Awoo.

What is the all-time worst Sonic game?

Bright Eyes

I have to say Sonic Genesis.

I've seen videos of it and played it myself, and I learned that falling through platforms is not fun at all. Then there's all the other things that are wrong with it which I won't get into, due to there being so many problems in the first place.

and I admit that I actually like 06 and StH .....*Runs from topic*.

I remember back on IGN in 2008, virtually everyone was gushing about Chronicles whilst panning Unleashed. What?

Either way, it's pretty tish, but like ShtH, I still had some sort of misguided fun with it, and not unlike Battle, some of the characters were not too bad despite the other half being butchered (Robotnik being the top dog of course). (And I still liked the chaps of Nocturnous. Hell, Ix is alongside Erazor as one of the few Not-Robotnik Sonic villains I genuinely like. Made even more amusing when their comic inspiration - the Dark Legion and Finitevus or whatever the fuck his name is - I couldn't care less about.)

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I almost completely forgot about Sonic Jam (game.com version)

...oh yeah. I forgot it for a reason.

I will give the second worst Sonic game title to the Game Gear port of Sonic Spinball, tied with Sonic Labyrinth. I would consider Sonic Genesis, but that's just an unfortunate port (a very, very, very, very, very unfortunate port) but the other 2 games are made to stand alone. Sonic Spinball, even though it was a "port" of the Genesis spin-off, is hardly a port and more of a.... an attempt. A sad attempt.

"It just may be the worst version of anything ever." - Morgan Webb

Edited by Indigo Rush

With most of the 'bad' Sonic games I've played, I've been able to find something positive about them, if not outright enjoy them.

Sonic Spinball? Thought the music was really good and I liked the level designs.

Tails Skypatrol? The ring gimmick was actually pretty cool and I think the game might have actually been decent if it you didn't die after bumping into something one time. I can't get past the Training Course because of that stupid element

3D Blast? Again, good music.

The Game Gear Platformers? (Other than Sonic Blast which I've barely played or even seen anything of) While certainly not...great, I really don't think they are that bad. I managed to have a little bit of fun with them.

Sonic R? It's broken. Incredibly broken. The controls are slippery a lot of the time as well. But I would be lying through my teeth if I said I didn't have any fun with it at all. Guilty Pleasure Sonic Game #1

Sonic Heroes? Loved it when I first played it, still enjoy it to this day. Too monotonous? Yes. But I still like it.

Shadow the Hedgehog? Um...I've barely played this but I did enjoy my short stint with the multiplayer mode, so I guess that counts...unsure.png

Rivals? Eh...I kind of enjoyed it, though I didn't get to play all that much of it.

Sonic 06? This one might be considered cheating because I've never played it but that music...damn, that music is just so awesome. Especially Kingdom Valley. Damn I love Kingdom Valley's music.

Secret Rings? Gameplay sucked, but most of the other elements I enjoyed.

Chronicles? I freaking love this game. I can't pinpoint why I enjoy it, but I do. Heck, I didn't even have a single problem with the music, how about that? Guilty Pleasure Sonic Game #2

Unleashed? To me, this is the best damn game in the franchise, by far. I just does so many things right - gameplay, story, graphics, just the general atmosphere. In my perspective, this is the gem of the Sonic games.

Black Knight? One of my favorite games in the series. Guilty Pleasure Sonic Game #3

Sonic 4: Episode 1? The physics actually don't bother me all that much and I legitimately can say I enjoyed it.

Generations 3DS? Certainly not as good as the console version, but found some fun in it. Besides, it has a remix of Supporting Me. Freaking Supporting Me.

All the games I've listed above I've managed to find some semblance of quality, even 06 with its good music. But there is one Sonic game that has nothing positive going for it. At all. And here it is;

250px-Sonic_Labyrinth_Coverart.png

Sonic. Labyrinth.

This game does absolutely nothing right. First, the level design is, for lack of a better term, bland as hell. The stages are basically all made of floating checkerboards smashed together with a different color scheme and background that depends on the level.

SLabyrinthLoSky.png

SLabyrinthLoSea.png

SLabyrinthLoFactory.png

Wow, they changed the design of the squares, how nice...

Now, I'm fully aware the Game Gear wasn't as powerful as the Genesis so wanting stages in the vein of Sonic 3 is asking for too much. I mean, look at the Genesis' Sonic the Hedgehog's Green Hill Zone and compare it to the one we got on the Game Gear - the former is clearly superior. But this? It just screams of absolute laziness. I'm not saying they had to be completely different from one another, but couldn't they have at least tried to make them more distinctive?

The music.

I realize comparing this game with Sonic 06 isn't really fair (after all, Labyrinth didn't cause a bleeding rift in Sonic's reputation that he is STILL recovering from), but I'm making an exception for this issue. Because seriously, 06 still got the damn music right. Now, I'm actually not saying Labyrinth's music is 'horrible', but it is, like the stages, bland as all get out and completely forgettable.

And then there is the gameplay.

Oh.

My.

God.

The absolute nicest way I can describe the gameplay is complete and utter shit. I mean...Okay SEGA, I don't mind if you experiment a bit and try and see what Sonic would be like if he was slow (I mean, I loved the werehog gameplay in Unleashed for crying out loud) but does he have to be that slow? What, are all the levels submerged in invisible molasses or something? It's totally unbearable. And the Spin Dash is so damn hard to control - it's way too easy to overshoot and stopping is a bitch. Damn thing is as slippery as ice.

And why, oh why are the levels timed? The gameplay is horrible enough already! Why did the developers have to give us a time limit? And not only that, you have to collect stupid keys before you go through the goal gate or whatever the hell it's called. Seriously, never combine time limits with collecting, slow as molasses walking and an easy to over shoot Spin Dash again, developers. Ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree with Blaire and say that Sonic Labrynth is the worst game due to the poor level design and clunky controls, the gameplay was ridicoulously hard and also pretty boring.

Edited by Red Wisp

Okay so someone mentioned Sonic Chronicles. I got that as a Christmas present so I was like "K let's play!" and I didn't even finish it. I hated it. Never played Sky Patrol but I've been advised to never play it. And I'm gonna make a terrible move here and voice my opinion cause I feel like SAYIN SOMETHIN STUPID TODAY.

I actually liked 06'. Ya, everyone's like OH IT WAS TERRIBLE and shiz but IT WASN'T FINISHED. They were forced to release the game before it was even complete, they couldn't get the deadline extended or some shiz. Btw Sonic's model is TOTALLY a revamped SA1 model.

The soundtrack was AMAZING, and 06' set forth a lot of new things for the future Sonic games. Yes, I know, I know. How's that even possible? Well for instance the soundtrack, again, made the game worth playing to an extent. The same style has been used ever since for the boss battles (final boss), and OMG is it amazing.

The graphics. During that first cutscene for Sonic. GORGEOUS. ALL THAT WATER AND ASKJALSKDJFLDFKHGAFLDKFJ and stuff.

Load screens suck. Takes waaaay too long.

Sonic was too slow. I get that. Shadow was too slow. I get that too. But for Silver it made sense. Silver's were the most enjoyable to me; he was slow, but his powers made up for it. Who here hasn't wanted to hurt things with their mind?! Maybe just the thought crossed your mind. I dunno.

Also I was told, kind of unofficial info, but Sonic 06' originally when the game had started wasn't even Sonic the Hedgehog related. Dunno if that's true or not I been wanting to look it up cause it sounds interesting.

My vote for most terrible games goes for Sonic Chronicles. Cause it was dumb. 06' was terrible but I enjoyed it. They had good intensions. They really did. And I'm stickin to that. Don't hate, cause...

IT'S NO USE!!!!

biggrin.png

GameGear is high on my hate list too. I played my friend's and ERMAHGERSH wtf.

Edited by SonikkuXM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay so someone mentioned Sonic Chronicles. I got that as a Christmas present so I was like "K let's play!" and I didn't even finish it. I hated it. Never played Sky Patrol but I've been advised to never play it. And I'm gonna make a terrible move here and voice my opinion cause I feel like SAYIN SOMETHIN STUPID TODAY.

I actually liked 06'. Ya, everyone's like OH IT WAS TERRIBLE and shiz but IT WASN'T FINISHED. They were forced to release the game before it was even complete, they couldn't get the deadline extended or some shiz. Btw Sonic's model is TOTALLY a revamped SA1 model.

The soundtrack was AMAZING, and 06' set forth a lot of new things for the future Sonic games. Yes, I know, I know. How's that even possible? Well for instance the soundtrack, again, made the game worth playing to an extent. The same style has been used ever since for the boss battles (final boss), and OMG is it amazing.

The graphics. During that first cutscene for Sonic. GORGEOUS. ALL THAT WATER AND ASKJALSKDJFLDFKHGAFLDKFJ and stuff.

Load screens suck. Takes waaaay too long.

Sonic was too slow. I get that. Shadow was too slow. I get that too. But for Silver it made sense. Silver's were the most enjoyable to me; he was slow, but his powers made up for it. Who here hasn't wanted to hurt things with their mind?! Maybe just the thought crossed your mind. I dunno.

Also I was told, kind of unofficial info, but Sonic 06' originally when the game had started wasn't even Sonic the Hedgehog related. Dunno if that's true or not I been wanting to look it up cause it sounds interesting.

My vote for most terrible games goes for Sonic Chronicles. Cause it was dumb. 06' was terrible but I enjoyed it. They had good intensions. They really did. And I'm stickin to that. Don't hate, cause...

IT'S NO USE!!!!

biggrin.png

GameGear is high on my hate list too. I played my friend's and ERMAHGERSH wtf.

CUZ' CAPS LOCK AND MEMES GET YOUR POINT ACROSS VERY WELL!!!

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

My enthusiasm is hard to express WITHOUT CAPS LOCK. So when I do THIS it MEANS I'm FLIPPIN OUT. Nee.

My views on the games are similar to Blaire's. I mean, ya, even if they were pretty bad there's always something in it you can enjoy. Even if it's poking fun at voice actors or the weird facial expressions like how in Shadow the Hedgehog everyone's teeth moved all weird with their lips lol

Lawl that moment when you see Shadow in Generations and he says... "You've got this Sonic!" and everyone was like WTF. That's like the only time he doesn't sound right. All the other games are okay. I think. I dunno.

DAMN!

why so much condescendency? let the guy be happy, he is just expressing his opinion in a funny way...

THAT'S NO GOOD!

YES exactly lol

Edited by SonikkuXM

That's all very well and good, but of all things to excuse Sonic 06 with, it had "good intentions"? Almost all games have "good intentions", that doesn't stop them from being either good or bad.

By the way, using massive caps lock like that to "voice your opinion" will not work out well for you. Trust me on that one, it never ends well. It only makes you look... well, a little silly. Not that I'm one to talk. Thankfully you've only done it once, but if you were to do that a lot... well, don't be too surprised if you get ridiculed for it.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

CUZ' CAPS LOCK AND MEMES GET YOUR POINT ACROSS VERY WELL!!!

Don't be like that. His points actually made sense and he's one of the few 06 fans who didn't get on our ass for not liking it.

In my opinion any effort is better than no effort. At least they tried.

Ridicule me all you want to, I'm not here to troll anybody. .3.

Edited by SonikkuXM

Well yes, but comparing "some effort" to "no effort" isn't exactly something worth boasting about.

Don't be like that. Her points actually made sense and she's one of the few 06 fans who didn't get on our ass for not liking it.

Fixed.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

-facepalm- If there was no effort, then the game wouldn't have functioned at all. Kingdom Valley was nearly perfect for what it was worth, so they did something right. I like 06'. Some people don't. IT'S OKAY ERMAHGERSH.

I found Sky Patrol to be kind of addictive while the loading times in 06 is what really threw me off (it had a great sound track, beautiful stages, fairly good cut scenes)

I'm voting for SA2.. I honestly could not wait for the game to be over once I started. Cringe worthy cut scenes, long boring stages, lazy re-do's of the heroes theme songs and a very weird story which ended up in space after the discovery of a perfect condition space shuttle... in a pyramid... that the characters had no problems flying......................................................

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHAO?! D: The Chao are so cute!

Edited by SonikkuXM

I dunno, I always hated playing Kingdom Valley as Shadow. Why is it that a few shots to the base of a castle turret sticking out of water with that water vehicle thing makes said castle turret collapse? Why do they collapse without rhyme or reason right on top of you? That version of the level exhibits some of the most insane physics screws in the game.

Er, well, perhaps Shadow's wasn't so good. I remember nose diving into the water on the hover vehicle instead of jetting across it XD That made me so mad! I've never had a problem with Sonic's or Silver's.

To be honest, and keep in mind I think Sonic 06 is abysmal, I think Sonic 06 isn't quite as god-damn awful as people make out. It's virtually a broken and pitiful Sonic Adventure with horrendous loading times.

It's not quite smash the television screen like people make out.

My biggest complaint with Sonic 06 was the ending. What a terrible ending.

EDIT: I just saw some videos of it on youtube now. I forgot, it is television shatteringly bad!

Edited by Bright Eyes

I only liked Kingdom Valley as Sonic, and it's definitely one of my favourite levels in the game. It's bad as Shadow, but Silver's is one of the most tedious and drawn out levels in the entire game and the only "fun" part is the almost entirely automated sequence as Sonic.

We also don't literally mean "they did nothing" we mean lack of effort in terms of rushing it out. Regardless of why it was rushed out, it's still really poor form. 06 is the worst in terms of how the development process went, certainly.

Er, well, perhaps Shadow's wasn't so good. I remember nose diving into the water on the hover vehicle instead of jetting across it XD That made me so mad! I've never had a problem with Sonic's or Silver's.

If my memory is right (I haven't played '06 in an absolute age), the boost pads up the ramps don't work for the water vehicle and instead tend to flip it over.

I dunno, I always hated playing Kingdom Valley as Shadow. Why is it that a few shots to the base of a castle turret sticking out of water with that water vehicle thing makes said castle turret collapse? Why do they collapse without rhyme or reason right on top of you? That version of the level exhibits some of the most insane physics screws in the game.

I frickin' hated that level when I first played the game when I was 7, and I still do. Though, I will admit this. I think Sonic's Kingdom Valley is pretty decent.

To be honest, and keep in mind I think Sonic 06 is abysmal, I think Sonic 06 isn't quite as god-damn awful as people make out. It's virtually a broken and pitiful Sonic Adventure with horrendous loading times.

It's not quite smash the television screen like people make out.

My biggest complaint with Sonic 06 was the ending. What a terrible ending.

You think Amy would have killed Elise lol

But ya. SEGA figured the game wouldn't go over so well so they went back in time to stop it from ever happening LAWL

You think Amy would have killed Elise lol

But ya. SEGA figured the game wouldn't go over so well so they went back in time to stop it from ever happening LAWL

No I mean the fact the game never happened. While it's good for erasing the game it's a kick in the face after playing that stupid last level that is glitchy to fuck with the black holes.