Awoo.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance : Let 'Er Rip!

Carbo

I respectfully disagree. I think due to how opaque the battle system is a lot of people are going to write this game as being shallow, hard to control, or confusing just because it doesn't explain how to play. there is a lot more in this game then it's lets on, and even then that video lets on.

Sure you can physically play it and beat it knowing jack shit, but this is a demo that is much more satisfying when you know it's mechanics. 

Considering how many people are riding the game, I think they're gonna be in the minority calling this game "shallow". Hard to control and confusing? Maybe when they hit either the gekkos or bladewolf, because before they even reach them they're just gonna be hacking away at the enemies by that point. And blade mode makes short work of them if they're just hacking around. Even when they hit Bladewolf the game will instruct them how they can parry during the fight directly on the screen, so aside from timing, they can't say the game isn't telling them how to play.

And besides, when the full game comes out, I'm pretty sure it would come with a move list, don't you think?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

And besides, when the full game comes out, I'm pretty sure it would come with a move list, don't you think?

But of course! But in lieu of that I have a handy video. 

But of course! But in lieu of that I have a handy video. 

But that video doesn't show them how to parry. And none of those moves will mean anything when you have players getting their ass kicked by either the gekkos or bladewolf for not knowing it, because if the gekkos don't kill them for not learning it, Bladewolf will make short work of them for it.

It's a good thing the game has text on the screen for 80% of the demo telling you how to parry ;D

The combos is something not elaborated on within the game itself, A lot like how you can use the slash buttons instead of the stick in blade mode, so I thought I'd help people out by posting it near the top of the page.

It's a good thing the game has text on the screen for 80% of the demo telling you how to parry ;D

Yes, now there's the matter of them actually using and timing it so that it becomes the thing they use at the right moment. Because considering the comments above, they still got their asses kicked during the demo at the boss for not using it and some had trouble timing it.

There's knowledge, and then there's applying it.

The combos is something not elaborated on within the game itself, A lot like using the slash buttons instead of the stick in blade mode, so I thought I'd help people out by posting it near the top of the page 

Eh, I felt I could hit the square a lot easier using the slash buttons than the stick in blade mode. Stomtimes I miss by an inch with the stick, and never get to refill my electrolyte bar.

I honestly think the parry system is freaking great. It just requires skill to use to its fullest extent. Kinda reminds me of the parry in DmC since in that one you can also parry bosses which in turn reveals a certain weakness or nice time to wreck the hell outta them. I made that prototype douche my bitch.

Edited by Urban Flow

Game has that Platinum Games challenge but, I've gotten the hang of it, it seems. I actually find the most annoying enemies to be those pussy cyborgs that stand back and shoot at you (didn't know about Ninja Run to close the distance quickly at first).

I saw the parry controls notification on-screen throughout the demo, but I didn't know you had to push the left stick towards the attack and time pressing the X button before it hits you until someone told me here. 

I saw the parry controls notification on-screen throughout the demo, but I didn't know you had to push the left stick towards the attack and time pressing the X button before it hits you until someone told me here. 

I know the feel. At first (360 version) I thought is said LB not Left stick. I mean I still kicked blade wolf's ass my first go.....after dying about 3 times. But still. The prompt about parry is to small. And it's not something the casual player will see if he/she is using an SD tv. Heck I barely saw it on my 40 inch plasma.

I had a ton of fun with demo, even though I got my ass kicked in my first play through. The first thing I had to learn was to not play it like it was Bayonetta or DMC. There isn't as much emphasis combo creativity as there is on killing enemies quickly and effectively to . It took me a bit to get used to the parry mechanic in this game because of that. The timing is very different from Royal Guard or MoMK blocking as you have to execute the parry a good half a second before the attack connects but not in the last few frames. It feels a lot like the blocking in KH1/2 , half a second of start up but nearly a whole second of active frames.

I really wish the tutorial actually explained this stuff considering how important it is to the core gameplay, my first playthrough felt like Bayonetta without knowing about dodging and witch time. I also don't understand why there was no dodge/evasion move yet there was no action assigned to circle as far as I could tell. I'm guessing that there's a dodge move that you buy/unlock in the full game at some point as it's an odd design choice to omit dodging in an action game like this.

I love this demo. Everything about this game just hits all the right buttons the instant you learn the ropes. Parrying is awesome, but I hope the parry time is lower on harder difficulties. It just feels so fantastic, the general feel of the game play, the movement, the graphics, the freedom, the music and the style. The best part of everything is how it doesn't feel like any action game before it. It's quite a marvel to behold, and with expandable combat options and arcade style set up I can tell this is going to have loads and loads of replayability.

I can't wait to get my hands on the full game. This is going to be a game for the ages.

• Thumbs Up 8

This demo is really fun. Graphically this game looks gorgeous. The music is a blast. The AR viewing system reminds of the detective mode in the Batman games. Raiden's movement is really natural. Tossing a gecko around using the cable which it attached to Raiden is so cool.

It's good that Raiden can use other weapons as well as his Hide Frequency Blade.

Edited by Nightwing

I don't think Raiden should have an evade button, I think the fact he feels confident enough to block overwhelming attacks shows how strong he really is as a character, speaking of strength...

I really like the contrast from MGS4 and this, I remember shitting myself with those Gekko walking around as Solid Snake, really intimidating bastards, but in this game they're nothing, Raiden takes them out like fodder, it's brilliant.

Well he did hold back a massive submarine in MGS4, so I wouldn't find it off for him to be able to take gekko's head on.

afbr6c.gif

It's like every time I've figured out the coolest way to do something, someone comes out and does it better. The release date is so close, yet so far.

I wonder if Platinum ever thought of players doing that?

So... I was torn between which set to get, but decided to opt for the Japanese premium set and order the standard Raiden play arts figure separately, he may not have White Armour, but I think I much prefer his darker colour scheme since we got a sorta white Raiden in MGS4.

Besides the Soundtrack is probably the most appealing bonus worth getting with the game.

Just played the demo and I have to say it was awesome, from the comboing to the controls to just pretty much everything, heck even the difficulty is way harder than most made it out to be from the trailer and the parry system is great, also Raiden has some sort of evade cause I think I activated it by accident a couple of times after doing the ninja run slash attack but it might just be an extra dash, also I like stealth killing on here better too because its fast and if you mess up you don't have to hid but you can just stay and fight.

The music at the very end sounds exactally like the Terminator theme.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

My favorite is when you slice a guy right down the middle, and the two halves stumble around a bit before falling over