Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Oh sweet merciful God, I've not just accidentally posted a strong selling point for the Ouya have I?

Yes. Yes you did. Now I want to be an Ouya if SEGA doesn't bring this to consoles and PC, you monster.

Taxman and stealth you incredible bastards

My body is ready, I need some more sponk to play in class and this fits the bill perfectly

Wait so that would work?

I could download this onto a compatible device? Or even any old device that could access the store... plug it into the Ouya and bobs your uncle, I have Sonic 2 Remastered on a console?

Yes, HogFather, yes it would. I saw a video about a guy playing Sonic 1 Remastered on one of those so, it should be possible.

EDIT: Here's the Video "

"

That moment when you realise both yourself and everyone else seem collectively more excited for an upgraded re-release of Sonic 2 over Sonic Lost World.

Looking forward to this! Will be picking it up. 

he said that it no longer runs as smooth as it looked in his video so that might be the case for sonic 2 if anyone's getting it.

So will Sonic 2 be available for download, like at midnight? Or probably have to wait until sometime later in the day tomorrow for iTunes/Google Play store update...? Anyone know?

he said that it no longer runs as smooth as it looked in his video so that might be the case for sonic 2 if anyone's getting it.

Even if that's the case, it's worth a shot. And even if it is slow, SEGA already has put Sonic CD and Sonic 4 on the Ouya, so maybe they'll put a optimized version of these 2 games on the Ouya as well.

I can dream.

One thing got me thinking, how do you guys think we will be able to get to Hidden Palace Zone? Hopefully it's by use of the Chaos emeralds but, it could just be a Stage Select Bonus.

But we all know Taxman is better than that.

So will Sonic 2 be available for download, like at midnight? Or probably have to wait until sometime later in the day tomorrow for iTunes/Google Play store update...? Anyone know?

Sonic 1 was available to download on Google Play from about 11pm (UK time) back in May. So I'm guessing a similar time for Sonic 2 tomorrow.

Sonic 1 was available to download on Google Play from about 11pm (UK time) back in May. So I'm guessing a similar time for Sonic 2 tomorrow.

Wait a second.

We never got an official release announcement for Sonic 1. It just came out. And it was... 15th May 2012 at about 10PM UK time. 15th May was a Wednesday... oh boy.

The original intention of Hidden Palace for Sonic 2, was that Sonic would be warped to Hidden Palace after obtaining all seven emeralds. Sonic would then obtain his 'Super Sonic' form in HP. 

In the screenshot below look at the top left! The starpost is active. So you can access a special stage from HP?

sonic2-hiddenpalacezone-1.jpg  

So does that mean Hidden Palace acts as a normal level in StealthTax version (maybe placed between Mystic Cave and Oil Ocean), or is there a secret eighth special special stage that you can only access in Hidden Palace????!!!

If Sega's allowing Taxman to recreate/restore the original Hidden Palace Zone....could that mean we'll see the other Lost Zones of Sonic 2 remade in some form too? And by extension Final Fever/Desert Dazzle/added Knuckles DLC for Sonic CD is more plausible too?

350x700px-LL-05107de0_edge.gif

And then I remember it's not coming to consoles... and I cry inside.

*internal sobbing intensifies*

• Thumbs Up 1

They better do a Stealth/Tax collection on console and PC. I'm hoping they are just releasing them first on phones and ironing out the bugs and them planning on releasing them on other platforms together as some kind of digital package.

What I wouldn't give for a Sonic3K remaster now to finish the set. Mando's idea is good too, let them tackle things like Chaotix and Sonic Arcade. Sega is pretty useless at ports and rebuilds, but Stealth/Tax have more that proven they could get almost anything working on current platforms.

Perhaps a digital set could have added bonus content to make people that have the phone versions double dip, like the Sonic CD Lost Zones and boss, or playable Knuckles in CD

Edit : Tax just posted a link to spoilers http://toucharcade.com/2013/12/11/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-remastered-hitting-this-week-features-long-lost-hidden-palace-zone/

Look at your own risk, awesomeness is present!

After seeing Desert Dazzle and trying this...

I'd really much rather see them attempt an original 2D Sonic game.

I think that's what I'd rather have too. But, in an ideal world? Both. S3K deserves to brought up to these same standards.

• Thumbs Up 9

I always wondered why the boss theme sounded like someone was in a brass band.

Edit:

Eggman is a musician, this is now canon

I would like see them enhance Knuckles Chaotix. Allow them to rip it apart and put together a game which plays like a normal Sonic game. I.e. not have five acts per zone where level design is re-used over and over again. Create some brand new zones and add water to Marina Madness. Obviously include Sonic & Tails. 

Knuckles Chaotix is a fun game but it's far from perfect and needs a bit of love.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would love more than anything for them to be given the go ahead on an original game, a "true" Sonic 4 so to speak.

But why stop the remastered classics at 2? Sonic 3K is a masterpiece already but if anyone can make it better its them. As has been said, in an ideal world why not both?

I always wondered why the boss theme sounded like someone was in a brass band.

Edit:

Eggman is a musician, this is now canon

I think the hype train has exploded. This is just too good!

This is music to my ears.

Eggman to Sonic: "I will sing you to your sleep"

That all depends if the muck around Sonic 3 can be cleaned up.

That said!

I love HPZ's boss. It makes me hear this in my head:

• Thumbs Up 3

So I found this software called BlueStacks which allows you to use Android apps on a PC. I'm actually able to play TaxStealth's Sonic 1 at 60fps on my PC! You will have to make an account to download apps though, and yes, you will have to purchase apps via the Google Play Store. Also, there is no controller support for the software at the moment as far as I can tell, sadly; only the keyboard and mouse. The only way to use a controller on it is if you get software that will allow you to set gamepad buttons as keyboard keys, I think. Haven't tried that yet, though. So yeah, for those who don't have an Android device, and don't want to have to invest in one or an Ouya, but has a decently powerful enough PC, you'll be able to purchase and play TaxStealth's remasters of Sonic 1 and 2!

Download BlueStacks here:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Make sure to click "DOWNLOAD" to the left for Windows, and the right for Mac OSX. Ignore the "CHECK OUT GAME POP" button.

Just install it, make an account with Google, then go to the Google Play store, set up your credit/debit info, etc., then download/purchase it and play.

What kind of specs would we be looking at to get that app to work without any problems? Or is it one of those 'try it and see' kind of things?