Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

It's not just you the in-game models 06 have are terrible for sure. They can hardly express any emotion and they just look unnatural to me especially them big ass eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont even think Sonic and Elises relations were suppose to be romance on either side. I dont think Elise is in love with Sonic. She had a connection like a close friend. She kiss him to carry out her wish, not because she was in love.

Interesting you should mention that, because Elise's voice actor did an interview in which she specifically said there would be no romantic connection between them, but that that just shared a mutual bond.  I'm sure it's on TSS somewhere.  Anyway, the game completely contradicts that, as Indigo pointed out.

any charm that was intended during this scene is negated by Amy's unchanging, cold, dead face

Not to mention, sparkle sparkle sparkle.

Ok is it just me or is Elises' in game model horrible. I almost wanted barf at that thumbnail. Excuse the hyperbole, about the barf not the model, that thing is horrendous. But the CG one looks just fine but the in-game... what did they do to you.

Yeah, the in-game models were absolutely atrocious for all the characters, as well as the actual locations.  Very amateur at best.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sorry to bring the hate back. But one thing that really erked me, was in specific, Sonic's lack of- say personality. In the game, he doesn't have ANY jokes. Maybe that's why we have the overpolution of jokes now, but sheesh. Just argh im get robotnik. Instead of hey egg head that dog's ready to go to.. the pound! Nothing just rrgh eggman awww elise don't worry about being a strong princess just smile. The models didn't help it's case at all. It just bothered me to see such a LACK of Sonic. I actually woulda appreciated some GraffPontac-ness there, man.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but eugh.

• Thumbs Up 2

Y'know what really irks me concerning the in-game models.

The start and ending cutscenes are magnificent and they really FEEL like they make Sonic and company interacting with mankind work.

And then come the in-game models which look utterly photo-shopped in to ruin the experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh my god you just made me think of Sonic having a dick made out of blue knives

WHYYYYY

That is highly inappropriate and is hardly contributive to the topic at hand.  Please don't make such posts again.

• Thumbs Up 1

And then come the in-game models which look utterly photo-shopped in to ruin the experience.

The worst part is the mouths.

Knuckles face in that one scene where they meet up with Shadow and Rouge, I just can't stand it!

char_16281.jpg<<Look at that mouth! Ugh!

So a while ago I was looking for stuff regarding the development of this game, and I found an article on GiantBomb that has some interesting stuff.

Sonic 06 was planned for a Wii release in addition to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. At the time, Sega thought the Wii (back when it was known as Revolution, by the way) would be on par with the 360 and PS3 in terms of horsepower (kinda laughable now given Ninty's track record with consoles, but IIRC the GameCube's power capabilities was about on par with it's competitors-behind the Xbox, but ahead of the PS2-despite being stuck with that dumb mini-DVD optical disc).

When Sega finally got word on the Wii's capabilities and compared them with the 360 and PS3, naturally they decided against bringing the game to the Wii. But more importantly, when they learned about the Wii Remote, they decided to make a original Sonic game for the Wii as a replacement for Sonic 06 that made use of the Wii Remote capabilities...as one would expect, this game would eventually become Sonic and the Secret Rings, then tentatively known as Sonic Wild Fire and Sonic and the Secret of the Rings during development.

So with the task of putting Sonic 06 on the Wii platform no longer necessary, one would naturally expect this would lighten the burden on Sonic 06's development team, right? Especially since, according to Yojiro Ogawa, developing Sonic 06 for both the 360 and the PS3 at the same time in order to make the deadline was already a giant challenge for them already? As one would expect, things went from bad to worse...

Some say it was Sega's decision, GiantBomb says it was Ogawa (who is credited as the original director for Sonic 06, though Shun Nakaruma is listed as the "official" director), but Sonic Team (the article says "Sonic 2006 development team", but let's be honest, all of Sonic Team that didn't leave to join Naka at Prope was arguably working on this game) in two groups. The newly formed staff was taken away to work on Secret Rings, while the remaining staff continued work on Sonic 06.

I wouldn't question the legitimacy of this source when you take into account the release date for the games. Sonic 06 was first released in North America November 16th, 2006 for the 360, with the (somehow worse, despite receiving extra development time) PS3 version first seeing release in Japan a month later. When was Sonic and the Secret Rings first released? February 20th, 2007 in North America. That's just barely a two month release gap between the two titles-the two games were most positively developed simultaneously.

• Thumbs Up 3

That would make sense, considering before that all games were on either one platform (SADX, SA2:B) or on all of them (heroes) and since 06 we have had Sonic Team A (06, Unleashed, Gens) and Sonic Team B (Secret Rings, Black Knight, Colours, Lost World)

Theres also this wonderful scene, is this attraction? 

uhelise.png

Yeah, the in-game models were absolutely atrocious for all the characters, as well as the actual locations.  Very amateur at best.

chairsonic.png

Try standing in that position Sonic is currently in.

• Thumbs Up 3

chairsonic.png

Try standing in that position Sonic is currently in.

I can't look at this screenshot and not think that there's a huge blue stinger coming out of his ass.

Good God was Sonic's 06 model absolutely atrocious. There's just something about the eyes that looks soulless and overall he looks like his limbs, body and quills have been latched onto a taffy hook and stretched.

• Thumbs Up 7

I know it's been talked about in a similar way regarding that peculiar pose, but the only way I see anyone doing it is if they were taking a dump on the toilet.

Sonic wasn't actually killed by Mephiles.

Geppetto just had to drop the strings since someone was at the door.

• Thumbs Up 9

The only thinh I dont like about the models where that the characters heads look too big

Apparently, before negative reception came crashing down on the game, 06 was set to reboot the Sonic universe.Of course the stupidity of the plothole is only strengthened since Generations acknowledges 06 as canon.

You know what. I take back my wording about 06 being canon thanks to Gens. Because the last cutscene of 06 clearly shows that Sonic remembers Elise and thus recalls the events.

06 may have wiped itself out, but it also kept itself canon too.

I think Sonic 06 has some of the ugliest character models in a Sonic game yet. And to think that everyone loved these back then! How times have changed...

I think what bothers me most about Sonic and friend's models besides the soulless eyes (a spin off game released earlier in 2006 actually had more expressive animation than this one!) is their mouths. They look so awkward, especially when they speak and it's totally out of sync. I know this was a common problem in SA1 and SA2, not so much Heroes and ShtH for some reason but Christ it looks bad! Their teeth look really freaky too! I mean..what's up with Sonic's expression when he dies? It looks pathetic.

Don't even get me started on the human characters! Some Final Fantasy bullshit that's what it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what. I take back my wording about 06 being canon thanks to Gens. Because the last cutscene of 06 clearly shows that Sonic remembers Elise and thus recalls the events.

06 may have wiped itself out, but it also kept itself canon too.

After rewatching the cutscene again... I'm sorry I just don't see it.  Anywhere.

I think Sonic 06 has some of the ugliest character models in a Sonic game yet. 

Darn tootin'

Though I have to admit:

SonicNext_Eggman_Mustache_2006-04-04.jpg

While I'm not a fan of his body proportions, that outfit is pretty snazzy. 

After rewatching the cutscene again... I'm sorry I just don't see it.  Anywhere.

I think they're referring to the fact that Sonic still goes to Soleanna (EDIT: Come to think of it, there never really was a reason for Sonic's being there in the first place.) and gives Elise a look, as if he knows her. There is nothing that solidifies this claim; it's pretty much speculation.

Edited by JAiRO

Darn tootin'

Though I have to admit:

While I'm not a fan of his body proportions, that outfit is pretty snazzy. 

"Hmmm, big golden nipples, that's what my red jacket needs!"-Clement

Actually, even Dr Eggman looks weird in the game. I know they were trying to make him look more "reelistik" and all but he just comes off as an uncanny valley man. Not to mention we can see his EYES!

Sorry, it's just that the look Sonic gives, not to mention use of the implied memory trope, makes it undeniable in my mind that at least Sonic (the poor unfortunate soul) remembers the events of 06 unfortunately.

Isn't that just his normal outfit slightly changed with golden nips in place of the buckle things? Or are you saying that's what you like about? 

"Hmmm, big golden nipples, that's what my red jacket needs!"-Clement

I...I read that the moment he said it in the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic 06 has some of the ugliest character models in a Sonic game yet. And to think that everyone loved these back then! How times have changed...

Did they? I thought they were always considered bad (outside of the CG, that's the only time anyone had any expressiveness).

Anyway, I was also watching Clement's review and he brings up a good point about how they were trying to do way too much. You have nine characters (amigos included), nine stages per characters (well, 8 for Shadow and Silver but all three stories have an amigo level too) and an End of the World level, 5 bosses per character (some are repeated though, and then there's the final boss), hard mode levels, giant hub worlds, town missions, multiple vehicles for Shadow, mach speed sections, snowboarding, Elise levels, multiplayer, medals, upgrades from the shop i.e. the gems... I have never seen a game where they bit off so much. No wonder they hadn't a hope in hell of finishing and polishing it, they were trying to do so much shit. This is a game where it's size for the sake of size, and they didn't finish any of it. Not to mention all the stuff that didn't make it in the game. Who thought all this was a good idea?!

I know Sonic Adventure wasn't polished either thanks to it's age and had a lot in it (hubs, 11 levels, many bosses, 6 characters, medals in the hubs, upgrades), but it was nowhere near as much or as bad as in 06.

• Thumbs Up 3