Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

A friend helped me get the game working... And its one of the biggest pieces of trash I have ever played...

Got 4 levels into the story level before I quit. NOTHING goes your way and EVERYTHING is out to get you. It might was well be a 9v1 because the AI gangs up on you worse then Mario Kart and all you have to do is barely clip a rock to flying out of bounds(Yes, this happened to me A LOT!) No matter what character you use, you are always slower, your All-Star barely even works and 90% of the time sends me into a wall and everytime I perform a stunt, I crash, even if I should have easily gotten it.

First time playing? Yeah, that happens tongue.png You must get the hang of the things first, learn your moves. But if you don't want the game, I don't mind having another copy ;)

Edited by Jango

A friend helped me get the game working... And its one of the biggest pieces of trash I have ever played...

Got 4 levels into the story level before I quit. NOTHING goes your way and EVERYTHING is out to get you. It might was well be a 9v1 because the AI gangs up on you worse then Mario Kart and all you have to do is barely clip a rock to flying out of bounds(Yes, this happened to me A LOT!) No matter what character you use, you are always slower, your All-Star barely even works and 90% of the time sends me into a wall and everytime I perform a stunt, I crash, even if I should have easily gotten it.

4 levels into the story/career mode = 3 races and a drift challenge.The races are on Panzar Dragoon, Sonic Heroes and Afterburner. Which are considered the easiest tracks in the game.

Clipping a rock sends you out of bounds? No it doesn't... how can it? Because on those 4 races you have played, there isn't any section of track that can do that.

Sonic Heroes: The only 'pit area' is at the start line going into that first turn... which there are no on track objects.

Panzar Dragoon: This track doesn't have any pit areas.

AfterBurner: This track doesn't have any pit areas.

The drift challenge race is set on Jet Set Radio classic... which doesn't have any pits except for those two jumps near the end of the track, the only way you can fall into that is if you deliberately drive at an angle or get hit by another racer... which can't happen in a drift challenge since there are no other racers.

So where is this mysterious rock you keep hitting?

Your all star move is useless? Might give you more credability if you actually said what racer you were using and how you were trying to do it. But they're not useless, they all work.

• Thumbs Up 1

NOTHING goes your way and EVERYTHING is out to get you. It might was

well be a 9v1 because the AI gangs up on you worse then Mario Kart

Unfortunately, this is just how the game works. Try playing C or B rank for the time being to get the hang on things. Many have complained about this before and it seems like most just dealt with it. It will be a frustrating experience when you first play A rank, and will continue to be so.

all you have to do is barely clip a rock to flying out of bounds(Yes, this happened to me A LOT!)

Are you talking about those rock structures in Dragoon flying section? Yeah, this can be a problem if you don't avoid them. I actually encountered something similar in a NiGHTS level. I took a bad turn while flying and I was stuck for a bit inside a rocky structure. Galactic Parade can also push you out of the level if you try to take a bad turn. The Wii U version if playing on the TV gives you a path on the Gamepad on where the invisible walls are, but I'm not sure if the other versions do so. Just try to not do anything risky and give yourself some room. Make sure to do barrel rolls too.

No matter what character you use, you are always slower

You are correct. No matter what speed you are (low, or max), you will always be behind the AI. It becomes frustrating when you're at max speed on a long pathway and somehow the AI cheats up and passes you to the finish. Completely unbelievable on how the AI does this.

your All-Star barely even works and 90% of the time sends me into a wall

I think I had similar problem. This in my opinion is a bigger problem with levels with a lot of turns. It seems the All Star has a habit of being stupid iirc and it may crash into walls. Sometimes I just try to completely avoid using the All Star move if I know a certain section won't like it.

Compared to the first game, I think the All Stars were made a lot weaker this time around. Some characters just flat out suck with how useful they are. Try looking at the "ALL STAR" stat to see if the character you're playing as sucks.

and everytime I perform a stunt, I crash, even if I should have easily gotten it.

I think the game is a lot more picky with stunts. You have to have a bit of leg room to finish the stunt. There are also a ton of areas that seem like your stunt should have finish but it really doesn't. Get the timing right too. The AfterBurner level seems to be a dick to stunts when you're going near the boating section. I found getting off the ledge as far as possible and then doing the trick seems to do it.

Overall, your problems have been stated by others before. People have experienced many similar issues. All I can say is... keep practicing. You will eventually skill up to have a better chance with the dirty AI.

From the PC version...

ASN_App_PcDx9_Final%25202013-02-03%25201

Just click the image and then click anywhere outside it to get back

I look at this image... and after I get past the beautiful water... when my eyes stop crying from how lovely the green looks...

And then I see BD Joe. That grin on his face... it gets bigger and bigger... and it's almost like he's laughing at me, as if to say "HA HA! You'll never have a PC good enough to run this!"

• Thumbs Up 4

My PC is kind of old and it runs it on max settings.

Here's my basic specs for comparison:

Windows 7 64-bit Version

Intel Core 2 Quad (I believe it's 2.4 GHz, might be a bit more)

Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX

8 Gigabytes or RAM

I suggest you stop saying that. That's better than a lot of PC's released today.

Edited by DarkOverord
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ Exactly. The GeForce 460 GTX card (or similar/better) doesn't come standard on most desktops. 

I think Wreck it Ralph bought his PC at a high price. It can easily explain why it holds up today.

I think most PCs released within 1-3 years should be able to play the game smoothly. I bought mine back in what, 2006? Sure it isn't super powerful but at least it passes minimum and edges into recommended lol.

Here's one thing I like about the PC version: Being able to customize the controls (even when using an Xbox 360 controller.) I especially like how some commands can be mapped to multiple buttons (I got stunts/rolls mapped to the Right Stick, AND the D-pad, AND I can use the bumpers to do left/right rolls.)

Also, I did a test by ripping one of the game's models while the model quality was set to low. The polygon count of the low-quality models is comparable to the models in high-end Wii games (such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.) Even at Wii quality, the game still looks amazing.

Also, I may as well contribute to the "computer specs" discussion.

I think Wreck it Ralph bought his PC at a high price. It can easily explain why it holds up today.

I think most PCs released within 1-3 years should be able to play the game smoothly. I bought mine back in what, 2006? Sure it isn't super powerful but at least it passes minimum and edges into recommended lol.

My desktop has the following specs:

Windows 7 (64-bit)
AMD Phenom II X3 720 (2.8 GHz) Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 520 Graphics Card
8 GB of RAM

Those are similar to Wreck-It-Ralph's specs, so anything he's said about how well it runs would also apply to me.

I bought it in November of 2011 (essentially 14 months ago,) and it only cost about $511 (Which was pretty dang cheap for a good pre-built desktop back then.)

Nowadays, getting a desktop with the specs I have should cost less than $500.

I bought it in November of 2011 (essentially 14 months ago,) and it
only cost about $511 (Which was pretty dang cheap for a good pre-built
desktop back then.)

I wonder how much WiR spent in 2008. Probably 2x more. O.O

Mine was built from the ground up, so the total price is something I can't even remember anymore. I had it rebuilt in 2008 for about 800, then I got the Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX in 2010 for about 250 or so. It really depends on what you're going for but, you can build a computer, or buy a pre-built one, for far less than you would think. Desktops don't break the bank unless you're going for some insanely powerful thing that's completely pointless. You can build or buy a good one for under 1,000.

Mine was built from the ground up, so the total price is something I can't even remember anymore. I had it rebuilt in 2008 for about 800, then I got the Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX in 2010 for about 250 or so. It really depends on what you're going for but, you can build a computer, or buy a pre-built one, for far less than you would think. Desktops don't break the bank unless you're going for some insanely powerful thing that's completely pointless. You can build or buy a good one for under 1,000.

No they don't generally if you're building it. Hell monitors are normally the expensive bit in my opinion. But off the shelf however it is silly considering my PC back in 2007 in cases didn't cost much more than a prebuilt equivalent today.

Edited by DarkOverord

So I went to the slot machine thing and got something (I don't remember what it was; I think it was titanium frame or something, which makes crashes slow you down less). So is this a permanent bonus that I will have forever on all characters? Is it something I have to equip? Where can I see the bonuses I've "unlocked"? None of this was really explained by the game or in the manual :P

So I went to the slot machine thing and got something (I don't remember what it was; I think it was titanium frame or something, which makes crashes slow you down less). So is this a permanent bonus that I will have forever on all characters? Is it something I have to equip? Where can I see the bonuses I've "unlocked"? None of this was really explained by the game or in the manual tongue.png

Everything you get from the slot machine before the race, will ONLY be used during that race, and you don't need to equip anything ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

So I went to the slot machine thing and got something (I don't remember what it was; I think it was titanium frame or something, which makes crashes slow you down less). So is this a permanent bonus that I will have forever on all characters? Is it something I have to equip? Where can I see the bonuses I've "unlocked"? None of this was really explained by the game or in the manual tongue.png

As Jango said, the "bonuses" that you get from the slot machine are automatically activated when the race starts, and only last for the duration of that race.

If you use the slot machines that can be unlocked in the World Tour mode, any bonuses you get from it will be activated whenever you start a race.

It's also kinda neat that you can even use the slot machine (and get bonuses) while doing online matchmaking games.

For example, I recently did a matchmaking race on Ocean View where one of the other players got a "start the race with a drone item" bonus. That player used the drone as soon as the race started, it hit me, and it knocked me into the nearby pit before I had a chance to do anything. It was hilarious!

• Thumbs Up 1

S0L posted this over at Gaf, I don't think he'll mind if I post it here too, though it's not really new information.

It's coming, we've got versions in test with SEGA at the moment so we're quite far on with it.

Can't really say much on this yet, but it's something that's very much in discussion!

This one isn't straight-forward as the whole interface is designed for 16:9 and can't simply be scaled. Hence
the letterboxing. It's unlikely to change, sorry!

---
S0L
---

Lately in the PC version, the loading screens only last a few seconds tops, so if I win something in the slot machine mini-game, I sometimes won't get to keep it. 

Sorry guys, realise I've been everywhere but here, so I figured I'd drop in :P

You upgraded your PC with different components. Therefore it doesn't count.
 No, not most. If any desktop (which most do) uses Intel HD Graphics as its graphics card, it will struggle to play modern games. Intel HD isn't designed to run these games.

We've optimised the PC version like you would not believe. One of the things we've spent time doing is specifically looking at performance on Intel HD chipsets (both 3000 and 4000) as these are used throughout Intel's UltraBook range, which... we also support with touch and tilt controls throughout the game.

So you should still get reasonable performance on these, though you'll likely need to drop the resolution. If you are seeing performance issues, right now you should also run Full-screen and enable V-Sync. We've got an issue we're fixing which means we can actually swamp GPU drivers with too many frames which then falsely slows the game down... That's not something we're used to...!

On a sample laptop we used with an i3 and HD3000 graphics, we are easily above 20fps with the resolutions at 720p with some of the settings shifted to medium. Once we've solved a few kinks, we'll get a PC demo out so folk can try performance out, it's probably better than you expect mind!

Lately in the PC version, the loading screens only last a few seconds tops, so if I win something in the slot machine mini-game, I sometimes won't get to keep it. 

We actually *extend* the loading if you have coins left to spend and haven't attempted to use them. The other nice thing about the PC version is extremely low loading times. You will get the item, but once we win we let the loading finish around 3 seconds after the prize box shows up.

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey S0L I was just wondering something.

The Vita version, is it literally the exact same version as the PS360? Only well... I just did something on it that I didn't think was actually possible.

I beat expert traffic attack on Sonic Heroes, on my first go... with over 15 seconds left on the clock!?

When I beat it on the PS3 version, I don't think I had very long left, no way was it 15 seconds. Also, whilst I have the experience of the PS3 version behind me, this mission went from being the hardest to the easiest.

I was playing as Vyse and I think I was using his handling mod, it just seemed so easy, even the blue cars, they were so easy to dodge, they didn't seem to be stationary and then move to block you, they were slowly moving and I literally just went in the opposite direction to them and could pass them with ease.

Does the Vita version have a lower difficulty for traffic attack? Or am I just getting a lot better at the game? It's just that I was amazed when I beat it and saw how many seconds I had left, just didn't think it was possible to get that kind of time. I even crashed once or twice.

I just beat expert Classic Samba as Knuckles with his handling mod (same as I did with the PS3 version) this felt the same in terms of difficulty, and the waves were definately the same. But the Sonic Heroes track just felt so much easier on the Vita version.

Hey S0L I was just wondering something.

The Vita version, is it literally the exact same version as the PS360? Only well... I just did something on it that I didn't think was actually possible.

I beat expert traffic attack on Sonic Heroes, on my first go... with over 15 seconds left on the clock!?

When I beat it on the PS3 version, I don't think I had very long left, no way was it 15 seconds. Also, whilst I have the experience of the PS3 version behind me, this mission went from being the hardest to the easiest.

I was playing as Vyse and I think I was using his handling mod, it just seemed so easy, even the blue cars, they were so easy to dodge, they didn't seem to be stationary and then move to block you, they were slowly moving and I literally just went in the opposite direction to them and could pass them with ease.

Does the Vita version have a lower difficulty for traffic attack? Or am I just getting a lot better at the game? It's just that I was amazed when I beat it and saw how many seconds I had left, just didn't think it was possible to get that kind of time. I even crashed once or twice.

I just beat expert Classic Samba as Knuckles with his handling mod (same as I did with the PS3 version) this felt the same in terms of difficulty, and the waves were definately the same. But the Sonic Heroes track just felt so much easier on the Vita version.

Vita version was retuned following quite a lot of feedback on a number of forums :P

We also tuned it down as it is a little trickier to control  on the Vita, smaller sticks lead to more twitchy handling, plus you don't have full analog control over the gas and drift.

So if you're good and you used to the 'harder' version, you will likely find the Vita one easier. One advantage of the delayed launch, see also the PC version which has new tuning too (and this tuning will be making it's way console-wards shortly).

In summary then, yeah :P

---

S0L

---

So in the next patch, is it likely that the console versions will be tuned down a tad to match the PC/Vita difficulty?

Nevermind, just more or less noticed that you said it will.

S0L any word on a few things...

1. Soundtrack?

2. Collision issues online? Really want this sorting if I'm holding such a big tournie for it, SEGA Forums held their version and it was a mess.

3. Heard someone mention you won't ever be creating new levels as DLC, can't remember who but say it isn't so! ={

• Thumbs Up 1

S0L any word on a few things...

1. Soundtrack?

2. Collision issues online? Really want this sorting if I'm holding such a big tournie for it, SEGA Forums held their version and it was a mess.

3. Heard someone mention you won't ever be creating new levels as DLC, can't remember who but say it isn't so! ={

1. We had all manner of talks about it, but it's currently gone a little quiet. Nothing unusual in that, sometimes things take a little time whilst various avenues are explored :P

2. Console updates are in with SEGA at the moment being QA'd. Not got a timeline on this, but it's being worked on.

3. This is very likely to be true. New levels are quite art intensive, they literally take months to build, especially as they're certainly not just simple circuits. Right now there are no plans to add any extra levels to the game purely due to the expense involved. Sorry!

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

1. We had all manner of talks about it, but it's currently gone a little quiet. Nothing unusual in that, sometimes things take a little time whilst various avenues are explored tongue.png

If possible, please, please, please keep the looped intros in the stage themes!

Using Burning Rangers' Burning Depths theme as an example here, but the short build-up before going full blast with the music really sells it for me. ;w; Instantly brightens up my day.

• Thumbs Up 5