Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

With LittleBigPlanet you can play with people who have downloadable content and play downloadable content levels so long as you're with a host who has purchased it.

I think you should at least be able to race on the track even though you didn't buy it, so long as the host has it and wants to pick it. It just seems silly to entirely split rooms between DLC and non-DLC.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think what also has slightly narked me is the other "DLC" for 400G to enable the unlock for characters, maps and tracks that you would unlock anyway, for free, if you played it. I honestly can't justify in my mind why anyone understanding this would pay money for this.

As for the code's existance: The overreaction from some to this has been especially lol-worthy. Say you lose your game save and can't be bothered to go through everything again? You need access fast for whatever reason? ITS A CODE. Thats it. It just gives people the option if they don't want to play through it. Regardless of other peoples feelings people have taken the opportunity to make use of it. They've got the unlocks, does it make them more skilled at the game than someone who does play through the game entirely? No. So if you took on one in a race you'll likely whoop their asses. It doesn't affect anyone who legit plays through the game so what is the problem?

...considering you get such a huge range of characters, tracks and tunes to play with anyway for the price of the title - this adds very little for the cost. I think the fans on the whole are sensible with their money and this will put off a lot of people buying further content.

Now I'm going to assume there are a couple more of these packs lined up? If there are two more character/map packs to come out, that means if a fan wants to have everything at his disposal its going to cost them 1680G about (£14.40) for it. That's nearly half the cost of the game itself.

I'm not going to answer what if anything is coming out after this, you know that T in any case you're still making arguments based upon assumptions. You might as well say we're gonna do 6 packs that'd be 3360G (about £28.80) Thats almost the entire price of the game! Outrageous! :P

What you're still saying is that you want an entirely new game mode as DLC. Okay. Fine. But then if that occured it'd be more likely some sort of rejig of the multiplayer... the battle modes for instance. Now if we made the option for that DLC you'd say that should be a free patch. So... if we can't use any of the existing modes either... whats exactly left here to add on?

Missions? Come on you guys know full well if we'd released a pack of missions you'd all be complaining about how it wasn't worth much when you can often complete them so quickly or you'd be complaining they aren't original enough.

...you cannot say a character, a track and some extra songs increases the playtime of this game beyond 5 minutes. For a little extra, you can get DLC episodes for other games which add at least 2 hours more playtime and actually increase the shelf-life of the game. Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Borderlands are all great examples. They may be a little more expensive but look at what you're getting.

SEGA's DLC strategy essentially rips off the hardcore fan by making them pay silly prices for little add-ons that should really be free. And of course, the real fans will buy them because they don't want to miss out. It's quite a shady practice if you think about it.

So SY, according to you SEGA are deliberately ripping off consumers through shady dealings... nice. :P Im gonna forward your entire statement to the people who've been working on it Monday as an example of what people have been saying about the DLC. They'll be pleased to know their work is so well received.

As for the details of your "values", comparing ASR to RE, GTA and Borderlands is frankly silly when they are completely different types of games that lead them to completely different types of DLC. ASR is a character driven racer. Are you likely to get more characters and tracks for a character driven racer or are you likely to get more mission based chapters of a story driven game? I must've missed the story element in the ASR that would allow that.

As for the pricing is the pack worth more than an avatar hat? Is it worth more than a t-shirt? Is it worth more than a prop... or two props? Is it worth more than one character alone?

I demand some Sonicman and Wentos Avatar outfits for their respective games.

Sonicman is dead. Tragic canoeing accident. Sorry. Wentos's stuff is tied up by rights issues over his brand of top hat. Apparently its copyrighted by the family of Isambard Kingdom Brunell. So no go for him either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Im gonna forward your entire statement to the people who've been working on it Monday as an example of what people have been saying about the DLC. They'll be pleased to know their work is so well received.

Unless SUMO came up with the DLC prices, I think that's a bit of a silly thing to do. That is, if you even mean SUMO.

Im gonna forward your entire statement to the people who've been working on it Monday as an example of what people have been saying about the DLC. They'll be pleased to know their work is so well received.

I'm not saying that the people who developed the content are to blame as Sumo are obviously not involved in the pricing. But the pricing is just too high for such a small amount of content. I'm not targeting you AAUK as you are a community man in charge of promotion for this title so I appreciate what you can do for us fans. Maybe I exaggerated SEGA's practices as it is up to the consumer to make the choice as to whether or not they are going to buy it.

But I just feel that compared to other DLC on the market this was a little too much for a character, a track and some songs. On a more related note, Polyphony gave 5 supercars away for free to use on Gran Turismo PSP. Ryo-F costs £3 alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for the code's existance: The overreaction from some to this has been especially lol-worthy. Say you lose your game save and can't be bothered to go through everything again? You need access fast for whatever reason? ITS A CODE. Thats it. It just gives people the option if they don't want to play through it. Regardless of other peoples feelings people have taken the opportunity to make use of it. They've got the unlocks, does it make them more skilled at the game than someone who does play through the game entirely? No. So if you took on one in a race you'll likely whoop their asses. It doesn't affect anyone who legit plays through the game so what is the problem?

That's fine. But what's the justification for the price of 400G though if "ITS A CODE"?

Content wise I'm not getting into an arguement about it. I can think of a load of features that could have been thrown in: reverse tracks? Granted it wouldn't work for them all but the ones it could work for would have expanded the multiplayer mode, opened new time trial options etc...multiplayer missions? i.e. tasks to be accomplished with two people or more? I could go on all night generating ideas.

But this is all besides the point! It's not the quantity I'm debating! It's the flamin' price AAUK! The DLC for other games sure is different, but I don't see that as a justification of the price!

T

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to split the online community for the game into two groups. Those being downloadable content users and non-downloadable content users. You're punishing the people who payed for it by making it so that they can't use the content and play with the people who don't have it at the same time. Thus limiting who they can play with. You're also punishing the people who didn't pay for it by making it so they can't (at the very least) experience the new content (mainly talking about tracks here) unless they buy it, and then make a room specifically for downloadable content users.

Also, what happens when (hypothetically, of course) the next character/level pack comes out? What if they make a Space Channel 5 pack with a Morolian as a playable character? If I buy that, but ignore the Death Egg Pack with Metal Sonic, what happens when I make a downloadable content enabled room? Will the people who only bought the Metal Sonic downloadable content be able to play with me, or will the online community be split into three groups by that point?

Edited by Chooch

It's fair that the tracks can't be played by those who don't have them, but they should've taken an LBP approach to the characters - let them be seen but not used by those who don't have them.

The concept of dividing up online communities isn't new, when I go play Gears of War 1 or 2 I can't join alot of groups because I haven't got some of the DLC. I don't see how you could make it work for all with pieces of content this large in size. You could say some of the DLC for these popular online shooters is overpriced for what you're getting, at the moment I refuse to buy the MW2 DLC as it is more than overpriced.

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to split the online community for the game into two groups. Those being downloadable content users and non-downloadable content users. You're punishing the people who payed for it by making it so that they can't use the content and play with the people who don't have it at the same time. Thus limiting who they can play with. You're also punishing the people who didn't pay for it by making it so they can't (at the very least) experience the new content (mainly talking about tracks here) unless they buy it, and then make a room specifically for downloadable content users.

Also, what happens when (hypothetically, of course) the next character/level pack comes out? What if they make a Space Channel 5 pack with a Morolian as a playable character? If I buy that, but ignore the Death Egg Pack with Metal Sonic, what happens when I make a downloadable content enabled room? Will the people who only bought the Metal Sonic downloadable content be able to play with me, or will the online community be split into three groups by that point?

Actually 4.

1.No DLC

2.All DLC

3.Metal Sonic & Death Egg DLC

4.Another Future DLC

....Yeah I don't like where this is going.

The way I picture it you won't be able to use any DLC online unless you have ALL of it. So it's either all or nothing.

Not unlike Halo 3.

Theres two problems with that.

* I download the Metal Sonic + Death Egg DLC and you do not. I invite you to my game and you can play on that track against my character. Even though you cannot play as Metal Sonic, you can play on the track.

* The only way around that divide would be to release the levels and characters as a locked patch, then charge people to play it via an unlock code. Then there would be even more uproar.

But it's no different from any other set up as far as I can see, in some cases it's better, like on Red Faction 3, if the party leader has all the DLC and searches for a random game, he may get put into a DLC game, but those who don't have it will be kicked from his party.

You know exactly how that would happen, and it's exactly the same as any other DLC multiplayer map/mode. Uncharted 2 is going to be exactly the same when the new co-op modes come online.

Not sure if this has been covered, but I think the way online DLC will work now and in the future is that the creator of the lobby has the option to turn on/off their DLC and anybody joining will be accepted or denied based on what DLC they themselves have.

So let's say there are 5 DLC packs when DLC is over with. I have all of them, create a lobby and turn DLC "on", then some dude who has all but one DLC joins and is told they they won't be able to participate as one of the tracks is one that they don't have.

So it may be an all or nothing affair, unless Sumo makes a change and allows the lobby to fill with non-DLC players, but those players are not allowed to race if the creator selects a track that they don't have.

Where oh where is S0L?!

Edited by Doctor Eggman

If it were up to me, I would say have the characters be patched in and unlocked with a code, (thus to non-owners are seen but not played) whereas for DLC tracks, upon selecting the lobby leader is warned "some players do not have this DLC, are you sure you want to play?" If they select yes, the non-owners are presented with a message saying that a DLC race is currently in progress, and have the option to do a time trial while they wait or something... I dunno.

Not sure if this has been covered, but I think the way online DLC will work now and in the future is that the creator of the lobby has the option to turn on/off their DLC and anybody joining will be accepted or denied based on what DLC they themselves have.

So let's say there are 5 DLC packs when DLC is over with. I have all of them, create a lobby and turn DLC "on", then some dude who has all but one DLC joins and is told they they won't be able to participate as one of the tracks is one that they don't have.

So it may be an all or nothing affair, unless Sumo makes a change and allows the lobby to fill with non-DLC players, but those players are not allowed to race if the creator selects a track that they don't have.

Where oh where is S0L?!

He's been in Japan all this week, don't know when he gets back.

Theres two problems with that.

* I download the Metal Sonic + Death Egg DLC and you do not. I invite you to my game and you can play on that track against my character. Even though you cannot play as Metal Sonic, you can play on the track.

* The only way around that divide would be to release the levels and characters as a locked patch, then charge people to play it via an unlock code. Then there would be even more uproar.

But what you just said is exactly how LittleBigPlanet does downloadable content. And I hardly see anyone complaining about that. It's not a 'problem' at all.

Really, what's the issue with being able to race against Metal Sonic and play on that track when invited, but not being able to on your own unless you buy it yourself?

Edited by Chooch

People without the DLC can play the track and against Metal Sonic when invited? I have the DLC on both consoles but I didn't know that :blink:

I'm still waiting for the DLC that allows me to play as the Outrun Couple, the Hang-On Dude, the Hornet from Daytona USA and the Low-Poly F1 Car from Virtua Racing; the first two already own vehicles, and the latter two ARE vehicles - obvious choices for extra characters/cars, no?

As for courses...

THREE-SEVEN SPEEDWAY. RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLIIIIINGGGGGGGGG STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!!!

That is all.

People without the DLC can play the track and against Metal Sonic when invited? I have the DLC on both consoles but I didn't know that :blink:

No, you can't. I'm saying that's how it should be.

Oh, I saw you and Casanova mention it and thought you guys meant you can do that. I'm sure when S0L returns from Japan he'll clear up all of the issues raised here.

But what you just said is exactly how LittleBigPlanet does downloadable content. And I hardly see anyone complaining about that. It's not a 'problem' at all.

So thats one game, but if you mean the Metal Gear and Pirates levels as apposed to every bit of DLC made for that game.

I played two MGS missions before I got the pack, it was totally pointless, every time I played it I got warnings about my game would not be saved, items would not be saved, I wouldn't be able to use any items to build a level etc. I had to download it. Nothing you collect saves, no trophies unlock. You're also at the mercy of the host player, you can't actually play them on your own and enjoy them fully and get the rewards of the level. You need to buy it in order to do that.

Not to mention that if you couldn't play levels that used the DLC in LBP, nobody would play it, the whole game has been as sucessful as it has been by allowing people to do play others levels using all the tools that the creator has, otherwise the online would have died long ago.

But ASR is a totally different online environment to LBP so you really can't compare the two.

Really, what's the issue with being able to race against Metal Sonic and play on that track when invited, but not being able to on your own unless you buy it yourself?

Because you wouldn't need to buy it if they let you do that, all what you would need to do is play a long time online and thats it. As a seller you'd more or less be giving it away.

People without the DLC can play the track and against Metal Sonic when invited? I have the DLC on both consoles but I didn't know that

You can't, thats the point I'm trying to make, that day that me you and Dread played, say I bought the DLC out of the three of us and I invited you guys, we then played it for a few hours, why would you guys bother to buy it when all you have to do is ask me to host the game for you?

Edited by Casanova

It's literally impossible.

Please listen. This is NOT an unlock code. These are all new assets. The people without DLC literally do not have the data for the track and character.

How do you expect to play on something that as far as your data goes, doesn't exist?

The ONLY way around it would be to force a patch that makes everyone download the DLC and then charge them seven dollars for an unlock code. This is majorly wrong for a multitude of reasons:

1. It's a HUGE ripoff for starters, and people are already complaining about the DLC prices as it is.
  2. It's only one character and one track. Let's say you like DEZ, but don't care about Metal Sonic. If you play the track online, you've about experienced all you care to, unless you're into the futility that is Time Trials. Therefore you have no reason to actually purchase the content, and that's a sale lost. You're basically getting it for free, which is unfair to everyone who paid for it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can't, thats the point I'm trying to make, that day that me you and Dread played, say I bought the DLC out of the three of us and I invited you guys, we then played it for a few hours, why would you guys bother to buy it when all you have to do is ask me to host the game for you?

Yeah, you make a good point there. No-one would bother to buy it if you could do that and alot of money spent on the DLC's development would all have been for very minimal money back.

I'm still waiting for the DLC that allows me to play as the Outrun Couple, the Hang-On Dude, the Hornet from Daytona USA and the Low-Poly F1 Car from Virtua Racing; the first two already own vehicles, and the latter two ARE vehicles - obvious choices for extra characters/cars, no?

As for courses...

THREE-SEVEN SPEEDWAY. RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLIIIIINGGGGGGGGG STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!!!

That is all.

They need drivers, except for Hornet since he counts as a character all by himself. I suggest that Sarah Bryant from Virtua Fighter drives the Virtua Racing car.

If not then I'd like to see Sarah Bryant and Vanessa Lewis as a pair driving the Prototype racer from VR, since her brother Jacky gets paired up with Akira.

As for the rest of the Sega racers I prefer that they'd have representation in TRACKS, not characters. I don't want faceless generic characters taking up roster space, and besides, the tracks and music are what everyone remembers from those games, not the characters.

The Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing website is still being updated!

Metal Sonic has been added to the Characters section (complete with sexy 360° vehicle rotation and bio), and some infos about the Avatar Marketplace additions are up as well. The All-Star Moves section hasn't been touched since the leak fiasco however, and Avatar and Mii haven't been added to the Characters section yet. And it could still use some downloads.

Still a neat site though!

Edited by HunterTSF