Awoo.

Sonic Lost World @ Gamescom

Zavok the SpinningSilver

Brb, packing my bags. If the UK looks like the levels do in Generations, I'm clearly living in the wrong country. I'll be right there. I have to say, your backyard must be lovely!

If you take something that has the art style I just spoke about and remake it super realistic, you're just going to get the same thing in giant detail. I was referring more to Unleashed in my quote of super realistic areas. Either way it does looks beautiful and I'm not saying it doesn't, I just appreciate Lost World's art style for what it is and it's trying to achieve, and how it captures my attention and pulls me into this vibrant world and atmosphere it creates. *shrug*

Edited by Symbotic

And yet the only solution is to sacrifice everything else?

They aren't sacrificing much.

Preeeeeetty sure this only applies if you're good enough at the levels to boost your way through the entire thing. Easier said then done. If I didn't have school tomorrow I'd be happy to test this theory.

About the only thing that's hard about modern GHZ is that ramp right at the start, since you need to airboost at a particular time to cross it, and remembering to let Sonic coast a bit since the game doesn't throw boost energy at you like Unleashed did, and no control stick means no tricks. Other than that you basically just take the top route and don't make any glaring mistakes and it's piss-easy.

Fair enough, but I don't see why this immediately connotes cheap or lazy game design.

When you call yourself classic but can't actually be assed to be classic...
  • Thumbs Up 1

This opens up far more than just free movement, but whatever. 

There's also been indications that we'll still have story elements in the level(Tails's plane appearing to go out of control in Windy Hill, for example.) The visuals also weren't sacrificed. They're a different style. The atmosphere is also still there, it's just, again, different. 

We'll see as far as story goes. I'm skeptical, considering I dislike pretty much everything else about the game, but I'll watch a playthrough.

In Unleashed you had to go from a (hub world) town to a temple deep in the jungle. The level begins on the shores, in the town, then carries into the jungle, over the ocean, back into the jungle, past some ruins, and finally the temple.

In Lost World on one end of a tube floating in the sky, then finish on the other end of the tube floating in the sky.

Different? Yeah. Inherently bad? Not really, I guess. But you can't seriously be suggesting that nothing has been lost here.

If you take something that has the art style I just spoke about and remake it super realistic, you're just going to get the same thing in giant detail. I was referring more to Unleashed in my quote of super realistic areas. Either way it does looks beautiful and I'm not saying it doesn't, I just appreciate Lost World's art style for what it is and it's trying to achieve, and how it captures my attention and pulls me into this vibrant world and atmosphere it creates. *shrug*

That's fine, I get what you're saying. Though I don't see how a fantastical interpretation of the real world is an inherently bad thing. Hell, you're obviously a huge fan of the Last of Us, and that was about as realistic as it gets, no? 

They aren't sacrificing much.

Yes they are.

I can do this too.

About the only thing that's hard about modern GHZ is that ramp right at the start, since you need to airboost at a particular time to cross it, and remembering to let Sonic coast a bit since the game doesn't throw boost energy at you like Unleashed did, and no control stick means no tricks. Other than that you basically just take the top route and don't make any glaring mistakes and it's piss-easy.

So basically what you said was hyperbole and you can't actually do it.

And yes, the first level is easy. Shocker.

When you call yourself classic but can't actually be assed to be classic...

New interpretation of an old style. Much like how the aesthetics of the levels themselves were designed with artistic liberty, they took liberties with the gameplay and designed it how they wanted to.

It's still mechanically solid and well designed in its own right, so no, it isn't cheap or lazy to me at all.
  • Thumbs Up 1

We'll see as far as story goes. I'm skeptical, considering I dislike pretty much everything else about the game, but I'll watch a playthrough.

In Unleashed you had to go from a (hub world) town to a temple deep in the jungle. The level begins on the shores, in the town, then carries into the jungle, over the ocean, back into the jungle, past some ruins, and finally the temple.

In Lost World on one end of a tube floating in the sky, then finish on the other end of the tube floating in the sky.

Different? Yeah. Inherently bad? Not really, I guess. But you can't seriously be suggesting that nothing has been lost here.

I do see your point. Unleashed did have a nice sense of progression, though Sonic games in general treated that aspect pretty poorly overall, so I wasn't exactly down over them just not worrying about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do see your point. Unleashed did have a nice sense of progression, though Sonic games in general treated that aspect pretty poorly overall, so I wasn't exactly down over them just not worrying about it.

Honestly, I think part of what really makes me bitter towards Lost World is that I was expecting and very much hoping for another game of Unleashed's caliber as far as scale, scope, and sense of adventure go. The past three games told me that they're done making extremely asinine design choices that kill the entire game (coughcoughwerehogbigtreasurehunting), so I was incredibly excited.

... Then I got a game that's pretty much the exact opposite of all of that. I'm still rather salty.

It is completely possible to beat Green Hill Modern with one hand without much trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sn-tzO5YU

Like, seriously. I love Generations, but you have to admit it's a little silly, first level or not. :v

ANYHOW, more on topic. Has there been any more footage from Gamecom that's popped up or do we have everything? I want to see more Silent Forest, darnit.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 6

So basically what you said was hyperbole and you can't actually do it.

I have absolutely no idea how you got that out of what I said. I can and have.

And yes, the first level is easy. Shocker.

Man I did fuckin' Skyscraper Scamper once.

New interpretation of an old style. Much like how the aesthetics of the levels themselves were designed with artistic liberty, they took liberties with the gameplay and designed it how they wanted to.

And still wanted the credit for being "classic" while doing nothing classic but the surface details.

It's still mechanically solid and well designed in its own right

...how?

Honestly, I think part of what really makes me bitter towards Lost World is that I was expecting and very much hoping for another game of Unleashed's caliber as far as scale, scope, and sense of adventure go. The past three games told me that they're done making extremely asinine design choices that kill the entire game (coughcoughwerehogbigtreasurehunting), so I was incredibly excited.

... Then I got a game that's pretty much the exact opposite of all of that. I'm still rather salty.

I heard Unleashed's development was kind of really hard on the developers, so I wouldn't want them to try something like that again until they build some sort of foundation for Sonic.

Also, I gotta say, separated, extremely off their rocker environments that take advantage of the fact that this is indeed a game can be just as engaging as a more realistic, connected, saner environment that's trying to build a believable world for the player. It's all about how you take advantage of what you can do now that you're "off the leash" so to speak. 

I don't know if that made any sort of sense, but yeah...

Sonic lost world should be fun! I hope to get it the day it comes out! I am unsure if i like the idea of using wisps again, but I guess it could be cool :). Sometimes I think that Sonic games are trying to be Mario games. Mario games are prefect for Mario, but not Sonic! Lets just hope it doesn't do that this time around :).

Sonic lost world should be fun! I hope to get it the day it comes out! I am unsure if i like the idea of using wisps again, but I guess it could be cool smile.png. Sometimes I think that Sonic games are trying to be Mario games. Mario games are prefect for Mario, but not Sonic! Lets just hope it doesn't do that this time around smile.png.

.......... Eeeeesh.. *facepalms*

• Thumbs Up 2

.......... Eeeeesh.. *facepalms*

...............Way to be subtle about your distaste.

Edited by Chaos Warp

...............Way to be subtle about your distaste.

Distaste? More like I can't believe it wasn't even an hour before we got back onto the Mario talk again.

Distaste? More like I can't believe it wasn't even an hour before we got back onto the Mario talk again.

The Mario comparisons are somewhat justified though. I'm not saying it's a problem though. 

Kind of sick of seeing all this notion of SLW being graphically inferior compared to other games, it's fucking bullshit because we've pointed out so many times that it isn't the case and the detail in this game is mind blowing, yeah it's simplified, it's all part of the new art direction for this game, doesn't make it any less beautiful though and quite frankly I'm getting pissed off when it's being shit on as if it's got nothing on the past boost trio of games, this game is teeming with detail both hidden and clearly slapped in your face.

I agree, SLW is by no means "graphically inferior". It goes for a completely different art style than the last few games (almost to the point where they're not really comparable) and pulls it off quite nicely. Though, I do believe that compared to the last two games it is... (how do I say this without pissing someone off) ...technically downgraded. This by no means will hinder my enjoyment of it but I do hope that Sonic Team will take full advantage of the hardware they're using next time around.

I mean, this looks great!

jo1q.jpg

But...

y6z3.jpg

... is it wrong to want to revisit something like this again in the future with improved gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, there isn't any treasurehunting/wherehogging/bigfishing in SLW either.  Did you basically just want another Unleashed?  Because with Colors and Generations, you could begin to see the streamlining of the franchise (no more hub worlds, games that start with actual gameplay as opposed to 5 min cg cutscenes) that ends with SLW.  I'm pretty sure Unleashed broke the bank, more or less.  Hell, the director left the company shortly after its release.  I think it was a struggle for them to develop on all fronts.    

I agree, SLW is by no means "graphically inferior". It goes for a completely different art style than the last few games (almost to the point where they're not really comparable) and pulls it off quite nicely. Though, I do believe that compared to the last two games it is... (how do I say this without pissing someone off) ...technically downgraded. This by no means will hinder my enjoyment of it but I do hope that Sonic Team will take full advantage of the hardware they're using next time around.

I mean, this looks great!

jo1q.jpg

But...

y6z3.jpg

... is it wrong to want to revisit something like this again in the future with improved gameplay?

but this is simply an issue of taste and where you want to focus your resources.  That adabat screenshot, while lovely, is pretty much all window dressing.  You can't interact with anything but that small path and the ramp down there.  ST has instead decided to focus their resources on actual gameplay oriented elements.  I'd take a less photorealistic level populated with neat inter actable touches like sheep and trees to climb than a fancy one that when stripped down to its barest form is just a hallway.  

• Thumbs Up 2

But...

y6z3.jpg

No it's not wrong, but is it wrong if I want Sonic to continue to try new things and new art styles? Because without it we wouldn't have Sonic Riders and that sweet ass cartoon opening, or we wouldn't have any of the Storybook games where the writers focus on portraying Sonic as a character, hell we wouldn't have gotten Rush! Come on let Sonic Team do their thang'.

They can always return to Unleashed/Generations level of detail in another game.

• Thumbs Up 7

This game is gonna be amazing and I'm pre-ordering as soon as the Deadly Six Edition pops up somewhere. Kinda weird how it's not even listed on any site I know of as of yet... Ah well, I'll give it another week or two. Nintendo's sucking my wallet dry this year, ayayay...

Actually, everywhere that's taking pre-orders now should automatically give you the Deadly Six Edition once it comes out! It's basically the Bonus Edition for All-Stars Racing Transformed, where all the first-run of copies will be it.

... though I'm still rather cautious as well, even though I already put in my pre-order just last night. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

but this is simply an issue of taste and where you want to focus your resources.  That adabat screenshot, while lovely, is pretty much all window dressing.  You can't interact with anything but that small path and the ramp down there.  ST has instead decided to focus their resources on actual gameplay oriented elements.  I'd take a less photorealistic level populated with neat inter actable touches like sheep and trees to climb than a fancy one that when stripped down to its barest form is just a hallway.  

No it's not wrong, but is it wrong if I want Sonic to continue to try new things and new art styles? Because without it we wouldn't have Sonic Riders and that sweet ass cartoon opening, or we wouldn't have any of the Storybook games where the writers focus on portraying Sonic as a character, hell we wouldn't have gotten Rush! Come on let Sonic Team do their thang'.

They can always return to Unleashed/Generations level of detail in another game.

No, but that's what I'm saying. I fully agree with the open gameplay approach taken in LW. I highly agree with trying new things! I love a multitude of things that are coming out of this game. I'm just saying that I hope later down the line this generation that Sonic Team can fully realize not just what a sonic game should FEEL like, but what it can also LOOK like as well. It doesn't have to look like Unleashed, but damn if I wouldn't love to have another moment in game where I can be amazed at something like how light actually cast shadows of leaves in a tree on Sonic... it's the small things.

But hey, Vizard is right. I highly enjoyed the news that came out of Gamescom and I am especially relieved that the Deadly SIx DLC will be available in America unlike the generations collectors edition. I'll admit that I'm really not that familiar with NiGHTS but if there is one thing that has always caught my eye it's the boss battles. Also, that 60 fps is going to look fine on my TV. Color me psyched for October.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but that's what I'm saying. I fully agree with the open gameplay approach taken in LW. I highly agree with trying new things! I love a multitude of things that are coming out of this game. I'm just saying that I hope later down the line this generation that Sonic Team can fully realize not just what a sonic game should FEEL like, but what it can also LOOK like as well. It doesn't have to look like Unleashed, but damn if I wouldn't love to have another moment in game where I can be amazed at something like how light actually cast shadows of leaves in a tree on Sonic... it's the small things.

But hey, Vizard is right. I highly enjoyed the news that came out of Gamescom and I am especially relieved that the Deadly SIx DLC will be available in America unlike the generations collectors edition. I'll admit that I'm really not that familiar with NiGHTS but if there is one thing that has always caught my eye it's the boss battles. Also, that 60 fps is going to look fine on my TV. Color me psyched for October.

Agreed.  And maybe in the future, they'll find a happy medium that's able to satisfy those who really pine for those kinds of visuals.  In the meantime, a whole host of new shots have been posted at http://nintendoeverything.com/tons-of-sonic-lost-world-screenshots/

a handful of which I believe are from the tropical coast level if the tiki heads are any indication.  

slw-58-1.jpg

slw-5-1.jpg

Edited by Radrappy
  • Thumbs Up 7

But hey, Vizard is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSjydW2Ik0

Agreed.  And maybe in the future, they'll find a happy medium that's able to satisfy those who really pine for those kinds of visuals.  In the meantime, a whole host of new shots have been posted at http://nintendoeverything.com/tons-of-sonic-lost-world-screenshots/

a handful of which I believe are from the tropical coast level if the tiki heads are any indication.  

slw-58-1.jpg

slw-5-1.jpg

GALLERY IS SO YUMMY OH MY GOD AAAAAH

• Thumbs Up 3

.............Fuck it. I'm not looking at that gallery. I don't want too much of the tropical zone to be spoiler for me. 

Edit: New page! Quoting for the sake of keeping the train going;

slw-58-1.jpg

slw-5-1.jpg

slw-9-1.jpg

It's like the pages of a flipbook coming to life!

... do the after-images really last that long? I mean, this is such a cool thing that we likely won't be able to see most of the time, considering the forward camera...

Edited by t0ms0nic
  • Thumbs Up 2