Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

I like that scene, kinda pushes Venelope in the direction I expected her to go in, despite reviewers always saying she's totally different from other disney female characters, usually affixing a sentence like "I mean come on, she's voiced by sarah Silverman" she's not actually to radical a departure from the norm aside from the occasional line. I think they could have pushed her a little further.

I dunno about you but the "OWW!! Mother Hubbard!" had me in giggles.

Good old subtle swearing in kid's films.

And now, Vanellope relishes the thought of another child's death;

Maybe it's the sadist in me but I thought that part was hilarious!

Welp, Wreck it Ralph didn't get the Oscar. That went to Brave instead.

I was expecting it. It just depresses me. I'm surprised Cars 2 wasn't nominated last year. All the academy does is suck Pixar's dick.

The Academy is run by a bunch of grumpy old farts, I'm not particularly surprised. These new fangled video games are the devil's work. The film DID win the Annie Award, the Critics Choice, and Producers Guild awards, at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Academy is run by a bunch of grumpy old farts, I'm not particularly surprised. These new fangled video games are the devil's work. The film DID win the Annie Award, the Critics Choice, and Producers Guild awards, at least.

Yeah. After the best animated feature was announced, I stopped watching the oscars completely. Hell I'm starting to believe the academy is rigged more and more each year.

I don't see the problem here? Brave was beautifully animated and deserves an award for being different from the typical Disney Princess trope, it was refreshing, I mean I love WiR more, but I still feel this is just as deserving...

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see the problem here? Brave was beautifully animated and deserves an award for being different from the typical Disney Princess trope, it was refreshing, I mean I love WiR more, but I still feel this is just as deserving...

Also what if ParaNorman or Frankenweenie won instead? Their still would be Nerd Rage!sleep.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also what if ParaNorman or Frankenweenie won instead? Their still would be Nerd Rage!sleep.png

ParaNorman was the best received underdog animation of last year. If anything, that was the movie people hoped would win the most.

Brave was mediocre. Don't see much of a reason for it winning apart from it being conceptually empowering for the female gender, and while I enjoy that the execution is left bland and predictable. I think Ralph was better in every sense of the word both at captivating the audience with charming characters, interesting twists/conspiracies and a tear jerking finale. It wouldn't have been my personal pick for the Oscar since I feel ParaNorman deserved it more than any other movie, but it would have been the most likely candidate in my eyes.

I hope Pixar's animation studios hits it out of the park with Monster's University this year cause with their two latest efforts I feel like their quality has been dipping and that there have been so many better animated features that deserve the limelight.

• Thumbs Up 8

^Basically this (minus the loving WIR more bit, but you all really hate me for thinking that, anyways. lol) Both are decent movies that obviously had a great deal of work and heart put into them, and both deserve a good deal of acclaim. Frankly though, I feel like Brave had a bit more of an adult and artsy appeal than Wreck-It Ralph. It's not surprising to me that it won, at least compared to Wreck-It Ralph (still gotta see ParaNorman and God do I regret not getting to the cinema for it. It looks amazing.)

Keep in mind that it's not like WIR doesn't already have universal acclaim already, u guyses. No Oscar isn't going to stop Disney from wanting to make a sequel, no? I think the only thing to get a tiny bit mad at here is that Disney's animated flicks only seem to have a chance at getting this much recognition, even from supposed masters of critiquing movies.

Edited by SuperHighSchoolLevelAsshat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brave was just so cliche though. It was like a mix of Brother Bear and any other Disney princess movie. It was alright, the strongest points being the animation and mother/daughter relationship, but was it really worthy of an Oscar? This is proof that the Academy is extremely biased towards Pixar.

Now I have seen Wreck it Ralph (none of the other nominees sadly) and compared to Brave it was just so much better in every way! The characters were likeable, the plot was better and it had HEART. Plus there were some really emotional parts which I feel Brave tried to implement but never implemented well enough. It was all so predictable.

Anyway, here's hoping that Monsters University will be a much better film, as Pixar has been a bit shaky since Cars 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

Personally I hate ParaNorman and Frankenweenie, those movies didn't appeal to me at all (I do like Monster House though..huh..Go figure) But I honestly feel that Brave was deserving of an award if only for it's animation quality, I also quite liked the unexpected twist when the movie was setting us up for another Disney Princess adventure, I also loved the voice acting and talent in the movie it was very polished for what it was, sure WiR was ten times better, but Brave deserved to be recognized for it's good points too, I honestly think you guys just love to complain about anything and everything sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

ParaNorman was the best received underdog animation of last year. If anything, that was the movie people hoped would win the most.

Brave was mediocre. Don't see much of a reason for it winning apart from it being conceptually empowering for the female gender, and while I enjoy that the execution is left bland and predictable. I think Ralph was better in every sense of the word both at captivating the audience with charming characters, interesting twists/conspiracies and a tear jerking finale. It wouldn't have been my personal pick for the Oscar since I feel ParaNorman deserved it more than any other movie, but it would have been the most likely candidate in my eyes.

I hope Pixar's animation studios hits it out of the park with Monster's University this year cause with their two latest efforts I feel like their quality has been dipping and that there have been so many better animated features that deserve the limelight.

Don't get me wrong I am shocked that Brave I thought it was toss up between Para-Norman and Wreck It Ralph, hell even Frankenweenie should had more of a shot.

I was just saying people here would of bitched anyway if Wreck-It-Ralph lost regardless to who.

I agree with people that Brave was odd pick because the other films nominated had some unique animation and some more original ideas and giving to Pixar was very predictable. 

But to dismiss Brave completely is a bit unfair. I admit I really like Brave I don't think it was that bad as people claim sorry for going against our Metacritic/Rottern Tomato Slave Master Overlords. To be honest I could give a toss what those sites think. In my opinion Brave is a enjoyable movie I would still recommend it Oscar or no Oscar.

I think Para-Norman should of got like you said it would be awesome if the underdog won.

He is my review of Wreck-It-Ralph:

Wreck-It-Rlaph was great and it was cool see Disney taking a risk. At first I didn't think I was watching a Disney film until I saw Fix-It-Felix Jr. reminding me of Mickey Mouse and Sergeant Calhoun's facial animation reminded of Tangled as the films classic Disney moral story telling.

I glad the film managed to pull off having memorable characters and a fun story without being swamped in Geeky Video Game references every 10 seconds.

My favourite character is Vanellope just found something I really like about her character I also found her more Relatable than Ralph at times don't know why.

Vanellope for the win.

Vanellope_von_Schweetz.gif

I was really glad they managed to give Video Games a positive nod without eclipsing the either film with constant references and making the film seem like a giant Man-Child Magnet I was only Man-Child present.sad.png

I honestly think you guys just love to complain about anything and everything sometimes.

SSMB in a nutshell! wink.png

• Thumbs Up 5

I honestly think you guys just love to complain about anything and everything sometimes.

Sorry I didn't like an underwhelming movie.

Come on, this is the worst kind of counter argument to anything. I can acknowledge and see why Brave was good to some people, but I don't see why I shouldn't be of the opinion that it doesn't deserve an Oscar.

• Thumbs Up 7

Come on, this is the worst kind of counter argument to anything.

No I think she has a point people bitch on here way too much and I bitch about the bitchers bitching up a Birch Tree. sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I tell you one thing that surprised me - Brave made me laugh a hell of a lot more than WiR did, despite being quite "serious" for a Pixar film, and that's very important to me.  I also thought the characters were generally a bit more charming and believable.  So were WiR's, just, Brave's slightly more.  The only thing I disliked about Brave was that the ending was kinda meeeh.  Like,

Apparently as far as I can tell, obviously the thing that needed to happen to break the curse was simply have Merida truly appreciate her Mum, but I'm pretty sure she already did a good half an hour before the finale.  Apparently in order for everything to turn out fine she just has to cry about it as well, okay.

I think mostly people are just extra butthurt about Wreck-It Ralph because it was kind of the movie of OUR culture.  But if anyone is really surprised that the more generic but still just as awesomely made movie won among the majority of society who are not all into our video game culture, then... wake up a bit.

Also has no-one even fucking mentioned the Paperman won an Oscar yet?  Bravo to that one, very deserved, truly did something new with animation.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

No I think she has a point people bitch on here way too much and I bitch about the bitchers bitching up a Birch Tree. sleep.png

See these are exactly the kind of statements that stifle discussion more than anything and are absolutely useless observations; people bitching about people bitching. This isn't supposed to be a place for people to point out negativity or complaining about a supposition taken by a user because if you have a better argument to counter you should have brought this up by now. "Bitching about nothing" is a border on a pot kettle black scenario and is not a good basis for any constructive discussion, and it's bothersome that this is the extent to any rebuttal.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Come on, this is the worst kind of counter argument to anything. I can acknowledge and see why Brave was good to some people, but I don't see why I shouldn't be of the opinion that it doesn't deserve an Oscar.

Sorry I didn't like ParaNorman and I felt that it wasn't deserving of an Oscar either, Opinions are such a bitch aren't they?

I was merely defending a movie that got a lot of hate because a movie about Videogames didn't win, besides it being underwhelming is merely YOUR opinion in the matter, to me it was pretty captivating so you honestly can't judge the outcome of the Oscar's results when it was personal preference that landed Brave the award anyway, what makes me laugh is when WiR didn't win and people start sprouting shit like "The Oscars always suck Pixar's dick" or "Was probably rigged for Pixar to win", that's not exactly a great counter argument either, that's pointless bitching because people are mad WiR didn't win.

Funny how a fictional character won an Oscar over live actor's though, I'd feel humiliated if I lost an Oscar to a cartoon, it would feel somewhat more justified if there were more fictional characters as a selection, or if they referred to Sonic as "Roger Craig Smith" but no, Sonic the Hedgehog wins an Oscar!

• Thumbs Up 3