Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Did they? I thought they were always considered bad (outside of the CG, that's the only time anyone had any expressiveness).

Anyway, I was also watching Clement's review and he brings up a good point about how they were trying to do way too much. You have nine characters (amigos included), nine stages per characters (well, 8 for Shadow and Silver but all three stories have an amigo level too) and an End of the World level, 5 bosses per character (some are repeated though, and then there's the final boss), hard mode levels, giant hub worlds, town missions, multiple vehicles for Shadow, mach speed sections, snowboarding, Elise levels, multiplayer, medals, upgrades from the shop i.e. the gems... I have never seen a game where they bit off so much. No wonder they hadn't a hope in hell of finishing and polishing it, they were trying to do so much shit. This is a game where it's size for the sake of size, and they didn't finish any of it. Not to mention all the stuff that didn't make it in the game. Who thought all this was a good idea?!

I know Sonic Adventure wasn't polished either thanks to it's age and had a lot in it (hubs, 11 levels, many bosses, 6 characters, medals in the hubs, upgrades), but it was nowhere near as much or as bad as in 06.

To add to all that: 

Yuki Naka leaving Sega/Sonic Team and taking many talented developers with him and a good part of Sonic Team working on another title (the game that would become Sonic and the Secret Rings).  With the tight marketing schedule, working on this game must have a been nightmarish.  They described it as "very challenging" but if I was on that staff, I'd call it impossible.  It's just too much for such a limited staff and knowing all this now makes me completely unsurprised at the results.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06 and SA1 are the only 3D games where Sonic's jump doesn't have that blue aura stuff around it...

Actually, yeah, what the hell is that stuff? He got it in Adventure 2 and everyone has had it since. What is it? It's got nothing to do with any of Sonic's power, because he's proven in games where he doesn't have it that he has plenty of power. What is the blue aura stuff?

Sonic 06 and SA1 are the only 3D games where Sonic's jump doesn't have that blue aura stuff around it...

Actually, yeah, what the hell is that stuff? He got it in Adventure 2 and everyone has had it since. What is it? It's got nothing to do with any of Sonic's power, because he's proven in games where he doesn't have it that he has plenty of power. What is the blue aura stuff?

Its not in his Jump in Sa1 because they made his Jump a solid ball instead of him Spinning with a blue aura...its just showing that he has a blur around him when he's spinning very fast, and that any body looking at him when was spinning  would only see the blue aura like blur and not actually see Sonic.

Its not in 2006, because they weren't actually bothered to put it in the game.

Its not in his Jump in Sa1 because they made his Jump a solid ball instead of him Spinning with a blue aura...its just showing that he has a blur around him when he's spinning very fast, and that any body looking at him when was spinning would only see the blue aura like blur and not actually see Sonic.

Its not in 2006, because they weren't actually bothered to put it in the game.

It's actually a visual indication for when abilities like the bounce, the air dash/homing attack, the blue tornado, etc. are available.

Keep in mind that when it was introduced in SA2, during his (and Shadow's/Rouge's/Knuckles') jumping animation, he actually uncurls on the way down. So it was basically an indicator of "hey, you can still hit enemies and attack them without taking damage". They also uncurl in Heroes, ShTH, and technically '06.....which is the only one of these that didn't have the aura, and you couldn't hit enemies at ANY point while jumping.

I would laugh if they had planned it to be like Colours, where Sonic uncurls eventually during a jump and you can't attack enemies after that point, but they messed it up.

Fun side note fact thing: it took me years to realize in Colours that he stays curled if you hold the jump button. Or, well, I seem to remember that being a thing...

But yeah, it's just a little visual effect that was probably added to let you know you could still hit enemies even if you'd think you can't since the character stopped spinning in the jump, and it stuck around.

I can't look at this screenshot and not think that there's a huge blue stinger coming out of his ass.

Good God was Sonic's 06 model absolutely atrocious. There's just something about the eyes that looks soulless and overall he looks like his limbs, body and quills have been latched onto a taffy hook and stretched.

He looks more like a guy in a really shitty Sonic costume than Sonic himself.
  • Thumbs Up 1

You do realize that said people have pretty much stated that they're sick of dealing with you. And I can't blame them. I too grow tired of having to explain even the most obvious details to someone who refuses to swallow his pride and just let the people who dislike this game be.

You honestly can't be serious.

Do you know how many random people who haven't even conversed with me showed up when I was clearly in fault? 

And to top that off, the same people who were "Done" still come right back to shove up my face that I was wrong about certain things. (Like a couple of pages ago)

You were clearly wrong about what you said so why are you denying. I just gave physical evidence disproving it, why can't you just admit when your wrong? 

Out of all the things I've disproven thus far, I don't recall one person ever admitting that they were incorrect or at least made a mistake, how can I make mature decisions if the real adults here can't even act like that?

And about all of that Pride junk, Your mistaken, I have FAR less pride than several people who have conversed with me over this span of 30 pages. You sir are one of them. I just SHOWED A CLIP COMPLETELY CONTRADICTING YOUR STATEMENT, and I'm still wrong. How exactly does that makes sense? Oh, it's because "I'm a pain to deal with". Makes perfect sense.

I know I'm not right about everything, but I'm certainly not wrong about everything either.

Sorry if that came off as Rude, or Flaming, but that happens way too often, and then whenever I say something like the above it's because "I'm a pain to deal with" huh.png

Honestly, what does that have to do with anything?

-------------------------------------------

Anyway...

About what E Coli said about the Dev Teams and Such.
Yea, I find it admiriable that they at least kept it looking alright. It's very well possible to run the game with the glitches that make you glitch through whatever and Die.

Since Yuji left after the E3 presentation that would mean that the weaker dev team made Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, BLAZE, and Amy. Probably the Elise+Sonic stages, and the Super Battle as well, but they did a darned good job at tangling all of this stuff down even under the circumstances.

Also... which gameplay style would you prefer? Sonic and the Secret Rings? or Sonic 06? and Why?

You honestly can't be serious.

As a matter of fact, yes, I'm dead serious on that.

It's been quite the futile drive with you and having to educate you on the lore you claim to know oh so well.

• Thumbs Up 3

As a matter of fact, yes, I'm dead serious on that.

It's been quite the futile drive with you and having to educate you on the lore you claim to know oh so well.

Right because everything you've said so far has been nothing but the truth am I right?

Right because everything you've said so far has been nothing but the truth am I right?

Oh yes, and everything you've been stating in this long and drawn out argument that boils down to white knighting 06 by any means necessary, such as comparing it to other games, is so much better?

• Thumbs Up 3

*snip*

Also... which gameplay style would you prefer? Sonic and the Secret Rings? or Sonic 06? and Why?

Secret Rings doesn't glitch. Ever. And therefore plays better amongst other reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yes, and everything you've been stating in this long and drawn out argument that boils down to white knighting 06 by any means necessary, such as comparing it to other games, is so much better?

I know I'm not right about everything, but I'm certainly not wrong about everything either.

At least I'm MATURE enough to admit when I'm wrong instead of just leaving and still acting like you know everything.

Secret Rings doesn't glitch. Ever.

That... wasn't the question...

That... wasn't the question...

I'd hoped you'd catch on to my meaning that Secret Rings play better/has better gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least I'm MATURE enough to admit when I'm wrong instead of just leaving and still acting like you know everything.

Now you're just making assumptions over all of us. It's a shame you think we're being condescending to you, but you made your presence known in this thread with a very snippy and condescending post anyway. What's followed is both sides of the argument going back and forth into border line flaming territory. You only should have expected what would of followed from that. And if by "acting like we know everything" you mean you've been making some big errors where you act like you know everything about the series, it's kind of expected you're going to get called out for it. Sorry, but it's true.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd hoped you'd catch on to my meaning that Secret Rings play better/has better gameplay.

Interesting.

I love Secret Rings gameplay, but y'know it's kinda tedious and WiiMote Functions are pretty finicky if ya ask me.

Also, I'd like to address the "Sonic is to Slow in 06" issue.

I don't think this is the case. See, the only reason anyone really thinks that any character is slow is because of the HUB worlds' size, except Amy that is. In regular Levels the characters move at a relatively easygoing pace and it's never fast enough to have you careening off of a cliff accidentally.

Now you're just making assumptions over all of us. It's a shame you think we're being condescending to you, but you made your presence known in this thread with a very snippy and condescending post anyway. What's followed is both sides of the argument going back and forth into border line flaming territory. You only should have expected what would of followed from that. And if by "acting like we know everything" you mean you've been making some big errors where you act like you know everything about the series, it's kind of expected you're going to get called out for it. Sorry, but it's true.

It was a general synopsis, but yes, that is the case with several members.

And I also made a breif apology compensating for that overly dramatic post. Everyone always goes back to that, yet the NEVER remember the Apology.

and it's never fast enough to have you careening off of a cliff accidentally.

Except the Loops, which can be avoided BTW (The falling off the cliff not the loop)

Interesting.

I love Secret Rings gameplay, but y'know it's kinda tedious and WiiMote Functions are pretty finicky if ya ask me.

I never really had a problem tbh, the level design worked for what the controls were.

Also, I'd like to address the "Sonic is to Slow in 06" issue.

I don't think this is the case. See, the only reason anyone really thinks that any character is slow is because of the HUB worlds' size, except Amy that is. In regular Levels the characters move at a relatively easygoing pace and it's never fast enough to have you careening off of a cliff accidentally.

This:

vs. this:

Now ignoring the fact that one is significantly faster, (Wave Ocean is a shorter level), and the fact that he's abusing the blue and red gems, note just how much faster Sonic is. Sonic also has much more mechanics that enable him to be faster, i.e. the Boost, Slide, Stomp, Quick-Step, etc.

Also, the fact that the Sonic in Action Stages other than the Mach Speed sections were made for platforming instead of raw speed. Yea, unleashed is fast, but theirs rarely any platforming as Regular Sonic at least. 

Was going through the Sonic X animation styles topic and OH GOD.

chairsonic.png

Try standing in that position Sonic is currently in.

I can't look at this screenshot and not think that there's a huge blue stinger coming out of his ass.

Good God was Sonic's 06 model absolutely atrocious. There's just something about the eyes that looks soulless and overall he looks like his limbs, body and quills have been latched onto a taffy hook and stretched.

093amyscrutiny.jpg

Also, Amy appears to be a giant wasp, with her arms and legs coming out of her midsection and the colossal bee stinger coming out of her ass.

SONIC X PREDICTED SONIC 06.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope to high heaven that she's wearing pink underwear in that last shot.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope to high heaven that she's wearing pink underwear in that last shot.

I would hope so or else this means that sonic characters have no butt (for the female ones at least).

Oh. Now I realize SLW is better than 06.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2007/e_200703_4q_pre.pdf

06 was shipped 800k copies. LW is shipped 640k copies now 06 is slightly better than LW

But game quality? LW is far better than 06.

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

This topic isn't exactly the pinnacle of human achievement as it is, so we really don't need your Sega Sammy obsession to muck things up here any further.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh. Now I realize SLW is better than 06.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2007/e_200703_4q_pre.pdf

06 was shipped 800k copies. LW is shipped 640k copies now 06 is slightly better than LW

But game quality? LW is far better than 06.

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

You gotta be kidding me!?

In that report, Sonic 06 got outsold by Sonic Riders in the US & it got beat by Sonic Rush in Europe.

For a main console Sonic title, that's pretty pathetic and I was unimpressed with the game's sales to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

You gotta be kidding me!? In that report, Sonic 06 got outsold by Sonic Riders in the US & it got beat by Sonic Rush in Europe. For a main console Sonic title, that's pretty pathetic and I was unimpressed with the game's sales to begin with.
Yeah. Both LW and 06 is flopped game. But consider whole part of game. LW is little better than 06. Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2