Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

The Genesis games have aged better than the Adventure ones.

With that said...

I still like the Modern era post-'06 better. My only gripe with Sonic Colors is how much it depends on the Wisps. I wish the game was beatable without Wisps. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wisps, but I wish they were more for exploring than essential gameplay.

If I just want to blaze through the levels, the Wisps break a lot of the pacing.

Edit: An addendum - I HATE the ejecting sequences in Starlight Carnival Act I.

It's like: LAND, then SHOVED UP, WAIT, then LAND, then SHOVED UP, WAIT, then LAND, then SHOVED UP, WAIT, then LAND, PROCEED.

Really????

They are worse than the BOUNCING BARRELS in Carnival Night Act II... Oh my God! I HATE CARNIVALS NOW! Thanks SEGA!

Edited by tenchibr

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I would agree that after the initial surprise the launchers from Starlight Carnival do slow down the level some, I still think they are better than the barrel in a sense because they are fairly self-explanatory, whereas the barrel confused a LOT of people when they could have included instructions in the non-Japanese manuals and maybe even in-game somehow.

While I would agree that after the initial surprise the launchers from Starlight Carnival do slow down the level some, I still think they are better than the barrel in a sense because they are fairly self-explanatory, whereas the barrel confused a LOT of people when they could have included instructions in the non-Japanese manuals and maybe even in-game somehow.

Yes, but it's like riding a bike: once you learn it, you can't unlearn it.

Starlight Carnival's launchers will always be there, always wasting the same amount of seconds away. The beauty of the barrels is once you learn how to control them, you spend no more than 10 seconds total on them.

Yes, but it's like riding a bike: once you learn it, you can't unlearn it.

Starlight Carnival's launchers will always be there, always wasting the same amount of seconds away. The beauty of the barrels is once you learn how to control them, you spend no more than 10 seconds total on them.

You know if you go on the second one first, you'll be launched right to the checkpoint,

But the launchers don't prevent a person from actually playing the level, the barrel did because a lot of people were confused about it and perhaps never played past Carnival Night until years later, if at all, if they didn't have some way to find out. I'll take something that slows the game down compared to something that stops it dead any day.

Unpopular opinion: I think the story book games are actually pretty cool, I really like the gameplay in them, story and atmosphere too. The only thing that really brings down secret rings for me is the controls and black knight could do from having better sword swinging mechanics but besides that they are pretty solid games.

Popular opinion: Sonic 3 is my favorite of the classic games (though my overall favorite 2d one is between rush and advance 3).

Unpopular opinion: I think the story book games are actually pretty cool, I really like the gameplay in them, story and atmosphere too. The only thing that really brings down secret rings for me is the controls and black knight could do from having better sword swinging mechanics but besides that they are pretty solid games.

This is basically my opinion of them. I actually wonder what they would be like if they controlled more like Colours. Black Knight with Skyward Sword controls would be pretty crazy to see.

If the unresponsive and dysfunctional controls of Black Knight were fixed, if only a little, it might not actually be my least favorite Sonic game.  Because it's pretty solid in every other aspect.

Edited by Akito

I not sure if this is unpopular, but I think my favorite renditions of most of the Generations(Both HD and 3D) stages are the credits ones. They all may be less than a minute and thirty seconds long but they are really enjoyable to listen to.

Been listening to all the Chronicles music being posted in the unintentional humour thread and....I actually kinda like it.

I know a lot of it sounds a bit of a jumbled but I still like it. I don't think any of it is  actually unlistenable.

Been listening to all the Chronicles music being posted in the unintentional humour thread and....I actually kinda like it.

I know a lot of it sounds a bit of a jumbled but I still like it. I don't think any of it is  actually unlistenable.

In many cases, the problem with Chronicles' soundtrack was the lack of effort put into it. I know I would love to hear remastered versions of Green Hill and the Zoah Colony.

I think the only that aren't battle themes I can say that for are Green Hill which isn't Green Hill, Blue Ridge (I think that's what it's called), and that one Volcano Valley remix. The rest? No, thank you.

In many cases, the problem with Chronicles' soundtrack was the lack of effort put into it. I know I would love to hear remastered versions of Green Hill and the Zoah Colony.

I HATE Sonic Chronicles... There's only one Sonic game I hate more than Chronicles, and that is Labyrinth.

Unpopular opinions thread eh? Let's see what I got...

I actually really liked the stories we got from Sonic Adventure right up until about Sonic 2006. That was the first time I ever felt the story was too much. Everything else, from Tikal and Chaos, To Shadow, the Ark, and the Black Arms, I kind of enjoyed, and I'm sad to see that it's probably gone for good outside of some nostalgic throwbacks like Generations. The only thing I ever cringed at, were some terrible voice acting, and one liners, mostly from Tails and all of Team Rose. It'd be nice to see what a game with an Adventure style story, but colors animation and voice acting could be like.

Sonic Advance 1 is probably one of the best 2D Sonics I've ever played. I really wish it got more recognition. It may have had a story pretty much identical to Sonic 1, but it certainly is more of a Sonic 4 than the actual Sonic 4. It even added a new playable character, as per the tradition at the time, and I actually thought Amy was a blast to play as.

Sonic Generations 3DS was actually very good. The best handheld Sonic I've played since Advance 1.( Keep in mind I skipped colors DS, and all PSP games. ) Both modern and classic Sonic control like a dream, and classic Sonic feels like a perfect replica of classic physics, unlike lead ball PS3 classic Sonic. The only real gripes I have are with the first three classic levels being perfect copies of their genesis counterparts, and with the "still pictures with dialogue" story telling.

This is probably one of the most unpopular opinions you'll ever see here on the Sonic Stadium.

I know this game gets a lot of shit here, but Sonic Advance 3 is tied with Advance 1 as my favorite of the Sonic Advance trilogy. I don't like Advance 2, because it focuses far too much on speed. Now, it can be a thrill ride at times, but I find going incredibly fast annoying when you get interrupted by a bottomless pit. Advance 3 remedies this by providing the perfect mix of platforming, exploration, and speed. The partner system adds some great repaly value, as each character plays differently depending on who you're paired with. Boss battles are enjoyable, mainly because you can tackle them differently depending on your character combo. Same goes for the levels. True, crushing blocks are found frequently in them, and can be quite dickish, I began to enjoy them once I memorized the enemy and trap placement. The soundtrack is also enjoyable. I can't decide if I like it more than Advance 2's, but some of the themes are really catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WjaD9Z-ado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbp8Bf5P7s

I can't get enough of Twinkle Snow act 2's music, and Sunset Hill is one of my favorite Green Hill remixes.

But anyway, come at me. I find Advance 3 to be a damn awesome game.

Advance's level design and dickish bosses ruin it for me.

TWINKLE SNOOOOOOOOOOOW

-Sonic Labyrinth is not a bad game. It is definitely different and it can be frustratingly slow sometimes, but it's not a platform action game like most other Sonics. It's a maze game, and as a maze game, it's decent. Not great, but decent.

-The Sonic Riders games are all fun. Even the Kinect one.

-Sonic Spinball and Sonic Pinball Party need follow ups. More pinball games, please.

-The Werehog levels are better than the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed. They have actual platforming, enemies, light puzzle elements, and exploration. The day levels are mostly just run->QTE->repeat.

-Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure for Neo Geo Pocket Color is the best handheld platformer in the series and it isn't even close.

-Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic and the Secret Rings are awesome games.

-Sonic Blast is a good game.

-Tails' Adventure and Tails' Skypatrol are both worthy entries in the series.

-Knuckles' Chaotix is every bit as good as its Genesis brethren (Sonic 1-3&K, CD)

-The Dreamcast versions of the Sonic Adventure titles are better than DX and Battle on Gamecube.

-Sonic '06 is the only truly bad game in the series (not counting crappy ports of good games like Sonic Genesis or edutainment games). There were some colossal disappointments (hello, Sonic 4) but I can enjoy myself playing any Sonic game on any system except Sonic '06.

Edited by famicommander
  • Thumbs Up 2

- I find elements of Sonic 06 (music, level design in Kingdom Valley and Crisis City) to be honestly enjoyable

- I like Zero Gravity much better than the original Sonic Riders

- ...and I honestly liked the Werehog in the ps3 version of Unleashed more than its day stages (due to better combat system over the Wii version and the higher focus on platforming

The only thing I didn't like about Zero Gravity compared to the first was the fact that I couldn't boost attack at will anymore and the fact that the Babylon Rogues turned out to be decendants of carpet riding genies from space.

that the Babylon Rogues turned out to be decendants of carpet riding genies from space.

Yeah I think pretty much everyone hates Ass Pulls like that these days. Shadow clearly wasn't enough so we they had to do it to MORE characters. How hard is it to keep one's plot entirely terrestrial? ...apparently very.

The only thing I didn't like about Zero Gravity compared to the first was the fact that I couldn't boost attack at will anymore and the fact that the Babylon Rogues turned out to be decendants of carpet riding genies from space.

Which is somehow worse or more confusing than them being descendants of carpet riding genies... how? Especially since the only one to every mention they're genies is Jet? All that's mentioned of the Babylonians was that they're incredibly advanced and invented flight methods, to the point they once gave flight to a boy and he nearly ruled the world. How does this somehow not fit with an ancient aliens angle, or how does that angle suddenly make it absurd? Oh, ancient genies is acceptable, but suddenly stargate is stupid and mind boggling.

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of what honestly feels like a case of bandwagon hate. It's not even that ancient astronauts is a brilliant move, who cares, it's the attitude that somehow saying an old civilization is aliens instead of taking the subjective sentence by a character that they're genies is one of the worst retcons ever, when it's not even a retcon in the first place.

Which is somehow worse or more confusing than them being descendants of carpet riding genies... how? Especially since the only one to every mention they're genies is Jet? All that's mentioned of the Babylonians was that they're incredibly advanced and invented flight methods, to the point they once gave flight to a boy and he nearly ruled the world. How does this somehow not fit with an ancient aliens angle, or how does that angle suddenly make it absurd? Oh, ancient genies is acceptable, but suddenly stargate is stupid and mind boggling.

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of what honestly feels like a case of bandwagon hate. It's not even that ancient astronauts is a brilliant move, who cares, it's the attitude that somehow saying an old civilization is aliens instead of taking the subjective sentence by a character that they're genies is one of the worst retcons ever, when it's not even a retcon in the first place.

I think I mentioned this before, but I always figured they were just spacefaring aliens who had one of their starships fall to Earth as a result of engine failure. The aliens had to pretend to be genies in order to avoid troubling the natives until they could get their ship repaired. However, due to the engine being so heavily damaged, they had to dismantle it and reshape the engine pieces into the Arks of the Cosmos to avoid a catastrophic event (the black hole thing), all the while leaving a message for their descendants to avoid reactivating the damaged starship. In the meantime, they interbred with the locals, most likely birds and due to their alien nature, resulted in the strangely wingless and no-talon footed Babylon Rogues. Of course, since the Babylon Rogues apparently left Babylon Garden for whatever reason, or the ones who stayed behind their apparently died off, the message wasn't seen until the time of the Riders series.

Thing is, they didn't even pretend to be genies or anything, did they? Modern-day viewers, looking at it, conclude they were genies, but that's on the stupidity of Jet, not of the setting.

Which is somehow worse or more confusing than them being descendants of carpet riding genies... how?

I think the main problem I have with it is biological. How do aliens fit as the ancestors of these Sonic-styled characters? Are the Rogues not actually the same "species" as the other Sonic characters? Are all Sonic-styled characters descended from aliens? Did aliens adopt a bunch of bird people and pass on everything to them?

Having the Babylonians be a superadvanced ancient civilization that appeared to have magic to less advanced tribes and so inspired legends of genies is fine, but making them also aliens raises some bothersome questions.

Remember how you have kree-human hybrids and time lord-human hybrids and just about anything-human hybrids throughout all of fiction? Same thing, they were aliens that were for some reason biologically compatible with "mobians" because why not, it's fiction, Son Goku had children with Chichi and so did the viltrumites. Are the Rogues Aliens? Well, is an American who had a great-great-grandfather who was half italian actually italian in terms of genetics?