Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

That D-Pad would have been cool. I guess Sega or perhaps himself deemed it too intrusive. People already complain enough about having your fingers covering the screen on sidescrollers like Sonic and Mega Man etc on phones, guess they didn't want more flack.

This is weird (or really lazy journalism!):

420_4e40c876a6103e8f50729ab957176208.jpg

The Sun mistakenly printed this screenshot for their review of the Stealth / Taxman version & doing a google image search brings up this Chinese website (who also mistook it for the Stealth / Taxman version!)

I did some more googling  & found out it was the Green Hill Zone 2.5D from SAGE 2012.

Weird!

EDIT: This is cool:Editor.PNG

Edited by hypermikey

Yesterday on the Retro forums Taxman confirmed that an update to Sonic 1 iOS & Android is coming soon. No exact date given.

"we're going through the process of delivering updates to both iOS/Android. I can't give you any sort of ETA other than 'Coming Soon' since it's got to go through the right channels first."

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31387&st=135

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

TSSZ have done an interview with Stealth. I recommend you click on the links and read the articles. It's a great read. Stealth is a really talented dude.

TSSZ Interviews - Stealth (Part 1):

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/06/01/tssz-interviews-stealth-part-1/

"To further answer your question, though, I have had a hand in a commercial release once before. It was the 2011 Sonic CD re-release, actually. Before the project was actually taken on by SEGA, Taxman had come to me for some reverse-engineering work to get some information on how a couple of things worked. You’ll notice I was given a “Special Thanks” credit for that."

So Stealth did sort of help Taxman with Sonic CD. I never knew that. Think I will replay Sonic CD (as Tails) to see if I can spot his name in the credits.

TSSZ Interviews - Stealth (Part 2): This is all about his involvement with Sonic 1. It's really interesting.

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/06/01/tssz-interviews-stealth-part-2/

"Tails carrying Sonic around was a bit trickier to handle in this version than I thought it would be, too. Some things have to be approached in different ways depending on the system you’re using to implement them. For example, both Retro Engine and E02 have their differences from the way certain core engine details were handled in the original Sonic games, and from each other, at that."

"Aside from that, I probably had the most fun with the additional content. Introducing Tails and Knuckles into the game was a fun concept to begin with, and we had the opportunity to somewhat expand the game with them in an official capacity. What I did with my own Knuckles in Sonic 1 back in 2005 was basically just to introduce Knuckles into the game as it was, but this time, any little bonuses areas or items would be run through SEGA and Sonic Team for their approval, so it’s not really some random person just screwing around with the level."

Edited by -Clara Oswald-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tsk. Nothing about consoles yet? The only iOS device I have is a 4 year old Android phone, really want to play this game.

Yesterday on the Retro forums Taxman confirmed that an update to Sonic 1 iOS & Android is coming soon. No exact date given.

"we're going through the process of delivering updates to both iOS/Android. I can't give you any sort of ETA other than 'Coming Soon' since it's got to go through the right channels first."

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31387&st=135

Aw man, I hope this doesn't remove the Tails following glitch :( I didn't get to try it out yet.

Tsk. Nothing about consoles yet? The only iOS device I have is a 4 year old Android phone, really want to play this game.

iOS is Apple's mobile operating system, found only on iPhones and other Apple hardware. Android is Google's operating system, found of many non-Apple smart phones.

The only mobile device you have is a 4 year old Android phone.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic 1 and Sonic CD iOS apps have received updates.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&st=945

Also, to quote the TSSZ article: "SCD now has proper widescreen support for those with an iPhone 5 as well as other bug fixes. The Sonic 1 update also fixed miscellaneous glitches, as well as problems with the game’s ending. For SCD, it is the first update to the app since around the time of the original release in 2011."

The Android version of Sonic 1 should receive an update very soon.

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-

WILL NOT DOWNLOAD. MUST HAVE TAILS GLITCH.

If you mean the one where Knuckles is used as the lead, they didn't outright fix it. Taxman instead provided a roundabout method to it;

You can, but in a different way. Select Sonic + Tails on no save, then let attract mode play. Then go to level select and set player to Knuckles. I figured people still wanted that in but it's been fixed in the save game slots.

• Thumbs Up 1

Taxman is a fuckin' god wow. *-*

EDIT: What's attract mode?

Edited by SuperLink

Taxman is a fuckin' god wow. *-*

EDIT: What's attract mode?

Demo mode- i.e. let the title screen play out and then show gameplay footage, ergo 'attracting' people to play. 

EDIT: I just tried it. Knuckles and Tails works properly now. Knuckles has the correct hanging animation and everything. <3

EDIT2: Tails and Tails doesn't work at all now, but lol there's nothing to miss but the novelty there.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hope they iron out all of the bugs soon, because the sooner we can get it to other platforms, the better. I'd like to play it on Steam. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno if this was in other Sonic games, but when flying as Tails, if he reaches the ceiling he starts gaining tremendous horizontal momentum, it's crazy.

I like the animation Taxman has used (with the update) for Knuckles when being carried by Tails. I think it's the same animation from Sonic 3&K when Knuckles is moving across the vertical ladders (whilst hanging) in Hydrocity zone?

sk-fbz-point2img1.png

Something that Taxman has fixed, is that if you restart a special stage it now rotates immediately instead of being stuck in one position.

Something that Taxman has fixed, is that if you restart a special stage it now rotates immediately instead of being stuck in one position.

I think you'd be safer using the word "they" when it hasn't already been specified who did what tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 7

I think you'd be safer using the word "they" when it hasn't already been specified who did what tongue.png

My most humble and sincere apologies good Sir Stealth! I guess I should just say it was fixed by....

stealthtax.png

Oh err.... by the way you've done an absolutely fantastic job with Sonic 1.

On behalf of the SSMB Community, welcome! And I agree. I personally wish you guys would just come out and tell us who did what :D

I think there has been another update on Sonic 1 Android. The original version was 1.0.0. The updated version from last week was 1.0.3. Just played the game this morning and it now says version 1.0.4. No word on what bugs (if any) version 1.0.4 fixes. 

Fingers crossed we get confirmation soon that this version of Sonic 1 will be ported to consoles. It would be such a waste not being able to play this on Steam, PSN, Xbla, or Wii U.

I hope they can start work on Sonic 2 soon. I just want to be able to fly as Tails, or play as Super Tails (with his flicky army of death) and I will be so happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of sonic 2, what would you guys want to see on a sonic 2 remastered? I personally want too see more added path ways, what they did for Marble zone act 3 was fricken AWESOME!!!  Also adding back in hidden place zone back in would be nice addition. XD 

Speaking of sonic 2, what would you guys want to see on a sonic 2 remastered? I personally want too see more added path ways, what they did for Marble zone act 3 was fricken AWESOME!!!  Also adding back in hidden place zone back in would be nice addition. XD 

Yes that would be good, but extra routes are not really needed as the zones in Sonic 2 already have lots of multiple paths.

What Sonic 2 needs is: 

• Allow you to fly as Tails.
  • Add the 'Tails assist' move so Tails can carry Sonic.
  • Allow you to play as Knuckles and Knuckles with Tails AI (come on, the glitch in Sonic 1 which allowed this was awesome).
  • Alternative Sonic 3 physics, as the Sonic 2 physics are slightly slippery.

I bet it'll be like S1, where the S3 physics are default and you can edit them from within the level select menu. Everything else is very likely too, considering what we just got in S1. Knuckles & Tails mode will probably make a comeback as a hidden bonus.