Awoo.

Game Grumps

Soniman

Games today are more complicated, yeah, but you can still teach without shoving it down the player's throat. And what ever happened to experimenting with the controls when you first get a new game? If we didn't have "press start button" prompts, would people never get past the title screen?

"Show, don't tell" is a rule more games (and other media) should follow.

Edited by chilly cosmictruffle
  • Thumbs Up 2

Game Grumps is the tits.

I generally tend to watch it whenever I need a good laugh 'cause Jontron and Egoraptor together are pretty hilarious. I also tend to agree a lot with Ego on a lot of his points regarding game design since I feel the same way generally. His Megaman X video basically summed up the whole feeling I have about handholding in games too, a strong game should be able to convey its mechanics without having to tell you every 2 seconds how to do things (and then constantly remind you of said mechanics about halfway into the game haha).

• Thumbs Up 1

The ball puzzle and End of the World are going to be fucking hysterical.

That's assuming they do all 3 characters. I have a feeling they will stop with Sonic's playthrough.

Edited by Phantom R / Tenchibr

The Sonic '06 playthrough gives me such a weird feeling, like the whole thing is teetering on the edge of a cliff, and every problem they encounter could easily be the final, tiny grain of sand that sends the whole thing toppling over the edge and forcing them to quit. I honestly can't watch any of the S06 videos with thinking, "is this the one where they give up?" It feels inevitable.

When the playthrough started, I didn't even expect them to get past Wave Ocean. I thought the mach speed segment was gonna break them. They've gone so much further than that now, and I've been amazed the whole time. Honestly? I still don't think they're gonna beat the game, but the progress they've made so far gives me the tiniest glimmer of hope that they might beat Sonic's story. But beyond that? I figure that they'll either abandon the game at that point, claiming that they technically beat the game that they had started, or they'll just completely fail to realize that there are other stories to play. They didn't seem to notice either of the messages announcing that they unlocked Silver and Shadow, and I feel like the only chance they could have to realize those stories are playable would be to accidentally highlight one of them after one of their game overs. And that seems like a pretty big gamble.

People have talked about Silver and Last Story, but not about Shadow?

How about his White Acropolis level? I played it again recently and COMPLETELY forgot that you have to destroy all the towers to complete, and it took me 15 minutes to remember. They probably will head straight to the goal and think the level is glitched.

It's fair to say that this is way better Pokecapn's playtrough, which is held as the primary way to "experience" the game, but that changed now.

I dunno. I like pokecapn's playthrough because, well. They have a faint idea of what they're getting into. They've heard it's horrible, but no one really seems to know what exactly to expect. And it hits them hard. I also find a certain hilarity with those guys, but that's just me.

Game Grumps, lovin' their playthrough too. I'd say both are required viewing, no reason to watch just one when they're both entertaining.

I find it hard sometimes to agree with Aarin's game design philosophies when it takes him 5-6 minutes to work out how to beat Iblis. But that's just me.

Im sure he would have figured it out just fine if only the requirements to beat the boss wasn't vague, the gameplay actually worked, and if the camera wasn't fucking atrocious.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's the same issues for everyone who plays, and pretty much everyone I've talked to worked it out in 2 minutes or less.

Edit: On the other hand, they're both goofing around since that's what people find funny, so I guess it makes sense that they'd be distracted.

Edited by Gerkuman

I do remember dying on Iblis II quite a bit myself, so I can't really blame Arin much there because it's so fucking cryptic on how to beat the boss, and like Scrooge said the fucking camera.

Iblis phase 2 has such a geniusly dickish boss AI timing. You see, when you finally are able to reach one of the glowing gems, that's the precise point when Iblis is compelled to NOT jump forward but spend time doing a belly dance to project fireballs all over. If you're quick on the draw, you'll have wasted exactly enough time for the gem to run out of time and get destroyed when Iblis should jump into it.

It seems unnecessarily to point out how much this game lacks playtesting when it's even more egreriously lacking programming. But man, it's fun to watch the Grumps hit so many glitches and pitfalls without even trying to.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Grumps return to Donkey Kong Country!

Edited by CC14 the Vipester
  • Thumbs Up 6

DADADDADA INSPECTOR GADGET

Edited by Stab stab stab!

Jon and Arin's reaction to Knuckles' little glitch freakout was perfect. I laughed so hard I actually had an asthma attack.

EDIT:

That one part condensed into one video for your enjoyment!

At one point I had to pause the video because I was laughing so hard. That had to be one of their best reactions yet!

Ding dong, Iblis is dead, now some more town missions lie on the road ahead.

More New Super Mario Bros. Thankfully, though, this time they were smart enough to keep it to a one-off.

Scary moment... they're talking about Gallagher and then the Gallagher GEICO commercial came on my TV at the SAME EXACT TIME. ohmy.png

Edited by Snatcher2047

Oh the wars my friend and I used to have playing NBA JAM. They should play NBA on NBC SHOWTIME for Dreamcast. They'd probably lose their minds. Also, best ending yet.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Jon and Arin hit the rails.

Part of me wants to see how far Jon and Arin make it into Sonic 06, but another part of me cares deeply for their health and well-being.

• Thumbs Up 1