Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I can honestly say that I will not buy the game if it doesn't have Sonic and Tails!

If the next Sonic game doesn't have Mario in it, I'm not fucking buying it!

Edited by Super Smash Wario
  • Thumbs Up 7

Even if it doesn't, I can honestly say that I will not buy the game if it doesn't have Sonic and Tails!

So you're basically not a fan of Super Smash Bros. You just want to see Sonic dicking around. You could pick up any old shitty Sonic game and see that.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh, while I wouldn't entertain the thought of outright passing on getting this game altogether, I still would feel somewhat disappointed if Sonic doesn't make the cut.

• Thumbs Up 3

So you're basically not a fan of Super Smash Bros. You just want to see Sonic dicking around. You could pick up any old shitty Sonic game and see that.

Okay, guys. Seriously. Call ElectroKyurem's post an extreme reaction if you want; but let's not pretend that there wouldn't be a massive outcry if one of the most popular characters in one game doesn't make the jump to the sequel and start up this "true fan" bullshit.

Gods Mods forgive me, but you're an idiot.

Nope. That's way over the line.

• Thumbs Up 6

We know they can't include other Sonic characters, because then the critics would rip the game for too many "shitty friends". You know this, guys. ;)

Just to make sure, has the character roster been finalized yet?

No, nowhere close lol

Holy fuck somebody else gets it.

It doesn't matter if Sonic has a close history with Nintendo, or even the partnership. Smash is still a Nintendo game first and foremost. Sakurai chooses which characters get in and he said he didn't want to include too many 3rd parties. I'm expecting only 2 3rd parties and either Pac-Man or Rayman filling in the 2nd spot.

If Rayman gets in I hope he plays (and looks) as he is in Origins or Legends. He can run and jump like he does in the game, and his standard and "charged" punches can be made with the standard fight button/A button button and the D-Pad button will be his "charged" punches. Throw in some Rayman-humor based special attacks (with his helicopter hair being used as a basis for a Up + B/Special move) and he could be another tier character of the humorous kind a la Wario. Any/various stage(s) from Origins or (preferably) Legends could work as moving/rotating stage. Betilla or Rebecca would also be reasonable assist trophies.

With all of the above considered, it would make a lot of sense to have Rayman in had Legends stayed a Wii U exclusive.

Edited by Yeow95

I highly doubt Rayman has a real shot. Third party characters in Smash aren't just characters who happen to come from good games, or franchises that have histories with Nintendo systems. They're characters with legacies. Snake was a big character that a lot of people knew (and Kojima begged, but that's besides the point). Sonic is a big character and one of the former industry giant's mascots. Mega Man was hugely requested and was is a huge Capcom star.

Chances are we won't be seeing Rayman, or Klonoa, or any secondary Sonic characters at all.

We're more likely to see hulked out Iwata than we are to see characters like Rayman or Klonoa who have nothing to do with Nintendo nor have much of a history to begin with (or more specifically in the case of the latter, characters specifically associated with Sony).

We're more likely to see hulked out Iwata than we are to see characters like Rayman or Klonoa who have nothing to do with Nintendo nor have much of a history to begin with (or more specifically in the case of the latter, characters specifically associated with Sony).

I can't believe that's real and that I hadn't heard about it up til now.

But yeah, Solid Snake was probably the most out-there third party character that Smash will ever get, and that was only because Sakurai and Kojima were friends beforehand, and because Kojima's kid (iirc?) said they wanted to play as Snake in Smash Bros.

It's not. It was a joke article that a bunch of Wii news sites thought was real.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not. It was a joke article that a bunch of Wii news sites thought was real.

Lmao yeah I only just saw the source was p4r, whoops

pretty hilarious that so many sites believed p4r though.

If this ends up to be the case, that Klonoa doesn't get into this game even though his popularity could soar through new heights, through DLC or otherwise...

So be it. Chalk another one up to Namco for repeatedly making the wrong marketing decisions with him, then.

Edited by Super Rainbow Dash

If this ends up to be the case, that Klonoa doesn't get into this game even though his popularity could soar through new heights, through DLC or otherwise...

So be it. Chalk another one up to Namco for repeatedly making the wrong marketing decisions with him, then.

Characters shouldn't be considered for Smash Bros because the game might make them popular. They should be considered if their own games already made them popular.

And Sakurai has gone on record as saying that Namco isn't getting special treatment for third party characters just because they're helping develop it. Pacman's got a good shot (I say this over the supposed "leaks") but again, he's an icon. 

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

I whole heartedly believe that there will not be a Namco character in this game simply because I don't think any of them have hit Nintendo big enough to be added to a game that celebrates Nintendo's history. That said I'm kinda expecting just Mega Man and Sonic since not only do they hit the marks for what I just said in my last sentence, but also counterbalance each other seeing as Mega Man is widely projectile based while Sonic is generally melee. I personally would love to see one more, just to fill a 4 player match of Nintendo vs 3 outsiders, but I've been having a hard time coming up with a 3rd party character that has had a huge impact on Nintendo that isn't already owned or widely associated with Sony or Microsoft. Closest I can think is Castlevania lawl.

• Thumbs Up 1

Klonoa is a character who has been in three big release games (that all bombed), one of which was a remake of one of the others.

Pac-Man was one of the original videogame "characters."

As good as the Klonoa games are, there isn't any contest between the two in terms of impact.

*sigh* Yes, I get what you guys are saying, and to be honest, I think Pac-Man's a lock-in as well.

It's just that I've been with the Klonoa franchise for 13 years now. While there have been positive moments throughout, since 2008 through 2011, I've been through nothing but hell. I will not go into specifics, but let's just say one of the big causes of it was due to his obscurity. And with obscurity comes a small fanbase. Half of whom couldn't give two shits about anyone but themselves and who also fear change with Klonoa, that anything even remotely "edgy-looking" would ruin him. That's what I witnessed and have been through.

So, yes, that's why I really want Klonoa to be popular (well, one reason, anyway). That's why I initially wanted him to be in this game once I heard Namco was developing it. But now, given Sakurai's statements and the rumors, it seems like a pipe dream. =/

(that all bombed)

Again, as I've said, that's only due to a lack of advertising and marketing. The games have done well critically as you've said, but well, reviews alone don't sell a game to the masses, do they?

I wouldn't mind if Ryu from Street Fighter got in, third-party wise. However, I think that all hinged on the appearance or lack thereof from Mega Man.

Ugh, I think Ryu has had enough Crossover love already.

I would freaking love Simon Belmont to appear as it would be yet one more Captain N crew member, through if he does get it, they should use the red haired version from Castlevania Chronicles since it's the only version of Simon that seems most used. (Simon has had many hair color changes, from brunette to blond to a weird blue-ish color)

Plus Simon has also been in a Smash like fighter before I think along with Snake, some game with Konami characters Vs. Hasbro Toys Characters, but it was only released in Japan.

EDIT: I remember now, it was called Dream Mix TV: World Fighters

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 1

As far as third party goes, my list would go

Expect:

* Pac-Man

* Sonic

Reasonable Chance:

* Geolyte (Meteos was another game that Sakurai designed for Bandai)

* Snake

* Ken/Ryu

Want:

* Simon

* Rayman

Would love but understand there is no way in hell:

* Bayonetta

* Lego character

* Maxwell (Scribblenauts)

As far as third party goes, my list would go

Expect:

* Pac-Man

* Sonic

Reasonable Chance:

* Geolyte (Meteos was another game that Sakurai designed for Bandai)

* Snake

* Ken/Ryu

Want:

* Simon

* Rayman

Would love but understand there is no way in hell:

* Bayonetta

* Lego character

* Maxwell (Scribblenauts)

Why would Ryu or Ken have a reasonable chance? Capcom already has Megaman in the game. Do they really need more Capcom characters in?