Awoo.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance : Let 'Er Rip!

Carbo

Aside from all of that, why can't I block? I saw that you were able to block in the trailers, yet I can not figure that out yet. That alone would have saved me a death.

You move the analog stick towards the attack and hit square, it's a bit tough to figure out but once you got it it's like riding a bike, I've found.

You move the analog stick towards the attack and hit square, it's a bit tough to figure out but once you got it it's like riding a bike, I've found.

Thank you so much.

*LAND A 400+ HIT COMBO ON AN ENEMY. PAUSES GAME THEN........*

fineindignation.gif

Edited by Eternal Xtreme

Wasn't sure who it was that asked about doing the lock-on in this game (think it was Discoid) but

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46764055&postcount=481

Q. How about Lock-on?

A. RB/R2 Will lock on to your opponent. Your currently targeted or nearest enemy always has a white target symbol on them. Hitting this button will make it turn orange and force the camera to keep them on screen regardless of how you move around the stage. To change targets, de-lock by hitting the button, move to a new enemy till they have the white marker, and hit the button again. It's particularly useful against the Gekkos and Bladewolf, in fact, Bladewolf starts the battle locked on, and you only lose it when he brings in more enemies.

• Thumbs Up 4

Since everyone here seems to be having so much more fun than me, I must be doing something wrong. I was pretty hyped for this, but I'm trying out the Xbox 360 demo now and I'm having a miserable time. Controls are clunky and I keep getting my ass handed to me by bigger enemies and that BladeWolf thing. If there is a block/evade option, then I can't find it. Does one exist? 

Since everyone here seems to be having so much more fun than me, I must be doing something wrong. I was pretty hyped for this, but I'm trying out the Xbox 360 demo now and I'm having a miserable time. Controls are clunky and I keep getting my ass handed to me by bigger enemies and that BladeWolf thing. If there is a block/evade option, then I can't find it. Does one exist? 

Yes, one does. 

You move the analog stick towards the attack and hit X/Square, it's a bit tough to figure out but once you got it it's like riding a bike, I've found.

Like that. 

Anyway, really awesome demo so far. I'm getting my ass handed to me, but awesome nonetheless. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

The move is question is called a "parry" It's not really a static block, but more a timed counter attack that staggers your enemy, but you don't get recoil from it, so you can swiftly move into a melee combo, as for dealing with Gekko parrying their stab kicks staggers them greatly for you to slice them up from the front, they'll probably start bleeding which also gives you a few seconds to slash them up, inflict enough damage to them and you can finish them off with a scripted blade mode finisher, and if you slice them directly down the middle you'll get fuel cells to replenish any damage.

LOVE the demo so far, replaying it and finding nifty little things all the time, I really like that they kept the series stealth approach to the game where you can literally go through the entire stage without triggering an alert, also giving Raiden super strong stealth take downs that can even dispose of a Gekko without a fight is really something.

Basically if you don't get a hang of parrying in this game, you aren't going to have a fun time, since it makes the game ten times better than that much cooler to successfully block an incoming attack like a Gekko stomping you, or Blade Wolf's pounce it's so satisfying to see him ping off you like a piece of scrap metal.

Thanks, Chaos Warp. I'm getting the hang of it now and so I'm lasting a bit longer with BladeWolf, but still getting my ass handed to me no matter how hard I try. It's such a fast paced battle that you don't really have much freedom to predict an attack and parry it. Is Raiden meant to have a limited amount of moves in this demo/the game, or are there more than just your basic X and Y combos to beat enemies down with before slicing and dicing?

Thanks, Chaos Warp. I'm getting the hang of it now and so I'm lasting a bit longer with BladeWolf, but still getting my ass handed to me no matter how hard I try. It's such a fast paced battle that you don't really have much freedom to predict an attack and parry it. Is Raiden meant to have a limited amount of moves in this demo/the game, or are there more than just your basic X and Y combos to beat enemies down with before slicing and dicing?

Raiden has a lot of moves and abilities in the demo, but said demo does a really poor job of explaining everything.

If you're having trouble parrying, watch for the enemies to flash orange, this usually signifies an attack

Just beat the whole demo now. It was definitely satisfying finally beating that damn BladeWolf after going through the whole demo not really understanding what I was supposed to be doing. I think if the tutorial was better, I'd have had a better experience. I've got a day off work tomorrow, so I might play through it again with my new knowledge in mind. So far, though, I did enjoy myself more once I knew what does what and improved my parrying skills. Outside of that, I like the dialogue, graphics and music. Platinum Games continue to impress in all of those departments.

Raiden has a lot of moves and abilities in the demo, but said demo does a really poor job of explaining everything.

If you're having trouble parrying, watch for the enemies to flash orange, this usually signifies an attack

I agree. I went on tutorial so I could learn everything and know what I was doing, but beyond blade mode, it didn't explain a damn thing, which is why I was struggling so much. It's not good when you're really hyped to try a game you're looking forward to and then have a terrible time thanks to a lack of instructions. 

Tzj37u8.gif

Looks fantastic, runs fantastic, plays fantastic. Got an A on the first battle then a bunch of Cs lol. Ended the demo with a B on the boss.

Will be replaying tomorrow to practice. Really looking forward to getting the hang out of parrying and becoming good at the combat system, tho will need to check some guides because people are right when they say the tutorial is incomplete. I also need to check if I can invert sticks for zandatsu, I keep trying to move the camera with the right stick.

Getting this and P4G next month after all these shitty finals HNNGG

• Thumbs Up 5

I've had the demo since the ZoE collection and I still can't get the hang of the parry attack.  It hasn't posed much of an issue for me, but I can't for the life of me dodge LQ84i's chainsaw tackle.

That was posted AGES ago dude.

I think he was re-posting it to help people struggling with the controls and combos.

Oh, nevermind then.

But really, the only thing you really need to know as far as the demo is concerned is how to parry lest Bladewolf kicks your ass for ignoring it. Aside from that, it's really fun to just experiment. Gekkos go down pretty easy even in normal mode even if you don't parry, and basic mooks just go down in one swipe of blade mode if you hit them in vital areas. So it's not that much of a hassle to figure out other moves.

Speaking of which...

I've had the demo since the ZoE collection and I still can't get the hang of the parry attack.  It hasn't posed much of an issue for me, but I can't for the life of me dodge LQ84i's chainsaw tackle.

Either stay your distance away from him or you need to parry it. And parrying is the wisest option, because the only way you're gonna win that fight is if you get the hang of parrying it, because Bladewolf was made for the purpose of kicking your ass for ignoring it...unless you beat him without it in which case I'd say you were being patient as hell between his attacks.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I had trouble with this, then read something on SA's forums that helped me out a lot. I personally was always trying to stay away from Cyber Pooch fearing that attack, but after taking the advice to stay close and parry around the time he lunges at you, I didn't get hit at all when fighting him just now. It's just a wonky timing thing I guess.

Awesome demo. Got frustrated with trying to figure out parry. For one thing I couldn't clearly see what button the on-screen prompt was telling me to use on my SD screen. Then once I figured it out it was trying to use it reliably against Wolf's attacks. Another thing that got frustrating was trying to fight 2 Geckos while locked onto one. I would be pummeling one but then get kicked in the back of the head by the other one standing behind me. It would only come on screen the moment its foot was swinging in, impossible to react in time with a parry. It felt lock-on was more a hinderance here whereas if I wasn't using it I would have had better visual on the playing field and could switch my attention to multiple enemies more easily. Otherwise it was extremely fun. Looking forward to improving my skills and of course the full game.

So, how acrtually sword slicing works? It generates cut pieces in realtime, or enemy models have pre-modelled "parts"?

A combination of both. I think the pieces for inanimate objects are generated, whereas the enemy models split into a ludicrous amount of pre made animations. I remember reading that originally all the slicing was generated. btu in reality it looked pretty bad so they started pre baking the animations, I definitely agree. 

Oh, nevermind then.

But really, the only thing you really need to know as far as the demo is concerned is how to parry lest Bladewolf kicks your ass for ignoring it. Aside from that, it's really fun to just experiment. Gekkos go down pretty easy even in normal mode even if you don't parry, and basic mooks just go down in one swipe of blade mode if you hit them in vital areas. So it's not that much of a hassle to figure out other moves.

Speaking of which...

Either stay your distance away from him or you need to parry it. And parrying is the wisest option, because the only way you're gonna win that fight is if you get the hang of parrying it, because Bladewolf was made for the purpose of kicking your ass for ignoring it...unless you beat him without it in which case I'd say you were being patient as hell between his attacks.

I respectfully disagree. I think due to how opaque the battle system is a lot of people are going to write this game as being shallow, hard to control, or confusing just because it doesn't explain how to play. there is a lot more in this game then it's lets on, and even then that video lets on.

Sure you can physically play it and beat it knowing jack shit, but this is a demo that is much more satisfying when you know it's mechanics.