Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

Oh, bullshit. Before Super Metroid, chronologically, there is only ONE time where Ridley's body is seen after Samus takes him out, and that's after she defeats her in the original Metroid/Zero Mission. In Prime 1, Meta Ridley is knocked off the platform by the Chozo statue lasers and isn't seen again until Prime 3, where Samus sends him straight to the bottom of a chasm, and then takes him out again as Omega Ridley, where he disappears after he's actually defeated.

In Super Metroid, his death isn't unambiguous - Samus kills him there and then, and his corpse is obliterated along with Zebes. There is NO ROOM for doubt. Even if you don't ignore the Prime games like Other M apparently does, Samus has only killed Ridley once for certain before Super Metroid. Ridley's fate in the Prime games is actually rather uncertain, and you guys are seriously overstating the number of times Samus has actually defeated him.

One way or another, the original Ridley kicked the bucket for good in Super Metroid, there was no way he could have possibly survived his fight with Samus or the destruction of Zebes, it would be impossible for the pirates to revive him like they did for the Prime games after that, and Samus had no idea that the Ridley in Other M was a clone. So, yes, it is a special case.

Visionary put it pretty much perfectly, but by this point would you seriously be scared to see the guy you have killed 100,000,000 times back from the dead again? This isn't some unique event for Samus, it's fucking Thursday. She should be throwing her arms up and saying "Seriously dude, don't you EVER stay dead?" in an irritated voice, not cowering as if this is the first time she's seen Ridley since he killed her parents.

Different note, I've been playing through the main series (Metroids 1-4) again for the first time in years. After playing them back to back, I have to say...I think I like Fusion more then Super Metroid. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME INTERNET!!!

And Metroid 2 has not aged well. At all. Ew.

i think the whole fact of her feeling it was her fault Ridley came to be once again was also a blow to her mentality, she had the chance to kill that little white furby thing, even paused to watch it and commented on it's scavenger like nature, if i was Samus i'd of blasted it into a fur pile for growling at me like that :l

• Thumbs Up 1

Arguing about Ridley at this point is kinda moot, considering he's pretty much dead as far as canon is concerned, but otherwise...

*baby metroid rant*

The only things I could consider logical is your part about the Hunters, but I honestly don't believe that's enough to make Samus so susceptible to her PTSD that she would be cowering in fear and helplessness against Ridley.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Just the mere explanation that Samus was suffering from PTSD could've easily salvaged that scene to some extent, as it matches the actual symptoms.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really need to finish Prime, but the Gamecube controls just piss me off. I really prefer using the Wii remote to aim.

Should have kept my Wii, I guess.

As much as I'd still assert that PTSD is the most logical explanation for Samus' behavior when she encounters Ridley in Other M, I gotta agree with Grumpy Old Guy, at the end of the day, it doesn't fix Other M's disastrous narrative. Sadly, unlike Mass Effect 3, which is almost entirely a fantastic game until the last ten minutes where it all hits the fan, Other M's entire narrative was a disaster.

Is there any other sources of Sakamoto's reaction to the negative reaction to the story?

• Thumbs Up 2

As much as I'd still assert that PTSD is the most logical explanation for Samus' behavior when she encounters Ridley in Other M, I gotta agree with Grumpy Old Guy, at the end of the day, it doesn't fix Other M's disastrous narrative. Sadly, unlike Mass Effect 3, which is almost entirely a fantastic game until the last ten minutes where it all hits the fan, Other M's entire narrative was a disaster.

Is there any other sources of Sakamoto's reaction to the negative reaction to the story?

All that we had was that interview I posted 2 pages back, other than that, Sakamoto has been quite.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

It was his "vision" of who Samus is. I don't think he took the mostly negative reception too well. I gotta wonder if Sakamoto hates the Prime series...

Guys, we've already established Other M's writing is shit, why are we still talking about it?

Because until Other M, Metroid was a nigh flawless series.

Because until Other M, Metroid was a nigh flawless series.

Well, I don't know about that, but the were (and still are) certainly awesome games.

Except Metroid NES, fuck that game.

One black spot on an otherwise good series isn't anything to bitch about. I think people give Other M a way worse rap, yea it's terrible but I doubt it spells the end of the series.

Except Metroid NES, fuck that game.

You mean the original? That's what Zero Mission is for.

• Thumbs Up 1

No one is saying it's the end of the series, we just enjoy critiquing the many many flaws the game has.

I'm not saying that's bad, but we've already talked about the Ridley scene to death.

Guys, we've already established Other M's writing is shit, why are we still talking about it?

I'm talking about it because I enjoy talking about this stuff, and if someone has a different opinion I want to hear it. If you'd rather talk about something else, why don't you do exactly that? C'mon, I'm sure you've got topics you want to talk about since you're here to tell us what we shouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

So since I guess we're all done with the Other M discussion (for now....) I wanna ask, where is the Metroid series going to go from this point. I mean that in a sense of gameplay and story.

Are they gonna do a 2D exploration game? A Prime game? Another Other M? A new gameplay style?

And while it's been a while since I beat Metroid Fusion, but because of Samus's actions in that game is she now an enemy of the Federation. And even if she's not, is she still going to trust them and their corrupt ways, or do something to stop it? I really wish I could find out what happened after Fusion, but still 10 YEARS later, we still don't have a Metroid V.

That brings another question, isn't after Fusion the only way they can go with the story now? I'm tired of all these damn prequels and midquels, I do not give a shit if Samus brushed her teeth in between Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, just tell me what happens after Fusion!

Probably another prime game. Nintendo doesn't like having their games criticized, so they'll probably play it safe.

Which I'm all for as long as I can use Wii controls for it.

You know, I'd like for a game focusing on Samus as a freelance bounty hunter more often, since Retro was denied the option of doing that in Prime 3. You don't give someone the name of bounty hunter for no reason, especially since the Japanese producers thought that would have been inappropriate for Samus to do in Prime 3.

So since I guess we're all done with the Other M discussion (for now....) I wanna ask, where is the Metroid series going to go from this point. I mean that in a sense of gameplay and story.

Are they gonna do a 2D exploration game? A Prime game? Another Other M? A new gameplay style?

And while it's been a while since I beat Metroid Fusion, but because of Samus's actions in that game is she now an enemy of the Federation. And even if she's not, is she still going to trust them and their corrupt ways, or do something to stop it? I really wish I could find out what happened after Fusion, but still 10 YEARS later, we still don't have a Metroid V.

That brings another question, isn't after Fusion the only way they can go with the story now? I'm tired of all these damn prequels and midquels, I do not give a shit if Samus brushed her teeth in between Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, just tell me what happens after Fusion!

Just what I was gonna post.

We have a rumor that was posted a few pages back that Retro may be working on another Prime game, whether it's a direct Prime 4 or not is unclear but they do have Prime 3's secret ending to go off of. I personally do want to see a Metroid 5, which is what the fabled Metroid Dread may be. If it is about Samus being on the run, I hope she runs off to some planet and discovers the federation's corrupt side and tries to destroy or expose it or something. I do hope that it's set on a planet where exploration is required though and where you get a sense of discovery, rather than being linear and on a space station like Other M and Fusion were. I really doubt we'll be getting another Other M/cinematic styled game since it doesn't sound like sales were enough to cover the cost of making it and I think that stule was supposed to be the reboot which wasn't really too well recieved either.