Awoo.

Sonic Dash (iOS/Android)

Detective Shadzter

I'm just going to guess the extra characters were never included for alternative gameplay. The game itself is defining itself as an endless run. So it's naturally Sonic-centric. The others were likely just included so as to cash in one the fact many Sonic fans like a character more than Sonic himself. Won't be surprised if we see Shadow sooner or later.

As a cash in, it's logical they're just repaints.

And Jump? It's another cash-in game, but everyone has pros and cons. Such could have been the case with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Jump? It's another cash-in game, but everyone has pros and cons. Such could have been the case with this.

Jump doesn't look anywhere near as profit-seeking though. This game just screams "Money money money!" Logically that means to do the minimal cost maximum profit approach they just make a quick reskin and call it a day.

We can argue about what the game could have been all we want, but my point was addressing what it is already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jump doesn't look anywhere near as profit-seeking though. This game just screams "Money money money!" Logically that means to do the minimal cost maximum profit approach they just make a quick reskin and call it a day.

We can argue about what the game could have been all we want, but my point was addressing what it is already.

The difference is, Jump offers everything that player paid for and purchased when they bought the game. It also allows the player to actually progress with the game, regardless of whether or not it's time-consuming to do so.

Jump is a cash-grab game that offers the player an incentive to buy and play. 

Dash is a cash-grab game that offers the player an incentive to pay extra for, lest they can't play.

After reading peoples complaints on other characters I have to ask, why is it such a surprise the characters are all reskins in a game like this? Temple run and most other games in this genre treat unlockable characters like this. It's an endless runner with the main focus on running as far as possible. Besides the other characters trademark abilities simply wouldn't work that well in this kind of game.

Edited by sjmaster92

I have Jump, I've never been tempted to buy Rings but I've played and enjoyed it extensively as well as unlocked many things. Sometimes it takes a long time, but it never felt impossible and I've never felt it was ever necessary to buy my way further.

Dash sounds like the opposite.

After reading peoples complaints on other characters I have to ask, why is it such a surprise the characters are all reskins in a game like this? Temple run and most other games in this genre treat unlockable characters like this. It's an endless runner with the main focus on running as far as possible. Besides the other characters trademark abilities simply wouldn't work that well in this kind of game.

It's not hard to make the characters different...

• Shorter spin dash, but longer jump
  • Can't dash, but can attack obstacles
  • Faster/slower than normal
  • Thumbs Up 3

Actually as a result of this discussion I downloaded Temple Run 2! XD

It's pretty good - and as far as I can tell, each new character you unlock (with the integral currency of "coins") they each have a particular ability. The first dude comes with a shield and the second character has an extended boost (CHAOS CONTROOOOOOOOOOOOOOL LALALALALALALALALALALA!).

It would be nice if the different characters did different things in Dash, too...

They should change the title from Sonic Dash to Roger Craig Smith's Benevolent Fund, then... tongue.png

That's deep man...LMAO!

I have Jump, I've never been tempted to buy Rings but I've played and enjoyed it extensively as well as unlocked many things. Sometimes it takes a long time, but it never felt impossible and I've never felt it was ever necessary to buy my way further.

Dash sounds like the opposite.

Yes, this seems like the problem.

With paid content it should be "this is a bonus you could otherwise get but if you don't like the opportunity cost you can just buy it," not, "You have to buy this at some point, despite already having the core game."

It's not hard to make the characters different...

• Shorter spin dash, but longer jump
  • Can't dash, but can attack obstacles
  • Faster/slower than normal

If that character has this ability, it will be by far the best character to use. The obstacles are there for a 1 hit death.

While it's still a cheap practice, remember that "MORE MISSIONS ARE ON TEH WAY" probably means when the game's not a public pseudo-beta you'll likely be able to eventually buy all the characters without spending money.

Unless you actually use the red rings elsewhere and they don't actually listen and add a second way to get red rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, because being unable to unlock Tails or Knuckles without actually paying real money for red rings is totally "optional".

Oh my gosh...the game JUST came out! It hasn't even had an update yet! An average casual player, whihc is the target audience for this game, will not play it like we do and take it as an actual Sonic game, so they wouldn't finish up all the missions by the time the app gets an update.

Still, if the characters are already technically up for unlocking, you shouldn't have to wait for an update to be able to actually unlock them.

I'm hoping that the above guess that this was meant for casual gamers is correct. Maybe it'll stop looking so much like a gigantic microtransactions scheme after an update or two makes it more flexible.

We can hope at least. :(

Oh my gosh...the game JUST came out! It hasn't even had an update yet! An average casual player, whihc is the target audience for this game, will not play it like we do and take it as an actual Sonic game, so they wouldn't finish up all the missions by the time the app gets an update.

I really don't think this justifies all the relentless nickel-and-diming the game tries to do, especially when purchasing the Red Rings gives you an advantage on other fronts, by allowing you to skip missions, therefore increasing the score multiplier, and allowing you retries.

So yes, there's TECHNICALLY a way around paying, or at least there will be in the future, but that hardly excuses this. Hell, whenever you die you're reminded to buy Red Rings, or items that use Red Rings which can get you further- and considering the "just one more try" nature of the game they were trying to create, it's pretty low and shameless.

And as I said, taking advantage of the game's other features too much, can make unlocking other characters impossible without buying them, regardless of how many missions they add.

HAHAHA, Amy runs like an asshole!

That is a very astute observation.

Ooookay not even addressing what's above. :P

Yeah the advertising issue does seem pretty bad. The more invasive a product is the more despised it will become, the opposite of the desired effect.

Was having a "store" feature at a main menu such a horrible idea?

Was having a "store" feature at a main menu such a horrible idea?

I wouldn't say it's horrible, I'll say it's pointless.

I wouldn't say it's horrible, I'll say it's pointless.

Guess that explains the constant in-your-face advertising then...

Quite a nice set of poisons we've got here. Store button on menu, with minimal clickthrough... or obnoxious reminders to buy stuff that's really off putting.

Well, whatever turns a profit better I guess. :(

Wow, the graphics look terrible. That's nowhere good looking as mine. O.o

I really need to get it on my iPad to see how they'll turn out.

...then again when I see all the critiques of it in this thread I'm kinda scared of getting it at all, at least until there's some day where it's offered for free.

Personally, if the Red Star Ring system was abolished completely, most of my beef with this game would be gone.

The thing that bugged me in Sonic Jump was that accumulating rings was a painstaking process; you had to either bank them or keep them until the end of the stage for them to actually be added to your spendable ring balance. However, from what I can see in Dash, the option to bank your rings has far less worth; let's face it, you're more likely to die from crashing into an obstacle than you are from colliding with an enemy or spikes.

Even if you die, as long as its not as the result of something that would cause you to lose your rings, all of your rings still get added to your balance, making it much easier to grind and build up rings by yourself. Of course, I suppose they realised this, and that if Red Star Rings weren't the only currency of any real value in this game, very few people would bother to spend any money on microtransactions. 

PJbedbi.png

Sonic Wildfire

Sonic-Speeding-to-February-20-for-Wii-Fa

Holy shit, your right. it does look similar...

Anyways:

If anyone is making a character mod for these 3 characters in Generations, I would look to these as refferecnes since they share allot of the same character movements and actions as Sonic does in Generations. (Ex: Dashing/Boosting, trick jumping, arial floating, etc. etc.)