Awoo.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance : Let 'Er Rip!

Carbo

Metal Gear fans are raging, and frankly, I don't have the slightest idea why. Apparently it's "too over-the-top", but... relative to what? It's a spin-off, people. Complaining about this game not having enough stealth is like complaining about Mario Kart not having enough platforming. It doesn't bear the Metal Gear Solid name, and as such, has the right to be whatever the hell it wants to be.

The way I see it, if this were to be related to a Sonic game: Imagine Sonic 4 was actually a great game in its own right, but was still completely different game from the classics. Now imagine its name was changed to Sonic Runleashed (or something stupid like that), and it wasn't expected to be "classic" at all. Would that be so bad?

Alot of Metal Gear Solid fans were complaining about this game. They said it was too much action and not enough stealth, and some people even said that the new trailer alone is turning them away from the Metal Gear franchise all together. But this game and that trailer blew me away! I was literally like this the entire time watching it ----> 0_o I'm definitely picking this game up

With all of you guys who've seen it, have any of you saved it? I wanna see too!

Guys remember the concept of Rising still stands even if it has been rebooted. this game was never ment to be a stealth game to begin with that was Solid Snake's thing and it died with Old Snake. This game was ment to be more of a shorter, more action-type MG game with optional stealth elements.

I'm pretty sure it was made to be a stealth game based off a different type of stealth.

The traditional MGS games used "waiting" stealth where you would avoid enemies by stopping and waiting before attempting to bypass surveillance, only engaging in combat at the player's discretion. Rising is suppose to use "hunting" stealth where instead of avoiding enemies, you're targeting them by hiding in the vicinity and waiting for a perfect moment to attack; akin to a predator hunting it's prey.

That's what I heard from one of the developers. Either way, I haven't seen the leak to know the extra details going on.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

With all of you guys who've seen it, have any of you saved it? I wanna see too!

I'm pretty sure it was made to be a stealth game based off a different type of stealth.

The traditional MGS games used "waiting" stealth where you would avoid enemies by stopping and waiting before attempting to bypass surveillance, only engaging in combat at the player's discretion. Rising is suppose to use "hunting" stealth where instead of avoiding enemies, you're targeting them by hiding in the vicinity and waiting for a perfect moment to attack; akin to a predator hunting it's prey.

That's what I heard from one of the developers. Either way, I haven't seen the leak to know the extra details going on.

Here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-exclusive-revengeance/724548

>Developed by Platinum Games

ohmygosh2.gif

If there's any game developer out there that I'd buy a game just because it has their name on it, it's Platinum Games. Every last one of their games has either been flat-out amazing, or damn near perfection and I expect no less from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. The name "Platinum Games" is like the divine stamp of greatness to me, and I already know for a fact that I'm going to be absolutely in love with this game. I haven't even played a Metal Gear game in my entire life, but holy goddamn shit I want this game so bad.

Oh, and a note to the people saying that it "isn't Kojima quality", I agree. It's far better.

Say what you will, MGS fans, but I'd trust Platinum over Kojima in a heartbeat. I really like Twin Snakes, but I've yet to beat it, nor do I really have much of a drive to play it. I've had MGS4 for well over a year now (got it for free because one of my dad's coworkers didn't want it), and the last thing I did was fight Laughing Octopus/Beauty (the first real boss of the game, IIRC). Haven't touched it since. I got Peacewalker, but I decided to take a short break when I got to the first boss so I could try Persona 3 Portable out for the first time. Haven't touched it since.

Viewtiful Joe, on the other hand, I've beaten countless times, along with its sequel. I can't wait for this.

Um...wow. Definitely not what I was expecting. I take back what I said regarding the stealth.

Yeah, I can definitely see why MGS fans are mad. I haven't seen any kind of stealth in it at all, and now I'm very mixed at the premise.

Then again, a flashy trailer like this is just too awesome to be too disappointed at. There's just ONE thing I'm dreading after seeing Platinum Game's involvement: QTEs, and even that's not something that would mess up my experience looking at the trailer.

But Metal Gear Solid is about stealth and "Tactical Espionage Action". This is Metal Gear Rising. You know, "Lightning Bolt Action"?

Oh, and a note to the people saying that it "isn't Kojima quality", I agree. It's far better.

Flashy trailers and action like that does not a better game make. I know Platinum has made some excellent games, and I doubt their quality would fall here, but to say it's better than "Kojima quality" is a little more arrogant than necessary.

Say what you will, MGS fans, but I'd trust Platinum over Kojima in a heartbeat. I really like Twin Snakes, but I've yet to beat it, nor do I really have much of a drive to play it. I've had MGS4 for well over a year now (got it for free because one of my dad's coworkers didn't want it), and the last thing I did was fight Laughing Octopus/Beauty (the first real boss of the game, IIRC). Haven't touched it since. I got Peacewalker, but I decided to take a short break when I got to the first boss so I could try Persona 3 Portable out for the first time. Haven't touched it since.

It honestly sounds like stealth games like MGS aren't exactly your cup of tea. I've beaten those games several times over and I still find them fun to date, but hearing you've never finished the games isn't convincing me that you like them as much as you say.

And that's just Metal Gear. Ever play another Kojima game called Zone of Enders?

But Metal Gear Solid is about stealth and "Tactical Espionage Action". This is Metal Gear Rising. You know, "Lightning Bolt Action"?

That was before they took "Solid" out of Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

I was expecting that "Lighting Bolt Action" to be the "Hunting" stealth the developers were talking about. Stalking your target while staying out of sight instead of avoiding them before you proceeded to kill them in the way earlier trailers showed along with this one.

I expected stealth to play as much of a heavy role as the hack'n'slash, which is what really got me interested in the first place. A fusion of DMC/Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid, now I'm just seeing the DMC/Bayonetta more.

Who gives a shit if it's too over the top? Raiden threw a Metal Gear. A FUCKING METAL GEAR. HE THREW IT.

That's nothing. He blocked an ARSENAL GEAR sized ship from killing Snake in 4; and before that he took on 20 of those Metal Gears before he turned into a Cyborg Ninja. This ain't too surprising...but still awesome to see.

EDIT: This just in. I got the reasoning why they went with the more action instead of the stealth, and they're justification was that they couldn't combine Action and Stealth into a complete game as they intended with their original project of Rising. That explains the reason why they went for more action, and the reason they called in Platinum to assist development.

So as disappointing as it is for MGS fans, it makes sense when you understand the whole reason behind it.

Flashy trailers and action like that does not a better game make. I know Platinum has made some excellent games, and I doubt their quality would fall here, but to say it's better than "Kojima quality" is a little more arrogant than necessary.

Eh. It's just the opposite end of a statement I read. Some people think it isn't "Kojima quality", I don't think Kojima is even at "Platinum quality" anymore. Metal Gear is fun when I'm playing it, not when I'm staring at my TV in confusion for upwards of an hour because Kojima refuses to make it easy for people to get into the series. Looking at you, MGS4. Sneaking around a hidden base on an island with a cool name is fun. Crawling incredibly slowly across vast expanses of land isn't. Looking at you, MGS4. Also, trying to make me sympathize with the person who was just trying her damnedest to brutally murder me is alright, but doing it four times gets boring fast. Looking at you, MGS4.

It honestly sounds like stealth games like MGS aren't exactly your cup of tea. I've beaten those games several times over and I still find them fun to date, but hearing you've never finished the games isn't convincing me that you like them as much as you say.

I'll admit, I prefer charging in and slicing everything to bits any day, but I'll stand my ground and say I really did enjoy Twin Snakes. It's only problem was that it just didn't hold my interest for long enough. Last thing I did was kill that guy with the raven.

And that's just Metal Gear. Ever play another Kojima game called Zone of Enders?

I played the demo, and it felt awesome. Haven't been able to get my hands on the full game though.

That was before they took "Solid" out of Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

I was expecting that "Lighting Bolt Action" to be the "Hunting" stealth the developers were talking about. Stalking your target while staying out of sight instead of avoiding them before you proceeded to kill them in the way earlier trailers showed along with this one.

I expected stealth to play as much of a heavy role as the hack'n'slash, which is what really got me interested in the first place. A fusion of DMC/Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid, now I'm just seeing the DMC/Bayonetta more.

Understandable. I still think writing it off for being "too over the top" is extremely rash though. Give it a chance. If this was MGS5 I'd totally understand. Hell, I'd agree. But it isn't. This is MGR.

I suck at stealth games. I do not have the patience for them and I am just generally really really bad at them anyway. So I've never actually disliked Metal Gear, in fact I think the characters are rather cool and I've watched cutscenes (and of course Metal Gear Awesome helped me kinda become interested in MGS as a whole). So then seeing that this game was more of an action game upon its initial reveal was like "okay sweet, this is going to be something I can play".

AND NOW THEY HAVE PLATINUM GAMES BRINGING SOME GRADE A ACTION!? NOW I AM 100% SOLD.

Platinum games are my favourite developers and they seem to be making this game into everything that I would love to play in a game. I am going to get this day one, I can already tell. Platinum Games can do no wrong in my heart.

Eh. It's just the opposite end of a statement I read. Some people think it isn't "Kojima quality", I don't think Kojima is even at "Platinum quality" anymore. Metal Gear is fun when I'm playing it, not when I'm staring at my TV in confusion for upwards of an hour because Kojima refuses to make it easy for people to get into the series. Looking at you, MGS4. Sneaking around a hidden base on an island with a cool name is fun. Crawling incredibly slowly across vast expanses of land isn't. Looking at you, MGS4.

That's probably why many prefer MGS3 over 4.

Also, trying to make me sympathize with the person who was just trying her damnedest to brutally murder me is alright, but doing it four times gets boring fast. Looking at you, MGS4.

It also doesn't help that you did it after you killed her that you hear her story. But I think that has more to do with presentation than anything since MGS 4 was too convoluted for its own good.

I'll admit, I prefer charging in and slicing everything to bits any day, but I'll stand my ground and say I really did enjoy Twin Snakes. It's only problem was that it just didn't hold my interest for long enough. Last thing I did was kill that guy with the raven.

Vulcan Raven?

I played the demo, and it felt awesome. Haven't been able to get my hands on the full game though.

You'll be in luck when the HD collection comes out next year.

Understandable. I still think writing it off for being "too over the top" is extremely rash though. Give it a chance. If this was MGS5 I'd totally understand. Hell, I'd agree. But it isn't. This is MGR.

Who was writing it off for being "too over the top" because it definitely wasn't me. I was willing to give DmC a chance when everyone raged against it's announcement before NinjaTheory started giving out more details that made DmC nothing relating to it's other titles, so I wouldn't be someone you know as too rash.

Still, being MGR is not a justification for why it's being different when even the pissed off MGS fans knew right from the start it was going to be different in it's gameplay and wasn't too fussy about it. People expected stealth even with it being more action oriented, but the change understandably pissed them off when they see the action being focused far more than the stealth.

The actual justification would be the one I made in my previous post above linking to the interview with Yuji Korekado where it made sense for why they couldn't develop it in the way people expected. It's hard to get pissed when you hear it from the people behind the game tell you the problems that went on.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's probably why many prefer MGS3 over 4.

And why I'm really looking forward to playing it, when I get the chance. :D

Vulcan Raven?

Yes. I was in a small room and had to sneak around him to get a few shots in.

Who was writing it off for being "too over the top" because it definitely wasn't me. I was willing to give DmC a chance when everyone raged against it's announcement before NinjaTheory started giving out more details that made DmC nothing relating to it's other titles, so I wouldn't be someone you know as too rash.

Oh, it was just a few people over on Gametrailers. I don't have an account there, so I just wanted to bring up the topic over here.

Still, being MGR is not a justification for why it's being different when even the pissed off MGS fans knew right from the start it was going to be different in it's gameplay and wasn't too fussy about it. People expected stealth even with it being more action oriented, but the change understandably pissed them off when they see the action being focused far more than the stealth.

The actual justification would be the one I made in my previous post above linking to the interview with Yuji Korekado where it made sense for why they couldn't develop it in the way people expected. It's hard to get pissed when you hear it from the people behind the game tell you the problems that went on.

It all depends on how you view its place in the series, then.

is a very different game from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhv_FP9irNo. Sure, they're both Shin Megami Tensei games, but they're part of two different subseries. Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Rising are the same for me, making the difference perfectly justified by the name alone.

Yes. I was in a small room and had to sneak around him to get a few shots in.

never played a MGS game (always intended to) but this spinoff looks kick-ass

slicing people into bits, tossing mechs with one hand, fuck yeah, Sign me up.

The game looks great and I fully trust Platinum to make a fantastic game. Revengeance is the stupidest name I've ever heard. I'm pretty sure a sitcom used the exact word as a joke once, but I can't remember which. Why would they use such a stupid name?laugh.png

Edited by Christmas MaRCELLOF

So from that report posted earlier,

• Game play is 100% being made by Platinum Games. KojiPro are only handling the story and cutscenes.
  • The game is a complete reboot from the initial demos we saw during E3 2010. The director of that project did not have a clear vision for the original project and the team spent 10 months for an interquel script between MGS2 and MGS4, working the motion cap and cutscenes at a time when the only mechanic they had was the slow-paced cutting gimmick, nothing more.
  • The game was slated to be cancelled before they asked Platinum to take it over.
  • The new script was written when Platinum asked for a complete rewriting of the script. This script took them two months to make and it's now set after MGS4. The original script didn't carry Platinum's action-oriented game play and they were adamant on having the most important thing about this game be the game play itself.
  • Said to be made more with western audiences in mind and all the press and promotional material will be mainly in English.
  • The game isn't going to be rated Cero-Z in Japan cause all the enemies are cyborgs and that isn't blood that's being spilled.
  • Kamiya is NOT directing the game. For reasons they can't seem to reveal who is behind this game.

If the game isn't weighed down by hours of senseless cutscenes I may be interested. A game which is a game and not a wannabe spy thriller movie would be lovely.

Shin Megami Tensei was a turn based RPG for a long time. Devil Summoner's excuse is that it's a spin-off that still follows the SMT mythos, and the same applies to this. It's a completely different game that gives us a canon story in the Metal Gear franchise.

This was always billed to be an action game from the start, and this is the first time we ever see the game in action. The footage seems rather pre-beta.

The difference so far between this game and Bayonetta + Vanquish is that everything is going to be based around one singular ability. I'd like to give Platinum the benefit of doubt and assume that there's going to be a good deal of finesse in the structure and that there'll be the possibility to dispatch people through numerous ways, including stealthy approaches, even though most of the focus will be on the fast-paced action.

It's the first actual deviation from the series' archetype, knowing KojiPro they'd have to hit that point home with its reveal trailer, obviously in the most cheesiest way possible.