Awoo.

Thoughts about sonic 06

Light_Framez

Ickle Sonic here pretty much sums up what I feel about '06

whydidyoudothistome.png

The only good thing this travesty has is it's soundtrack and gorgeous CG sequences. The rest of it....is just plain embarrassing, so cringeworthy and awful. I honestly wonder to this day the level of respect Sonic Team and/or the higher-up's had for Sonic as a character and as a franchise back then when they formulated and released this game.

The entire premise of it should never have been considered ("What if Sonic were real?") and it's execution could not have been worse. We have a thoroughly lifeless world in the form of Soleanna, no vibrancy that the series is noted for. There's unappealing and uninteresting NPC's (Except for Sonic Man :lol:).

The storyline...there is no possible way you can defend it with a straight face. And no, being "serious" doesn't make it good on principle. It is conceptually challenged and fundamentally flawed. Sonic gets screwed-over in his own game with Shadow and Silver leeching his role, him being delegated to playing annoying cat and mouse games with a dumbass princess and Eggman who kidnaps her every chance he got. Sonic get's nothing of noteworthiness accomplished in his story and his entire purpose for being in the story is merely as a expendable catalyst to move the story forward when Mephiles murders him in a thoroughly ridiculous fashion.

We're honestly supposed to believe that Sonic being distracted and set off-guard by a flashing jewel and then stabbed through the chest is a worthy death for Sonic the freaking Hedgehog!? This guy annihilates entire space stations! He escaped from a death trap when he and it were shot into space using a teleportation trick he'd never even used before! He utterly ruins gigantic, fear-inducing monsters! And that is a worthy death!?

Sonic has more frikkin' relevance to the story when he's DEAD than what he did when he was ALIVE. His name is the name of the game yet you don't even play as him for 85% of the last story. The game might as well have been titled "Shadow the Hedgehog 2 starring Silver the Hedgehog" considering them two are the ones who have the most influence, the most contact and experience with the true threat in the game and the one that's pulling the strings.

And the plotholes...oh dear God. And the ridiculous melodrama and unintentionally funny cutscenes...

The visuals? Ugly ugly ugly. The game is dominated by it's stupid premise. The models are absolutely horrendous. Sonic looks like a lanky beanpole with a stupid face and overly long spines, Elise looks like she's made out of porcelain and Eggman is downright ugly. They took everything that makes him bombastic and threw it in the trash heap for an atrocious design that rids him of that appealing bombasticness.

The game is teeming with inexcusable physics screws, insane bugs that the average player will inevitably encounter on the average playthrough (Remember the part of Sonic's mach speed section near the goal ring in Wave Ocean where you'll frequently get thrown off the loop for no reason? And what about the boost-jump pad making you leap short and catching you on the wooden pier where Sonic spirals to his death?) and whacked-out level design and inane puzzles. Silver's final section of Dusty Desert anyone? Sonic runs at an incredibly slow pace with no sense of momentum, the level-up items are either broken or useless and they don't even drain the bar upon usage. The characters moves are annoying to use.

Tails' dummy ring bombs are ridiculous, Knuckles and Rouge can't even properly jump of walls a lot of the time due to glitching, Amy's invisibility is just....what? And you can't even do damage with Sonic's normal jump! Shadow outshines him in every possible way.

The game is a steaming pile of shit with the exception of it's music and the quality of it's CG sequences. In my mind, the only game that out-does it in the awful department is Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 5

So your saying that people don't like the game becuase it has multiple play styles. & because "It doesn't feel like sonic".

No, I (I'm not speaking for anyone else) am saying that I don't like the game because of the multiple playstyles being badly executed in my opinion, Big's fishing being somewhat tedious or Amy's gameplay being slow and progression constantly feeling as if it's being halted comes to mind. Don't misconstrue my posts, I request that you reread them.

I've been pretty respectful throughout this whole discussion, so I see no point in making my argument seem derogatory.

Edited by Protagoras

Don't play dumb. You know what I'm talking about. Colors and Generations to some extent is the culmination of childishness in the series in terms of humor.
Point is that a series about a cartoon hedgehog shouldn't be taking itself too seriously. Recent games may be a bit too light, but '06 is easily worse, just in the opposite direction.

I tend to notice that pretty much everything sucks for you.
Might be because a hell of a lot of things suck. If you think otherwise, argue it, but just pointing out that I say a lot of things suck doesn't mean they don't.

Lolwhut? S06 robots stand out in design. No robots look as S06 robots. Egg pawns however...
Come on, they're utterly forgettable. They aren't interesting on their own and they damn sure don't look like they belong in this series. Generic biped guy, vaguely crabish robot, the big ones...they've got no character and if you showed them to someone who wasn't familiar with them they'd have no idea they came from a Sonic game.

Yes there is. There are quite a lot of things that I think are good. Let's stop now as I see this won't get us anywhere.
If you aren't actually going to argue in favor of the things you like, you shouldn't have bothered posting. "Well there's plenty of good things, but I'm not going to tell you!" doesn't earn you any points.

So your saying that people don't like the game becuase it has multiple play styles. & because "It doesn't feel like sonic".
Among other things.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm confused here. I read the topic's title and it says, "Thoughts on 06" and

-I have been seeing perfectly well-reasoned thoughts on how bad the game is.

-OP starts trying to defend 06 by saying if it weren't rushed, it would've been a better game.

-People have to repeat why that wouldn't happen because 06 had more issues than it being rushed.

Haven't we been through this before?

At the end of the day, nobody here will care if you like 06 as long as you admit it's geatly flawed.

But I am getting tired of claims of how 06's 'could have been' because it seems to me that it's just a way for people to get distracted from what we got in the final product.

Alright. they game has many flaws. making it a game you would never want to buy for your collecting. But back when it was in development, it had so much potential. online multiplayer, More DLC, Day/night system. yes the levels do look dull because of its "realistic" look to it. But hey, i wouldn't blame them for trying to make the game look real since the HD consoles were just released and it was their first time with the whole HD thing.

No, I (I'm not speaking for anyone else) am saying that I don't like the game because of the multiple playstyles being badly executed in my opinion, Big's fishing being somewhat tedious or Amy's gameplay being slow and progression constantly feeling as if it's being halted comes to mind. Don't misconstrue my posts, I request that you reread them.

I've been pretty respectful throughout this whole discussion, so I see no point in making my argument seem derogatory.

my mistake, i meant sonic adventure 2

Alright. they game has many flaws. making it a game you would never want to buy for your collecting. But back when it was in development, it had so much potential. online multiplayer, More DLC, Day/night system. yes the levels do look dull because of its "realistic" look to it. But hey, i wouldn't blame them for trying to make the game look real since the HD consoles were just released and it was their first time with the whole HD thing.

my mistake, i meant sonic adventure 2

Even then, everyone's opinion on the Adventure games is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand, you made this topic to discuss Sonic 06, not the Adventure titles.

This topic is so lulzy.

I think I've beaten to death how bad of a game 06 is, what amazes me is that people find the need to try and defend it no matter what;it. sucks. I mean god, why is it the people who do like the game blind themselves from how shitty it is, it makes you look like a child who's too naive and won't accept anything.

It should be noted, I enjoyed playing 06, doesn't make it any less shit.

Even then, everyone's opinion on the Adventure games is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand, you made this topic to discuss Sonic 06, not the Adventure titles.

Yep, i knew we'd get off topic some how :/

online multiplayer, More DLC,
Worthless if the core gameplay is bad.

Day/night system.
...who gives a shit? Seriously, what could this have possibly added to the game?

yes the levels do look dull because of its "realistic" look to it. But hey, i wouldn't blame them for trying to make the game look real since the HD consoles were just released and it was their first time with the whole HD thing.
You should. It was a terrible decision regardless of the jump in technology. Nothing about the improved hardware inevitably leads to trying a more realistic look, and Sonic is not a series that a realistic look should be tried on.

Okay, you're finally admitting the game has flaws, and yet you're still giving me this "It had potential during development" crap.

EDIT: Also echoing Dio and Batman's posts about the HD.

Improving technology =/= make everything look realistic

Unleashed and Generations was HD and neither resorted to making character models look ugly.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

But back when it was in development, it had so much potential.

Not really.

online multiplayer

Considering the multiplayer that was there, pretty sure it wouldn't have been anything special or fun.

More DLC

...And this is good because?

Day/night system

Which Unleashed had.

yes the levels do look dull because of its "realistic" look to it. But hey, i wouldn't blame them for trying to make the game look real since the HD consoles were just released and it was their first time with the whole HD thing.

Why the fuck would you try to make a cartoon look real? That's the entire fucking point of cartoons, it's not supposed to be real.

No amount of potential in development can save what the final product turned out to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

I also think it's kind of pointless to talk about what the game could have been, it doesn't change the fact that the final product was bad, and talking about what could have been just seems unnecessary.

It always did bother me how Naka and most of Sonic Team with him just jumped ship as they did shortly after Sonic 06 was revealed @TGS 2005. It would had been nice if they just finished the game on schedule and then quit to form Prope afterwards, but lolnupe. :V It didn't help that after Adventure Sonic Team didn't develop any of their mainstead Sonic games (SA1-International version to ShTH were instead done USA/Sega Studio USA, with only Iizuka and a couple of others from the original Sonic Team working there), but apparently not a lot of people realize that. :/

I think the second Sonic Team jumped ship to Prope, any potential for the game to be good left with them. Damn shame too, because when the trailer for the game was revealed at TGS 2005, the game reeked of potential to be a amazing game. It didn't help that the tech demo that was available at the show had the day/night cycle-a promised feature that wasn't in the final product!

Edited by Zinos

Yep, i knew we'd get off topic some how :/

And it's the fault of no one but yourself.

Funny how that works, right?

You should. It was a terrible decision regardless of the jump in technology. Nothing about the improved hardware inevitably leads to trying a more realistic look, and Sonic is not a series that a realistic look should be tried on.

Not to mention that the realistic look was executed horribly even on its own merits. I doubt I've ever seen so much uncanny valley in one place.

• Thumbs Up 1

-The story is horrible

-The voice acting is atrocious

-Multihit enemies are fucking annoying since the only reason they existed in the first place is so power characters had a point in Sonic Heroes

-Having to homing attack everything is a pain

-the physics are awful

-so many fucking glitches

-so much terrible level design

-Tails is slow as hell, and the dummy ring bombs are stupid and cause slowdown

-Knuckles drops like a rock and won't get off of the goddamn walls

-slowdown and crappy load times

-incest

-betrayal

-use of alcohol

-unnecessary sex scenes

Did I miss anything?

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, back when, I used to think that this game would've had lots of potential in its earliest stages. Now that I look back there's not much potential to be had.

I mean of course there's the whole thing where a real-time day/night system is going on and the possibility of an open world Sonic game combined with (at the time) impressive graphics, but anything outside that is a realistic turn on a franchise that didn't need a realistic turn, plus gameplay that's been shoddy from the beginning and seems to have never been tweaked upon since the very first build.

In the end, the game was awful, and it leaves me in awe to wonder why so many people have this fascination with it. Like, what people think about it, and what could've been. No other Sonic game has this much of a privilege as to get as many mentions as it does, and for all the wrong reasons.

What I'm trying to say is.. when will we ever forget this happened and move on?

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I'm trying to say is.. when will we ever forget this happened and move on?

Becuz it's sawnik adventur the bestest sawnik game evur.

Seriously the only thing that gets me liking this game is it's soundtrack. Seriously, Aquatic Base, Crisis City and Kingdom valley along with Solaris Phase 2 are amazing pieces. SP2 is one of the best final boss themes in the game(Time eaters is still better.tongue.png). As for the plot, I watch it to get a huge laugh. Seriously Shadows plot was bad but this game even though I find slightly better than SHTH is just super bad in terms of what it tried to accomplish. But the good doesn't save it from broken physics and controls, HORRIBLE execution of side characters, bland locals and generic ugly looking people and horrid voice acting.

Edited by Sora

I'm just going to try something here guys. Bear with me.

Here goes:

Sonic Colours has the best Story in the entire series.

Colours, has corny, child-orientated jokes. However, the underlying plot. One that was admittedly underplayed, but existed nonetheless. That theme was; and I'm sure you guessed it, the enslavement, torchure and conversion of the Wisps into what are effectively zombies. All this, so that Eggman, an incessantly narcissistic individual, can control the minds of everyone on Planet "S" (for lack of a better term) and make them love him (which is kind of sad if you think about it). He's manipulating an entire race of aliens, with no concern for their safety or wellbeing, simply because he wants (positive) attention. That's quite sinister, if you ask me.

Should the writers have felt like it, or SEGA commissioned it, it could have been developed into something huge. Why? Because the core, the backbone, the spine of the story was solid and simple. As it stands they didn't, but its not like they completely erased the theme though. There is a cutscene dedicated to it, so its there if you're looking for it. Best thing is, if you don't want to care - you don't have to! Its not shoved in your face.

If at this point, you say something along the lines of:

"Yeah, well, that potential may have existed, but they didn't do anything, so it doesn't count"

I do believe you are also discussing the potential of Sonic 06, and how if they had spent longer on it, the game would have been amazing (even though it probably wouldn't have) and how the game genuinely did have things that it did well (even though other than the music, it did nothing well).

I'm just sayin' that Colours had the potential to have the best plot in the series, if they had spent longer on it.

See what I did there?

P.S Colours' story, actually does have the potential to be amazing, because its so simple. Any amount of depth could be added. Conversely, there isn't much, if anything, in Sonic 06 that had the potential to be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 7

Okay, you're finally admitting the game has flaws, and yet you're still giving me this "It had potential during development" crap.

EDIT: Also echoing Dio and Batman's posts about the HD.

Improving technology =/= make everything look realistic

Unleashed and Generations was HD and neither resorted to making character models look ugly.

Nothing else to add. i knew the game had flaws & that the game isn't good, all im saying is that it would have been an alright game is it weren't for the struggles that sega were going threw when in development. sure the realistic bullshit was dumb, sure the story would suck. But if they had more time to develop the game. At least the gameplay would've been alright.

Nothing else to add. i knew the game had flaws & that the game isn't good, all im saying is that it would have been an alright game is it weren't for the struggles that sega were going threw when in development. sure the realistic bullshit was dumb, sure the story would suck. But if they had more time to develop the game. At least the gameplay would've been alright.

Edit - can't lie. I think unleashed did the best for quality.

*laughs* No

/Iizuka

what are you laughing about? I think you should meet Sega half way alittle more. that way you'll understand.

As for the graphics thing, Yeah there is no excuse for that kind of thing. Hell SATSR had better graphics on the wii! and that game was pretty early on in the wii's lifespan. So a HD console you would think would have somewhat stunning graphics even if it was early on in the hd console's lifespan. Not expecting generations/unleashed but something not as bland.

@Scar really though that logic could be plugged into a lot of games. Unleashed, Adventure 2, Generations all had that same potential to be the best as well. Off topic but just sayin.

Edited by Sora

Colors could've had one of the best Sonic stories if done better and expanded upon

I can also say the same about SA1, with the suggestion of better writing and acting rather than expansion. Same goes for Unleashed, which had a bit dodgy conversation in the cutscenes compared to everywhere else in the game.

But still, that's getting off topic.. and while I don't see why 06 is worth discussing anymore, its time for me to jump ship. Toodles!

Edited by Azukara