Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Knuckles isn't exclusive. Lock on technology mang.

I know, but you needed two games to get that to work.

This is what I think we can realistically expect to see in Sonic 2, and what I would like to see and is very unlikely to be included:

What we can expect to see:

• Playable Knuckles. 
  • Tails with his flying ability and the 'Tails assist' move which allows him to carry Sonic.
  • Option to restart the special stages.
  • Debug mode including some beta textures. Super forms again for Tails and Knuckles.
  • A feature which allows you to revisit the previous zones on your completed save file (like in Sonic 3).
  • Sonic 2 styled level select.
  • Tighter Sonic 3 styled physics (the Sonic 2 physics have always been a tad slippery).
  • Time Attack mode and leaderboards (hopefully for Android as well this time).

Things which I would like to see but are unlikely to be included:

• Allow you to de-morph from Super Sonic back to normal Sonic.
  • Playable Amy Rose.
  • Fix the pit in Mystic Cave Act 2 (remove the spikes at the bottom) so that it becomes an insta-kill.
  • Maybe add a few extra routes like we got in Sonic 1. 
  • Option to play as Knuckles and Tails (AI) from the normal character selection menu.
  • Allow you play using Sonic's sprite from Sonic 1.
Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is what I think we can realistically expect to see in Sonic 2, and what I would like to see and is very unlikely to happen:

What we can expect to see:

• Playable Knuckles. 
  • Tails with his flying ability and the 'Tails assist' move which allows him to carry Sonic.
  • Option to restart the special stages.
  • Debug mode including some beta textures. Super forms again for Tails and Knuckles.
  • A feature which allows you to revisit the previous zones on your completed save file (like in Sonic 3).
  • Sonic 2 styled level select.
  • Tighter Sonic 3 styled physics (the Sonic 2 physics have always been a tad slippery).
  • Time Attack ,ode  and leaderboards (hopefully for Android as well users this time).

• Allow you to de-morph from Super Sonic form back to normal Sonic.
  • Playable Amy Rose.
  • Fix the pit in Mystic Cave Act 2 (remove the spikes at the bottom) so that it becomes an insta-kill.
  • Extra levels.
  • Option to play as Knuckles and Tails (AI) from the normal character selection menu.
  • Allow you play using Sonic's sprite from Sonic 1.

Add this: if they wwant to tease KC

• playable Mighty and Vector

I know, but you needed two games to get that to work.

Not if you had a collection, like Sonic Classic Collection DS.

Not if you had a collection, like Sonic Classic Collection DS.

It was listed as a separate game. "Knuckles in Sonic 2" with the description of Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked with Sonic 2.

I think -Bender- hit the nail on the head with the bonus features. I think there's a speed cap in Sonic 2 too.

It was listed as a separate game. "Knuckles in Sonic 2" with the description of Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked with Sonic 2.

I think -Bender- hit the nail on the head with the bonus features. I think there's a speed cap in Sonic 2 too.

It was a seperate game, but it was included on the same cartridge. T'is effectively what this is.

Taxman commented on the 2P mode:

We're not omitting any features from the original game. But beyond that I can't give you details.

So...its in?

This is what I think we can realistically expect to see in Sonic 2, and what I would like to see and is very unlikely to be included:

• Playable Amy Rose.

I'd love to see a playable Amy; but yeah... probs not gonna happen. sad.png

And some extra routes like with Sonic 1 would be nice. biggrin.png

The pit in Mystic Cave is just hilarious; it's almost a legend. That should stay! XD

Taxman commented on the 2P mode:

So...its in?

Online 2P? biggrin.png

Edited by MamBOO!Cat

Screw Amy, I want a playable Metal Sonic!smile.png

I'd rather Amy with her Advance 1 play style (plus a peel-out so she still can build up speed easily). It's essentially a hard mode. But that's never gonna happen, since they'll never put something in that wasn't part of the classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather Amy with her Advance 1 play style (plus a peel-out so she still can build up speed easily). It's essentially a hard mode. But that's never gonna happen, since they'll never put something in that wasn't part of the classics.

There's always hope.......

Amy would need to be able to role into a ball (so she could spin-attack) to allow her to get through some of the trickier sections in Sonic 2. Not sure if a spindash would be needed. I don't recall any section in Sonic 2 where a spindash was mandatory to allow you to complete an act.

Being able to play as Silver (Mecha) Sonic would also be cool.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

They could be sneaky and use an upward dash (I think she had one in one of the Advance games anyway). There are some elements that would be tricky to improvise without spin dash (having toyed with the dissassembly, I know that from experience) but it's possible to do.

I suppose a Metal Sonic option would make a bit more sense, especially if it came with downloading Sonic 4. :P

I admit I'm hopeful of the idea of having more 2P stages, especially it's something not even fan hacks have done.

Maybe add a few extra routes like we got in Sonic 1.

^THIS.  That was, in my opinion, the coolest thing about the 2013 remaster.  It's not too intrusive and it's basically carving out an empty part of the level for something new and exciting.  It's a shame there were only 3 new paths though. 

Looking at the level maps from Zone 0 there are quite a bit of Acts from Sonic 2 that could easily hold some exclusive paths for Tails and/or Knuckles. The top parts of both Chemical Plant acts could be fleshed out, maybe some new swimming paths for Tails in Aquatic Ruins, Hill Top Zone Act 1 could have a new path towards the end, and both Mystic Cave acts could carve out a new paths in their rather thick ceilings.

Of course that all depends on how much free reign Taxman and Stealth have been given over this remastering.

Edited by andrewtuell1991

About damn time I can finally play a good port of Sonic 2 *looks at Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection*.

I seriously can't wait to hear the remastered soundtrack and get to enjoy this game. My only hopes are that we get Hidden Palace and playable Amy Rose. I know it probably won't happen, but a Fanboy can dream, right?

Man, right now is an awesome time for me to be a Sonic fan. This comes out soon, and once I get a 3DS this month, I'll be buying Lost World and Rush.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as they replace the spike pit in Mystic Cave with a bottomless pit and fix some of the more gamebreaking bugs I'll probably buy this

I also remember Wing Fortress being really buggy but there's not really much they could do about that without completely redesigning the level.

I was just looking at some of the Sonic 1 mobile articles earlier this year and I came across two sites which you might find of interest.

The first one is for The Taxman.

The other is Headcannon aka Stealth. There is a page about Stealth's Knuckles in Sonic 1 hack.

Both sites are a good read.

Edited by -Bender-

So I've bought the original iOS version of Sonic 2 for my iPad, does this mean that I'll get TaxStealth edition for free?

I believe so, yes. How does that version play, by the way?

Edited by Indigo Rush

The original port is ok, not brilliant, it's definitely playable by phone standards, but if you are used to the StealthTax Sonic 1 controls, where to can move the buttons and change the size, it can be a bit difficult to adapt as the buttons are quite small and can be quite hard to use at times

I believe so, yes. How does that version play, by the way?

Like shit. The sound sounds awful, the framerate drops all the time, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

I hope there's another hilarious game breaking bug like that one with Knuckles from the first remaster. I'm not being sarcastic either. When I ran into it the first time it gave me such a laugh. Especially since I had been in a convo that day about how Sega was treating Knuckles recently. Then he up and dies during the post game credits. Brilliant!! Still gives me a laugh. Thanks Stealth/Tax!!

The original port (which I believe was made by Backbone) is total ass.

Would it be unrealistic expectations to expect them to add cut zones like Wood Zone and Dust Hill Zone at least as optional extras?

The original port (which I believe was made by Backbone) is total ass.

Would it be unrealistic expectations to expect them to add cut zones like Wood Zone and Dust Hill Zone at least as optional extras?

Dust Hill? no. that never made it out of concept.

But stages that are already in their, theres a good chance for them to be extras.