Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

To Penders, anything that isn't written by him is non-canon, including M30YL.

I'd ask if he doesn't understand what a collaborative work is, but the answer to that is quite obvious. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You forget that this is the man who proudly admitted that he worked with/acknowledged Bollers' work in the comic (willingly) as little as possible.

Like him bragging that only using a page with Mina in 150 was supposed to actually be an accomplishment.

I know he only started revealing his isolationism and mudslinging other creators recently on his Twitter (tho I think his admittance on ignoring Bollers was actually when he was still working), but it still baffles me that so many former creators testified on his behalf.

Did they honestly not know what a terrible person he is, or are they like Maggin who are so bitter about wanting to stick it to Archie/the comics industry, that they don't care?

Did they honestly not know what a terrible person he is, or are they like Maggin who are so bitter about wanting to stick it to Archie/the comics industry, that they don't care?

I keep hearing about what a 'nice guy' Penders is in real life... I'm splitting the difference and guessing that some of them really weren't in on how much of a douche the guy was, while others might have just been bitter like Maggin is. I can only guess Bollers was the latter... though I suspect in general they might have been aware of his flaws, but didn't realize just how deep it went. 

Well, a lot of history's worst people in the world were nice guys on the surface. Some were murderers.

Now, I'm not meaning to compare Penders to a killer, but it's easy for someone with negative or self-centered intention to con someone with the identity that they're nice people.

I'm seriously surprised that Penders still managed to get Athair from Gallagher. I mean despite the fact that Ken would probably believe his characters are better than other characters created. Didn't he at one point outright give Gallagher crap about Gallagher's stories in the book?

As for Ken acting like using Mina in Issue 150 is a big achievement. No. It's seriously not Ken, especially since she was written better by both Bollers and Ian. I mean Issue 150 in of itself is a pretty damn awful comic, possibly one of the worst Sonic issues ever and even when Ken wrote Mina, he pushed her character development back. At this point, Mina was meant to have grown strong enough to be over Sonic completely and is happy with Ash. Yet here, we have Mina running around with Sonic, since Mina is apparently not over him suddenly. So he took one of my favourite characters from the comic and pushed her back to when she was head over heels for Sonic despite the fact she's meant to be over him.

Well I guess that's just another reason I hate Issue 150 :/ 

I'm seriously surprised that Penders still managed to get Athair from Gallagher. I mean despite the fact that Ken would probably believe his characters are better than other characters created. Didn't he at one point outright give Gallagher crap about Gallagher's stories in the book?

He rather dismissively referred to Gallagher as having 'bailed' on the book when he went to go write Guardians of the Galaxy for Marvel. 

I can only assume he never made that particular opinion to the man's face, or Gallagher has the patience of a saint... though I thought him using Athair was still up in the air by this point?

I'm not sure but if I remember right, I think Ken announced on either his forums or Twitter than he has been allowed to use Athair in TL-SC although again I'm not sure.

Edit:I think I might be wrong, and It might still be up in the air, so yeah, I think you're right Horridus and it is still up in the air.

Thought so, and it's a good thing too. I'd like to think that, at least now, some of the people who helped him might be clued in to what a dickweed he is... course, even barring that, one look at those odious designs would drive ANYBODY away. 

Oh, by the way, It seems Ken has been planning for the rest of the series, you know instead of getting one book out to see how It will do instead he's making his whole series plans. He's now said on Twitter that Spectre's involvement with The Dark Legion is planned to be explored from Book 2 onwards. 

I seem to recall someone mentioning he supposedly had plans up to like, "book 7" or so. Planning ahead is good, but in this situation it's just kind of funny more than anything.

He's planning 7 books, a film, a app and who knows what else. He's should be turning his focus on getting the first book out because he doesn't have a clue how it will turn out. Most people who know about the project hate the book with a passion and see the problems in it. He's also said he's aiming for the book to be for teenagers and young adults and I doubt anyone will go into a bookshop and buy a book with characters who look like ugly Sonic ripoffs.

But didn't you hear? Penders fanbase is a Silent Majority! An invisible group far too mature for the incessant bickering of the internet! They have his back even while doing absolutely nothing to show that they even exist, that's how devoted they are! 

Oh, and it's not just teenagers. Young teenage girls. He's specifically said that he's writing this series for Young Teenage Girls and insisted that focus groups of Young Teenage Girls love it. I mean, what young teen girl WOULDN'T be interested in a series with an ad campaign that has featured nothing of the teen girl protagonist and more of everything with a 'sexy diva' villainess, a grown man meant to serve as the audience surrogate, and a grouchy grandpa cosplaying as Bat-Dredd? 

Yes because all young teenagers, teenagers, and young adults want to read a book filled with ugly Sonic ripoffs, the characters using 90's terms and trying to be as Technus from Danny Phantom would say ''Hip'' and ''With it''. Oh by the way, just since he is aiming it towards Teenagers, I'll just say that I'm a teenager and I can see all the problems with this stupid book series. 

I mean it, Ken's characters, especially ones like Evil Sonic, sound exactly like Technus from Danny Phantom. But the difference is Technus is meant to be out of touch on purpose, that's the whole joke with Technus, Ken can't get over the writing of the 90's and is still trying to shovel that down with every book he writes and it seems to be he seriously thinks that by using these kind of words, he's making his characters sound ultra cool when really they are failing big time. 

Man do I hate the fact that these characters are not going to be written by Ken. They were written so greatly by Ian, he made them interesting and made them the supporting cast, aka the cast they were meant to be in the first place! Now Ken's going to put these characters exactly back to how they were in Issue 150-159. Where Lara-Su only cared about her girly problems, where they held slumber parties, where a random plot device forced Sonic to go back in time, where our intro to M25YL was some old Echidna giving us a completely boring lecture about Angel Island which I doubt anyone cared about.

What's the first book of TL-SC going to be like? Lara-Su wondering with her girlfriends how she's going to get a boy to go to some echidna dance with her?!, Lara-Su hosting slumber parties, now 20 pages long?, Ruben figuring out how to tell his feelings for Salma? 

I'm really really sorry for this rant but that's some things I'm really wondering about, going off of what we've seen in M25YL at least.

What's the first book of TL-SC going to be like? Lara-Su wondering with her girlfriends how she's going to get a boy to go to some echidna dance with her?!, Lara-Su hosting slumber parties, now 20 pages long?, Ruben figuring out how to tell his feelings for Salma? 

Well, from what the script tease reveals, we already have them engaging in the time honored teen cliche of 'proving who is best' via a stupid race...

I know, that's another reason why It would probably be likely that sort of crap would end up making up the first book. If you want my guess, I say there will probably be a crap ton of padding in the first book.

I know, that's another reason why It would probably be likely that sort of crap would end up making up the first book. If you want my guess, I say there will probably be a crap ton of padding in the first book.

You're more right than you know. That entire segment was like, page seventy of the script. Seventy freaking pages to get to *that*. 

Oh great. Given the whole tagline of ''And no boyfriend, what's a girl to do'' It's probably means I'm likely right on the ball with that one. Even worst is that in that same teaser, we also got more lectures about crap in the floating island which I doubt anyone cares about since It's more or less a clone of Angel Island.

Well, a lot of history's worst people in the world were nice guys on the surface. Some were murderers.

Now, I'm not meaning to compare Penders to a killer, but it's easy for someone with negative or self-centered intention to con someone with the identity that they're nice people.

A murderer commits despicable acts in real-life and in fiction.

A Penders commits despicable acts in real-life and on fiction.

See what I did there?

*Player used for video is so old that my machine doesn't support it*

That sounds about right.

Really? Apple Quicktime Plug-In needed?

Yeah, screw that. You barely had me interested enough in your Micheal Taylor* character to actually click the link and be willing to push Play.

But if you can't even get it on a widely avaliable player, like Youtube, then why bother at all?

If anyone actually watches it, is Taylor* in a non CG model? Does he look any better in pencils then he does in in stolen space background half rendered CG Nightmare Fuel concept art?

*Yeah, I'm not gonna do that stupid wannabe alien name. If he's a human, just give him a f***ing human name. Echyd'nya is as far as I'm willing to go when talking about this stupid thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Biznizz 

Because It's Penders and he's sci-fi crazy meaning everything needs to have some stupid Sci-Fi name.

Why do I imagine Penders saying What a twist! throughout the first book?

Hello again peeps!

Prepare yourselves...

So, Penders has revealed prints you can buy at the con. This is one of Lien-Da;

BrnmLtjIUAEDRHb.jpg

The other is the Praetorian, Lara-Su's father.

Last warning before you head in. I dunno whether it'll elicit anger or laughter, but oh well.

BrnmjPdCYAImEt6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1