Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Again., I'm pretty sure that bump is Sonic's eyebrows or something.

Also, does everyone seriously think that Knuckles' mitten gloves conform EXACTLY to the shape of his hands? If he doesn't actually have fingers under there, that'd be even more silly. 

Not conforming to the flipper hands idea (since unlike the equally idiotic flipper feet that frequently show up in official artwork, I don't believe Sega has ever made that clear) always did seem like a pretty stupid thing to get riled up over (I similarly thought so when people were flipping out over it for the Lebron film); but it certainly doesn't look like his hands are using the proper gloves. Seems too detailed in the separation.

Hm. 

I wonder what Eggman is going to look like.

Think about it:

ou0gtz.jpg

With the exception of Sonic Underground, every cartoon has had a different style for Eggman's design.

I wonder what he'll look like this time... and judging by how much they changed Knuckles... *shudder*

Oh god...

Eggman.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

I figure he's got two fingers and a thumb. And even if he's got a (mostly) normal hand under there, the big boxing glove fists are a pretty important part of his design, I think.

They're important alright, just like Sonic's eye color.

• Thumbs Up 1

If "Knuckles has fingers" turns into an actual legitimate 'This is why it's bad' reason, I will get so ANGRY. 

It kinda is.

Knuckles is known for his, well, knuckles.  His hands are the defining trait of his character design.  Changing those would be like giving Sonic a new hair-

Oh wait they did that too.

which bad news, just as the image of Sonic began to rise and now create such crap.

But... what if the show is really good?

Well, barely a new hairdo. Ah whatever, until we see the whole hog (see what I did there) I ain't gonna comment about it further. 

Edited by edvedd

It kinda is.

Knuckles is known for his, well, knuckles.  His hands are the defining trait of his character design.  Changing those would be like giving Sonic a new hair-

Oh wait they did that too.

The "knuckles" would be the pointy parts on his gloves.

But... what if the show is really good?

It could go either way at this point. But the fact that it's doing a 11 minute short episode approach means that we probably won't be seeing any serious or mildly action packed stories...

Edited by Soniman

The "knuckles" would be the pointy parts on his gloves.

Obviously.  But the whole hand is important.  S'pposed to be like a boxing glove or some shit.

If it's a character-based comedy, the redesigns actually make sense. They would obviously want to make their characters all seem unique and distinct from each other. 

Knuckles is strong. It's one of his defining physical traits, and Sonic fans know it. But if they're going to work this into a visual gag or plot point they're obviously going to want to make him look strong, too. The reason that Sonic character designs don't really lend themselves to this type of comedy is that everyone's more or less based on the same template, and look the same to an extent, so exaggerating their features to show that "Knuckles is the strong guy" and "Tails is the smart one" is kind of a natural course of action.

Doesn't mean we have to like it, but I'm personally not bothered as long as it has no effect on the games. I think we need to chill out, guys.

My problem with this is that it sounds so terribly generic.....like it's been done so many times before. But as you said, I don't have to like it so meh..

If it's a character-based comedy, the redesigns actually make sense. They would obviously want to make their characters all seem unique and distinct from each other. 

Knuckles is strong. It's one of his defining physical traits, and Sonic fans know it. But if they're going to work this into a visual gag or plot point they're obviously going to want to make him look strong, too. The reason that Sonic character designs don't really lend themselves to this type of comedy is that everyone's more or less based on the same template, and look the same to an extent, so exaggerating their features to show that "Knuckles is the strong guy" and "Tails is the smart one" is kind of a natural course of action.

Doesn't mean we have to like it, but I'm personally not bothered as long as it has no effect on the games. I think we need to chill out, guys.

Right. Distinct silhouettes are a trademark of animation. Using a video game character doesn't really force you to conform to any template. You go with what makes sense for the animation and the storytelling. And they thought this made sense.  

• Thumbs Up 1

It could go either way at this point. But the fact that it's doing a 11 minute short episode approach means that we probably won't be seeing any serious or mildly action packed stories...

But this show is only around 7 min per episode and it's one of the best kids cartoons on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWBuDaDqIs

(in fact this is probably my favourite episode)

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who is legitimately curious about seeing the full designs? I'm actually liking the stylized approach to Sonic and Knuckles!

• Thumbs Up 4

I still cannot understand why everyone is so upset about this; we have a promotional image without even final designs(something that can change), aiming at the same demographic that Sonic has always had, and focusing generally on the whimsical aspect of the series, something people liked about AOSTH mind you?

What's the problem again?

• Thumbs Up 5

Obviously.  But the whole hand is important.  S'pposed to be like a boxing glove or some shit.

And for all we know, he still will. We don't actually see individual fingers. We see his thumbs, his knuckles, and the outline of fingers which may still be under a one piece white glove and in most cases wouldn't even be noticed (since Knuckles tends to punch things more often than playing the piano). Hence edvedd's statement that it would be ridiculous if Knuckles having fingers at all would be used as a rallying point against the show (assuming this picture is totally indicative of the final designs).

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

This looks promising, but why is Knuckles way bigger than Sonic, when they are about the same size in the comic book. This cartoon will be better than Sonic X if they don't introduce a annoying character like Chris.

I wake up to see that Sonic Boom has been formally announced at last, and that it turns out to be this.

Bloody hell... I'm so upset right now. Those characters designs are simply horrible looking. I honestly wouldn't mind some slight redesigns for a TV and even in the games if they were good. Making Knuckles a bit more muscular and everything else could potentially be great. But the way it looks to be going right now? No fucking thank you.

Until SEGA show off more between now and the series' launch in a years time, I'm going to be extremely cautious. The makings of the show don't seem to be totally bad, which is something I guess. I find it's going to be of little consolation though if the show turns out be nothing like the franchise that I've loved for longer than I can remember. The character designs seem to imply that to be the case. Considering how strict SEGA are about Sonic's brand image these days, I'm really surprised to see that they're allowing this to happen.

Sigh... Please don't let this be a fuck up.

• Thumbs Up 9