Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Awww no 'Untouchable' type trophy... pitty... I enjoyed watching people cry because they couldn't get it... Muhahaha /evil.

I'm still f****** at it - Last trophy too! I almost got it in 2 tries (the closest I got was near the last part of the Death Egg robot when it goes all kamikaze on you, but I got hit by the damn LAZAR!!)! =(

Still, listening to The Prodigy on the PS3 hardrive whilst playing through E.G.G. Station Zone is pretty damn motivating, enough for me to go through 2 albums straight & a bit of Pendulum! XD

Yeah, it could still be good even though I don't think it's going to touch the classics.

I am however very happy to hear that Sonic doesn't stop on a dime when the d-pad is released anymore. That was honestly my main complaint. Hopefully it makes jumpping feel more natural then in the first episode.

If Episode 2 plays at LEAST as good as the HD version of Sonic Generations...I'll be extremely happy with that to be perfectly honest.

Edited by KrazyBean14

If Episode 2 plays at LEAST as good as the HD version of Sonic Generations...I'll be extremely happy with that to be perfectly honest.

Except without the shit Super Sonic. Damn he was ass in Generations.

Homing attack, dash pads, spring spam, multi-hit enemies, bottomless pits, warning signs, tutorial screens, green eyes, and red rings...

This game is not a Classic-style game, and there's really not a lot to justify calling it Sonic 4 other than from a marketing perspective.

What? As much as I'm probably gonna regret asking this; explain this.

multi-hit enemies? warning signs? TUTORIALS? GREEN EYES? RED RINGS? BOTTOMLESS PI- ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

For the love of God TELL me your joking.

• Thumbs Up 1

What? As much as I'm probably gonna regret asking this; explain this.

multi-hit enemies? warning signs? TUTORIALS? GREEN EYES? RED RINGS? BOTTOMLESS PI- ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

For the love of God TELL me your joking.

The others are pretty petty, but yeah, multi-hit enemies directly affect the gameplay and kind of suck. The warning signs and tutorials, if you can't disable them, are pretty distracting and I'm not a fan either, although they're not really something I'm going to complain about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Water, thats another thing this game has. Lots of night time and water.

Is that a problem? I love the night....time stages. And water is always good. Maybe sonic will finally learn to swim since SEGA keeps putting him in situations where either run on water, have tails help you out or die.

I'm hoping that you're not forced into the water in every water stage. It seems optional in Sylvania Castle, but necessary in Winter Carnival. Not a really big deal because the swimming mechanics look pretty fun, but still, I like the option.

I'm hoping that you're not forced into the water in every water stage. It seems optional in Sylvania Castle, but necessary in Winter Carnival. Not a really big deal because the swimming mechanics look pretty fun, but still, I like the option.

Yeah, I always liked that in stages such as Aquatic Ruin, most of Hydrocity, and even recently Aquarium Park Act 1, you can avoid going into the water for the most part if you're skilled enough or simply given the option to choose a diffrent path.

Episode 1 was not only technically incompetant, it was just boring. Boring visually, audibly and mechanically. Technical misgivings can be forgiven if the game was at least enjoyable, but it wasn't. It was so empty and devoid of any entertainment value that it couldn't possibly be a Sonic 4.

I hope Episode 2 is a case of not quite being perfect, but still being fun in its own right. I don't want another E1 sterile borefest.

You took the words right out of my mouth, man. While I would not say Sonic 4 Ep 1 was a bad game, it certainly never grabbed at my attention or got me reaching for the controller again once I'd played it through. I could forgive the physics and the other minor niggles so long as the game was engaging and had the fun factor... Sadly it all felt a bit hollow and lifeless, like it could have been something really good yet the proverbial quality target had just been missed.

Thus far, Ep 2 is looking to be a big improvement over Ep 1 - Uncurling seems to be fixed, as mentioned previously, and that god awful mix of art styles has been sorted (seriously, that half-assed cel shade did the visuals no favours and looked plain wrong against the backdrops). Thing is... Sega seem happy with releasing "8/10 games" of late (see Colours and Gens), and a lot of potential nigggles also seem to remain in Ep 2. While that doesn't mean the game is going to be terrible by any stretch... The lack of polish really shows up, and it's a shame when in some cases just a few minor changes and a bit of care would make an 8/10 game a 9 or better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now that I'm really paying attention...I will totally laugh my ass off if Sonic has the "better physics" only when combined with Talis...cause when he is doing it everything seems fine.

Regardless everyone is still mad jaded by episode 4...to expect people not be be "Eh", by it is not surprising.

Lets say if the released the sequel to Sonic 2006 and its was 10x better than that piece of shit in every way possible...sadly I would think until we have seen some proper gameplay footage that people would be indeed upset no matter how flashy they made the trailer.

As for me....I'll wait for true gameplay footage before I say anything....at least it looks nice.

it's a shame when in some cases just a few minor changes and a bit of care would make an 8/10 game a 9 or better.

This is primarily my biggest problem with Sonic Team at the moment, but to be honest Sonic doesn't sell like it used too...I'm sure if Sonic was selling 5-6 mil per game they could go all out.

I don't see that happening anytime soon sadly unless SEGA decided to say "fuck it" and turn on beast mode.

Edited by Voy-Boy

I might be late to the party, but...

http://blogs.sega.co...g-4-episode-ii/

Yup, more new screenshots. Once again the game looks freaking beautiful, I think if there's one positive thing we can agree on, it's that Dimps really improved on the graphics this time around. Also...

6780958970_f5bb45e134.jpg

Interesting..

Edited by EXshad

18 new stages? Does this mean that the fifth final zone will have three acts instead of two?

• Thumbs Up 2

18 new stages? Does this mean that the fifth final zone will have three acts instead of two?

Wouldn't it have 2 Acts instead of 1?

Anyone else find it odd that every episode is gonna have a "final boss", even though it's all supposed to be part of the same game? They're treating each episode like they're totally different games. I'm sorry, but Sonic 4 as a whole being episodic is total bullshit. So far, this whole thing looks like a sloppy mess, and it really shows that it wasn't very well thought out from the beginning. I'm judging that by what we're getting so far, keep in mind.

We don't know that S4E2 has a "Final Boss". All we know is that

We fight Metal Sonic in a zone called "Sky Fortress." It's not like E1 where we're getting another Final Zone Boss Rush. No one complains about Big Arm in Sonic 3, even though S&K is really "Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Episode II"

• Thumbs Up 5

We don't know that S4E2 has a "Final Boss". All we know is that

We fight Metal Sonic in a zone called "Sky Fortress." It's not like E1 where we're getting another Final Zone Boss Rush. No one complains about Big Arm in Sonic 3, even though S&K is really "Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Episode II"

Except... The red ring achievement says that after you get all the Red Rings you have to defeat the Final Foe. And the "All stages cleared" achievement also mentions defeating the final foe and watching the ending.

Sure sounds like a Final Boss to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else find it odd that every episode is gonna have a "final boss", even though it's all supposed to be part of the same game? They're treating each episode like they're totally different games.

I'd say it depends how it plays out right now. If each episode has a short break between them to set up the next episode's events (much like the break between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3) then it should work out fine. Afterall it would be feel a bit odd to end the game with a boss fight that didn't really seem all that special, even if the intent to continue the story is there...

If, however the events essentially get retconned to run together as though they're one big seamless storyline, then we have a bit of a problem (unless the intention is that the "locked on" version of the story overwrote or ignored the final bosses of the individual episodes).

Though I would find it pretty neat if the final episode included all the previous episode's final bosses and made it into one big "Final Boss Rush" of some sort.

EDIT: You could argue that "final foe" is a bit ambiguous, just saying... :V

Edited by Kamicciolo

I'm guessing: 4 main zones, one final zone. Four acts per main zone (three normal, one boss) and two acts for the final. In the final, first act being a Metal fight, second act being an Eggman fight.

I'd imagine SEGA bringing back Sky Chase zone, considering that was a pretty memorable part in Sonic 2. Since we've seen the Tornado already, I wouldn't doubt Dimps cooking up a level that uses the plane. Hopefully, it won't get shot at with lasers since I'm sure the person playing as Tails wants to actually play the final boss.

You guys know you'd be complaining if the game didn't have a final boss, don't try and pretend you wouldn't.

I think Red Rings unlocks something like an extra clip in the ending maybe? Them wanting you to beat the game once you collect all the Red Rings makes it sound like they have some surprise if you collect them all, like a new phase to the final boss or an extra ending clip or something.

I also will say while this game admittedly from what I've seen is making me more think of some hybrid between Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sonic Advance, and Sonic Advance 3 with a Sonic Fan Remix graphical style, this is not a bad thing in my eyes.

Also 18 stages... I'm wondering how that's split up and if it includes boss acts?

Edited by Agent York
  • Thumbs Up 6

I have a strong feeling we'll have the boss in the Act 2 rather than as a separate act. One of the achievements says you'll be able to beat bosses as Super Sonic.

Either that or Act 3 will be a full act rather than just a boss, and I'd prefer if it were that.

*Reads achievements*

Overall nice achievements but regarding that beat all bosses with Super Sonic achievement, It kinda implies the boss is at the end of an act instead of having its own seperate act.