somesault in ways that fitted into the level. And the GUN truck makes you jump the first time you play it, I literally shat myself!

Tropical Resort

This level really fits the first level trope really nicely and is a nice take on it too , it's so bright and colourful, it's what you would want from an amusement park. Although blocky at times the level is fairly short and inoffensive and dat music man... Dat music.

Honourable Mentions

Neo Green Hill

Really good level design and a really nice mixture of the beach, hill and city themes.

Windmill Isle

Although only playing the Wii version this level looks stunning and I really like the white buildings, a nice take on the city/town theme.

Green Hill

The original, arguably THE most iconic and ell known sonic level ever, and for good measure, this level really makes use of the original mechanics for the game and although easy it can test your skill if you are trying to get your time under 30 seconds!

If I had to choose one, I'd say my favorite first level is probably Emerald Coast. While it's kind of a rough game to go back to, in its time, it was amazing to see Sonic moving in a true 3D world. It was the first time we got a taste of the freedom and complexity that 3D offered the series, and I still hold that the beginning of the second section, with the big curved wall leading to a high and low path, is one of the most "Sonicy" pieces of level design that the series has ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmm. That's a tough question, but in the end I guess it'd have to be a tie between Palmtree Panic and Tropical Resort, mostly for aesthetic reasons. 

Palmtree Panic has CD's fantastic artstyle, and both soundtracks are great and go well with the level. (And who doesn't love those giant loops?) Plus, it's a very pleasant and happy level.

Tropical Resort is also pretty fantastic, the whole level looks so colorful and huge, setting the stage for the rest of the game. The huge neon hotels, ferris wheels, view of space, and general atmosphere are really cool, and so is when you hit the lower levels and see the creepy mechanical core underneath all the style and lights. 

Ah, yes, Sand Oasis from Sonic and the Secret Rings.

*snip snip snip*

Like Misty Lake from the sequel, I will say that despite not caring that much about Secret Rings, I do like Sand Oasis for at least being unique and providing a desert setting for a first area. And lyrics aside (don't worry, that's just my general indifference to most lyric themes talking), I like the music itself as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: Favourite first levels?

My few are pretty much what everyone else got, so I'll only list the ones to which I have something new to add.

City Escape

After spending the best part of a month at the Toys R us at the demo Gamecube, playing Pumpkin Hill, I finally managed to convince my parents to buy me SA 2. As a result, City Escpae was my first ever first Sonic level. It set the bar for what I could expect from Sonic games -- catchy vocal tunes, an awesome cutscene score ('Event: Let's make it!' deserves a shout-out here), a cool protagonist and breathtaking (at the time) set pieces. It was gripping. The level design itself was novel: set on the sloped streets of San Fransic-- I mean Central City, small park areas with grass in the level ended up being a lot more elevated than I'd like, and I genuinely felt on my toes throughout the stage, always turning a corner ready to homing attack any G.U.N. bots that might ambush me.

Resort Island

Sonic R, yeah. Come at me. So, the song for this level is awesome. Cheesy, corny, unfitting even. But you know what? That kind of horribly hilarious juxtaposition with the use of a pretty darn good song is why I love Sonic R and it's soundtrack. I was a wee 'un when I first got the game (on PC no less), and the controls were horrid and it wasn't fun at all. But, oh, the music for this stage (and the others to be fair), was so darn catchy that I broke into a beaming smile whenever I played it; I'm grinning like an idiot now just thinking about it. And for that, I love it.

Day 3!

City Escape definitely sticks out for me. The nostalgia aside, I really love the music and it gets me pumped up to keep pushing forward. The police announcers in the game make it feel all the more real to me - Sonic's on the run, and not on his own terms for once!

Then of course, the magical moment where you encounter the GUN Truck for the first time... muhaha! It was a nice touch that Sonic Generations made sure to really expand and re-imagine this level, and they did a fantastic job.

Tropical Resort was an excellent starting stage to Sonic Colors. You are thrown right into the action - there's not even a cutscene prior to the first Act! It really gave a sense of how huge the whole amusement park was with that rail section where you can see outside and get a glimpse of outer space; as Crusher mentioned in his original post, it's strange to see going into space at the start rather than the finish. If any stage is colorful in the game and fitting of the title, it's this one, with how vibrant the atmosphere is; it really feels like a never ending party.

Then you have Eggman's humorous PA announcements all throughout the stage. "Would Sonic the Hedgehog report to the security office? Sonic the Hedgehog to the security office. We would like to uhh... return your keys, that's it, return your keys! No need to be worried about a trap, because we only want to return your keys!" It really is a shame that going through the level often distorted them, but that's

Westopolis gets a final mention as my third. Though Shadow as a whole struck me as mediocre, I think this stage was really awesome. It felt really chaotic with the NPCs shooting at each other, and the music matched that sensation of complete anarchy. To me it really gave the feeling Shadow was going to be an "epic" game, and while I was disappointed, the first stage was at least a good start to it in my opinion. It really got the morality system down well, too - you can either align with Creepy von Evil Black Doom, the unmistakable hero Sonic himself, or just say "Screw you both," grab the emerald and run.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Favorite first stages eh? Well if I dooo de claaaaare~

1) Seaside Hill/Ocean Palace: Pretty much the new-age Green Hill, running through this vibrant, coastal environment really showed off how 'classic' can be brought to the 'modern' age of Sonic. Whale-shaped hill, pristine, crystal clear waters and amazing music just tops off how great I found this level to be. 

2) Angel Island Zone: What a way to show off what Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) can do than with this Zone? Beginning by Super Sonic flying into its jungle after said island crashes into the sea, getting his lights punched out by Knuckles AND having a story/scene/level transition to the jungle burning down around you? Cmon...you can't say that was awesome.

3) Emerald Coast: This being the first true 3D opening level of the franchise, it also showed off what Sonic can do in this newfound perspective. Not to mention the visuals (even if it has aged over the years, still is quite the sight to me) are just just as vibrant as they ever been. Not to mention 'Dat Sequence'. 

sonic_unleashed_Apotos_by_reggiebullock.

I'm not the biggest fan of the look of cities Greece,  (too much white, eugh) but Sonic Unleashed makes them look absolutely GORGEOUS. When I first played the HD version of Unleashed the visuals in this level blew me away. The level of detail (much like the rest of the day stages) inserted into Act 1 alone is quite impressive for a Sonic game. My only issue with it is that its too sterile. Like, it feels more sterile than Portal 1.

But much like Unleashed as a whole, the level design isn't exactly its strong point. The act before the real stage is an appropriate start for the game because it gives the player an opportunity to learn the mechanics. But the actual stage can get pretty tough for first time players at points, especially for a first stage.

Its pretty much the nice atmosphere, pretty visuals and nice music that sets it apart from other first stages for me.

320px-Emeraldcoast.png

Anyone who doesn't like Emerald Coast is wrong

What's not to love about this stage? The music is very fitting of the environment and super catchy, the visuals are lovely, and the level design is great. There's a nice mix of exploration, speed, and platforming all packed into the level, and it follows the mantra of rewarding good players with shortcuts and secret paths. It's a level I absolutely love going back to over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #3: What are your favourite first zones?

My favorite first zone? I think I have to say Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes.

3FhBjBF.png

This stage is basically the modern version of Green Hill Zone. It has green hills, checkered patterns, clear blue water, etc.

Why do I like it? I really don't know. Maybe it is because Heroes was the game that reintroduced me to the franchise and naturally Seaside Hill was the stage that greeted me at the beginning.

Nowadays this stage has been recreated multiple times in Generations and especially in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing.

C4s5gY5.png

While I really liked the Generations version, for me the original will always still be the best. But you just can't say no to this remix.

I can't believe I didn't mention Windy hill zone. I loved that zone. Speed running it was really fun too.

• Thumbs Up 1

So…favorite stages eh?? Okay then

City Escape: Right away you are thrown into the action with great setup, escape from the pursuing military, and the first thing you do when you enter the stage? Motha fucking street board down some alleyways. Dodging cars, going down buildings, avoid mechas and shit, this stage basically fulfills one of the prerequisites to a first stage in video game, make a great first impression, get the player interested in what's going on in the world and keep them wanting for more, great stuff all around. And of course we have the music, as cheesy as it is today, the track never ceases to make me smile at it's charm. Just a great opener all around.

Seaside Hill: Is also one that's dear to me, despite its overuse over the years. It's a very laid-back opening to the game but still fun enough to keep me interested until the end, the music track is always a classic and the colors are great.

Emerald Hill: Green Hill 2.0 but more extremely. Nice music, wonderful aesthetics not much else to say.

• Thumbs Up 2

~SSMB Has Cleared First-Zone Flabbergasting Act 3!~

This isn't the end...

Question #4: What are your favourite FIRST bosses?

hqdefault.jpg

It's a fat guy that swings something around. Same thing.

I know what you're thinking. "These questions are very dull, Lord Grandmaster Crusher of Crushablanca. Will there be more exciting ones in the future?" Yes. There will. Maybe. So quiet, you.

It's not a true adventure without a little bit of adversary, otherwise you wouldn't be saving the world and beyond from technopathic corruption in the first place. Even with the early steps, Sonic and Co. aren't free from Dr. Robotnik's forces of darkness. Sometimes it's the doctor himself, other times it's... it's not. But which of these very early showdowns tickle your fancy the most?

Note: You don't have to list these in any favourite-to-least favourite or vice-versa order if you don't want to. You can list them however you choose to. I'll be listing my favourites in order of appearance as usual, because I'm boring.

Crusher's Thoughts: Just like the zone it's from, I feel it would be criminal not to mention the Green Hill Boss from the original Sonic the Hedgehog (not to be confused with the slightly disadvantaged boss from the Master System/Game Gear version). Sonic and Robotnik supposedly had a hero and villain history even before this point, but this was the first time we saw them engage in hand-to-mechanical-hand combat. In addition to the iconic nature of the wrecking ball (which apparently used to be a welcome sign of some sort for Green Hill), this boss can be surprisingly tricky if you're not paying attention. But only if you're not paying attention.

Little shout out to the Doodlebug Mecha from the Master System/Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, for making lots of other people very angry. Maybe he should get a prrrromotion.

Meanwhile, the Genesis/Mega Drive version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has Drill Eggman, better known to oneself as "Car With Drill On Front". It's not the hardest first boss in the world, but you have to give it a thumbs up for the autopilot entrance. And it was the first time we heard the familiar Sonic 2 boss theme, which is a classic tune for many, myself included. (But why does the Egg Mobile suddenly need a propellor?)

Little shout out to Scorpius from Sonic Spinball, for being a scorpion with a Robotnik face. I would make a joke about hangovers here, but that would probably not be fit for me to make fun of considering that I myself have never been drunk throughout my entire life, nor do I ever intend to change that. So alas, I will have to leave the suspicion of mechanical scorpions with moustaches being a regular hangover-induced occurrence hanging in the air. Doing otherwise would just be judgemental.

Chaos 0, better known as... Chaos, from Sonic Adventure. You don't know who the fuck this guy is (unless you read the manual and/or didn't nod off during the dazzling introduction), but he's a liquid lifeform, and he's up to no good. Better stop him before he starts making more trouble in the neighbourhood. Chaos without any Chaos Emeralds is pretty weak and only takes three hits, but much like the rest of the battles with Chaos, this helps to give us an in-game demonstration of how much Chaos' strength increases as he absorbs more and more emeralds, until he finally becomes the legendary amoeboid hellspawn known as Perfect Chaos.

It may essentially just be "Car With Drill On Front Only With A Hammer Instead of a Drill", but the Egg Hammertank from Sonic Advance is another good one in my opinion. For a few seconds, we get nothing, and we can only listen to the build up of the ominous Jaws-like music. Then... smash... smash... smash... Out Robotnik comes, swinging his no I'm not going to make that joke here there are children reading this giant hammer like it's a flag. Then he starts using the hammer to make long jumps at the last minute, because he can make his machines do that. What a guy.

I reckon Sonic Rush Adventure had a lot of jolly good bosses, and the very first one - the Ghost Rex - was no exception. First of all, Sonic games don't often kick things off with giant dinosaur murder machines owned by pirate murder machines who themselves are owned and created by moustached murder men, but if they did, they'd probably be the best Sonic games in the world. Second of all, it starts off fighting you in a pattern that is fairly similar to the Egg Hammer Mega from the previous Sonic Rush, but halfway through, things kick up a notch. After a brief and hilarious scene of the Ghost Rex nodding off whilst freefalling (I assume), he then extends his neck and goes crazy with it, because he was actually the Ghost Giraffe all along or some shit.

And to top it all off, there's a pretty good beat - a gangsta' beat if you will - playing during the whole thing.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 4

Drill_Eggman_Artwork.jpg

For someone that looks incredibly intimidating in the driver's seat, Eggman really sucks at handling it, in all actuality. Ah, Western Sonic art, my love for you knows no bounds (for all the wrong reasons of course).

The first boss of Sonic 2, which consists of Eggman simply riding a drill to rid the world of those two nuisances, Sonic and Tails, is to put it bluntly, one of the easiest bosses in Sonic history. But hey, for a first boss that consists of the good doctor simply riding his machine forward, it still feels incredibly satisfying taking this sunuva bitch down. Especially since he manages to drain my rings every time I tackle it. Hey, the esteemed doctor has to kick someone's ass to feel good about himself, right?

It's beyond basic and simple, but for a first boss, I would say it does a more than fine enough job leaving a good impression on me. Thumbs up =)

• Thumbs Up 2

My vote goes to:

Chaos 0 for being one of the few organic bosses in a Sonic game and being able to stretch like  Mr. Fantastic.

Iblis Phase 1 also gets a nod for having dramatic music, nice visuals and creative gameplay wrapped around how you fight them.

Fav First Bosses:

1) Green Hill (I CAME IN LIKE A) Wrecking Ball Boss: The one that technically started it all as far as Eggman's mechs go. Simple in concept; the mad doctor attaches a checkered ball underneath his Egg-o-Mobile and swings it on an arc. Gotta give respect for starting us off into the myriad of bosses that will be fought against him.

2) Chaos 0: It pretty much sets up the opening act of Sonic Adventure (and is the very first intractable level you'll be in in the game proper). The atmosphere of the boss battle gives it an edge as well.