Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

But in that case, why is Solaris still being worshipped after the reset? If he doesn't exist in the new timeline, there shouldn't be a sun festival! Unless you're saying that the sacred flame was a physical manifestation or something...

But that reminds me of something I've been wondering: was Solaris always evil and crazy, or was it caused by the Duke's time travel experiments?

Given that Solaris never tried to destroy time before, I'm inclined to think the Duke's actions. It's much like the Time Eater, really; it's a supernatural entity that humans taint for evil and comes close to ripping the fabric of time and space apart. I wouldn't be surprised if, had Eggman won, the Time Eater's effects went awry and destroyed everything anyway.

Also think about it in cosmological terms. Gods are supposed to exist apart from humankind; that is why they are gods. When they experimented on Solaris, they brought him into the human world; he was no longer free from the negative traits that mortals struggle with. He thus became quasi-mortal and had the same knowledge of good and evil as humans do. Unfortunately this prompted him to go Skynet and decide all life needed to be destroyed.

As for being worshipped: well that's easy. I think the religious belief came first, and Solaris was a demigod that fit into the scheme of things. In real history, religious creeds often shifted, with some deities added, some removed, others gaining and losing importance, etc. So it's possible a generic Sun God was worshipped as in real history, Solaris was discovered at some point, and the city's religion shifted to worship that flame. If said flame is removed, it's merely a generic sun cult that never came across a physical demigod.

At the very least, Solaris becomes sentient when Mephiles and Iblis merge, seeing as it takes in Mephiles' intelligence and attacks all of time. Didn't exactly do that when it was complete before.

I personally found it weird Mephiles' voice didn't taunt you at any point, given that he was just Solaris' mind in its own body.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

In Season 3 of Sonic X, you'll remember that around the end, Rouge would use a locket to black mail Bokkun to do her dirty work.

Who was in the Locket?

It was Cream who was in the locket. Bokkun has a crush on her.

I'm really confused with the first knuckles cutscene in SA2. Does it take place on Angel Island? You'd think it would, but Knuckles has no problem shattering the master emerald with the risk of Angel Island falling to the ground. Did Sega just decide to retcon Angel Island for one game, or am I missing something here?

I think Rouge took it off the island and Knuckles pursued her. If you look at the Level Select screen, you can see that Wild Canyon (where the cutscene is set) is part of the mainland.

I think Rouge took it off the island and Knuckles pursued her. If you look at the Level Select screen, you can see that Wild Canyon (where the cutscene is set) is part of the mainland.

Ok, so the scene doesn't take place on Angel Island. But why isn't there any mention of the island falling from the sky at all?

Ok, so the scene doesn't take place on Angel Island. But why isn't there any mention of the island falling from the sky at all?

The plot writer must've forgot about Angel Island's back story.

Also, in the texture file for Sonic's first cutscene, why is Shadow's Air Skates texture in the file? None of his other textures are there but the shoes. The only other things there are Sonic's textures, the Helicopter's textures, and Sonic's old shoes texture(the version he wears in the DC version of the cutscene with the red soles).

It wasn't part of the story, so why mention it?

It wasn't part of the story, so why mention it?

Because it's important to Knuckles' character? That's all I've got. Why bother shoehorning him into the plot and have him worry about restoring the master emerald, which powers Angel Island, when it's not even mentioned?

Because it's important to Knuckles' character? That's all I've got. Why bother shoehorning him into the plot and have him worry about restoring the master emerald, which powers Angel Island, when it's not even mentioned?

What exactly the emerald does most of the time isn't really important to anything in SA2; what's important is that Knuckles has sworn to protect it, and how it's used in the Last Story. Long-time players already know the deal, and new players don't need to know about it to understand the game.

Adding to what Dio said, why mention Angel Island if knuckles isn't going to go back at the end and make it rise, it would be useless fluff and go nowhere.

Why bother shoehorning Angel Island into the plot when the Master Emerald has a more important use in this game? And as for why Knuckles would want it back, remember that he pretty much owns the Master Emerald! If someone came along and stole your stuff, wouldn't you try to get it back?

It was Cream who was in the locket. Bokkun has a crush on her.

Yeah..when I figured that out I thought it was an awkward choice of shipping.

Here's another question: How do the Ifrit and the Iblis differ?

Simple: one's the raw power of a sun god of time and doesn't exist anymore, and the other's some destroyer what lives in another dimension.

Yeah..when I figured that out I thought it was an awkward choice of shipping.

Here's another question: How do the Ifrit and the Iblis differ?

In addition to what Spin Attaxx said, Iblis is a fire monster of interchangeable form (sometimes vaguely humanoid, others a mere fireball), while the Ifrit is either a mechanical spirit (Secret Rings) or a fiery, flying Lapras from a hellish dimension (Rivals 2). 

Does anyone else find it a little weird that Eggman calls Earth "SONIC'S world" in Colors?

That seems very ominous and a little...call-forward-y.

That was rather odd. Hmm, maybe he sees the world as a prize he's taking from Sonic, since everybody seems to love Sonic after all? It would fit in with Eggman's plan to mind control the Earth and make everyone love him, after all.

Edited by elementofchaos

That was rather odd. Hmm, maybe he sees the world as a prize he's taking from Sonic, since everybody seems to love Sonic after all? It would fit in with Eggman's plan to mind control the Earth and make everyone love him, after all.

Still, to refer to (what we're lead to believe is) his own planet as if it's not...?  It just seems out of place to me.

Realistically, it was probably to keep the "IT'S CALLED MOBIUS!!!!!!!!" fans from gettin' mad. Which is dumb, but not really their fault, I guess.

I was just thinking of it from an in-universe perspective, and even then it's just a really weird line.

Realistically, it was probably to keep the "IT'S CALLED MOBIUS!!!!!!!!" fans from gettin' mad. Which is dumb, but not really their fault, I guess.

I was just thinking of it from an in-universe perspective, and even then it's just a really weird line.

I'm pretty sure they've called it Earth before, right...?

Well either way, yeah, it's just a strange line and I doubt we'll see anything come of it.

Why bother shoehorning Angel Island into the plot when the Master Emerald has a more important use in this game? And as for why Knuckles would want it back, remember that he pretty much owns the Master Emerald! If someone came along and stole your stuff, wouldn't you try to get it back?

Of course he'd try to get it back! Angel Island falling should be the whole reason he tries to get it back! I just think Angel Island could have been mentioned so we would know why getting the master emerald back was so important.

Indeed.

Maria: "Shadow. What do you think it's like on Earth?" - SA2

Chip: "A part of the Earth you tread" - Sonic Unleashed

Rouge: "Do you think that the professor created him to get revenge on all those who lived there on Earth?" - SA2

Rouge: "The Space Colony ARK is currently approaching the Earth at an incredible velocity" - SA2

Eggman: "He's called Sonic and said to be the fastest creature on Earth" - Sonic Riders

Tails: "The island was cast into the depths of the Earth" - Sonic Riders

In addition to what Spin Attaxx said, Iblis is a fire monster of interchangeable form (sometimes vaguely humanoid, others a mere fireball), while the Ifrit is either a mechanical spirit (Secret Rings) or a fiery, flying Lapras from a hellish dimension (Rivals 2). 

Yeah, it's from Rivals 2.

Well either way, yeah, it's just a strange line and I doubt we'll see anything come of it.

They only really call it Mobius in the shows (AOSTH, SatAM) and the comics. but I'm pretty sure it's Earth in Sonic Unleashed, except for the fact that all the places Sonic goes has a different name: i.e., Holoska-Alaska/Antarctica, Chun-nan-China/Japan

Oh Sega, you and your inconsistencies.

That or, their love of alien backstories...

Omyfuck Robotnik's an alien