Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

43 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

And here we have the completed "Future Tails" commission with what looks like a copy/paste landscape background. Now to wonder if he is going for that giant Hershey bar in the sky or chasing some other tails.

Also, not sure if one half of his beard is shaded due to shadow or if he is Two-Face in part...

Remember this moment whenever someone tells you things can't get any worse.

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

And here we have the completed "Future Tails" commission with what looks like a copy/paste landscape background. Now to wonder if he is going for that giant Hershey bar in the sky or chasing some other tails.

Also, not sure if one half of his beard is shaded due to shadow or if he is Two-Face in part...

Why does Tails look like a human?

12 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Why does Tails look like a human?

I imagine he wanted to bring the design similar to the other uncanny valley members of his yet-to-be-fully released animated digital comic/app, whatever it's called.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, babsiwuff said:

Psh, that's what he says, anyway.  Besides that?  He already has Knuckles in there, complete with his OVA hat.  I hate to say it, but if Penders changed the name of this character to "Larry the Tapdancing Cat" or something, Sega wouldn't have much ground because at this point, this thing looks nothing like Tails, outside of the two tails and the vague shape of the character's face.

He could be placed into the comic being called Miles since I read the data files on his website and Robotnik in Geoffrey’s data file is referred to as kintobor

sonic might end up being brought in as King Ogilvie which I think was once suggested on this thread

18 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

Meanwhile, he’s back on the “Paramount stole from me” jag again..

Get used to it. Much like when Sonic was picked up by IDW, Penders is going to become VERY interested in whatever controversy or news there is about Paramount. Especially if he can find a way to make it about himself in the end. 

46 minutes ago, horridus said:

Get used to it. Much like when Sonic was picked up by IDW, Penders is going to become VERY interested in whatever controversy or news there is about Paramount. Especially if he can find a way to make it about himself in the end. 

That reminds me.  How did he take to the IDW comic at first anyway?  I mean, they took on a few of the artists and writers from the Archie run.  Did anyone approach him to join on?  Did he try to get hired with IDW himself?

I'd imagine SEGA wants Ken to stay far, far, far away from any and all of their properties so I doubt SEGA would allow IDW to approach him or hire him if he tried to reach out.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, babsiwuff said:

That reminds me.  How did he take to the IDW comic at first anyway?  I mean, they took on a few of the artists and writers from the Archie run.  Did anyone approach him to join on?  Did he try to get hired with IDW himself?

The odds of Penders being approached for a legitimate Sonic project or being hired in any connection to such a thing is zero to nil. Even in a world where SEGA could forgive/forget this lawsuit nonsense, he's been a nonstop jackass towards the company and the employees of Archie/IDW both during the course of the trial and its aftermath. His deeply unprofessional behavior would be reason enough for them to never, ever want anything to do with him, and that's without getting into the fact that his name is utterly poisonous to the Sonic fanbase just in general. 

As for his take on the IDW comic, it went as much as you'd figure- he suddenly developed an interest in IDW, made ominous references to sales, badmouthed Flynn, even tried to trash talk a cover that had been made by Yuji Uekawa.. oh, and there was an attempt to stir shit by suggest Rough and Tumble were potshots against Geoffrey St. John since they were both skunks. In short? He's acted like a big baby, and when not acting like a big baby he's acted like a passive aggressive dipshit. Business as usual, in short. 

21 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Boy I hope whoever paid for this decided it was worth it. Personally I can't fathom any substantial amount of cash being worth THIS- I mean for crying out loud, its just straight up hideous. The design, the color, the shading, that background... everything about this is just an eyesore. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I'd imagine SEGA wants Ken to stay far, far, far away from any and all of their properties so I doubt SEGA would allow IDW to approach him or hire him if he tried to reach out.

And even if that was the case, I doubt he would even consider it anyway as I remember it being stated before that he has had difficulty working with others, especially editors, similar to with Archie due to less "creative freedom" that he would be allowed to have.

No, he would likely prefer to work independently at his own pace with the stories he wants to tell and whatever designs he wants to use (provided no certain red flags be raised whenever his product is finally released).

42 minutes ago, horridus said:

The odds of Penders being approached for a legitimate Sonic project or being hired in any connection to such a thing is zero to nil. Even in a world where SEGA could forgive/forget this lawsuit nonsense, he's been a nonstop jackass towards the company and the employees of Archie/IDW both during the course of the trial and its aftermath. His deeply unprofessional behavior would be reason enough for them to never, ever want anything to do with him, and that's without getting into the fact that his name is utterly poisonous to the Sonic fanbase just in general. 

As for his take on the IDW comic, it went as much as you'd figure- he suddenly developed an interest in IDW, made ominous references to sales, badmouthed Flynn, even tried to trash talk a cover that had been made by Yuji Uekawa.. oh, and there was an attempt to stir shit by suggest Rough and Tumble were potshots against Geoffrey St. John since they were both skunks. In short? He's acted like a big baby, and when not acting like a big baby he's acted like a passive aggressive dipshit. Business as usual, in short. 

Boy I hope whoever paid for this decided it was worth it. Personally I can't fathom any substantial amount of cash being worth THIS- I mean for crying out loud, its just straight up hideous. The design, the color, the shading, that background... everything about this is just an eyesore. 

I know he had a SEGA liaison (I knew him and his BFF/forum mod IRL) but it wasn't anything specific; it was just some brand rep ackey who did the comic con circuit.  On a side note, that "Official Sonic suit" he had was awful, I got stuck wearing it once; the spikes were made of wood, and I have sciatics.  My spine telescoped.  

As for the "commission", I smell BS, and I doubt it's a commission at all.  It looks more like he drew it on his own accord to drum up attention for his comic.

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

And even if that was the case, I doubt he would even consider it anyway as I remember it being stated before that he has had difficulty working with others, especially editors, similar to with Archie due to less "creative freedom" that he would be allowed to have.

No, he would likely prefer to work independently at his own pace with the stories he wants to tell and whatever designs he wants to use (provided no certain red flags be raised whenever his product is finally released).

Yeah, that's the other part of the equation- Penders was pretty badly spoiled by his time at Archie and the relatively free reign he had during most of his time there. I doubt he has the discipline or self-control to reliably work in a professional environment anymore. He barely had it back when he was at Archie given the way he came to view it as his own personal sandbox that other people would 'intrude' in despite that not being how comics work. He really just... wouldn't be worth the hassle. 

47 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

As for the "commission", I smell BS, and I doubt it's a commission at all.  It looks more like he drew it on his own accord to drum up attention for his comic.

Skepticism is understandable given the poor quality of his work, but its not entirely out of the realm of possibility. At least one person has confirmed that they got commission work of off Penders... and that they deeply regret the experience.

https://reviewordie.wordpress.com/2022/08/08/ken-penders-a-commission-story-and-a-warning/

2 hours ago, horridus said:

He really just... wouldn't be worth the hassle. 

That should be the name of his biography...

"Not Worth The Hassle: The Ken Penders Story"

4 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

I know he had a SEGA liaison (I knew him and his BFF/forum mod IRL) but it wasn't anything specific; it was just some brand rep ackey who did the comic con circuit.  On a side note, that "Official Sonic suit" he had was awful, I got stuck wearing it once; the spikes were made of wood, and I have sciatics.  My spine telescoped.  

Can I please ask what official sonic suit?

6 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah, that's the other part of the equation- Penders was pretty badly spoiled by his time at Archie and the relatively free reign he had during most of his time there. I doubt he has the discipline or self-control to reliably work in a professional environment anymore. He barely had it back when he was at Archie given the way he came to view it as his own personal sandbox that other people would 'intrude' in despite that not being how comics work. He really just... wouldn't be worth the hassle. 

Skepticism is understandable given the poor quality of his work, but its not entirely out of the realm of possibility. At least one person has confirmed that they got commission work of off Penders... and that they deeply regret the experience.

https://reviewordie.wordpress.com/2022/08/08/ken-penders-a-commission-story-and-a-warning/

That reminds me.  Has IDW put any other echidnas into the comic, even as a flashback?  Or do they deliberately avoid that because of Ken?  I know Knuckles is the only one left of his species, but there’s always flashbacks and historic things like with Tikal.  Which also leads to another question.  Did Ken ever have any issue with Tikal?  Did he try to work with her in the Archie comic at all or include her in any echidna history stuff he thought up?

3 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Can I please ask what official sonic suit?

This thing.  Ken swore he got it from Japan and that it was official. But I’ve seen the official Sonic suits Sega has used, and they are so much nicer and easier to wear.  This had to have been a knock off.

23 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

That reminds me.  Has IDW put any other echidnas into the comic, even as a flashback?  Or do they deliberately avoid that because of Ken?  I know Knuckles is the only one left of his species, but there’s always flashbacks and historic things like with Tikal.  Which also leads to another question.  Did Ken ever have any issue with Tikal?  Did he try to work with her in the Archie comic at all or include her in any echidna history stuff he thought up?

Ken included Tikal for precisely 1 story, the Sonic Adventure adaptation, where she was colored wrong.

Tikal appeared a couple times in the post-reboot archie comics, as did "Nixus" (who was actually Naugus in disguise), but neither Tikal nor Chaos have appeared in IDW, nor have any original Echidnas. I'm thinking that's more due to SEGA's rules for Knuckles to be the last one than anything involving Penders, though. Nothing came of him crying about Sonic Movie 2, after all.

So now he is thinking of making an LSC game, though apparently he needs to be reminded again that his current product has yet to be fully released?

Though for the sake of curiosity, wonder what game he is thinking of? Hopefully not a sim dating one...

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.
  • Unamused 2

Penders, you can’t do a game and a comic at the same time like that. You’ll stretch yourself thin…

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Penders, you can’t do a game and a comic at the same time like that. You’ll stretch yourself thin…

I’m seriously wondering if he’s got ADHD or something.  He can’t seem to focus on this comic, he works on all his projects haphazardly, and his train of thought is really scattered and abrupt.

• Chuckle 1

Uh... Ken it takes a really long time to make a video game. Unless this "game" is going to be really short. I'd highly recommend scrapping it. If it's taken a decade with the Lara-Su Chronicles still not being out, this project has no chance whats so ever.

4 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Uh... Ken it takes a really long time to make a video game. Unless this "game" is going to be really short. I'd highly recommend scrapping it. If it's taken a decade with the Lara-Su Chronicles still not being out, this project has no chance whats so ever.

Maybe he's pulling a "Space Shire Seven" and making Lara-Su adaptable to "TV, Movies, toys, games and mobile apps"!

Uh Ken...you need to actually finish the Lara Su Chronicles before heading on over to video games.  Also, you can't just jump from one medium to the next that quickly. It doesn't work that way.

10 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

I hate to ask this, but shouldn't Ian Flynn technically own Scourge?

Short answer is "no."