Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Haha, man I thought I was the only one! They're an even bigger pain when you have tails as a partner, still need to finish CD though.

Also, Sonic advance's are definitely the hardest, to get to and to actually beat. Unless you use a guide, but even then, they're still pretty high up.

Using a guide helps you get to them, but actually beating them is all about memorization and knowing how to work around the spotty collision detection.

Such a shame too, because I feel like Sonic Advance 1 is the best Dimps Sonic aside from Sonic Pocket Adventure. If the special stages had been better it would really be a close to flawless game in my eyes. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And again, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only one to establish them as genies is Jet. Why are we taking what he says at face value?

Excusing the fact that I dont believe they are genies after the second game, the stereotypical genie attire of the final boss, the flying carpet, and the fact that Babylon is of Middle Eastern origin seems to point to the idea that Sonic Team wanted these guys to be or at least resemble genies. Why wouldn't you take it at face value considering all of the effort Sonic Team put into making this a fairly obvious conclusion on the surface?

Haha, man I thought I was the only one! They're an even bigger pain when you have tails as a partner, still need to finish CD though.

Also, Sonic advance's are definitely the hardest, to get to and to actually beat. Unless you use a guide, but even then, they're still pretty high up.

They may be hard to get to but atleast nothing will ever be as bad as collecting those rings in sonic advance 2 to get to the special stage.

I kinda thought that the Babylon Rogues' race being referred-to as Genies is a possible allusion to the real world arguments that believers of ancient astronauts propagate; The Babylon Rogue ancestors were technologically-advanced and were possibly heralded by other races back then as being divine and mistaken for magical entities such as Genies as a result. Possibly to the point that the race decided either to run with it or it blurred the truth of what their ancestor's actually were.

Anyway, I still stand by my opinion that the Arabian Nights and Grand Kingdom in the Storybook games exist as separate dimensions whose stories are mystically 'tied' to Sonic as evidenced by him being considered 'legendary' in the Arabian Nights and as the real King in the world of Camelot. I don't buy the notion of them being dreams or fantasies conjured by Sonic. They have too much basis in reality. If they're figments of Sonic's imagination then he's a damn good storyteller :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

I can already tell where things are going to go after this if anyone decides to care enough to respond to it but...

...Yeah, I consider the story to be a pretty big part of what helped and helps me enjoy the main stream Sonic titles so much.

Unpopular: I can completely understand why Sonic Team would overlook the Game Gear games, I don't find them memorable at all. They all seem like a giant conglomerate of 8-bit levels. The only reason Emerald Coast from Sonic Drift 2 sticks out to me is because of it's great music and it's unique track gimmick.

The Advance games I can understand a little bit, but less so.

Unpopular: I can completely understand why Sonic Team would overlook the Game Gear games, I don't find them memorable at all. They all seem like a giant conglomerate of 8-bit levels. The only reason Emerald Coast from Sonic Drift 2 sticks out to me is because of it's great music and it's unique track gimmick.

The Advance games I can understand a little bit, but less so.

Sonic 1 8-bit's Bridge Zone has one of the most memorable tracks from the Game Gear series.

...However, maybe that was due to Janet Jackson using the song for her own chart hit "Together Again". I swear, that's all I hear from that Zone track nowadays.

Sonic 1 8-bit's Bridge Zone has one of the most memorable tracks from the Game Gear series.   ...However, maybe that was due to Janet Jackson using the song for her own chart hit "Together Again". I swear, that's all I hear from that Zone track nowadays.
Funny, whenever I listen to Bridge Zone, I hear Believe in Myself, the theme of Tails, from Sonic Adventure.

I disagree with the notion that Sonic should only be on Nintendo consoles if that's an unpopular opinion.

I know the games supposedly sell better on Nintendo consoles, but goshdarnit, I love the series. I buy the games(new I might add) on the PS3, and I don't want to have to buy a system for 1 or 2 games.

If finances and cost are a problem, I'd happily settle for smaller downloadable titles.

Edited by Ass

The hell it is. I love Nintendo, but it isn't always the first console I get. I find it better for Sonic to be Multi-platform than exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Unpopular Opinion: I am truly bored with the current games. I had fun going through them the first time but I can't bring myself to go back to any of them for more than 10 minutes. Everything is just so...tame now, nothing about the games truly stands out. Colors has a pretty interesting gimmick but is confined to context sensitive areas and leaves little imagination in how they can be used, with the actual gameplay being a toned down Sonic Unleashed with generic blocky platforming. Generations does far better in keeping things interesting but its mostly a nostalgia trip. 

I feel no sense of progression going through these games, as in when I'm completing levels I don't feel like my actions are leading me to an interesting climax. No difficulty spike, no interesting plot progression, no nothing. Its like playing Pac Man at the arcade, but every level has the same difficulty.

The plot....yea, I kinda beat this horse to death so I'm just gonna say I'm bored with the cast being limited ti mainly Sonic, Tails, and Eggman and wish they would change it up a bit.

All of this is the main reason why I'm not particularly excited about Lost World. I mean yea, it looks fun but I get the feeling its going to continue the conventions of the last couple of games and play it ridiculously safe with the content of the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 8

Every special stage in every game is lame (or rather, not good).  I'd rather just be able to search for the Emeralds within the levels themselves (i.e. they're hidden deep within some hidden part of the level) or just be awarded them by doing something relevant to the core gameplay rather than having to go through a gimmick stage that's usually a bit of a pain in the ass to reach.  At the very least make special stages that feel like an extension or spiced up version of the game's core gameplay.

Honestly I say Colours did it the best in that regard.  The main problem was that there were simply too many and a good number of them were just kinda tedious to play.  

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Every special stage in every game is lame (or rather, not good).  I'd rather just be able to search for the Emeralds within the levels themselves (i.e. they're hidden deep within some hidden part of the level)

I'd rather have Special Stages than unnecessary scavenger hunts.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously think the spin-off game after Heroes should have been about the Chaotix trying to collect their money from Eggman.

At least the story would have been more entertaining than Shadow's.

• Thumbs Up 6

Right, so I made this confession already in my statuses a few days ago, but I might as well post it here too. Not unlike my last post about the Storybook series, this is less unpopular in general and more unpopular to this specific forum.

I... don't really like Unleashed all that much anymore.

When it first came out, I didn't mind it at all. I mean, it wasn't my favourite Sonic game - there were plenty others I preferred - but I had a blast with it, and I felt it was a definite improvement over the previous main console game, Sonic '06. Then when Colours and eventually Generations came out, while I always enjoyed those two games more in pretty much every single way, I could still say I legitimately liked Unleashed.

But recently... something's clicked. And even now, I'm still not entirely sure on the cause of my gradual change of thought.

I'm not sure whether it was a completely natural process, or whether this forum has actually done some sort of reverse psychology thing to me subconsciously, but I just can't bring myself to appreciate it as much as a lot of other folk do. The daytime stages are not bad by any means, but every time I sit down to play, I end up going "...I'd rather be playing Colours or Generations right now..." As for the nighttime stages, while I didn't mind how the Werehog worked, I thought it got tedious very quickly.

There's also the levels. Now don't get the wrong idea, they are beautiful. They're very pleasing to the eyes and I'm glad we got to see these pretties, but... they're a bit lacking in the overtly-whimsical department. Now to be fair, real world-inspired locations was the point of the game (it's Sonic's World Adventure after all), but even then, I could never get used to it. The only truly... shall we say "surreal" stage in Unleashed was Eggmanland, and while that was fantastic and was a testament to the doctor's character... More often than not, when the most colourful and wacky level in a game is the bad guy's lair, I think the priorities are a bit skewed, haha (for comparison purposes, compare Scrap Brain with Sonic 1's other zones, or Asteroid Coaster with Colours' other zones). All I'm saying is, make sure to mix it up. You can have your Rooftop Runs, you can have your Dragon Roads, just make sure to have your Quartz Quadrants and Music Plants too, that's all.

As for the story elements... I don't really care for those either. I mean, obviously I enjoy Professor Pickle and the Robotnik cutscenes (even though I would later go on to prefer Colours!Orbot and his butler ways), but otherwise... Sonic is probably close to his best in terms of characterisation here, but like I explained in my Storybook post, because I really don't like Sonic himself all that much, it's not something that exactly grabs my own personal investment. (So to recap, I'm not saying I want to jeopardise Sonic's character or anything, it's a great thing for those who love him, I just tend to be more interested and concerned towards the utilising of, well, characters that I do like).

And the Werehog... Now I'm not going to say that he "doesn't fit" the Sonic series or anything like that, because obviously you could say that for equally bizarre aspects of the Sonic universe, and it's a silly thing to say since the Sonic world is by it's very nature a variable one. That's why I enjoy it so much. No no, like Sonic as his usual self, the Werehog is just another aspect that I don't hold any strong feelings for other than him being a little irritating.

I'm also not a fan of Chip. Now before you ask, it has nothing to do with Tails. Yes, I did think Tails in that game was a bit tish, but I don't blame that to "Chip stealing his role" or "Chip taking the sidekick spotlight" or any excuse like that. That's a completely irrelevant problem that just happens to be in the same game. No, I simply don't like Chip in general. I find him very annoying as a character, which is saying something since Marine the Raccoon is one of my favourite characters. And when the "twist" came about at the end, while that was a fair enough plot point, it didn't make me think any differently of him. As such, since this game for the most part revolves around Sonic and Chip, TWO characters I dislike... yeah, you can sort of see why it's a bit unbearable for me.

As for the rest... well, Robotnik was a lot better here than in Heroes/ShtH/Sonic '06 of course, and he would become (in my opinion anyways) even better as the games passed... but as cool as seeing a genuine Eggmanland and the planet-busting cannon were, it all amounted to what was basically yet another giant monster story. And you know what? I don't even mind Dark Gaia all that much, I think he's probably one of the better ones alongside Chaos and (if he counts) the Time Eater. But nonetheless, after Sonic '06 with it's own giant monster(s) two years before, the very next game having another one was something that I got sick of really quickly, and it's also one of the reasons why - minimal as it was - I enjoyed the Intersteller Amusement Park scheme in Colours so much.

Now this might seem like a case of "because I like the later ones, the older one feels boring/odd" or some sort of reasoning, and I suppose that might be the case. But the thing is, that doesn't normally happen with me. I still enjoy Sonic 1 despite liking Sonic 2 and S3&K (and even CD) more. I still like Crash Bandicoot 1 despite liking 2 and 3 more. I still like Spyro 1 despite liking 2 and 3 more. I still like Mega Man 1 despite liking a lot of the others more... You get the idea. I just find it a bit weird.

So that's the general jist of it. Now it should be noted, I do still respect Unleashed for what it brought to the table, since we wouldn't have gotten the following two games (and possibly even Lost World) if this one didn't exist. I respect the game for beginning the climb back up to the jolly good times in Sonidom, and escaping from the '06 sandpool. But overall, as a game in itself, I just don't enjoy it that much anymore (to the point that I prefer Adventure 1), and not unlike the Storybook games, it's really hard for me to continue playing without losing motivation. Colours and Generations just fit me more, I guess.

I apologise for this opinion, since I know a lot of people here like the game, and I feel guilty for not seeing something everyone else does. But I've always had odd viewpoints, haha.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

I apologise for this opinion, since I know a lot of people here like the game, and I feel guilty for not seeing something everyone else does. But I've always had odd viewpoints, haha.

You don't have to apologize for having a different opinion than everyone else because if anybody gives you a problem about it then they're automatically wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

- The Sonic Advance series had some really cool and inventive bosses. Like Cyber Track's boss with it's cannon that shoots balls that you have to hit back at the mech and the robot Knuckles that changes it's attack pattern mid-boss fight.

- Sonic the Werehog is no more a bizarre concept or superfluous one than what the Wisps in Colours are and is handled, far, far better in every single area.

- Sonic SatAM isn't some kind of crowning achievement for the Sonic series and neither is Archie Sonic. The former is a great example of how good DiC can get with it's writers and animators whilst Archie Sonic....No, just no. I honestly wouldn't give two shits if SEGA revoked Archie's rights to use Sonic and therefore the comic ended. Mercy kill me thinks and a godsend to people who think that this comic has screwed with these characters for far too long.

- I think that very well thought-out, original and well-designed fan characters are such awesome and interesting things.

- For as annoying as Heroes could get regarding in-level speech, I still think that it had a really great quality to it. I don't know about you but hearing the characters communicate between each other and informing each other of dangers and suggesting to each other what they should do is pretty cool and endearing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Popular opinion: I think that colors has one pretty rockin soundtrack, aquarium park for the most part being one of my top favorites in the series and I think that the level design for the place in general was very good and is probably the best underwater gameplay the series has ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I think about it, there's another likely controversial opinion that I have: I don't care about the lyric themes quite as much as others do. More specifically, when used for the final boss.

That's not to say I don't enjoy most of them. I have my favourites as with any other person. What I mean is, I tend to still prefer the other tunes more, whether that be level themes, boss themes, or standard leitmotifs like Gamma/Tikal/Robotnik in SA1. But when they're used for the final bosses - regardless of whether I actually like the tune in itself or not - with the possible exception of Open Your Heart for Perfect Chaos, I can never get used to them, and I simply prefer the more traditional ditties.

I understand that a lot of them have the lyrics be all about what's happening and conveying the image of such, but... as snobby as this is probably going to sound... I much prefer it when the music itself is able to do that. I like the music to show the emotions and action, the intensity and stakes, the sadness and fear, and so on and so forth. I like What I'm Made Of, but I can't picture that as the theme for an giant dragon robot who was originally an evil copy. I'm not a fan of Live & Learn or His World (partly because I've heard them so many bloody times, haha), and despite possibly being the most "about the event" song yet, With Me is incredibly forgettable to me.

As for the whole "but they're centered around the main character in his badass super form" and whatnot, I still don't like how they work. In that regard, I prefer the more "darker remix" sort of routine, like with Endless Possibilities and Reach for the Stars in Unleashed and Colours respectively.

So I prefer the "dark remixes" used in recent games, or failing that, just the more typical final boss themes, whether that be Doomsday, Wrapped in Black, Solaris Phase 1, Deep Core, the Genesis 3D Blast's Final Fight, or even the Time Eater.

...Oh, and relating to Verte's last post, I have my own fancharacter. Yes, I know, I should be ashamed, and don't worry, I am.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Now that I think about it, there's another likely controversial opinion that I have: I don't care about the lyric themes quite as much as others do. More specifically, when used for the final boss.

That's not to say I don't enjoy most of them. I have my favourites as with any other person. What I mean is, I tend to still prefer the other tunes more, whether that be level themes, boss themes, or standard leitmotifs like Gamma/Tikal/Robotnik in SA1. But when they're used for the final bosses - regardless of whether I actually like the tune in itself or not - with the possible exception of Open Your Heart for Perfect Chaos, I can never get used to them, and I simply prefer the more traditional ditties.

I understand that a lot of them have the lyrics be all about what's happening and conveying the image of such, but... as snobby as this is probably going to sound... I much prefer it when the music itself is able to do that. I like the music to show the emotions and action, the intensity and stakes, the sadness and fear, and so on and so forth. I like What I'm Made Of, but I can't picture that as the theme for an giant dragon robot who was originally an evil copy. I'm not a fan of Live & Learn or His World (partly because I've heard them so many bloody times, haha), and despite possibly being the most "about the event" song yet, With Me is incredibly forgettable to me.

As for the whole "but they're centered around the main character in his badass super form" and whatnot, I still don't like how they work. In that regard, I prefer the more "darker remix" sort of routine, like with Endless Possibilities and Reach for the Stars in Unleashed and Colours respectively.

So I prefer the "dark remixes" used in recent games, or failing that, just the more typical final boss themes, whether that be Doomsday, Wrapped in Black, Solaris Phase 1, Deep Core, the Genesis 3D Blast's Final Fight, or even the Time Eater.

...Oh, and relating to Verte's last post, I have my own fancharacter. Yes, I know, I should be ashamed, and don't worry, I am.

I'm in a sort of similar boat, but not exactly...

I love the vocal themes, but I feel they should be left to the opening and closing credits.  As much as I love to sing along to a song, it can be distracting during an intense boss fight.  Though considering Sonic has a track record of underwhelming final bosses, that's not really too big of a problem.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They're fine for opening and closing themes, but I don't like them being used for boss fights.

I prefer the way SA2 did it, the only bit of Live & Learn you hear is the instrumental version and only a small portion of the lyrical version in the opening. So when it plays the full version in the final boss, its that much more poignant. But that's just me.

Eh, still don't care for it being used in a boss fight personally. Live & Learn just happens to be one of the ones I never liked anyways, as opposed to Open Your Heart and What I'm Made Of.

This whole discussion reminds me, who was the jerk who decided that "Seven Rings in Hand" should be used for menus? I like the song, but after playing the game for a while you get really sick of it.

• Thumbs Up 3