Awoo.

Team Fortress 2

Urtheart

Is there any reason someone would want to permanently delete their extra weapons, and NOT be able to re-earn them?

As for the "Head" customization, I wonder what that will be like. I'm thinking it'll grant you extra abilities/stats upon equipping, but that might be a little bit disorienting unless it looks a lot different from the default "head gear". Like if a Soldier got a helmet that gave him extra health or resistance to damage at the trade-off of something else(just an example here) then I should immediately know that he's wearing it so I know how to deal with him, provided the method of killing him would change with it.

THinking about it, if the head gear is visible, it would give another way of sorting out spies. I still say though that if you shoot someone on your own team it should look like they're hurt, cos people spy check everyone, and make a spies job 20x harder.

Good point.

Anyway, someone on the TF2 forums has uncovered some info on what these items are.

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Scout" "Batter's Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Sniper" "Tooth Belt"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Soldier" "Soldier's Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Demoman" "Fro"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Medic" "Medic's Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Pyro" "Pyro's Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Heavy" "Football Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Engineer" "Mining Helmet"

"TF_Unique_Headgear_Spy" "Spy's Helmet"

The Demoman getting an afro? The Heavy getting a football helmet? And what kind of helmet would a Spy wear?

"DiscardExplanation" "You picked up this item but you don't have room for it in your pack."

"DiscardExplanation2" "Delete an item below to make room or press discard to throw your new item away."

Oh don't tell me we're going to have to choose what items we want when deleting them is permanent. That's cruel.

demoman afro DOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

give it to me now valve pump your magic juice into my veins!!! asadfafasdsags

That item discard/pack thing seems whacky though. Real whacky.

• 3 weeks later...

Piece o' piss!

A bow/arrow replacement for the sniper rifle that sticks people to walls. Awesome.

Unfortunately, there will no doubt be an enormous surplus in people playing the sniper when this comes out, and I hate facing other snipers because they become a huge distraction that just results in "sniper warz" where I'm only sniping other snipers- especially in symmetrical maps.

In other news:

Bah, it sucks being away from this game. I've been playing it very frequently for the past few weeks, and now I'm without it on an old computer.

"Now, hold on," you keep saying. "Aren't bows and arrows primitive and harmless?" Why don't you ask the dinosaurs? Except you can't, because the cavemen bow and arrowed them to death.
:lol:

That's awesome. and I love updates! Can't wait to see the new map(s).

In other news:

I can certainly say I saw the Bow and Arrow coming. It was fairly obvious from their last update and I can't wait for this new Sniper one.

Sniper was my first love in TF2 (+120h), and between round and round of L4D I've been meaning to get back into it. Used to be a pretty good shot months ago, I'm certain I can go back to form with some effort.

*cue training montage w/Eye of the Tiger*

In other news:

scout_vince.png

Edited by Dobkeratops

well now you have a bow instead of a sniper rifle. :) phf-tunk!

bow and arrow wars are going to be hilarious.

well now you have a bow instead of a sniper rifle. :) phf-tunk!

bow and arrow wars are going to be hilarious.

Tell me about it. I've always wanted to use HL2's crossbow in TF2.

I have to wonder what the Huntsman's pros and cons are. 1 second charge shots are obviously a plus, but the ammo clip is smaller only holding 18 as opposed to, I think, 24. So it would mean a trade-off of ammo for faster charges, but could that really be it?

Anyway, day 2 of the update came earlier.

Introducing a Payload map where BOTH teams are pushing bomb-carts to each other's bases simultaneously.

02_background.jpg

And 2 new arena maps, one of which features TF2's first weather effect; rain.

02_bottom.jpg

Looks pretty cool.

Tell me about it. I've always wanted to use HL2's crossbow in TF2.
HL2's crossbow bolts never pinned anybody to a wall though, did they?

HL2's crossbow bolts never pinned anybody to a wall though, did they?

Oh, they did. The crossbow is a gloriously gruesome weapon. Shame that you can only carry 10 bolts for it. =(

The other trade off for the bow and arrow might be no zoom, as it would be odd to have a scope on it.

Oh, they did. The crossbow is a gloriously gruesome weapon. Shame that you can only carry 10 bolts for it. =(

That's really weird. I never noticed.

Then again, I was a horrible shot.

The other trade off for the bow and arrow might be no zoom, as it would be odd to have a scope on it.

I think if they were going to mention its ammo capacity and faster charging speed, they'd let you know that it can't zoom.

I couldn't really imagine the huntsman being as useful as the rifle without a scope of some kind.

I think if they were going to mention its ammo capacity and faster charging speed, they'd let you know that it can't zoom.

I couldn't really imagine the huntsman being as useful as the rifle without a scope of some kind.

I shall reply by taking the important stuff from a recent post from the TF2 blog, and sticking them together. It might interest and illuminate you. :)

The Sniper has been a tricky class to update. In particular, designing an alternative to the Sniper Rifle has been a challenge. To understand why, we need to go back, way back, into the mists of time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and we started working on TF2.

Our starting theory was that, for death to be a positive experience, players had to feel like they could have avoided dying if they'd done something different. We found two factors that seemed to be important in light of that theory...The second was whether you felt you were actually engaged with the person who killed you. You're often killed by [snipers] while you're engaged with an enemy in the foreground, and most of the time the Sniper is so far away it feels like you couldn't have dealt with him even if you didn't have enemies nearby

In an effort to reduce some of the aggravation that other players feel towards the Sniper, we chose the goal of designing an unlockable that encouraged the Sniper to get a little closer to his target. We want him to give up some of his primary advantage in return for something else, so that enemies he kills feel like they were engaged with them, and feel like they could have survived if they'd just managed to fight a little better

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2477

So you see, the Bow and Arrow was created to make the person have to get closer. And to get closer, it means there probably will NOT be a scope. But it is quicker to fire, and easier to use ON THE MOVE. Yes, the Dodging Moving Sniper! I love this idea, I really do. :)

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2477

So you see, the Bow and Arrow was created to make the person have to get closer. And to get closer, it means there probably will NOT be a scope. But it is quicker to fire, and easier to use ON THE MOVE. Yes, the Dodging Moving Sniper! I love this idea, I really do. :)

Ah yes, I saw that when it came out, but I didn't even think twice about it.

Anyway, the Razorback looks hilarious. The poor spies can't catch a break though, can they? Aren't their jobs hard enough?

Who uses the SMG? Everyone and their moms' gonna be packing a razorback, effectively hindering one of the best spy targets. Can't say I feel sorry for them, though, I'm a Pyro person :D

I am currently too drunk to communicate how bad the razorback is in my opinion. It has something to do with the fact it has been designed to be used with the sniper rifle rather than the bow. Vulnerability to spies is what balances the Sniper's ability to headshot everyone.

Snipers have just become more powerful on 2Fort, which is a very, very bad thing.

I play 2fort... Occasionally. It's like a guilty pleasure every once in a while: like getting out the wine and after-eight mints.

From my experience of the level, the snipers are too busy firing at each other across the bridge for any of them to be a problem. Just get a Pyro across and you could have some toasty fun. Then all you need is the wine and the mints and you're set to go.

I'm getting the distinct feeling my sub-conscience knows I haven't been to the pub this week. XD

Edited by Skullivan Gerk

From my experience of the level, the snipers are too busy firing at each other across the bridge for any of them to be a problem.
Like I said; SNIPAR WARZ

But what's wrong with 2fort exactly? It's one of my favorite maps.