Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

Does anyone know if Japan has a different interpretation of what a bounty hunter is? I remember hearing something along those lines somewhere before, and I'm curious to know if there's any truth to it. I don't really think it makes sense, but I'm also not an expert on Japanese culture, so I'm not exactly qualified to say that.

I thought Dread was deconfirmed a long time ago?

Nope, Metroid Dread was confirmed by Sakamoto to be real at one point, and he even said he'd like to go back to it after he finished Other M, though he said this 3 years ago. IGN Editor Craig Harris said he's seen the story/script for Metroid Dread at one point, and that Nintendo can go back to it anytime they want.

Edit: Sakamoto actually said he'd like to re-start Dread's development from scratch. So the story Craig saw and other things are possibly gone by now.

Does anyone know if Japan has a different interpretation of what a bounty hunter is? I remember hearing something along those lines somewhere before, and I'm curious to know if there's any truth to it. I don't really think it makes sense, but I'm also not an expert on Japanese culture, so I'm not exactly qualified to say that.

I'm pretty sure to Nintendo, bounty hunter is just a cool title. It's why Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter who doesn't do anything like that.

Dread hasn't been deconfirmed, just put on hold because of what I assume was to make time for Other M's development. I hope it won't come back only to be shit.

Samus is more like a special forces for hire than a bounty hunter.

I'm pretty sure to Nintendo, bounty hunter is just a cool title. It's why Captain Falcon is a bounty hunter who doesn't do anything like that.

Well, to be fair, Captain Falcon is a character in a racing series, so whatever he does off the track just isn't relevant to the games that feature him. He could be the lead vocalist for the most popular boy band in the galaxy and it wouldn't actually matter in the games.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's some cultural conflict that would explain why Nintendo wouldn't want Samus to hunt bounties even though she's a bounty hunter.

You know off topic but, that seems to be a trope for most Nintendo characters.

Mario never does plumbing, Link never does farming/whatever he's suppose to do, Ness and Lucas never go to school, Samus (except for a few times) and C.F. never do bounties, Peach never rules the kindgom, Pit's a captain/general but never acts like one, ect

Why can't they stop being heroes and just do their damn jobs!? Pay your debt to society Nintendo Characters!

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Mario has actually done plumbing in his games, if you consider the original Mario Bros. Aside from that, yep a dedicated trope.

Edit: He and Luigi also fix the pipes under the Bean bean castle in SuperStar Saga. So out of all the Nintendo freeloaders, Mario's the only one who does his job.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Mario never does plumbing, Link never does farming/whatever he's suppose to do, Ness and Lucas never go to school, Samus (except for a few times) and C.F. never do bounties, Peach never rules the kindgom, Pit's a captain/general but never acts like one, ect

Why can't they stop being heroes and just do their damn jobs!? Pay your debt to society Nintendo Characters!

Lol'd

She tried to in BiS, but ultimately just boiled down to NOPE CALL MARIO

Edited by Solkia-kun

I really would adore for the series to set Samus as an enemy of the Federation and explore that. It's the obvious place to go after Fusion, and while I wouldn't mind placing new games earlier in the timeline for a more traditional feel, or playing with actually having her hunt bounty like suggested, going against the government would certainly be an interesting direction. I'm feeling like it could be a cool opportunity to mix in more involved horror elements like they touched on with the SA-X... not that I have any great ideas on how to go about doing that but I suppose if Samus is being hunted by the Federation that would be something to work with.

• Thumbs Up 3

I suppose Samus being in direct conflict with the Federation could make for an interesting plot. Though to be honest, I wasn't a fan of the antagonistic Federation seen in Fusion and Other M. Those kinds of corrupt government stories didn't interest me in a Metroid game (EDIT: In fact, corrupt government plots don't really interest me in any media). I much preferred it in Metroid Prime 3 when the Federation worked with Samus, yet was completely understanding of the fact that she was a galaxy-saving badass.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do agree that "the government is secretly evil" plotline does seem a bit out of place within Metroid, but since it was such a big part of Fusion's ending, there really isn't any way for them to avoid it in Metroid 5. All we can do is hope that they pull the gameplay and aesthetics off in such a way that the story feels fresh and not a retread of Other M or Fusion.

Federation changes:

Prime 3- Samus?! You're a celebrity, it's an honor! Go do your thing.

Other M- Samus?! do what we say, because we know better than you. We totally didn't send an assassin after you guys or anything

large.1338296723.png

Why has prime handled the story much better than Nintendo themselves? I honestly wouldn't mind if they gave the series to Retro permanently

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really would adore for the series to set Samus as an enemy of the Federation and explore that. It's the obvious place to go after Fusion, and while I wouldn't mind placing new games earlier in the timeline for a more traditional feel, or playing with actually having her hunt bounty like suggested, going against the government would certainly be an interesting direction. I'm feeling like it could be a cool opportunity to mix in more involved horror elements like they touched on with the SA-X... not that I have any great ideas on how to go about doing that but I suppose if Samus is being hunted by the Federation that would be something to work with.

Metroid: Resistance

Fuck yeah

Peach never rules the kindgom,

Would so pay good money for Sim City: Mushroom Kingdom edition.

But anyway, back on topic.

Thanks to the DSiware I have played every Metroid title ever released, and can say without a shadow

of a doubt that for me Metroid 2 on the original Gameboy is the worst game in the series.

The original Metroid Prime was the best.

Metroid Resisance: Fall of Prime

That is a badass title, the question is; outside of being a fugitive what would the story be about?

I can't really recall a time when I needed to crouch in Metroid.

My memory may be a little hazy however.

Really? Because I needed to crouch constantly.

Also, metroid 2 actually starts you with 99 in stead of fucking 30.

Seriously, what the hell is with that?

We've seen most of these. Hell, we've seen Link on the run in LTTP.

I can't really recall a time when I needed to crouch in Metroid.

My memory may be a little hazy however.

Well, you know those little hedgehog-like spiky enemies that crawl on the floor? In the original NES Metroid you can't kill them unless you go to morph ball mode and drop some bombs.

Because you can neither crouch nor aim diagonally.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, you know those little hedgehog-like spiky enemies that crawl on the floor? In the original NES Metroid you can't kill them unless you go to morph ball mode and drop some bombs.

Because you can neither crouch nor aim diagonally.

And that was so fucking annoying. I am so glad Zero Mission got the crouch in, because otherwise it'd be way more annoying.