Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

So, I finally gor to see it yesterday (yay Orange Wednesdays!).

I quite liked it! Its no classic, a couple of scenes were somewhat cliche with dialogue a bit too on-the nose, but well, its a kid's film. That stuff happens.

Ralph destroying the car was incredibly sad, because he genuinely felt it was the right thing to do, rather than just being pig-headed. I liked that.

The attention to detail I thought was incredbile - not just the characters milling about Game Central Station, but the graffiti on the walls? They were inspired.

Sheng Long reference? Nice.

So yeah, other than I'd just be repeating pretty much everyone else. I would happily watch it again, but I don't know if I could watch it many, many times.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone have the Wreck It Ralph Hero medal that was given out for selected people at the pre-screener for sale? willing to buy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wreck-It-Ralph-Movie-HERO-Fix-It-Felix-Promo-Medallion-Medal-Pin-Lanyard-/271153185294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f21fd420e&_uhb=1 That's one there.

Anyway, I've not seen anybody notice they called Eggman 'Robotnik' at the meeting at the very start of the film, just at the mention of snacks once it ends.

Thought it was a pretty nice little addition...

So I got Wreck-It Ralph Digital Release as one of my Valentine's gifts yesterday. Watched the whole film myself again an hour ago. My favorite part of the movie is when Ralph was in Hero's Duty. Hero's Duty is obviously one of the newest games in the arcade, and it's in high-def so Ralph has never in his life experienced something in such amazing detail. Ralph was scared out of his life and was doing crazy things in that scene that made me laugh so much.

rvGqT04.png

So is it just me or have Disney missed a trick with the merch side of this film.

I was in the disney store today and there was hardly anything, there was a ralph action figure, felix plush and action figures of the sugar rush cast.....that's it....

I know it would have probably been a nightmare to make toys of the licensed characters but surely they'd have sold well enough to justify the hassle. We'd all have gone apeshit over a wreck-it  ralph branded sonic figure, wouldn't zangeif, bowser and q8bert etc figures also have done well?

just think it's fitting that a lot of people are complaining there's too much sugar rush stuff in the movie and that's all they seem to be selling..

Mattel has a rather wide selection of figures and plushies and board games and all kinds of shit, judging from what I've seen over here. I can see the criticisms about too much Sugar Rush (like the movie lol), but it's not like those franchises you listed don't have merch already (Q*bert less so).

There's so much Sugar Rush that the film in Japan is called 'Sugar Rush'...which is actually a more appropriate title for the film which can be considered unfortunate when Wreck-It Ralph is supposed to be the main focus.

The poster looks neat, though:

Wreck-It-Ralph-Japanese-Poster.jpg

Why does Q*Bert look so angry, though.

This song is most likely going to be overplayed in Japan when Sugar Rush comes out...

The full music video will be released when Disney's Sugar Rush comes out there.

Wow, I did not expect to enjoy the film quite so much. I was a bit dubious about the potential potty humour after seeing the trailer, but it was infrequent and in context didn't annoy at all. Vanellope didn't get on my nerves either. I thought I'd be disappointed by how little Sonic showed up as well, but I actually found the way he popped up here and there really amusing. On to more spoiler-y stuff...

The criticisms I do have pretty much align with other members', in that Sugar Rush, with its candy-filled world and frequent product placement, could make it easy to forget that this was set in the video game world. I did find the use of the Mentos and Oreos quite fun though. As for the main cast, I thought they were handled really well. I particularly liked Calhoun and her 'tragic back story'. XD It would have been nice to see more of the other video game characters in general, but perhaps they'll be a bit more involved next time (assuming the sequel happens of course)

Oh, and I lol'ed when Candy told Ralph he was going to throw him in his 'Fungeon'. For some reason it just sounded a bit dodgy... =P

Seen it for my Birthday with a bunch of friends yesterday and was giddy as fuck at all the video game references, so much so I kept nudging my friend and pointing shit out.

As for Sugar Rush, It was honestly my favourite part of the movie, and I thought the story and plot twist (and the tear jerking moments) were great and has marked this movie my favourite Disney movie (and movie, actually) to date, I never thought a CGI Disney movie could knock Treasure Planet from the top spot for me but this movie just blew me away.

I don't care how you go about it, but if you haven't seen this movie yet, Do so because it is freaking amazing.

Now the long and painful wait for a UK release on DVD... *sigh* 

• Thumbs Up 1

Are Blu Ray regions locked, I forgot? The movie releases on Blu Ray March 5th, for American audiences (it's already available digitally on services like Amazon Instant video).

Are Blu Ray regions locked, I forgot? The movie releases on Blu Ray March 5th, for American audiences (it's already available digitally on services like Amazon Instant video).

No I don't think Blu-Rays are region locked? Oh wait I think they might be, but if you play them on a PS3 then you don't have to worry really do you?

Also something I noticed about the box artwork between Blu Ray and the HD download now artwork..

5188QIJC2vL._SX500_.jpg

wreck-it-ralph-blu-ray-box-art.jpg

His face looks awful on the Blu Ray box... Hopefully it's just placeholder/old art and they replace it with this

Wreck-It-Ralph-Blu-ray.jpg

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter

I don't get it, why is his face different? Why did they do a UK Kirby on him for a different box? Were they trying to make the retail version look 'cooler' somehow by making him look more determined and confident? I don't get it.

They modified Sonic's appearance before too. Could be that they just bothered to update one version and forgot/didn't feel like doing the next.

I don't like that they're STILL pushing all the cameos as main characters on the home release cover geez.

The rhino guy was such a distant reference I actually thought he was an original character before I saw the movie.  When I got to the end and walked out and saw the poster again I was like "wait I don't even remember seeing him why the hell did HE get a poster spot."

• Thumbs Up 2

I might just buy the blu-ray here, then import the japanese version, because that'll surely have all the Sugar Rush characters on it, and main focus characters on it.

.... Just noticed that the Blu-Ray cover DOESN'T have anyone from Hero's Duty on it! Not even the Commander! 

Wreck-It-Ralph-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

What the shit is this!? Why are characters like Sonic and the Rhino dude IN FRONT of the main cast!? Also like how the Commander is just shoved into the back, despite holding a prominent role in the movie.

No sign of King Candy or the Sugar Rush cast either, despite it being 3/4 of the movie...

This is the 3D Blu Ray pack by the way.

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to bend the current discussion of DVDs and Blu-Rays a bit but I just watched this movie for the second time yesterday and figured I'd leave my input.

In early 2012, I saw a post on tumblr floating around about up-coming Disney films and I knew Wreck-It Ralph was going to be one I'd have the most anticipation for, despite little to no information going around about what it'd be about. There was something captivating in the title itself. The design and overall catchiness of the name just really got me hyped. And then some months later the first trailer came out and I saw some familiar faces in popular game franchises, I was so stoked. It was like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" to me, but with video game characters and references instead.

When the premier date was finally released for November, I was a little disheartened, because I knew I wouldn't be in the US anymore, and Sweden's premier date was about three months later. Sure, three months didn't sound that bad at the time. But when Wreck-It Ralph hit the movies in the US, I really had to be wary of spoilers since tumblr is chock full of them. Unfortunately, not even my tumblr savior saved me from spoilers.

I saw a piece of artwork depicting King Candy turning into Turbo and that's when I sort of figured "Oops this is important to the plot, isn't it?"

Anywho, February 8th rolls around and I go and see the movie that I have waited so long to see. I don't know if my input would contain any sort of spoilers, but just to be safe, I'll put it all under a spoiler tab.

Paperman was an incredibly endearing and overall wonderful short. It was really sweet, and I enjoyed the emotional conveyance without the use of voices or colours.

When Wreck-It Ralph started up, it was really unexpected. The intro felt a bit like a nervous interview. And as the movie progressed, it was really captivating. The cameos didn't hamper the quality or potential the movie had whatsoever , and I certainly appreciated that (I actually enjoyed all the little moments with Sonic in them). The story was very compelling, and each of the games introduced in the film were incredibly interesting (Sugar Rush was literally eye candy to me). All of the characters had their own sense of charm and personality, and getting to see how each of these characters communicate amongst one another is really fun to watch. Oh, and the references to certain candies and sweets from real life was a nice bonus. Gotta love those Oreo guards.

Something also unexpected is how this film seriously tugs at your heartstrings. I teared up a bit when Ralph smashed up Vanellope's kart. I honestly didn't think Sarah Silverman was so good at displaying such a miserable emotion. And then I teared up again when Ralph dropped from King Candy/Turbo's grip and cited the Bad-Anon mantra before smashing into the mentos cap on the diet cola volcano. ; ;

After watching this film a second time, I've really grown to like characters even more. I also got to wrap my head around more of the references, spot some more cameos, and notice some other little bits and bobs lying around.

Much to my dismay, and it kinda hurts to say this, but... Wreck-It Ralph in my opinion isn't exactly the most spectacular Disney film. There's a few things in the film that irk me, and thankfully it's only a few, but I expected a little more out of this movie, probably due to my long anticipation. I really wanted this to be a worthwhile film. I'm not saying it's worth watching. I seriously could watch it a third time, it's that enjoyable. But, it's not the best.

Also, Vanellope von Schweetz is some kind of loveable little shit, ain't she?

Edited by Toast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Region locked blu-rays are selective but seeing how there are only a select number of major movie publishers there is often a distinguishable pattern. Companies like Universal and Sony release almost all of their movies region-free, while companies like 20th Century Fox release theirs region-locked.

Disney falls into the former category.

I might just buy the blu-ray here, then import the japanese version, because that'll surely have all the Sugar Rush characters on it, and main focus characters on it.

.... Just noticed that the Blu-Ray cover DOESN'T have anyone from Hero's Duty on it! Not even the Commander! 

What the shit is this!? Why are characters like Sonic and the Rhino dude IN FRONT of the main cast!? Also like how the Commander is just shoved into the back, despite holding a prominent role in the movie.

No sign of King Candy or the Sugar Rush cast either, despite it being 3/4 of the movie...

This is the 3D Blu Ray pack by the way.

Uhhh, 'Rhino dude' is behind Calhoun, not in front.

The case of what characters are on the posters and stuff is how much the company was paid for in terms of the contract for using the characters, so you can guess Sega desperately wanted Sonic and Eggman to be promoted a lot (to whom Zombie calls 'Robotnik', which is nice), especially with the number of times you see Sonic in the film.

(to whom Zombie calls 'Robotnik', which is nice)

Whut?  I don't recall Eggman being referred to by name in any capacity.

Incidentally I said this in a status update but, I got a glimpse at work (I work at a small non-digital cinema) of Paperman in 2D and it actually was slightly better.  Like, you can appareciate the drawn 2D elements way more, whereas in 3D it looks less like a traditional cartoon and more just like cel-shaded 3D.

Having said that I think I'll get the 3D Blu-Ray of this (the one which comes with 2D as well of course).  I don't own a 3D TV yet but for the actual movie itself I think the 3D enhanced it slightly.  In particular the scene where Ralph is all alone in Fix-It-Felix Jr looking up at the "screen".  The 3D really made me feel as small as Ralph there and the game's envioronment huge.  So I'd hate to never experience that again.

Anyone who watched this movie downloaded or whatever on a small screen shame on you.  >8U  (Seeing it in a cinema also really enhances the punchier parts of the soundtrack, Paperman especially).

Edited by JezMM

Whut?  I don't recall Eggman being referred to by name in any capacity.

When Zombie goes "I can't do snacks next week", he calls him Robotnik.

Wreck-It-Ralph-Blu-ray-DVD.jpg

Am I the only one noticing they messed up Sonic's reflection on the floor?

Am I the only one noticing they messed up Sonic's reflection on the floor?

How do you make a mistake like THAT? O.O