Awoo.

The Gaming Rumors Thread: Nintendo BG&E2? Resi 7? Prey 2... again!?

Patticus

So, can we like, have Kingdom Hearts III now?

*laughter* No. Square and Disney are too focused on working on several handheld KH spinoffs to care about actually making your precious console sequel. *more laughter*

So, can we like, have Kingdom Hearts III now?

No. You will have your FFXIII-3 and like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, it's very likely that KH3 could've caused this supposed cancellation or is at least coming soon.

Beneath the spoiler is evidence from KH3D's end credits. View at your discretion.

The ending credits to Kingdom Hearts 3D read: "This leads to Kingdom Hearts..."

Followed by images of a few of the trios and then...

iiioc.png

Note the light shaped like roman numeral III.

Edited by Mega

Actually, it's very likely that KH3 could've caused this supposed cancellation or is at least coming soon.

Yes, they cancelled a big investment and scrapped a ton of assets from a project that was also meant to be the foundation of KH3's development to start another huge, costly project from scratch right now and have it come out soon.

(I'd make a cranky remark about this being typical Square behaviour but FFXII and FFXIV have proven otherwise)

I doubt another spinoff title for kingdom hearts will be made before 3 unless Birth by sleep Volume 2 is real. But considering Verses was in development hell, They probably took a few things from that game for KH3 if this is true. I'd think a HD collection would be released before 3.

New rumor time!

Rumour – Assassin’s Creed III to spawn extensive DLC, “season pass”?

An alleged GameStop leak has apparently outed serious DLC plans for Assassin’s Creed III.

Kotaku has received an image of what is said to be a message circulated to GameStop employees, as a thank you for meeting pre-order goals:

b8QI5.jpg

The letter states Ubisoft is busy “creating a complementary development team that will begin work on post-launch episodic content”.

Employees are asked to inform customers of a “season pass” on Assassin’s Creed III DLC, which will presumably give access to all DLC released during a set period of time. Interestingly, the pass is mentioned as an additional pre-order item, rather than appearing as a free bonus with pre-orders or special editions.

Both Brotherhood and Revelations received one major post-launch DLC pack – The Da Vinci Disappearance and the Lost Archives respectively – but otherwise DLC for the series has been largely contained to multiplayer expansions and launch day bonus content.

Assassin’s Creed III is due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at the end of October, and will arrive on PC before the end of the year.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/23/rumour-assassins-creed-iii-to-spawn-extensive-dlc-season-pass/

I don't quite know what to make of this, but it sounds like they've got a ton of DLC planned if season passes are going to be required to keep track of things.

I simultaneously do and don't like the sounds of this; on the one hand, more content! But on the other, less money in my bank! But we don't know yet if it's true, so... yeah.

So Retro has been in deep devolopment on a Banjo and Kazooie title even though Nintendo doesn't have Rare? Yep, totally believable.

And no, I would not want this to happen. As much as I loved Banjo Kazooie (hell, I'm one of the few people who really liked Nuts and Bolts) Nintendo is not one I would want to develop or own Banjo and Kazooie.

If they were developing, Nintendo does have charm, but just because Kid Icarus Uprising (which wasn't really made by Nintendo) had wacky writing, doesn't mean Banjo and Kazooie would. The jokes and witty writing in the Banjo Kazooie games, there's no way Nintendo themselves could re-create such charm that the B&K games had. Writing has never been Ninty's strong suit, and in a game that is almost despondent on the writing and characterization, it is desperately needed.

Also you know how much they love to experiment with games, people could be wishing for another 3D Platformer, and Nintendo could for all we know, change it into an RPG.

Now say if they give it to another developer, say Retro. Alright, Retro does the game, it's 3D, has the B&K charm, and overall it's a wonderful and witty game. Okay, so when are we gonna see the next one? Because you all know how much Nintendo loves to run on Valve time with some games. When was the last new Starfox, 7 years ago? Last 2D Metroid? 10 years ago. How about F-Zero? Hell even though Kid Icarus just returned after 25 years, how many years before we even see hints of a sequel? Or the next Luigi game after Dark Moon?

Point is, I just don't want Nintendo to own or develop Banjo and Kazooie, because even if they do come out with an open-world 3D Platformer like the good old days of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, what will they do next? Throw it in the vault and open it up 10 years later, or start milking the franchise? I only see bad bad things in the future if they own Rare/B&K.

Speaking of which, why waste so much money, buying back a company that is doing horribly. Rare is shit nowadays, all of the good developers/artists have left, and to use so much money for a company on one game that may or may not be good, is just not worth it.

But this is a rumor, and I assume that Nintendo is smart enough to not do this. And why now? Why not 10 years ago after they first sold them, or after Nuts and Bolts came out? Just seems so bad and fake to me.

This post is just...pure wank.

"I don't want Nintendo to develop a new Banjo-Kazooie because it'll be bad but if it is good I don't want them to do it because there won't be two of them."

Yeah, because we're getting tons of Banjo-Kazooie games now. Nintendo would do that shit right, and you fucking know it. Also, just buy the IP. Rare is shit now.

*laughter* No. Square and Disney are too focused on working on several handheld KH spinoffs to care about actually making your precious console sequel. *more laughter*

mrgy1.jpg

When are people going to learn what the hell an actual spin-off is? Mario Kart is a spin-off, Kingdom Hearts titles without a roman numeral in there name are not spin-offs. A spin-off would be if they took the Command Board and made it into a Fortune Street game involving only Kingdom Hearts characters, or something like Chocobo Racing except with WowMeow riding on roller skates instead of everyone's favorite giant chicken.

Anyway, as for the Rare thing. I still do wish Nintendo would take them back sometime because, they'd be able to straighten them out. Microsoft doesn't do anything for Rare.

No. You will have your FFXIII-3 and like it.

spf9c3.jpg

Edited by Crow T. Robot

New rumor time!

http://www.vg247.com...lc-season-pass/

I don't quite know what to make of this, but it sounds like they've got a ton of DLC planned if season passes are going to be required to keep track of things.

I simultaneously do and don't like the sounds of this; on the one hand, more content! But on the other, less money in my bank! But we don't know yet if it's true, so... yeah.

If majority of the (rumored) DLC is single player, then I'm all ears. If not then I would see this season pass as a waste.

Yeah, because we're getting tons of Banjo-Kazooie games now.

I like how this has been the main defense reply on many sites whenever someone says they wouldn't like this rumor to be true. Odds are even if they were still making Banjo and Kazooie games we'd only be getting another one probably just this ear or the next. B&K wasn't a franchise that milked itself, we'd be seeing games every couple of years.

Nintendo would do that shit right, and you fucking know it.

Please elaborate on how they would "do that shit right" and how I "fucking know it". Take your time though, I've got plenty of it.

In other news, There's a rumor going around that developers are moving their PS Vita games to the Wii-U, due to poor sales.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/07/rumor-ps-vita-projects-being-moved-to-wii-u/

Sounds extremely fake, but what's your $2

...I would say 2 cents but I can't find how to make the cent emoticon right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno about developers moving development of games to the Wii U specifically, but them cancelling Vita titles or at least changing the field of focus is a fact that's been known of for some time now. The post-release results on Vita's part have been nothing short of disappointing and considering Japan's sales rose only by a slight amount when a port of a four year old game was released, the Vita really, really doesn't have a lot going for it. The same was happening to the 3DS for a while where developers didn't want to make games for it until it got a big enough of a base, and where-as that one quickly recovered from it's launch fallout, the Vita blew all of its fuel in the starting gear and has been sulking on ports and only one relatively good game for the past few months.

mrgy1.jpg

When are people going to learn what the hell an actual spin-off is? Mario Kart is a spin-off, Kingdom Hearts titles without a roman numeral in there name are not spin-offs. A spin-off would be if they took the Command Board and made it into a Fortune Street game involving only Kingdom Hearts characters, or something like Chocobo Racing except with WowMeow riding on roller skates instead of everyone's favorite giant chicken.

It was a joke.

applecontroller.png

With a revenue of over a 100 billion, legions of adoring fans and an iOS empire that dominates the mobile market, Apple isn't a company anyone wants to go up against. That's why Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo might be eyeing a recently published patent with worry.

Filed in March and

published today

, the patent GR has discovered lists various inputs and interactions between iPhones, iPods and Apple TVs, including FIG. 6, which "is a schematic of a video game controller for the standalone media player of FIG. 4 or a video game system".

FIG. 4 is an Apple TV, which could easily become a video games console with an upgrade, and technically already can play iOS games over airplay. Currently, core gamers don't take the platform too seriously due to the lack of buttons that severely limits gameplay.

The controller is also shown to be able to connect to an iPhone/iPod Touch and presumably will be able to connect to an iPad if it ever becomes real. Connection is shown to be wireless, using Radio-frequency identification (RFID) and NFC tags, rather than the cable depicted.

appleclassiccontroller.png

If the controller does become a reality, it'll likely have a few design tweaks to stop it looking identical to the DualShock, but any type of physical controller from the industry behemoth would send ripples through the gaming world.

Figures this belongs in here, not the other topic I posted it in tongue.png

Source: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/apple-patents-dualshock-style-game-controller-14241

Apple Patents Dual-Shock-like controller

Edited by LunarEdge

In other news, There's a rumor going around that developers are moving their PS Vita games to the Wii-U, due to poor sales.

http://gimmegimmegam...moved-to-wii-u/

Sounds extremely fake, but what's your $2

...I would say 2 cents but I can't find how to make the cent emoticon right now.

Hah. No third party publisher who desired to stay in the business for long would even consider moving a Vita game to WiiU. The very first option would be Vita+PS3, then every other platform (iOS especially), then WiiU. Speaking from a technical and cost-effective sense, mind you.

btw, Alt + 0162

Oh boy

Rumor: Wii-U Smash Bros to focus on Modern Nintendo, 3DS Smash Bros. to focus on Retro Nintendo

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-next-smash-to-be-a-retro-throwback

We have just gotten some information from an anonymous source that claims they saw some of Sora Ltd.‘s work thus far on the next Super Smash Bros. The one they specifically looked at was the 3DS version, which-if this is to be believed- will be called Super Smash Bros. Memories. The alleged core difference between the games is that this one will focus on old properties, while the Wii U game will emphasize modern characters. If you have both games, all characters and stages can be used in either one.

The characters for Memories mentioned include Donkey Kong Jr., Ridley, Pac-Man, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Dig-Dug, and Stanley the Bug Man. The source claims that Super Smash Bros. Memories will be released holiday of next year, but gives no word on the Wii U game. The letter can be found

Hi Zelda Informer,

The main idea behind the two upcoming Smash Bros. titles is that of “Retro meets Modern” and that one of the games will be focused on classic retro Nintendo IPs while the other features series from the modern era of Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS. Characters and stages in both games will be available close-platform but we were not briefed on specifics as of yet.

Saturday, we were briefed on the “retro” title, currently planned to release on 3DS next Holiday. Here is the information discussed including the title, Super Smash Bros. Memories, and a few of the characters we were shown sketches and #D models of:

大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ思いで

Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Omoide

Super Smash Bros. Memories

CHARACTER

ドンキーコングJR. Donkī Kongu Junia

(ドンキーコングJR. Donkī Kongu Junia)

Donkey Kong Jr.

スタンリー Sutanrii

(ドンキーコング3 Donkī Kongu Surī)

Stanley

マッハライダー Mahha Raidā

(マッハライダー Mahha Raidā)

Mach Rider

リドリー Ridorii

(メトロイド Metoroido)

Ridley

-“We have decided to redesign Ridley with his NES incarnation in mind. In the original NES Metroid, Ridley’s sprite was only slightly bigger than Samus’, allowing us to create a playable Ridley close to the size of Koopa (Bowser)”

鷹丸 Takamaru

(謎の村雨城 The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

Takamaru

-“We are hoping Takamaru’s inclusion in NintendoLand will allow for an easy transition of the character to a North American audience”

パックマン Pakkuman

(パックマン Pakkuman)

Pac-Man

ディグダグ Dig Dug

(ディグダグ Dig Dug)

Dig Dug

I hope I was able to provide you with an exciting sneak peek into the development world of our upcoming titles. Please look forward to them.

Hmm, doubtful but it does sound like something Nintendo (or Sakurai) would try to do.

I'm not entirely against the SSB4 idea, but I'm not thrilled with the character selection. I hope (and expect) it to be fake.

If this is true, I hope Nintendo would be nice enough to let the Modern characters be DLC in Memories, and vice-versa.

I wonder why they're going with the name Dig Dug, when his name is Taizo Hori, but the excess of Namco characters seems a bit foreboding.

Though I think I'd actually like to see something like this, as long as those who don't have both version have the option of obtaining exclusive characters by DLC, like what Xenos mentioned

Also I noticed that they're saying that the 3DS version is coming out next holiday, if this is legit, will the Wii U version be the same way, or can we expect to get the 3DS version a little earlier?

I like the concept, but I hope to God that it's fake.

I'd much rather prefer to see it as a spinoff title rather than being the next Smash Bros.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting idea, but I don't believe it for a second.

EDIT:

Who hates the Ice Climbers? I like them. I'm not a huge fan of the NES game or anything, but they're a neat addition and a very unique character.

Edited by Ekaje

Who hates the Ice Climbers? I like them. I'm not a huge fan of the NES game or anything, but they're a neat addition and a very unique character.
Hey now, I didn't say that. Being hated and being unloved are pretty different concepts. I don't have anything against them personally, but they were just... there. Point I'm trying to make here is that being obscure for the sheer sake of obscurity, especially in the perspective of a crossover with a repute for clashes of gaming titans, is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot.

One thing I do find pretty hilarious is that this is an anonymous source trying to make this look like a clash of generations, specifically referencing a modern and retro divide,,, you know, as if to imply Smash games aren't already about that. It's like some idiot took one look at Sonic Generations and figured "oh hey, Smash fanboys would eat that shit up!"

I find a retro/modern divide unlikely but, I do find it more than possible that Smash 3DS and Smash 4 will have different character rosters in order to differentiate the 2 titles significantly.

Oh boy

Rumor: Wii-U Smash Bros to focus on Modern Nintendo, 3DS Smash Bros. to focus on Retro Nintendo

http://www.zeldainfo...retro-throwback

Hmm, doubtful but it does sound like something Nintendo (or Sakurai) would try to do.

>Zelda Informer

I think I said enough.

• Thumbs Up 3

EA had their own segment at Nintendo's E3 conference, and it looked like they were having one hell of a partnership for a while... But it seems EA's relationship with Nintendo has deteriorated, if their lessened presence at this year's E3 Nintendo conference was of any indication, and now it seems Madden on Wii U is being gimped compared to the 360/PS3 versions for seemingly no reason. And Peter Moore has made less than kind comments about the Wii U. What happened?

Well, while helping Nintendo with its online, EA apparently got greedy. Remember the rumors that EA wanted to put Origin on Nintendo's console? Well, when Peter Moore went to Japan to meet with Nintendo, they tried to make Nintendo make the Wii U's online service Origin exclusive.

Yeah, guess how THAT turned out.

8 months before E3 and many months after this is what it was like between EA and Nintendo. Nintendo noticed that many people commended EA's online system and netcode they did for their Wii games (Madden, Medal of Honor, ect) so they asked them if they could work on contract to help build the core online ecosystem for their next gen console. EA provide a ton of consoling to Nintendo, such as how to make low-latency net code, username account systems, social networks and more. While other companies did provide input as well, EA made sure to provide the most input and support for the Wii U's R&D.

As an reward, EA received development kits even before Ubisoft, Valve or Tecmo Koei. Many of EA's studios were interested, especially Bioware who have been wanting to put their own games on a Nintendo system for ages and finally had the technical ability to do it with a Mass Effect Trilogy port and Dragon Age 3 on slate for the system.

Here comes the problem. At a meeting in Kyoto, a month or so after Peter Moore visited them, Nintendo of Japan showed EA their new Nintendo Network and Miiverse online system for Wii U. They wanted to congratulate them helping them with the support and paid them for their counseling.

This is where reportedly EA according to my friends who were at the meeting the core executives at EA got greedy. They then offered this deal to Nintendo where EA could go further with the online system adding smartphone/tablet functionality, communities, Facebook and Twitter interactions and more. Better netcode and something that would truly rival X-Box Live and PSN.

The catch? Nintendo would have to make the Nintendo Network for Wii U officially part of Origin and run Origin's interface and netcode. Ergo, Nintendo Network would be an Origin-exclusive network.

Nintendo actually did debate for a minute if they should accept EA's deal, but they quickly decided (and put their foot down) that there was WAY more harm than good doing this. Even though Nintendo Network can link to Origin and it's servers, having the core network running on Origin would provide quality control issues. For example, if EA wanted to sell some low end DLC for $50 each when realistically consumers would buy it only for $5, EA could do this without Nintendo having any say since it was their network and not Nintendo's. Also, if a rival company let's say Activision wanted to put Modern Warfare 4 on Wii U, EA could give Activison the WORST netcode and support resources while putting all their back into Battlefield 4, thus making a rival look worse than EA"s products.

These unfair business possibilities and consumer complaints on Origin for PC made Nintendo reject EA's offering for Origin and instead opted to keep the platform open to it's own internal network and able to link/patch in other networks such as Steam and uPlay.

This, like the PSN vs. Capcom incident that caused MH4 to jump ship, destroyed any momentum that Nintendo had with EA for Wii U. While EA still likes Wii U and will support it, from what I understand unless the launch titles or future titles sell way beyond expectations, EA will simply "throw Wii U bones" by putting some multiplatform games without giving them any real budgets. This means we are going to get low quality in terms of budget and manpower ports of various EA games with no soul behind them and thus the original agreement of ME3, FIFA and Madden are gimped and the developers have only that small budget to work with.

Ironically, the good thing that came out of this is that other 3rd parties praised Nintendo. This especially pleased Ubisoft, who was head over heels with the system to begin with and this move further solidified their partnership with the Big N. In a way, Nintendo lost EA and gained the entire good side of Ubisoft instead.

This also gave props to Valve, who also loves the system and since they are hard at work for 5 games in the next three years next year they will show off games for Wii U, starting with a multiplat Left 4 Dead prequel announcement for Q1/Q2 2013.

So, yeah. Apparently, EA is now butthurt and while they'll obviously still release games for the Wii U, it seems like they're only gonna do token efforts at best.

If this is indeed the case, fuck EA. They can go choke on their own money, the greedy fucks.

Nintendo made a great decision in the long-term. Origin sucks, hard, and if the rumor is true, they won a TON of goodwill with the other third parties, especially Ubisoft and Valve.

• Thumbs Up 1