Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

Also, I think the TP style is the most boring too. I've said it before though and I've said it again. While some people may not think him being right handed is a big deal, people just don't randomly change their master hand.

My main worry about this is that Nintendo will just stick to the 2 most boring Zelda styles... well, Toon Link isn't boring, but he's been used to hell. I wish they'd just use another Link for once FFS >.<

Well that's fine if thats what you think but I LOVE the TP style. I love the detail that was put into it. For example, I thought Link's chainmail armor was a really cool extra little touch. I really liked the toon shading in WW but I thought that game had awful character design.

Link isn't always the same Link, so yeah it makes fine sense for him to be right handed in this game.

Use another Link for once?! There has been like 6 or 7 drastically different designs for Link over the years. I'm glad they've decided to stick with TP style for console Zeldas and Toon style for the handheld Zeldas. No one bitches that Sonic or Mario, etc. don't have a whole new unique look in every game. Why do it about Link?

Oh and I would hate if they did a Zelda in space or a future Zelda.

Edited by speedfreak

Link isn't always the same Link, so yeah it makes fine sense for him to be right handed in this game.

The thing is that there have been 10 different Links and this is the first right handed one. Isn't that more than a little odd?

Use another Link for once?! There has been like 6 or 7 drastically different designs for Link over the years. I'm glad they've decided to stick with TP style for console Zeldas and Toon style for the handheld Zeldas. No one bitches that Sonic or Mario, etc. don't have a whole new unique look in every game. Why do it about Link?

Because Link isn't the same person every time? The same Link has only ever been in a maximum of 2 games. Having the exact same design for Links across multiple different eras is just cheap. Small variations have always been an excellent idea for the Zelda series, but from now on it looks like the TP and WW designs will just be recycled for ages.

Woah, this is amazing! I think that just teaser artwork though. I hope the game doesn't take place in Hyrule again. I'm tired of that place. Imagination is limitless, so I'm really looking foward to what they come up with.

I was actually dissapointed with TP. Not because of the art style. (although there was a little too much drabby brown) It was just that the game mostly felt boring and outdated in its game design and difficulty. Once you got to the fourth temple, everything just became meh.

I really hope to see stuff that's really... out there in this new one. Majora's Mask was brilliant with that sort of thing.

I don't find it odd at at that they would make this Link right handed. The majority of people who will play this game are right handed so they have to cater to that. Besides you complain so much about wanting the character of Link to look different over the ages but then still complain when they actually do make a difference in the character and alter a trait as minimal as which hand is holding the sword. Seems a bit hypocritical.

I think you may be jumping the gun on your second point. Miyamoto never gives us the whole story on Zelda games right off the bat. Besides even if it is a different Link then this will be the first time they've used a similar style, second if ST Link is different then PH/WW Link. Still not a cause for concern as far as I can tell though. We don't even know the graphic style this new Zelda will take. So while he may look like TP Link the games graphic style could give the game a completely different feel compared to TP.

Edited by speedfreak

Besides you complain so much about wanting the character of Link to look different over the ages but then still complain when they actually do make a difference in the character and alter a trait as minimal as which hand is holding the sword. Seems a bit hypocritical.

That's different. Changing his hairstyle or shade of green tunic is a completely different thing from changing his master hand for the first time since Zelda's creation over 20 years ago.

I think you may be jumping the gun on your second point. Miyamoto never gives us the whole story on Zelda games right off the bat. Besides even if it is a different Link then this will be the first time they've used a similar style, second if ST Link is different then PH/WW Link. Still not a cause for concern as far as I can tell though. We don't even know the graphic style this new Zelda will take. So while he may look like TP Link the games graphic style could give the game a completely different feel compared to TP.

Miyamoto said this is set in a different era. Also, Toon Link has pretty much been used in every 2D games since WW... That's 5 different Links that look like Toon Link already.

Although this Link looks less like TP Link than all those other Links look like WW Link. <_<

Miyamoto said this is set in a different era. Also, Toon Link has pretty much been used in every 2D games since WW... That's 5 different Links that look like Toon Link already.

Although this Link looks less like TP Link than all those other Links look like WW Link. <_<

Bear in mind that Toon Link was based on the Links you see in in ALTTP and such and is the more accurate 3D representation of those 'classic' Links than OOT Link or others. Also we've only had one, ONE cel-shaded 3D Zelda title, and that was Wind Waker, while it looks like Zelda Wii brings the tally up of realistic ones up to four. Yeah the DS games have been cel-shaded too but they're blocky and although the style is still nice there, I really do long for the gorgeous smoothness of the cel-shaded Wind Wakery world on a home console again.

Bear in mind that Toon Link was based on the Links you see in in ALTTP and such and is the more accurate 3D representation of those 'classic' Links than OOT Link or others.

No, I don't see it. Toon Link is as much a redesign as OoT Link. Even the Oracle series Link looked more different to LttP Link than all the Toon Links have to each other.

Also we've only had one, ONE cel-shaded 3D Zelda title, and that was Wind Waker, while it looks like Zelda Wii brings the tally up of realistic ones up to four. Yeah the DS games have been cel-shaded too but they're blocky and although the style is still nice there, I really do long for the gorgeous smoothness of the cel-shaded Wind Wakery world on a home console again.

I would much rather see a more anime style Link, or the return of a more LttP/Oracle style Link in full 3D. I've always wanted to see what he would look like 3D and cel shaded really... Cel shaded doesn't imply Toon Link. Toon Link looks pretty much exactly the same in:

Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass

Minish Cap

Four Swords

Four Swords Adventures

Spirit Tracks

And that's FIVE different Links! I did love the look of Wind Waker, but at one point each and every different Link had minor redesigns, adding to the fact that they were different people with the same "soul" (per se). Now it just seems like they're going to use the two very most contrasting Link styles for a loooong time.

And I really miss realistic Young Link :(

Edited by #385 Jirachi

I actually really like the idea of the story being about the origins of the Master Sword. I think a lot of stuff could be answered and it'd be very interesting in my perspective, =O. And as for Link being right handed, don't you guys think they could through in the option at the beginning of the game if you are right or left handed? I mean, the game is completely for the Wii, and obviously there will be people who prefer holding the Wiimote in one hand or the other; I'm pretty sure we'll have the option.

I was actually hoping that this next Zelda would like Wind Waker, since it'd look absolutely amazing on the Wii, but I can live with the realism.

-Blur

Who knows when we'll return to the OoT/ MM setting.

But I did in my fan fic, The Legend of Zelda, which picks up from the Manga adaptation of Majora's Mask and heads into a remake of the original Zelda Title. Also,

when Link defeats Ganon, Zelda is really Dark Link (giving Link the usual Toad line) and

it leads into Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I actually really like the idea of the story being about the origins of the Master Sword. I think a lot of stuff could be answered and it'd be very interesting in my perspective, =O. And as for Link being right handed, don't you guys think they could through in the option at the beginning of the game if you are right or left handed? I mean, the game is completely for the Wii, and obviously there will be people who prefer holding the Wiimote in one hand or the other; I'm pretty sure we'll have the option.

I love the idea too. I'm really hoping that Nintendo start making Zelda titles that make the storyline or continuity more obvious. After all, if they say there's a timeline, why are they trying to make it so vague? It just annoys me 'cos half of everyone insists there isn't a timeline at all! (not a debate I particularly want to get into again)

Also, it's clear that this Link is the first canonically right handed Link. What else is possible is that this could be the only Zelda set before Ocarina of Time! That way, the origin of the Master Sword could be explained, and it also may explain why this Link is right handed, as for all we know, all other Links are descended from OoT Link.

I'm almost hoping that like I said before, this Link is darker and more of an anti Link. I'm not quite sure why.

was actually hoping that this next Zelda would like Wind Waker, since it'd look absolutely amazing on the Wii, but I can live with the realism.

I don't think it would look too different on Wii considering WW was one of the best looking GC titles. I'd much rather wait until Nintendo's HD 8th gen console to see how amazing a "next gen" WW could look.

Edited by #385 Jirachi

How about a Cel-Shaded realistic looking Zelda game, i.e like the concept art we see there. So, more painted than cel-shaded, a bit like Okami.

How about a Cel-Shaded realistic looking Zelda game, i.e like the concept art we see there. So, more painted than cel-shaded, a bit like Okami.

I would probably die of happiness. Also, if Nintendo could make cel-shading popular with WW, then I have no doubt that this would be a huge success unlike Okami :(

YES! This way we get the beautiful world of WW with the art style and detail of TP. That would be pretty much perfect. As I've said before I thought WW looked great due to the toon shading but I really disliked it's character designs.

Very good. This shouldn't start too much of an uproar. The only game that least picks my noodle is the Metroid: Other M.

I would probably die of happiness. Also, if Nintendo could make cel-shading popular with WW, then I have no doubt that this would be a huge success unlike Okami :(

Jet Grind Radio, not wind waker, is responsable for any popularity cel shading has.

Jet Grind Radio, not wind waker, is responsable for any popularity cel shading has.

Not really. Jet Set Radio wasn't particularly popular, but Wind Waker on the other hand was widely accepted and successful even though Cel Shading was seen as so "weird" back then.

Arguably being the first cel shaded game doesn't mean it's responsible for all cel-shaded popularity.

Edited by #385 Jirachi

You cannot possibly deny that Wind Waker is what sold Cel Shading to Nintendo fans and subsequently the wider gaming community. Jet Set Radio was good, had a cult status, but it was niche and on a fast-fading console.

It's always been this way, SEGA invents a technique, everyone ignores it. Nintendo uses it and all of a sudden it's innovative and godly.

Sega did it, but they didn't apply it to Sonic like they should have, and although we got two cult classics out of it, they weren't pushed and that series is basically dead now. Wind Waker definitely pushed the bounds of cel-shading in TWW and that made other developers see it as a viable means of stylising games, and its revival in PH and ST on the DS shows that Nintendo hasn't forgotten it, unlike mean old uncle Sega.

I and many other Zelda fans adore the Wind Waker way, and we hope it's not forgotten on home consoles. For my part, it is one big reason why TWW feels so much more magical and, well, more Zelda than Twilight Princess, which, while a great game, did feel kinda hollow to me.

Sega did it, but they didn't apply it to Sonic like they should have, and although we got two cult classics out of it, they weren't pushed and that series is basically dead now. Wind Waker definitely pushed the bounds of cel-shading in TWW and that made other developers see it as a viable means of stylising games, and its revival in PH and ST on the DS shows that Nintendo hasn't forgotten it, unlike mean old uncle Sega.

I and many other Zelda fans adore the Wind Waker way, and we hope it's not forgotten on home consoles. For my part, it is one big reason why TWW feels so much more magical and, well, more Zelda than Twilight Princess, which, while a great game, did feel kinda hollow to me.

*coughsonicshufflecough*.

Sonic Shuffle was balls, and not successful like Wind Waker.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Sonic Shuffle was balls, and not successful like Wind Waker.

It was(The Chao in this game is FUCKING EVIL!!!!)but it was still Cell Shaded.

Ugh :( I read something over at IGN that says the first glimpse of the new Zelda isn't supposed to properly debut until next years E3. So far away.........I cling to hope that the Oct. conference will bring us a trailer. Was there a confirmation of a Nintendo conference for this Oct.?

It's always been this way, SEGA invents a technique, everyone ignores it. Nintendo uses it and all of a sudden it's innovative and godly.

SEGA didn't invent cell shading, and Nintendo were never praised for "inventing" it, which they also didn't do.

It was my understanding that Cel-shading was created by a regular computer design group. As in they didn't design video games.