Awoo.

Sonic Lost World @ Gamescom

Zavok the SpinningSilver

Someone mentioned a video showing how the game can flow a few pages back. I'm assuming it's this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVG2z-_y8s&feature=player_embedded

I don't really have any friends or family who would want to play SLoW's multiplayer with me so I'll probably miss out on that feature which is a shame.

This is how a sonic game should be played

Someone mentioned a video showing how the game can flow a few pages back. I'm assuming it's this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVG2z-_y8s&feature=player_embedded

I don't really have any friends or family who would want to play SLoW's multiplayer with me so I'll probably miss out on that feature which is a shame.

mother-of-god.jpg

That was the BEST gameplay video of Windy Hill I've seen yet. Sega....seriously, you need to have this guy demo the game at ALL of your events. This shows that after you get use to the controls, the game gets really good. Looks so much fun.

• Thumbs Up 4

Such silkiness. And with enough practice, that's how the game's gonna look?!

I can't wait  to see the speed runners.

Is it me, or is Sonic's run speed not as slow as people are letting on...? Still looks pretty sharp to me, for this type of game.

• Thumbs Up 7

Is it me, or is Sonic's run speed not as slow as people are letting on...? Still looks pretty sharp to me, for this type of game.

He seems pretty speedy when he's ready to run. I think people might be referring to his walking speed though.

Sonic is cruising around somewhere between Adventure and Colors top-speeds, which is a perfect balance. The magic of the original Sonic games was the feeling of having complete control over an out-of-control character, so it's nice to see them working towards that philosophy. Slowing Sonic down at first seems like a step backwards, and trust me, I love boosting in Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but this is the better way to go.

Maybe they can save the breakneck boost speeds for the Special Stages in future games, or for a 3rd Sonic Rush game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic is cruising around somewhere between Adventure and Colors top-speeds, which is a perfect balance. The magic of the original Sonic games was the feeling of having complete control over an out-of-control character, so it's nice to see them working towards that philosophy. Slowing Sonic down at first seems like a step backwards, and trust me, I love boosting in Unleashed/Colors/Generations, but this is the better way to go.

Maybe they can save the breakneck boost speeds for the Special Stages in future games, or for a 3rd Sonic Rush game.

A 3D Sonic Rush game or something with that kind of speed does sound good. Hey, if the mach speed -esque stages stayed around, maybe there could be more of an Unleashed / Colors / Generations setup without the auto run?

And yeah, the normal speed is a good balance. Not too fast, but it's not at a snails pace either.

Edited by Spinning Silver

The only time I think the super peel out will be useful is on the 2D stages or a 3D straight if you plan on speedrunning also since the gameplay videos we've seen so far the red rings are hidden in hard to reach places but the prison eggs are looking at you for extra animals in the most obvious of places

The first half of that looked ridiculously automated. Turned onto a slightly hidden path, and then BOOM; springs, boosters and fancy, impractical camera angles. Hopefully that level of automation isn't there to be found in the rest of the game, because then the new gameplay engine would effectively be made redundant.

• Thumbs Up 3

No one ever Charges the Super Peel Out.

He did after the first cannon and loop-de-loop. He charged for about 3 seconds and took off on the second section of the level.

You don't technically charge the peel out since it doesn't make him run any faster, it's more of a extra animation detail to appreciate and add flair to Sonic's never ending abundance of cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally someone that can play the first level awesomely.

The best part about that wasn't really anything about the game itself exactly, but more over how it looks to when you'll be able to do it yourself. I don't know about you guys, but with almost every Sonic game, the first stage seems to be the one I replay the most and blitz through since it's fairly easy and just fun to run through. So having a guy display that for me jacks up the hypeometer for surez

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll have to admit that there was a ton of automation in the first half of the level. Hopefully this will not be an occurring trend in later levels. Still looks insanely fun though.

The first half of that looked ridiculously automated. Turned onto a slightly hidden path, and then BOOM; springs, boosters and fancy, impractical camera angles. Hopefully that level of automation isn't there to be found in the rest of the game, because then the new gameplay engine would effectively be made redundant.

Taken from the up-loader.

"Believe it or not... none of it's automated. It's all controlled in this game. Only the third stage of this demo had automated movement."

Impressive, considering the last games we've had were literally hold forward and boost.

• Thumbs Up 1

He did after the first cannon and loop-de-loop. He charged for about 3 seconds and took off on the second section of the level.

If it works like it did in CD(which it apparently doesn't work at all)that doesn't make him move any faster and just blurst movement before he actually running.

Edited by Chrononego

There was more interaction still in Windy Hill then there was in Green Hill Zone/Apotos in Generations/Unleashed. 

Still Windy Hill is still better than both since at least you have the choice to NOT take the automated path. Where as every path you could possibly take in the starting stages of the HD games pretty much play themselves.

Edited by Voyant

I'll have to admit that there was a ton of automation in the first half of the level. Hopefully this will not be an occurring trend in later levels. Still looks insanely fun though.

The last part was "Automated"(in the way of Sonic simulator zone 4 act 2)the other parts were the game leading you to the automated section.

Edited by Chrononego

Taking look again, the Super Peel Out does indeed charge up like the Spindash. Because looking back, the blur on Sonic's running animation looks more like Classic Sonic's when not running near Top speed. His legs don't blur until top speed that isn't in a automated section. I also looked at the second interview with Aaron Webber, he clearly charged it when try to parkour up the tree from standing position. Sonic also tumbles when landing on another part of the level from Spring transitions.

Taken from the up-loader.

Impressive, considering the last games we've had were literally hold forward and boost.

Er no. 

Those chains of speed boosters and springs, pretty much do all the work for you for a large portion of the first section of that level. 

There was more interaction still in Windy Hill then there was in Green Hill Zone/Apotos in Generations/Unleashed. 

Still Windy Hill is still better than both since at least you have the choice to NOT take the automated path. Where as every path you could possibly take in the starting stages of the HD games pretty much play themselves.

Being better than Generations or Unleashed doesn't make the the heavily automated sections OK.

Also, having the choice to avoid the automated path, doesn't excuse it either. Why is it even there at all? Why give a player the option of allowing the game to momentarily play itself? Once that's determined to be the fasted route for an average player, that's all they'll do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If you don't wish to start the automated cutscene, you can jump over the dash pads that initiate it and just play the sequence yourself.