Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Dude, I don't think it's all that wise to get like that with just one person's opinion on the game. She's not even saying that it's bad...

She's not the first I've seen saying it's great but not particularly spectacular haha. I've spent too much money on all this to not try it.

JezMM is a dude 

Don't ruin the illusion

Uhh Discoid was responding to Soniko, not me though anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't ruin the illusion

Uhh Discoid was responding to Soniko, not me though anyway.

whoops (facepalm), also for some reason I can't get into the main race with you guys, it keeps dumping me to a separate server where no one else is 

Good thing I'm a big Mario kart fan. This is my summer game. Can't wait for my gamepad to get fix so I can face you losers :P

For now I'm just enjoying the tracks, getting better understanding how the controls feel and stuff.

whoops (facepalm), also for some reason I can't get into the main race with you guys, it keeps dumping me to a separate server where no one else is 

I think that's happening to me too.

The game made it look like everybody left when I joined. ;_;

I won!

...What does that mean in the grand scheme of the tournament though?

Also, where'd you go, Soniko? Connection error or something?

I think it kicks you out after your four, you have to join again after that and then those rounds don't count

Yeah, gonna see if I can, but might have to just make a new one, or make one that is in a perpetual state of "not counting" so we have somewhere to easily do SSMB matchups with people not on our friends lists.

Yeah, gonna see if I can, but might have to just make a new one, or make one that is in a perpetual state of "not counting" so we have somewhere to easily do SSMB matchups with people not on our friends lists.

Ok, just tell me when you have the new one up then 

Is the online functionality good?

Great! I have played with a number of our UK members, and there was no lag and worked great

Is the online functionality good?

There wasn't any noticeable lag when we were racing in a room of eight people, and this was connecting to people in the UK from the US.

Yeah I was also kicked out but after re-entering and exiting a few times (hue) I was back in the lobby with Zolo and Jez, just finished the final race with Zolo just now, online is fantastic.

No lag on my end either.

...Although I did somehow fall through the road in Bowser's Castle. The bit where he punches it. No idea why I fell. Didn't get hit by anything.

Man, I really got worse towards the end there, huh? Guess that's my indicator I need some sleep. It was fun though! Are these tournaments going to be weekly affairs? 'Cause I'd be down for that!

Ok, just beat a grand prix, so time to rejoin the tourney

EDIT: This post was a bit conversational originally.  The essential info can be found in the boxed out section below the first two paragraphs.

Okay, so I can't edit a Tourney while it's in progress it seems, so the launch tourney is stuck how it is now, random games only.

In light of this, I've made a new one that runs Daily - 11:00pm to 12:00am UK time (click here to see how UK time compares to your local time), in which each player has a maximum of 8 races to earn points.  Try and be there on time to ensure you get the same players for all 8 races, as the game will kick you out after your 8th and frequently won't reconnect you to the same "party" of people upon rejoining, putting you in a new, empty room.  We'll see how this works out, but chances are you'll need to be there at the time to play, sorry far-western US players, I realise that's somewhat middle of the day for you.

________________________________________________________________________________

SSMB Daily Tourney: 3089-8091-8109

200cc, all vehicles allowed, all items, no teams, no CPU.

Track selection contains all 32 tracks - You must purchase both DLC packs to participate.

Ranked Races run daily from 11pm - Midnight UK time.  It is recommended you join on time at 11pm for the best experience.

(A flag will appear next to the Tourney's name when ranked races are active, though note that it does not appear automatically - you must exit the tourney selection menu and re-enter for it to appear once ranked racing time is active).

For those unfamiliar with how the tourney works:

Unranked races can be played any time between Midnight and 11pm UK time to attempt to connect with other SSMB players for casual fun.  During the hour of ranked races, each player participates in up to 8 races to earn points.  Once 8 races have been played - including races you have quit or disconnected from - your points for the day are final and you can only participate in unranked races again with fellow players who have completed their 8 ranked races that day, until 11pm the next day, even if the current day's hour of ranked races has not yet finished.  Unlike when the game launched, I no longer have the time/passion to announce the weekly winners for each day.  Enjoy your victories like a summer breeze, satisfying yet fleeting, beautiful yet irrelevant in the long run.  And know that your losses are only temporary on the ranking boards, even if they are forever in your heart.

________________________________________________________________________________

The code will be required to enter.  I did make one with the same name as open to everyone and found two random people racing in it before even posting so making this one private. =P

On Sundays, the Daily Tourney plays with randomised rules for variety.  I'll aim to update the Tournament with the randomised rules a few hours beforehand so you can check em out early if you wish. Now that hype for the game has died down and daily playing is no longer a regular thing, the randomised rules Sundays has been discontinued - I just haven't the dedication to boot up the game twice every week to set/reset them.

Also:

SSMB Weekly Tourney: 6276-6467-0523

Same rules, but this one has no limit on races, and runs from 8pm Friday to 8am Monday (again, UK time) every week.  I have a feeling the result here will be whoever plays most will be the top ranking each week as long as they're vaguely competent, but we'll see how it goes.

I was gonna make a bunch of additional SSMB ones with various rules like no items and crazy amounts of times, but I wouldn't want to spread thin the ability to group up together without being friends, so best to leave those for custom, pre-arranged games unless anyone wants to try making them.

Remember, you can use these just to have random non-ranked games at any time outside of the allocated active times.  However, since they use the same rules, I'd discourage the idea of using the Weekly one for this purpose.  That way people aren't having to take a gamble on one or the other to get a random non-ranked game going - all non-ranked games can be in one place, on the Daily tourney.  Naturally, feel free to jump across to the Daily tourney on Saturday/Sunday during the hour that ranking is active.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, there's 150cc beaten. Mirror Mode is hellish, so sod that! :P

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. Mario Kart 8's easily the best game I have for the Wii U.

If I do have some complaints, it's that the retro track selection's not the best, and why the hell is Rainbow Road 64 so bloody short?

That aside, I'm having a blast with the game. Have had a few UNFAIR moments, but nothing major. Online is an absolute joy - incredibly smooth, and super fast matchmaking. Kicks the previous games in the nads.

• Thumbs Up 1

So should be be joining the weekly or daily right now?

I received this game today and played it a bunch with some mates.  We beat all the cups on 50cc Grand Prix, as well as a 150cc one just for kicks and my gosh is this game phenomenal so far.  It's very cool that you can play Grand Prix with up to 4 people offline.  It makes it a lot less tedious to unlock stuff as you can get up to 4 times the amount of coins per race.  The game looks, feels, sounds and plays amazing.  Drifting feels a little different than, say, MK Wii but in the long run a lot more satisfying, having various different parts (introduced in MK7 of course) along side the fact that every character can use every vehicle part allows for a lot of customisation and flexibility in how you want to race.  The tracks all look absolutely incredible, especially at 60 FPS where you're really able to appreciate all the details so much more.  The item balance is quite a bit different this time round, but overall I'd definitely say it's better.  Racers in last are no longer guaranteed the ultra powerful items, and the new items are all really great to use.  Blue Shells also feel a lot rarer this time round, and even then the Super Horn counters them (trust me when I say that getting a Super Horn in 1st and then destroying a Blue Shell headed towards you near the end of the race is probably one of the most satisfying feelings I've ever felt in a Mario Kart game).  In terms of which tracks I liked, I really enjoyed playing on all of them to be perfectly honest.  I can't quite decide which is my favourite at the moment.  I guess I'll have to play more.

I have yet to play this online, but my impressions of this so far are extremely positive.  Above all else this game just brings me an unbridled sense of joy.  When it comes down to it, the game is loads of fun.

Playing online made me realize how useless the item randomizer can be, if i'm at the back of the pack I don't want a fucking green shell or banana peel, come on game... And is it me or are the power ups literally few and far between? You literally have to hold onto an item because it's a while before you get another!

• Thumbs Up 3

I played with some friends, much cussing ensues. Yup, this is Mario Kart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing online made me realize how useless the item randomizer can be, if i'm at the back of the pack I don't want a fucking green shell or banana peel, come on game... And is it me or are the power ups literally few and far between? You literally have to hold onto an item because it's a while before you get another!

To make it worse, you can't even hold bananas or shells like before, they go automatically. The nerfs, y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To make it worse, you can't even hold bananas or shells like before, they go automatically. The nerfs, y.

Huh?  I'm able to hold bananas and shells behind me like in days of old as protection.  The only nerf is you can no longer pick up another item while doing so.

You can hold shells and bananas behind you by holding the item button, but you can't hold triple bananas behind you anymore, they spin instead. Honestly the thing I like least about the items in this game, I always loved banana trails :P