Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

Whatever. The way I view it probably isn't all that different from the canon explanation anyway.

So, if that's true about Chaos being a "mutated" Chao, does that mean Eggman could potentially try to make one of his own?

He'd have to get the Master Emerald to do that. I guess that would give him a new and interesting reason to steal said Emerald rather than simply wanting to use it to power a giant mech (although he'd do that, too, obviously).

Heck why couldn't he kidnap tons if Chao and make a while army of them? As far as we can tell Chaos is indestructible and immortal in his "0" form, an army full of those would pose a serious threat to sonic and co

He'd have to get the Master Emerald to do that.

Not too difficult given Knuckles never guards the thing anymore. :P

I'm seeing a huge can of worms being opened up by the idea of Chaos as a mutant Chao. I'm inclined to think the Sonic game world just has its fair share of gods and demigods, no different from Archie, and Chaos is one of them. I'd rather put him up there with the two Gaias and Solaris; beings that have existed since probably the beginning of time (and whose godhood is still questionable given Solaris was wiped out by a pair of mortals).

Given Chaos' power being dependent on the emeralds, however, I think he's a synthetic demigod. He seems built to tap into the energies of the emeralds themselves; Shadow is similar but his chaos powers are secondary to how he is supposed to be the cure for death. I think whatever created Chaos isn't something easily repeated; for all we know he was created by the same folks who built the Gaia Temples. Eggman would have difficulty creating another Chaos, I think, for the simple reason he wants to use the emeralds for mechanical purposes; contrast to how other characters use them biologically and borderline-magically.

Heck why couldn't he kidnap tons if Chao and make a while army of them? As far as we can tell Chaos is indestructible and immortal in his "0" form, an army full of those would pose a serious threat to sonic and co

We know he owns at least two Chao gardens, so he might be attempting to do just that!

I'm seeing a huge can of worms being opened up by the idea of Chaos as a mutant Chao. I'm inclined to think the Sonic game world just has its fair share of gods and demigods, no different from Archie, and Chaos is one of them. I'd rather put him up there with the two Gaias and Solaris; beings that have existed since probably the beginning of time (and whose godhood is still questionable given Solaris was wiped out by a pair of mortals).

Given Chaos' power being dependent on the emeralds, however, I think he's a synthetic demigod. He seems built to tap into the energies of the emeralds themselves; Shadow is similar but his chaos powers are secondary to how he is supposed to be the cure for death. I think whatever created Chaos isn't something easily repeated; for all we know he was created by the same folks who built the Gaia Temples. Eggman would have difficulty creating another Chaos, I think, for the simple reason he wants to use the emeralds for mechanical purposes; contrast to how other characters use them biologically and borderline-magically.

I'm pretty sure the Solaris you fight in NextGen wasn't the actual sun god, but just an artificial version of it. However, since its original form was a sacred flame, it might have been connected to the real Solaris in some way.

Your thought that Chaos might have been created by the early Gaians is intriguing, and might make a bit of sense. The dark half of Gaia looks a tiny bit like Perfect Chaos (at least it does to me), while the Werehog's strength, elasticity, and general shape remind me of Chaos 0. Maybe the Master Emerald's shrine was actually a Gaia Temple, and Chaos was created to protect it (kind of like the guardians in Chun-Nan, Holoska, and Shamar).

I'm pretty sure the Solaris you fight in NextGen wasn't the actual sun god, but just an artificial version of it. However, since its original form was a sacred flame, it might have been connected to the real Solaris in some way.

It was the real deal: Solaris is the sacred flame, used in the Solaris Project by the Duke and everyone else that was involved in order to try to control time through Solaris' power. Mephiles is practical proof of it, since his time travelling abilities are equivilant to the power of two Chaos Emeralds creating a Chaos Control time portal, if not more powerful.

The only kind of artificial Solaris is the machine that Eggman makes and manages to send Sonic, Tails and Knuckles into the future with, using only one Chaos Emerald... which is never dwelved into, nor does he try to use it again during the course of the story.

It was the real deal: Solaris is the sacred flame, used in the Solaris Project by the Duke and everyone else that was involved in order to try to control time through Solaris' power. Mephiles is practical proof of it, since his time travelling abilities are equivilant to the power of two Chaos Emeralds creating a Chaos Control time portal, if not more powerful.

The only kind of artificial Solaris is the machine that Eggman makes and manages to send Sonic, Tails and Knuckles into the future with, using only one Chaos Emerald... which is never dwelved into, nor does he try to use it again during the course of the story.

But in that case, why is Solaris still being worshipped after the reset? If he doesn't exist in the new timeline, there shouldn't be a sun festival! Unless you're saying that the sacred flame was a physical manifestation or something...

But that reminds me of something I've been wondering: was Solaris always evil and crazy, or was it caused by the Duke's time travel experiments?

It was probably just a symbol of Soleanna and not so much representing Solaris after the reset. Nothing else.

And it was the Duke's experiments that made Solaris get all pissy and want to destroy everything. Before it was just a harmless little flame. The Duke wanted to play God and use it's time-traveling capabilities just to see his dead wife and that kind of thinking can get one into trouble with a god like Solaris.

Edited by DarkLight

Yeah, it was either they just... worshipped the symbol of what Solaris represented (I really can't make that make sense), or it's the same reason the entire story is disjointed and broken: the Sonic Team writers just don't care. There's absolutely no proper way to go about this kind of thing.

Well Solaris would have existed in the world until the point where it was put out, so they still would have worshipped the flame to begin with, they probably kept doing it because it is a symbol of Soleanna and because well it was an established festival by that point, imagine then stopping Easter or Christmas forever randomly

So, if that's true about Chaos being a "mutated" Chao, does that mean Eggman could potentially try to make one of his own?

He could certainly try, but I would doubt it's an entirely physical and repeatable process. Plus it'd suck for the major antagonist of a game to be turned into an army of mooks.

Maybe the Master Emerald's shrine was actually a Gaia Temple, and Chaos was created to protect it (kind of like the guardians in Chun-Nan, Holoska, and Shamar).

Why would there be an extra Gaia Shrine? And why does it look nothing like the other Gaia Shrines?

But in that case, why is Solaris still being worshipped after the reset? If he doesn't exist in the new timeline, there shouldn't be a sun festival!

It's perfectly possible to worship something that doesn't actually exist.

Well since he's a god (and thus immortal), I doubt putting out his flame would have destroyed him entirely. In all likelyhood, he still exists in a spiritual capacity post-reset. I think we can all agree however that his physical form is dead.

Chaos and Gaia are both immortal, aren't they? It stands to reason that Solaris would be as well. But it doesn't matter anyway, since he doesn't have a body anymore!

"God" is a broad term that can apply to many different kinds of things, some of which may be immortal and some of which may not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gods don't have to be immortal the sane as regular creatures can be immortal

Solaris was blown out, ceased to be a flame, which was him. Chao are immortal they "die" but are reborn unless someone was particularly mean to them. I can't see how Solaris could survive its not like he transcended to a higher plane of existence, he was literally blown out

Gods don't have to be immortal the sane as regular creatures can be immortal

Solaris was blown out, ceased to be a flame, which was him. Chao are immortal they "die" but are reborn unless someone was particularly mean to them. I can't see how Solaris could survive its not like he transcended to a higher plane of existence, he was literally blown out

And suddenly the conclusion of NextGen becomes a lot darker, now I know Sonic essentially killed Soleanna's deity in cold blood! Some hero you were, Sonic!

And suddenly the conclusion of NextGen becomes a lot darker, now I know Sonic essentially killed Soleanna's deity in cold blood! Some hero you were, Sonic!

Yeah, Sonic's quite an asshole for succeeding in disposing the deity that tried to destroy existence altogether.

Yeah, Sonic's quite an asshole for succeeding in disposing the deity that tried to destroy existence altogether.

But he killed it when it hadn't done anything yet! He could have stopped the Duke from experimenting with it, which would in turn have stopped it from becoming crazy, but no, deicide is so much easier! I'm not saying you have to agree with me, but you should at least see why this makes me uncomfortable.

Erasing something from existence =/= killing something. You're acting as if the flame had any sentience or blood to be spilt.

Is it really worth keeping one little flame around and let many people die from it's eventual fate of destroying nearly all of existence?

Sonic wasn't even the one who erased Solaris from existence anyway so where's this talk that he's some killer when we all should know that Sonic would never wants to resort to killing unless it's a means to an end or if something isn't sentient (like the Biolizard)?

I think you're just overreacting as usual when someone refutes your claims.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if he could have stopped the duke, it looks like they were in the past yes but t wouldn't surprise me if they were there "in spirit" sorta thing so they can affect the world but not the people in it. Besides if the duke saw a talking blue hedgehog and someone claiming to be his daughter he's either get then arrested or think he was working too hard

Wait, Solaris was nonsentient? I didn't realize this. The whole time, I was thinking he was an actual god who took the shape of a flame, rather than an inanimate object that people built a religion around. It actually makes sense now. Thanks!

It's debateable about how sentient Solaris was. Considering that Mephiles and Iblis both have consciences and were able to develop their own forms as time went on (despite Mephiles copying Shadow's form, he was still able to develop his own crystalline body). Mephiles even talks almost immeadiately after Solaris splits apart when Shadow catches up to him, and becomes smart enough to plan out a relatively long (yet convulted) plan to have Iblis released. Iblis also leaves quite a large degree of it's spawn around Aquatic Base in it's trail (they're the only enemies in the stage, right?), so it must have had some sense of a conscience to create them; whether it did it willingly or while it was... scared and confused of being it's own thing without it's 'thinking' half, I guess?

At the very least, Solaris becomes sentient when Mephiles and Iblis merge, seeing as it takes in Mephiles' intelligence and attacks all of time. Didn't exactly do that when it was complete before.