Awoo.

Animal Crossing New Leaf~

Nintendoga

I've only had a villager do this once so far. They build their house in the middle of my bamboo patch I have near my coast in one area. Luckily, I had a few other trees and they only built their house a few of them. You would think this would have been something programmers would have considered when making the game. I had several other areas where there were blank spaces for places to build, and you build in such strange places sometimes and on top of other things you have been working on for awhile.

I've come to notice just how primitive this game is in so many ways. Lots of things, like the grid, NPCs repeating things every time you talk to them, and even the way you manage your inventory, are so rudimentary it's detrimental to the experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've come to notice just how primitive this game is in so many ways. Lots of things, like the grid, NPCs repeating things every time you talk to them, and even the way you manage your inventory, are so rudimentary it's detrimental to the experience.

Well the game still is similiar in some ways to the original version, just with lots of additional things to do that couldn't be done in the original. I do wish there were more things for them to say and that you could pick the house locations for people to move into like you can all the other objects in your town area. When it comes to the inventory system, I also wish there was a special place to put your tools so they didn't take up the entire top row of your inventory as well, because I need all those tools to do various things I need to do in my town.

That's why I hope a Wii U version is made. That way they have more things to say (more personality!) and things can be bigger and better because of the massive space on Wii U. And I bet the world of Animal Crossing would look gorgeous in HD graphics. <3

Yeah I was astonished that tools still took up spaces.  And there's so many niggly little awkward things.

For example, I was given a skirt by one of my villagers.  I'm not the crossdressing sort, but in case I make a second character just to use as storage I wanna make it a girl and play dress-up a bit, so I tried on the skirt to see whether I liked it.  I didn't, but never mind that's not important.

The issue is because I wear the default blue shorts, which don't appear as inventory items I had nothing to swap the skirt for, since it doesn't let you remove key clothing items like that, only swap.  I don't own any dresses and have no dress pro designs, so I headed over to Able Sisters to buy one.  They didn't have any today.  So I spent 500 bells on turning one of my designs into a pro dress design, just so I could put it on, then put my regular pro long-sleeved top back on afterwards, forcing me back into default blue shorts down below.

Utterly ridiculous process just to take off a damn skirt.

I also wish fruit stacked automatically, since 98% of your interaction with fruit is selling it, and 2% is giving it to NPCs, I don't see why they can't make splitting pieces off a pile of fruit the secondary process as oppose to primary, or just make it so giving a piece of fruit to villagers or shrunk gives you the option of "grab 1" or "grab all" when you click it.

Also the NPC conversational system should really be more intelligent.  If I don't have anything to donate, and I don't have anything to assess, there is literally no outcome to Blathers asking me if I need further assistance other than time-wasting.  Likewise there is literally no benefit to a not assessed fossil over an assessed one - when I click assess my fossil just assess all the ones in my inventory automatically.

For the record I'm still really enjoying the game though.  Haven't passed over a day without playing at least for a few minutes yet.

Edited by JezMM

The only trouble I've really been having lately in the game is making a decent amount of bells. I dont feel like playing the game for super long times like I did at first, so I dont want to spend hours making money. I got lucky the other day and got the gem rock, so made plenty of money there, but most of the time when I play, I only make like 15,000 or 20,000 bells in like a fourty five minute to hour period. The only way I really know is by fishing and gathering the daily fossils that appear every day. Is there a better way than this, or have I been doing the best way when you dont want to play for a ton of time to fish over and over and over again and hope get the rare expensive fish?

The only trouble I've really been having lately in the game is making a decent amount of bells. I dont feel like playing the game for super long times like I did at first, so I dont want to spend hours making money. I got lucky the other day and got the gem rock, so made plenty of money there, but most of the time when I play, I only make like 15,000 or 20,000 bells in like a fourty five minute to hour period. The only way I really know is by fishing and gathering the daily fossils that appear every day. Is there a better way than this, or have I been doing the best way when you dont want to play for a ton of time to fish over and over and over again and hope get the rare expensive fish?

go to the island at night and catch all the bugs

Go to the island in the evening and just catch all the beetles that appear on the palm trees. The lowest value of those beetles is 6,000 for the Goliath beetle while the majority of them are worth 8,000, and some worth up to 12,000. It's very easy money. To make things faster, get rid of all plants and non-palm trees, scare away any other bugs that appear (including hermit crabs) and dig up all the grass to stop bugs from spawning. You can make a few hundred thousand bells per visit.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Go to the island in the evening and just catch all the beetles that appear on the palm trees. The lowest value of those beetles is 6,000 for the Goliath beetle while the majority of them are worth 8,000, and some worth up to 12,000. It's very easy money. To make things faster, get rid of all plants and non-palm trees, scare away any other bugs that appear (including hermit crabs) and dig up all the grass to stop bugs from spawning. You can make a few hundred thousand bells per visit.

Interesting. I've never thought to go to the island at night to catch bugs. I've most of the time spent alot of my time fishing to get the things I want, that and the fossils as I said. I do have all the fossils in the museum now by this point, but I'm still missing some fish and bugs for it. Not sure how anyone would ever complete the art section, since the art guy is so random when he shows up.

Interesting. I've never thought to go to the island at night to catch bugs. I've most of the time spent alot of my time fishing to get the things I want, that and the fossils as I said. I do have all the fossils in the museum now by this point, but I'm still missing some fish and bugs for it. Not sure how anyone would ever complete the art section, since the art guy is so random when he shows up.

In my first week or two of playing, one of my villagers sold me a painting on three separate occasions. Two were fake, but one was real. I still have said villager (Roscoe) but he's not sold me any paintings since then, nor has anyone else. I was wondering if there was a faster way to acquire them too.

Edited by Blue Blood

In my first week or two of playing, my of my villagers sold me a painting on three separate occasions. Two were fake, but one was real. I still have said villager (Roscoe) but he's not sold me any paintings since then, nor has anyone else. I was wondering if there was a faster way to acquire them too.

Never been offered a painting by the villagers before, but if so, that would be a faster way of getting the artwork. I've only gotten like five pieces of artwork, and everytime the art dealer shows up, I check the wiki to make sure what stuff is fake and real. If he isn't going to show up that often, unlike the first time when I did buy a fake one and didn't know he did that, I always check the wiki first.

I spent 90 minutes at the island last night and made 1 million bells.

I spent 90 minutes at the island last night and made 1 million bells.

Wow, that is alot. I doubt I would spend that long doing it, but for that much money, I think I will turn the game on soon and play for a bit if thats really how much you can earn from it.

go to the island at night and catch all the bugs

DON'T GO TO THE ISLAND.

I'm telling you, even though it's a quick and easy way to make money, once you make enough, everything else in the game becomes completely trivial. I myself lost all interest or drive to collect/sell fossils, fruits or gems because I already had more money than there existed in the world. Sure you could pay off your loans and public projects faster but it removes nearly all feeling of satisfaction from rigorously saving and spending wisely, and once I had everything I wanted in under a week my interest in the game waned dramatically from having nothing else left to spend money on.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's one benefit to having to manually assess fossils: the outcome is randomized, meaning you can hoarde a bunch of un-assessed fossils and continuously reset for any ones that you're missing. It's how I got the last two fossils I needed since I was getting really impatient with hearing Blathers saying "Well well!" for two weeks.

Haha, getting everything does trivialize continuing, which is why I only do the island once a week. I still have  a whole room and the basement to get. The best way to play the game is casually, which makes things last much longer.

Haha, getting everything does trivialize continuing, which is why I only do the island once a week. I still have  a whole room and the basement to get. The best way to play the game is casually, which makes things last much longer.

Which is what I have been doing, playing casually. There are still many many things I need to pay off in the game. Right now I'm working on paying off the expensive town hall remodel. I still have other things though, like the store, club, and other things that haven't even been offered yet that I need to build and pay for. I have most of my house renovated, but there are still more areas I need for it as well.

Psssh you crazy kids should consider yourself lucky!  In the old games there was no way to tell a fake from a real painting and if I recall he only ever sold one (maybe two?) each visit.  At least now whenever Redd visits you're guaranteed at least one real piece of art.

I too play casually.  I occasionally visit the island and stuff for a quick boost of cash but I haven't bulldozed the place into a beetle farm like most people have.

I should've played casually I guess too, but oh whale.

The game is addicting as fuck and I'm not used to playing a game where it severely limits your play. Took awhile to adjust to, but even still I found myself spending a lot of time in game not really doing...anything honestly, as if I was just waiting for something I could do lawl.

But things started to slowly get more pointless as I got things I guess, so I see why it limits. Once I had a sufficient amount of bells after a few weeks of obsessing over turnips, getting my house finished/PWPs/items/etc wasn't really a concern and something I just did daily as if I was just running the motions.

When I got sick with that I got obsessed with my actual town which is still the most fun part of the game for me and before I told myself to stop playing here a few days ago was what I was still working on slowly. I really enjoy laying out paths and planting hedges and trees and whatever, but god damn does it take forever. 2 bushes a day, the off-chance a villager might suggest something (unless you grind for it but ughhh), and other little things just started wearing down my patience for the game.

At that point I started not giving fucks and decided to check out the voodoo of time travel, which I was surprised wasn't hardly as punishing as everyone cracked it up to be. However I was mostly time traveling back in forth of a few days to grind for villagers which was my last obsession in the game before I gave it a break. Resetting and moving the clock so much to get certain villagers to move out/new ones in was fun at first but over time started to prove completely pointless. Seemed like the more of them I liked that moved in, the less interested in the game I was becoming. It still blows my mind how that works out haha.

---

So yeah, 2-3 days ago I stopped playing for awhile and feels pretty good to not feel the need to check up on it every day. Don't get me wrong however, I think it's probably one of my favorite games of all time after playing it over the course of the summer, but I guess I learned the nature of it, which is I should probably just play the hand that I was dealt, since forcing change to how I see fit ultimately puts you in that "cheat code" feel where the shine and glitter of it wears off eventually and you kinda ruined the rest of the game for yourself.

So while I love what I've been able to advance in my town, maybe when I pick it up again a few months down the line I'll start playing more casually, or at least not obsess about it as much anymore *shrugs*.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I love the game I am too just finding myself going through the motions m, I just find myself going on, checking the mail, getting the fossils and the money rock, checking the store and then... That's it really. I used to grind for the rare fish but it just gets boring after a while, with other games I have to play although it is fun it can seem like a bit like a ... Chore I guess.

As much as I love the game I am too just finding myself going through the motions m, I just find myself going on, checking the mail, getting the fossils and the money rock, checking the store and then... That's it really. I used to grind for the rare fish but it just gets boring after a while, with other games I have to play although it is fun it can seem like a bit like a ... Chore I guess.

I think alot of us that got this game not long after it came out are starting to get to this point. I'm sure the game will be active for awhile to come due to new people jumping into the game all the time, but it does almost become a chore somedays and other days its not as bad. Its mainly due to how few things there are to do each day before you honestly begin to run out of things to do other than fish or catch bugs around your town.

I will admit I do have a particular routine now:

Attend to daily event if applicable (Redd etc).  Collect fruit, fossils, money rock and ore.  Sell fruit, ore and old fossils/donate new fossils.  Check shops, give Shrunk fruit.  Update Dream.  Return to house, save and quit.

Optional along the way: Check Streetpass Houses, talk to villagers I particularly like, and do building projects etc.

The sad fact is, I only do the latter stuff if I really have time to kill, being out and about etc.  The former I tend to only do when I already have entertainment beside it, like watching TV.

Anyone have Turnip Prices over 99 at the moment and would be willing to let me visit?  I put a shit-ton of money into turnips this week and got a decreasing pattern.  Really don't want to make a loss if I can avoid it.

EDIT: (Sorted, thanks Blue Blood).

Edited by JezMM

Mine are at 171 today but it might be better to wait till a later day to see if it rises to a bigger price. Try going on the gamefaqs online trading board to see if someone might have higher prices (I haven't been on there today but im pretty sure there should be somebody).

It's okay, Blue Blood helped me out.  His were only 112 but I was happy to sell at anything just as long as I could avoid making a loss.  I'm not in any hurry to make the game boring through having more money than I'll ever need so I plan to just sell at anything the moment a profit appears, and slowly work my way up each week.  Naturally though, a decreasing pattern is a spanner in the works for that plan.