Awoo.

Thoughts about sonic 06

Light_Framez

It's the only modern Sonic game I played and downright hated. You have to understand, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I spent years avoiding Shadow the Hedgehog because of all the negativity, but lo and behold, once I played it I actually ended up enjoying it. So why not give Sonic 06 a shot?

Turns out it was the wrong question. What I *should* have asked was "OH GOD WHHHHHYYYYY???? IT BUUUURRRNNNSS!!!! WHY DO THE GODS HATE US SO???"

Or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06 was decent potential with a handful of bad ideas thrown in and as a whole poorly executed.

It's bad, but it's not as bad as its reputation suggests. Of course, maybe I have a different opinion of it because I played it four years late- I went in knowing and expecting a train wreck, as opposed to the people who bought it at launch expecting a good game from all the hype.

I still think it's a terrible shame that 06's failure was basically the death of the franchise taking itself seriously plot-wise. Everything since then has been increasingly lighthearted and throwaway. I'll still stand by my view that Sonic 06's plot wasn't 'too dark' or unfitting for the franchise- it was around the same level as the Sonic Adventure games. If it had actually been somewhat better-executed, I think the plot for 06 would have been decent.

Elise could have been a good character if they'd developer her a little more and made her feelings for Sonic more justified and less ridiculous and forced. Instead, she's just a cookie-cutter useless damsel in distress who thinks the most heroic thing she can do for her people is to surrender.

Edited by -Mark-

Would've been a great game if it wasn't rushed by Sony or Microsoft.

I really wish people would research their history of this game and really understood what happened.

Have you all seen the cut content?

Would've made it a better game than Sold on nostaliga only Sonic Generations.

Sonic 06 is an abomination that should be put on a rocket and be blasted all the way to the outer reaches of space, never to be seen or heard from anybody ever again. Those are my thoughts on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno what is up with you and you constantly keep throwing it out there that so and so game is 'only sold on nostalgia' or 'this game is only getting good scores cause of nostalgia' etc around here. That gets annoying after a well.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 9

I dunno what is up with you and you constantly keep throwing it out there that so and so game is 'only sold on nostalgia' or 'this game is only getting good scores cause of nostalgia' etc around here. That gets annoying after a well.

Again, it's all about the execution and how well the gimmick is utilized, not just its mere existence and being there.

Sonic 06 is a fucking horrible game.

The graphics are rather mediocre with constant framerate drops, the artstyle and aesthetics conflicts with itself making the game look like a muddled mess (Sonic and co. look like Sonic characters, Eggman and Elise could pass off for Final Fantasy characters, and every other NPC came straight out of the Sims, complete with nonsensical body gestures).

The game focuses too much on combat when it plays like a platformer. There isn't a dedicated combat system of any sort, and Sonic and co. simply don't have enough moves and tricks to make it interesting. You have to rely on spamming the homing attack in order to win, which is actually unreliable because of this game's dodgy hit-detection. When the game isn't in combat, you're most likely watching Sonic and co. run through a loop or some shit. Once every blue moon you do get to do some platforming, but that's quickly ruined by the game's twitchy controls, or the controls outright refusing to function at all. And that's just the tip of the fucking iceberg, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded about the shitty vehicle segments, stupid ball "puzzles", the amigo characters, and the mach speed sections again.

The story is also abysmal, giving birth to who is quite possibly the worst character I ever had the displeasure of seeing, Mephiles the Dark. When I picked him as the worst character of all time in the 30-Days of Vidya Games way back yonder, I fucking meant it.

I almost feel like I'm cheating picking this "character", when he can barely be considered a character at all. He's there for the sake of being there, he has no motive beyond "I'm the bad guy, I do bad things because I can." He's so painfully paper-thin in his intentions and motives, I'm completely dumbfounded at how Silver fell for his shit (thus causing the rest of Sonic 06 to happen).

Speaking of Silver, his "master plan" makes absolutely no fucking sense even within the context of the Sonic universe. He tries playing the "chess master" in the story, and does the equivalent of flipping the chessboard over when lo and behold his ridiculously stupid gambit fails. In fact here's how the plot plays out.

-Have the bitch (who's arguably just as bad of a character) and Sonic develop somewhat of a close friendship. (Completely unnecessary, since he could've just killed the bitch himself and release Iblis that way)

-Trick Silver into killing Sonic to make Elise cry thus releasing Iblis. (He could've just fused with Iblis in the future where Silver comes from too, since Solaris is a being that pays no attention to time, which timeline Iblis comes from shouldn't even matter)

-Be a dick to Shadow and throw him on a wild goose chase for shits and giggles.

When his "master plan" fails, he just backstabs Sonic in the most unsubtle of ways, thus causing the bitch to cry and released Iblis. Note, once again, he could've just killed the bitch and released Iblis that way.

Plus just look at his design. He's literally a recolor of the doppelganger character who's also arguably a recolor. Some people argue that his more "crystalline" form (above) is better, when it's still just a shitty recolor. The only form of his that isn't a shitty recolor is his original form, which is a fucking puddle of black goop. The goop in Super Mario Sunshine has more personality than he does.

Edited by Pinkamena
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's mostly true, since most of the praise for generations I see is "It was such a nostalgic ride" Never mind the recycled gameplay from Unleashed. I mean nostalgia > gameplay, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey im not the one who started swearing. all i did was explain why sonic 06 sucked, and why it shouldn't be treated badly.

Hey im not the one who started swearing. all i did was explain why sonic 06 sucked, and why it shouldn't be treated badly.

I swear at the drop of a hat, so don't get worked up over that.

And no, '06 deserves to be treated badly, because it's a terrible game. There are no extenuating circumstances that justify that level of shit from a professional company.

• Thumbs Up 6

if it were polished. The game wouldn't be that bad. animations would look alot better, voice acting would be better consider THEY ONLY HAD A DAMN WEEK to finish it. And the level design would look alittle better then it is now.

It's mostly true, since most of the praise for generations I see is "It was such a nostalgic ride" Never mind the recycled gameplay from Unleashed.

if it were polished. The game wouldn't be that bad. animations would look alot better, voice acting would be better consider THEY ONLY HAD A DAMN WEEK to finish it. And the level design would look alittle better then it is now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that's what u can expect from a 13 year old kid happy.png

Anyways, i got this info from a sega website a while ago. i don't remember the url. I'll go look it up & see if i can find it again so that you guys can check it out. your probably thinking "It could just be any website you stupid F*@#" . but the website i got it from seemed pretty convincing to me.

& seriously? for those of you who liked generations for the nostalgia? wtf is wrong with you people??

Edited by Light_Framez

Would've been a great game if it wasn't rushed by Sony or Microsoft.

That's a load of bollocks right there.

I really wish people would research their history of this game and really understood what happened.

Have you all seen the cut content?

Doesn't matter if all the cut content was actual finished and included in the game. It would still have been an irreversably terrible game with absolutely no redeeming features at all, other than the soundtrack (which still isn't 100% brilliant).

There is no excusive the repulsive mass of utter tripe the story was. Yeah, they could have spent longer making the writing better, but when the backbone of the story was so overly complex and convoluted and just generally appauling. I could at some point provide a dissection about why Sonic 06 had such a pitifully terrible story, but I won't right now because I lack the time.

Then there is the level design, which is shockingly terrible. Its usually nonsensical and the platforming has no sense of direction or indeed any purpose. The larger stages are vacuous and empty, and given that Sonic and Shadow had been slowed down considerably since Shadow and Heroes, traversing them was a complete travesty. When you were moving at a decent pace it was because there were a dozen speedboosters (and other scripted events) playing the game for you. To put it simply most levels felt like they were created and then filled with random objects and platforms, everything was incoherant. The problem isn't the amount of polish, its the design philosophy itself, which is effectively all the bad stuff from the preceding games crushed into one singuler entity of utter repulsion. Then there is the engine which is without a shadow of a doubt, completely and utterly broken. Polishing would have fixed it, but so what? The level design would still have been bad and overly reliant of scripting.

Then we can move onto aesthetics which are just wrong for a Sonic game. Sure you can like the way the game looks, but there is an overwhelming consensus that it looked like shite. Unleashed, and Generations are far superior HD efforts, and fuck....even Colours was a better looking game, inspite only being in SD.

Soundtrack, well....I liked Aquatic Base, Wave Ocean, Radical Train, Flame core and Crisis City. The rest of it was mediocre. I don't know much about the cutscene music, but apparently it was quite good. Its good and certainly it is pleasant to listen to, but there are a few people who think that there aren't very many catchy "Sonic-y" tunes. Its a fairly sophisticated and detailed soundtrack, which I do enjoy, but lacks the variety that Unleashed, Colours,Generations as well as, SA1, SA2 and Heroes, had in their respective soundtracks.

To sum things up, the only way to make 06 anything near a good game, would be to basically rip up the concept into tiny little peices and start again. Its flawed to the core. Besides some of the music in the soundtrack, there isn't one element in its core game design that can be considered good. Taking longer to make it would essentially make it a very shiny lump of phaeces. Sure its shiny now, but its still a turd.

That's hilarious.

In all seriousness no. Though it can be said that Generations isn't perfect, nor is it the definitive direction to take the franchise, its core gameplay and design is light-years ahead of 06. Generations is fundamentally better than 06. You can have more fun playing 06 sure, that's your perogative, but there is no way in hell that you could argue that 06 could have been better than Generations is. Its simply not possible. I used to think that 06 could have been better if it spent longer in development, but then I examined it closely and found out that no amount of time could have made 06 into a good game.

It's mostly true, since most of the praise for generations I see is "It was such a nostalgic ride"

It was a contributing factor yes. See the thing is though, Generations, inspite of its flaws, was a much better designed game. Generations' level design is better, soundtrack is better, graphics are better, programming is better, engine is vastly superior.

Never mind the recycled gameplay from Unleashed

That may be true, but at least it can be considered an improvement of Unleashed(not everyone will agree, naturally, but you can argue that it is).

And what about the recycled SA1/SA2 gameplay in 06? Generations loses points for being derivative of Unleashed, yet 06 is perfectly fine copying (all the bad and terrible aspects of) the SA1/SA2 gameplay? Come on, at least consider the blatant double standards contained in that post.

I mean nostalgia > gameplay, right?

See this would be true, if 06 had better gameplay than Generations. Sadly it does not, so you can put your strawman away now. Sadly it was ineffective.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 7

Your argument is riding upon the assumption that if the game were "polished" that it would be substantial, despite majority of us having the consensus that it's a bad game, I think we all have our own perspective on what areas need polish, I for one wasn't too bothered by the glitches in Sonic 06, but instead the barren hub worlds, character designs, fairly noninteresting level layout, and the over utilization of scripted events. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic 06 was a finished product, they had the courage to ship it off to stores, fully packaged, ported it to another system with no improvements, and gave the two versions DLC. They seemed to think that it was finished enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that's what u can expect from a 13 year old kid happy.png

Wait, uh, did you just say outright that you're stupid? For clarification, I am not insulting you; I am legitimately asking :I

& seriously? for those of you who liked generations for the nostalgia? wtf is wrong with you people??

I'd say what's "wrong" with these people is the fact that Generations is freaking nostalgic.

Not that it's the only reason to love the game, of course.

EDIT:

I like Sonic 06 quite a lot. It was the last game that didn't have that over the top childish crap the recent games have and had playable characters other than Sonic and unique enemies/bosses design. It was the last time Sega had the balls to try something unique.

U mad?

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things in newer games, but for me (I am adventure fan) S06 is belongs to the favorite era and the game has a lot of things I love about the franchise that the new games lack or don't have whatsoever.

Yep. It's that time of year again.

Edited by T-Man

I like Sonic 06 quite a lot. It was the last game that didn't have that over the top childish crap the recent games have and had playable characters other than Sonic and unique enemies/bosses design. It was the last time Sega had the balls to try something unique.

U mad?

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things in newer games, but for me (I am adventure fan) S06 is belongs to the favorite era and the game has a lot of things I love about the franchise that the new games lack or don't have whatsoever.

Edited by ArtFenix