Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

For the same reason the switch in Twilight Princess. Because most players are right handed, right handed controls are developed. I'd love to see a lefty mode where all the characters are flipped to keep combat right, and of course fans who are being picky happy. XD

I'm left handed and picky. So it's both reasons. XD

Around the time of TP's production time, I told myself I wouldn't get the Wii version because it would be more difficult to control the game for me. While watching player videos of early builds made me imagine the difficulty of criss crossing myself with Link's movements and it just looked awkward. Not to mention controlling movement with my right hand just sounds blasphemous. I never did pick up the game yet and so completely forgot about the flip-flop after all this time after having no exposure to the game yet.

I'm waiting for a left-handed control scheme myself for this game, if there isn't I'll be a sad panda.

So possibly the Master Sword in this new game will either have some sort of avatar/living essence or this is something the sword has always had and it is simply being personified in this game. I love the concept as it would be wonderful to delve into the mysterious history of the Master Sword and discover more about it's creation and power. It's always simply been most Zelda games main weapon and described as 'the blade of evils bane' but it would be nice to know WHY and HOW.

Also this needn't be another Navi as the sword's personification could be silent. The visual resemblance to the Great Fairy from Wind Waker could also be a clue, perhaps the sword has fairy origins? Maybe it is a fairy in blade form, thus it's mysterious power?

I'm just guessing here.

Over-sized letter opener jokes anyone?

If it helps any nitpicky fans, this Link's hair seems to be a much stronger blonde colour than TP was. His was more dirty blonde, veering into brown (which was nice! Made a change).

Personally prefer Lando's interpretation, although the cloaky thing looks about right.

Also, the similarity to the fairy queen is undeniable. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw her.

It's not TP Link, Miyamoto says it's a seperate era. Other people have said it's a grown up OoT/MM Link, or a realistic adult WW Link (due to the Fairy Queen). But keep in mind that all those Links are canonically Left handed.

It's most likely that this is an all new Link with a style similar to a mix of TP/OoT Link.

Edited by #385 Jirachi

iI don't see how the 'head' can be analogous to the sword's blade when the cloak is facing the wrong way for that to look even remotely plausible. The head would be analogous to the rounded, bauble-esque end of the sword's handle.

I still think Its a Zora. Maybe Link, Zelda, & The Master Sword isn't enough. Maybe he needs to form a group due to a war?

Considering that a lot of the design parts of the sword are out of sequence with the design of the Master Sword/Great Fairy Queen character's clothing, I'm not sure it matters what parts actually appear where. That, and the hair looks completely different from the thing at the end of the handle anyway.

The whole gaming side of the internet is abuzz with speculation about this picture. :lol: It does seem likely the girl is the Master Sword, what with her looks and Miyamoto's comments about Link not holding his sword. I wonder if we've all hit the nail right on the head or if we'll all be laughing at our speculation at the time of the games reveal.

iI don't see how the 'head' can be analogous to the sword's blade when the cloak is facing the wrong way for that to look even remotely plausible. The head would be analogous to the rounded, bauble-esque end of the sword's handle.

The cloak is that way 'cos of physics. A cloak going upwards would look silly even in Zelda. ;)

Other than the cloak looking the wrong way, I think she looks more like a sword with her legs as the hilt and her cloak and hilt making up the rest of the hilt and the blade.

Here's some random crap I came up with earlier:

- We really don't know much about the faries, perhaps it will have something to do with the Fairy world.

- The Queen Fairy was clearly still young in Wind Waker. If this is the Queen Fairy grown older than this could be the future of the Great Sea.

- If the Queen Fairy is somehow connected to the Master Sword (similarities to both can't really be denied) then maybe the Master Sword has its origins related to fairies?

- The Queen Fairy may become the Mistress Sword, implying that this Link could be an anti Link of sorts. He may have a darker personality (doesn't mean he'll be a twat or anything necessarily), he's right handed, he has the Mistress Sword as opposed to the Master Sword.

- I hope hope hope it drastically changes the way we see certain events in the series. Still a firm believer of the chronology.

My favourite idea is the anti-Link idea, as it would offer a perfect canonical explanation for the switch of hands, rather than Nintendo just ignoring the inconsistency completely...

If there's one thing I missed about huge Zelda announcements, it's speculating the shit out of every possible detail! ^^ I'm actually having a lot of fun with this.

I think you guys may be over thinking this. She doesn't have to resemble the Master Sword exactly while in human form. I think she's just meant to have similar characteristics so you can link (no pun intended) the two together as one object/person. So she may be a bit scrambled while in human form, so what? It's not like a sword becoming a person is perfectly logical to begin with.

Edited by speedfreak

Why are you people comparing a mysterious figure to a sword?

Cause everyone on IGN and elsewhere is doing the same Why not? There's some credible, valuable logic in it.

The cloak is that way 'cos of physics. A cloak going upwards would look silly even in Zelda. ;)

Other than the cloak looking the wrong way, I think she looks more like a sword with her legs as the hilt and her cloak and hilt making up the rest of the hilt and the blade.

I literally cannot see what you're getting at, to my mind the only possible way is the one I've laid out:

2poeceg.png

Am I the only one that doesn't think that the fairy is tied with the sword, =O? Cool to speculate and all, but I think I'll wait just for a tad more info first, <3.

-Blur

Anything's possible right now really, but the sword.. resemblance, is definitely there. Another possibility is that she's a Zora - except that's not a cloak she's wearing, if it's a she. The missing link between Zora and Rito?

Also note the lack of a sword on Link's back or in his hand. If the girl..fairy..thing isn't the Master Sword, and Nintendo want to break up the 'typical' structure of future Zelda games, doing away with the principle weapon is a clever start.

Anything's possible right now really, but the sword.. resemblance, is definitely there. Another possibility is that she's a Zora - except that's not a cloak she's wearing, if it's a she. The missing link between Zora and Rito?

Also note the lack of a sword on Link's back or in his hand. If the girl..fairy..thing isn't the Master Sword, and Nintendo want to break up the 'typical' structure of future Zelda games, doing away with the principle weapon is a clever start.

No, no it's not. I would hate it if Link didn't use a sword. Thankfully we know that isn't the case because Miyamoto has already confirmed we can expect the sword play to be similar to Wii Sports Resorts sword play.

Giving the sword an actual living persona could be interesting though, imagine being able to switch her into that form and then attack in a totally different way. She could fly forward in a mist-like form and strike foes differently while you as Link play the defensive. Obviously you would be in control of her, swinging the remote in order to issue attacks, but the flow of battle would be different. I like the idea of two main battle styles and perhaps even the ability to switch between them on the fly should the fight require it. Sword for close range combat, spirit for more long range attacks.

Of course she could simply be a plot point and have no physical use at all but it's fun to speculate. :P

So does anyone else think that by "a completely new era" Miyamoto meant like 5 years later or so? And that when asked if the game was a follow up to Twilight Princess or something completely different, and he said " I can't go into details about the game. But I can say that it will be something different entirely" that what was really going on here was some interview translator shenanigans, and what Miyamoto really meant was " I can't comment on the status of the game being a sequel. But I can say it is going to be different than the game you played before it"

...Because I seriously think it's going to be a Twilight Princess sequel.

( Note: Not wishful thinking, because I'd much rather it not be based off the most boring (art style-wise ) era in Zelda.)

I enjoy TP. It has a realistic like art style but still looks cartoony IMO. Id enjoy another TP game.

Link in a Sci-Fi Future

He dons the Hero of Time uniform and becomes the buttjoke of everyone with their rocketshoes and automatically adjusted skater jackets

Edited by Otsego Rotom

Link in a Sci-Fi Future

He dons the Hero of Time uniform and becomes the buttjoke of everyone with their rocketshoes and automatically adjusted skater jackets

That would be the most amazing Zelda game ever.

If that blue person has anything to do with the Master Sword, could it be the Master Sword's origin story? It could be that the old Queen of Fairies before the Wind Waker one became the Master Sword in order to aid the Great Heroes of Hyrule in times of greatest need.

Another theory might be that Ganon or another magician has turned the Master Sword into the girl seen there, like he turned Link into a Wolf in Twilight Princess. With the legendary blade no longer able to pierce him in the way it had so many times before, he was suddenly free to run amok at his leisure.

I would hate it if Link didn't use a sword. Thankfully we know that isn't the case because Miyamoto has already confirmed we can expect the sword play to be similar to Wii Sports Resorts sword play.

All I said was that removing the principle weapon was a clever idea, and it still is. The girl could be wielded like the Master Sword but in interesting new ways, and you could still have a regular sword to boot.

Link in a Sci-Fi Future

I actually thought Metroid Other M was the new Zelda. Wasn't looking as Samus' chest, just her face, I thought it was Link. xD Shows how much of a girly man Link is. Personally I'd welcome a sci-fi Zelda with open arms if it meant doing something really unique.

Also, I think the TP style is the most boring too. I've said it before though and I've said it again. While some people may not think him being right handed is a big deal, people just don't randomly change their master hand.

My main worry about this is that Nintendo will just stick to the 2 most boring Zelda styles... well, Toon Link isn't boring, but he's been used to hell. I wish they'd just use another Link for once FFS >.<