Awoo.

"Tales of" series (News,Discussion,Etc.) - News in OP

Solkia

Honestly, the original SNES release is pretty interesting. It doesn't have guard at all, and skill execution depends on your distance from the enemy. You can't use Majinken (Demon Fang) if you're too close.

The games didn't really get good till Eternia.

Phantasia and Destiny are cult classics, but they're not the best. They were good for their time, but that's about it. Star Ocean is on a similar scale; I had a hard time playing Star Ocean after Star Ocean: The Second Story. Destiny was really slow for me, too, although there were some good plot twists.

• 3 weeks later...

New character confirmed for Zestiria he´s handsome *shot*

Mikulio

Tales-of-Zestiria-Mikurio-730x978.jpg

"Slay is that kind of guy. Even as his childhood friend, it's agitating to watch him."

"Mikulio is Slay's/Thray's best friend who is in fact, one of the Divine. He's 165cm tall and his weapon is a long staff. He is Slay's childhood friend and also his rival, and is a smart, level headed guy. Since Mikulio is one of the Divine, he is actually invisible to normal people, and only Slay can see him"

Mikulio

"Slay is that kind of guy. Even as his childhood friend, it's agitating to watch him."

"Mikulio is Slay's/Thray's best friend who is in fact, one of the Divine. He's 165cm tall and his weapon is a long staff. He is Slay's childhood friend and also his rival, and is a smart, level headed guy. Since Mikulio is one of the Divine, he is actually invisible to normal people, and only Slay can see him"

Woah... that's... interesting... This whole "rival" thing, though, almost makes me think that this guy may end up being an antagonist. A lot of childhood friends/rivals/friendly rivals end up as antagonists for one reason or another. Since he can't be "seen" by anyone else in the party, that'd make it hard for him to be playable (unless he eventually does become visible to others, which probably will happen).

Mikulio

So basically he's this game's version of Leia.

7/10 you have to face him one-on-one later on in the game either because he will become a villain or he wants to test you or something like that.

So basically he's this game's version of Leia.

7/10 you have to face him one-on-one later on in the game either because he will become a villain or he wants to test you or something like that.

Already called it lol. I think he might even end up a straight up antagonist. Probably not the main antagonist, though.

Already called it lol. I think he might even end up a straight up antagonist. Probably not the main antagonist, though.

I think he might be the games hubert actually judging by his looks and description (also calling that he'll be voiced by the same guy).

I think he might be the games hubert actually judging by his looks and description (also calling that he'll be voiced by the same guy).

I don't know who Hubert is.

He was one of the characters in tales of graces, he's kind of the smart person in the group and probably has one of the coolest fighting styles in the whole series.

The snoody brother in Tales of Graces that's voiced by the same pirson who voices Toshiro Hitsugaya in the English dub of Bleach.

IGN score for ToS Chronicles is in. It got 8/10

I loved how they said "a great way to play a classic JRPG... with just an okay one thrown in" hahahahaha

Launch Trailer

I still have to wait till Thursday dry.png

So now that we've revived Don LaFontaine can we please have him do movie trailers again?

So ToS Chronicles is out today in the US.

I have a copy held in reserve, and supposedly I can trade in stuff to get discounts depending on the items.

Goodbye Duke Nukem Never and Final Fuckary XIII. Can't say I'm going to miss you.

So, impressions so far:

It's kind of sloppy, as I was expecting.

Cons

• Framerate is dropped. It's a 60FPS game running at 30FPS. Even in battles.
  • Because of this, some animations don't work right. Like when Colette falls outside of the Triet ruins from exhaustion, she doesn't have a falling animation, she just suddenly is on the ground.
  • No Gamecube in the Renegade base. What bullshit.
  • No redub. The one fucking thing it needed.

Pros

• It's definitely the PS2 version.
  • Dual Audio so you don't have to put up with the atrocious delivery of the English dub. (Seriously, it makes such a huge difference that I actually like Colette now)
  • Despite the 30FPS, the game runs stable, and it's still works exactly the same despite the obvious different control setup (make sure you read the tutorials, it took me forever to find out Unison attacks were mapped to R3)
  • Only one disc
  • You actually get Starry Heavens this time thank god
  • 720p and 16:9 are always nice

Miniscule pros, I know, but really? For $40 to play the 2 Symphonia games in HD, I'd say it's worth it. I'm having a blast with my old friend in a new form.

I think there'd be a huge problem showing your competitor's old console, so it's understandable why the Gamecube cameo would be absent. Also, it's sad that the original English opening for ToS1 is absent, as I really did like that instrumental. Oh well.

As for the added dubbed parts, mainly the new artes, were really poorly handled. The audio quality is all over the place, with some artes having really low sound. I could barely hear Presea's lines during her mystic arte, and Raine's mystic arte was just...awful. I think Lloyd, Zelos, and maybe Regal had the best new redubbed artes for the most part. Too bad there's no English voiced skits, but I understand it would take a lot of money and time to record the ginormous amount of skits in the game.

I'm not sure I want the retail version, as I don't really want to play ToS2. I might just buy ToS1 on PSN eventually.

• 1 month later...

yoooooooo

So, old news, but Tales of Hearts R is getting a western release.

I'm honestly astounded. After how piss poor Tales of Phantasia GBA was and how terribly Tales of the World Radiant Mythology sold, I figured they would never release one of the handheld titles over here ever again. Guess we'll be getting a steady stream of localizations from now on.

Soooo glad it was Hearts that''s getting localized. Now we can just tell the asshole behind the translation patch to shove his shitty mocking up his conceited ass.

• Thumbs Up 1

yoooooooo

So, old news, but Tales of Hearts R is getting a western release.

I'm honestly astounded. After how piss poor Tales of Phantasia GBA was and how terribly Tales of the World Radiant Mythology sold, I figured they would never release one of the handheld titles over here ever again. Guess we'll be getting a steady stream of localizations from now on.

Soooo glad it was Hearts that''s getting localized. Now we can just tell the asshole behind the translation patch to shove his shitty mocking up his conceited ass.

I guess that poll a while back for what vita title we wanted did help a bit then, cause if I remember correctly hearts R was on the list too and I think it even won. Really glad this is coming out here though, I wan't expecting any of the R titles to come out anytime soon.

After seeing some gameplay footages from Let's Plays and other videos, I think I'm interested in this series. This kinda looks like it could up my alley. Although, I should ask those who've played it and are fans of the series; which Tales of game should I go for first?

I got Xillia and Graces f (thanks Easter PSN sale). These are my first Tales of games. Long story short, I'm a HUGE fan of the series now. Some of the best realtime battle systems I've ever played in a JRPG and pretty solid storytelling and character building.