Awoo.

Plot Inconsistencies?

Kamakai

Sooo, what about Sonic CD and Sonic 4 relationship?

In Episode 2 you see Metal Sonic in Little Planet during the bad future of Stardust Speedway. Did Sonic fuck up in CD and never saved Little Planet or something?

Easy answer: Dimps' fucking lazy and got the assets from Generations instead of making their own Stardust Speedway Good Future.

I'm still mystified as to where Classic Tails came from in Generations. Wasn't there a cutscene planned for his introduction that was left on the cutting room floor or something?

Where did Yacker disappear to in Colours? And if he was captured, how did he escape in order to appear in the ending?

In SA2, Eggman gives the world 24 hours to submit to his empire or face annihilation yet when Eggman talks to the president the next morning, he still states that the President has 24 hours to give the answer even though the countdown had been going down since the previous evening. Either Eggman felt generous or that's an inconsistency.

Speaking of non-game continuity but in SatAM's "Sonic Boom" episode, it's implied that the King was imprisoned in Ironlock prison and even a part of his cloak was found by Sally. He also left information on a computer within the prison and used his nickame for Sally as the password to activate it. Yet in season 2's episode "The Void", this is contradicted because he's imprisoned inside the Void instead and has a list of Freedom Fighter groups despite the fact that he was thrown into the Void before Freedom Fighter sects were created and therefore would not have any knowledge of them.

Sonic's flame arrow in SatSR is so indecisive and fickle. When he lands near Night Palace, he doesn't have it

2gt0xt4.png

Then it decides to appear later on in the same cutscene!

s3ers3.png

It also disappears for no explained reason when he turns into Darkspine and no mention is ever made of it again.

Is the moon, a thing that we see one or two times in 4 games or something really that important?

Yes, because if the moon was destroyed life as they knew it would be destroyed on mobius, and a majority of the worlds population would have been killed

Yes, because if the moon was destroyed life as they knew it would be destroyed on mobius, and a majority of the worlds population would have been killed

7 games after the moon was destroyed and people seem to be preety good, the only side effect reported was regular humans turning in cartoony people by the time of Unleashed.

Sonic's flame arrow in SatSR is so indecisive and fickle. When he lands near Night Palace, he doesn't have it

2gt0xt4.png

Then it decides to appear later on in the same cutscene!

s3ers3.png

It also disappears for no explained reason when he turns into Darkspine and no mention is ever made of it again.

I noticed this during Clement's latest Let's Play. Also, is it just me or does the whole "flame of death" thing not actually do all that much to Sonic in the game? Unless of course Clement is so Great at Sonic games that the whole "finish the game before the flame finishes you" part of it means nothing to him?! biggrin.png

Oh yeah and obligatory MAKE BELIEF'S REBOOOOOOOORN! *wangles on geetar*

Edited by MamboCat

I noticed this during Clement's latest Let's Play. Also, is it just me or does the whole "flame of death" thing not actually do all that much to Sonic in the game? Unless of course Clement is so Great at Sonic games that the whole "finish the game before the flame finishes you" means nothing to him?! biggrin.png

I'm pretty sure the "Flame of Death" is supposed to be the equivalent of a ticking time bomb: It doesn't go off immediately, but that doesn't mean it won't go off eventually.

I noticed this during Clement's latest Let's Play. Also, is it just me or does the whole "flame of death" thing not actually do all that much to Sonic in the game? Unless of course Clement is so Great at Sonic games that the whole "finish the game before the flame finishes you" part of it means nothing to him?! biggrin.png

It does do a few things to him.

For one, it uses his life energy as it's fuel, literally burning it away. So should it extinguish, he dies. Simple as. Sonic even acknowledges his mortality in regards to it in one cutscene.

Secondly, the arrow neutralizes attacks against fire-based entities. As Shahra states in one cutscene, because Sonic's life is tied to the flame, he cannot "fight fire with fire", implying that the flame has some kind of elemental influence on his homing attack at least.

Thirdly, the flame doesn't appear to be extinguishable and is the result of very powerful magic, so much so that Shahra can't do anything to remove it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still mystified as to where Classic Tails came from in Generations. Wasn't there a cutscene planned for his introduction that was left on the cutting room floor or something?

I think it happened off screen and we're just supposed to accept it. Joys of a paper thin story I suppose.

In SA2, Eggman gives the world 24 hours to submit to his empire or face annihilation yet when Eggman talks to the president the next morning, he still states that the President has 24 hours to give the answer even though the countdown had been going down since the previous evening. Either Eggman felt generous or that's an inconsistency.

There's also the possibility he put it on a big screen the world over to cause a panic. Said panic would help motivate world leaders into action.

What's really curious is that the President didn't authorise a GUN strike on the station like 50 years ago. I mean sure there was Shadow and everything there but... usually leaders throw everything they've got at someone before rolling over.

Speaking of non-game continuity but in SatAM's "Sonic Boom" episode, it's implied that the King was imprisoned in Ironlock prison and even a part of his cloak was found by Sally. He also left information on a computer within the prison and used his nickame for Sally as the password to activate it.

This is easily explained: he was probably temporarily imprisoned there. Now, why Robotnik would leave him there and then decide a bit later to toss him into the Void, who knows.

Of course, this is quickly contradicted by Blast to the Past... where he's thrown into the Void immediately after the coup.

However, there was a butterfly effect; the Destroyer never tried to take out the Great Forest prior to to the trip backward. So, it's possible the time travel caused Ironlock to be removed from the equation.

7 games after the moon was destroyed and people seem to be preety good, the only side effect reported was regular humans turning in cartoony people by the time of Unleashed.

Yeah. Let us remember these are the same guys who destroyed an entire metropolis with a tsunami and yet claim no one died. I'm sorry, Sega good sir, are you a cow farmer, because I certainly smell the bullshit!

I have one: I don't fully remember the story in Shadow the Hedgehog so maybe I'm wrong, but, the game explains at anytime, good/neutral/evil/final ending, how Shadow survived the fall from space after SA2 and how he got captured and trapped inside Eggman's secret base in SH?...

Edited by Jango

I have one: I don't fully remember the story in Shadow the Hedgehog so maybe I'm wrong, but, the game explains at anytime, good/neutral/evil/final ending, how Shadow survived the fall from space after SA2 and how he got captured and trapped inside Eggman's secret base in SH?...

During the final battle if it drags on long enough, Eggman comes on over intercom and explains that one of his robots saved Shadow from his fall.

Some hidden plot details are often in the final bosses... there's lots of quotes I've never heard before in the Final Hazard, for example.

My favorite inconsistency is the way Flying Battery is magically fixed when Knuckles is playing his Epilogue story in S3AK :P

My favorite inconsistency is the way Flying Battery is magically fixed when Knuckles is playing his Epilogue story in S3AK tongue.png

The Robotnik Empire is led by the world's greatest engineer. He fixed the Death Egg, so it's not too surprising a relatively small ship was easy to fix. The man loves his flying fortresses. To the point he went crazy and built an entire FLEET at one point...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

The Robotnik Empire is led by the world's greatest engineer. He fixed the Death Egg, so it's not too surprising a relatively small ship was easy to fix. The man loves his flying fortresses. To the point he went crazy and built an entire FLEET at one point...

It's obviously just an oversight that they couldn't be bothered to change. Probably because they thought fans wouldn't be so obsessive over their games!

They thought wrong :o .

Maybe he had a backup flying battery, like he did the Egg carrier, that Egg Robo then took for a joyride?

And Knuckles wasn't supposed to play flying battery anyway, they included it to even out the level numbers

Edited by Jolt_TH

Maybe he had a backup flying battery, like he did the Egg carrier, that Robo Robotnik then took for a joyride?

And so Knuckles wasn't supposed to play flying battery anyway, they included it to even out the level numbers

It's obviously a plot oversight :P . It's not a big deal! I doubt they envisaged that S3AK would become the holy grail to Sonic fans :P

Lots of things are obviously oversights, but it's nonetheless pretty fun to try and find a reasonable explanation for them within the context of the continuity. :P

The Moon thing, blatant oversight, but the multiple moons thing makes one wonder.

I'm still curious about the Shadow clone/android thing though. That's just confusing me.

It's obviously a plot oversight :P . It's not a big deal! I doubt they envisaged that S3AK would become the holy grail to Sonic fans :P

Nope, S3&K was meant to be a while game at one point, With Flying Battery coming between Carnival Night and Ice Cap (Sonic was meant to snowboard on the door that flies off, aka City Escape). Knuckles was meant to skip this (as sonic already destroyed it) and go straight to IC. But they made him play it in S&K as he already lost Death Egg and to an extent Sky Sanctuary. So he would have only played 3 Zones (as opposed to Sonics 6!)That's why there is Eggman in the cockpit of the boss rather than Egg Robo during Knuckles boss, there was NEVER an Egg Robo sprite in there.

Haha yeah, but it ended up becoming one of the best in the series!

That's a note, assuming they were originally planned as one game, the flying ship at the end of Angel island was meant to be Flying Battery, why does it change colour? And why do we never see said ship again if it is counted as a separate ship?

Can't see Eggman leaving a perfectly good Flying Fortress in his warehouse...then again maybe it's in his Egg museum as the ONLY Flying Fortress to date that has survives Sonic!

That's a note, assuming they were originally planned as one game, the flying ship at the end of Angel island was meant to be Flying Battery, why does it change colour? And why do we never see said ship again if it is counted as a separate ship?

Now that is a definite oversight there. I didn't even think of that one.

One of the many minor details that just is never really touched on I guess. One of the dev team's "fans won't think about it" moments.

And then the diehards like us come in and prove them wrong. wink.png

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

there is no time in the "white world" of Sonic Generations.

I would say that all of the plot-holes and things seen there are not canon at all.

The whole story concept of Crisis City reappearing in Generations speaks for itself. 06 basically erased itself from canon, but then crisis city appears as one of the stages. 

I'm pretty sure crisis city was already in white space before the time eater even did anything there. I also have to wonder though if crisis city was a level in generations ,does that mean that Sonic remembers being in soleanna at the end of 06? Or any events from 06? I mean for crisis city to be there there had to be events to create it. Also, sonic rivals. The ifrit is seen as a enemy that ruined silvers future. Now looking at the world silver came to in rivals, it looks almost identie to crisis city. Could the ifrit and iblis have a relation? (Btw I thought there was already a inconsistency topic...)

I don't know why people have a problem with a magic time-shredding monster being able to get his hands on an alternate timeline.

Like, this is all loose fictional time bullshit as it is; what reason is there to say that he can't grab it the same as every other level?

• Thumbs Up 1

In Sonic Unleashed, Sonic being immune to Dark Gaia's mind-controlling abilities is a pretty important plot point. Yet in Sonic Rivals 2, the Ifrit manages to put him under mind control with no effort at all. I do wonder if Eggman's mind control ray in Colours would even have any effect on Sonic if he was hit with it.

I don't think Dark Gaia has mind control. I think it just draws out and amplifies negative/destructive feelings that are already there. And Sonic's just ~so pure~ that there's no darkness in him, so he stays the same.

• Thumbs Up 1