Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

We know that biologically he's over 50 years old. Physically, it's more of a guessing game. He might be 15 like Sonic, or slightly older due to his heightened maturity, 

Does anyone know the exact age of Shadow or if it's even possible to determine it?

Considering the trend of how most Sonic characters are teens(The only ones that are animals that come to mind are Big and Vector). I say he's a "teen" as well.

A lot of Chaos vs Super Emerald problems are fixed if you assume two things:

1. Hyper Sonic is non-canon and purely a gameplay reward (The Doomsday can be played as Super Sonic in S&K alone after all)

2. The Super Emerald was a permanent upgrade to the Chaos Emeralds.  While Hyper Sonic is non-canon, the powerful Chaos Emeralds remained, and are only named "Super Emeralds" in S3&K to mark them as the upgraded version.  They're still just chaos emeralds, they've just been super ever since too.

Shadow is most likely a teen like Sonic - but is probably younger in terms of genuine, non-stasis age.  I don't think it was implied that Maria and Gerald spent over a decade on the ARK, but who knows.

Considering we see Shadow being created in flashback cut-scenes of ShTH, fully grown, it's possible he isn't even a year or two old in terms of time spent conscious.

Edited by JezMM

Grr. I'm trying to find the old American site for Sonic '06. I'm certain that it gave Shadows age in his bio, and that it said he was 15- same as Sonic. But the European version of the site was updated at some point to remove that , or I'm mistaken. I'm fairly sure it said he was 15 though, even if it was just an error.

Considering we see Shadow being created in flashback cut-scenes of ShTH, fully grown, it's possible he isn't even a year or two old in terms of time spent conscious.

That's actually a really creepy but good point; he's only been out of his chamber for a few years. So depending on how much time he spent on board the ARK with Maria, he could only be a few years old.

DAWWW Widdle Shadsy is only a toddlwer! :3 *pinches his cheeks*

I do like the idea that he really is 50-odd and just never ages. That would explain his grumpiness compared to the outgoing teens of the rest of the cast! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat

Here's a question I couldn't find a topic for, don't really wanna make a new one just for it either. Haven't been able to join Retro's forums so ill ask here since I know occasionally people from there visit here. Maybe someone can ask them for me or knows the answer.

I recently acquired a copy of the EU/PAL version of Sonic R for PC from a guarage sale. Original oldschool huge PC box, Sega PC branded, not Xplosive or budget/classics packaging, saw it and jumped on it. But it doesn't look anything like the "original" packaging shot they have up on retro. It looks like the PAL Saturn cover art, covers the full front of the box, clean, no budget branding etc. Has manual and disc etc, real nice condition.

My question is, is this an original copy and the Retro pics are from a later release? Or is my copy a rerelease or a fake or something? Also if it is real do you think they would like scans and pics of it for the page?

Drifting doesn't make you move faster, it helps you maintain speed round corners so you loose little to no speed, that's why they use it in rally driving (and good players use it in Mario Kart)

Most likely slower due to him not being able to propel himself forward like when he is running, just using downward momentum to move, he may be able to streamline himself though to increase his speed (but not to the speeds of running)

I'd Imagine he could reach his Terminal velocity by boarding but no faster, he could far exceed this by running

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 1

Drifting doesn't make you move faster, it helps you maintain speed round corners so you loose little to no speed, that's why they use it in rally driving (and good players use it in Mario Kart)

Most likely slower due to him not being able to propel himself forward like when he is running, just using downward momentum to move, he may be able to streamline himself though to increase his speed (but not to the speeds of running)

I'd Imagine he could reach his Terminal velocity by boarding but no faster, he could far exceed this by running

Unless Sonic is able to transfer his boost power into the board.

That too, but even then I doubt it would be faster than him running, I'm not sure how boosting would affect Sonic's terminal velocity physics wise :P

Drifting is only ever faster when you keep swaying back and forth while going over water, hence why speedrunners use it as you'll see on any run of Seaside Hill or the Emerald Coast mod using Endless Boost to bypass the majority of the levels, such as this. As for why, it's probably just a physics oddity that was overlooked since it's a rather obscure thing to do (much like the one in All-Stars Racing Transformed where you could keep stunting to the side while facing just off to move faster than normal flying, though Sumo fixed that already).

Sonic's legs are much more powerful than any board, as well, and it's only fast because Sonic uses it primarily to go downhill, especially on steep slopes along the lines of City Escape or Ice Cap. No matter how much

wanted you to think Sonic's board is the best mode of transport ever by scaling up a clocktower, it struggles when it's going remotely uphill without any automatic movement to carry it at a set speed; his legs can let him steamroll uphill easily.

BJDa2ZICMAEclOC.png

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!?

I find it annoying how they reduced Chaos from being a physical god to just being a mutant Chao. It completely sucks the fantasy element out of his character if you ask me.

I'm just wondering when the officially mentioned this? Cause I don't remember it. Last I recall he was the God of Destruction that also acted as a Chao guardian. Tho I guess it would kinda make sense.

I'm just wondering when the officially mentioned this? Cause I don't remember it. Last I recall he was the God of Destruction that also acted as a Chao guardian. Tho I guess it would kinda make sense.

Chaos' species as a mutant Chao is mentioned on his Sonic Channel profile.

I like the idea since it actually makes the concept of Chao important to the mythos of the series (or, at least, the Adventures). It even explains why a "god of chaos" would bother guarding adorable little creatures.

EDIT: Plus, I don't see how it takes away the fantasy element. Yes, Chaos used to be a Chao, but due to the emeralds he became, as you said, a physical god that can become pretty much invincible. This, plus the unlimited power of Cheese, proves that Chao aren't to be screwed with if you know what's good for ya'.

Edited by elementofchaos

I find it annoying how they reduced Chaos from being a physical god to just being a mutant Chao.

They didn't "reduce" anything, it just wasn't clear to the player at first.

It completely sucks the fantasy element out of his character if you ask me.

Nothing at all fantastic about a fairy creature becoming a water elemental that grows stronger with the power of magic gems.

And it makes far more sense for him to be a god that can be chased off by a few blows to the head.

They didn't "reduce" anything, it just wasn't clear to the player at first.

Nothing at all fantastic about a fairy creature becoming a water elemental that grows stronger with the power of magic gems.

And it makes far more sense for him to be a god that can be chased off by a few blows to the head.

Damn it Dio, would you kindly stop refuting every one of my opinions? It isn't funny anymore!

Edited by ElectroKyurem

Damn it Dio, would you kindly stop refuting every one of my opinions? It isn't funny anymore!

You can't stop someone from responding. That's the entire point of a forum man.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't stop someone from responding. That's the entire point of a forum man.

But he does this every single time I make a point. It's really getting old, and I want him to stop!

I'm not targeting you specifically, you just happen to say a lot of things I think are silly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not targeting you specifically, you just happen to say a lot of things I think are silly.

It's funny. I think exactly the same thing about many of the things you say! And what's so silly about not liking the direction they took Chaos? I can accept the idea that Chaos was a precursor to the Chao, or that he wasn't always made of liquid Chaos Energy. But having him be an ordinary Chao that just happened to get transformed by the Master Emerald seems kind of weird to me. Plus, the word "mutation" makes it sound like the Master Emerald is a nuclear device or something.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

And what's so silly about not liking the direction they took Chaos?

It's less about you not liking the direction they took, and more about railing against it as not being "fantastic" enough, which is...silly.

I can accept the idea that Chaos was the first Chao, or that he wasn't always omnipotent. But having him be an ordinary Chao that just happened to find the Master Emerald seems kind of weird.

...they lived at the shrine. I mean, no one knows exactly how it came about, but the chao lived at the Master Emerald shrine. It probably wasn't just one chao stumbling across it in the middle of nowhere.

Plus, the word "mutation" makes it sound like the Master Emerald is a nuclear device or something.

Calling it a mutation is perhaps not the best way to describe it but it gets the point across.