Awoo.

The opportunities of a new Sonic show down the line.

VO.SUPER

Even in the game, the main story is actually just passable. A mystery murder case is a classic method of storytelling which demands the plot to interact with all characters to weed out the suspects. Persona as a whole however has always been about characterization and seeing your team (at the very least) grow into strong characters for the upcoming final battle as a reflection of how far they've and how much they have changed. I haven't really seen that in the anime outside of Rise and Yu.

And a personal peeve of mine is we have yet to see Dojima get on Yu's case for snooping around the murder case, and this was a major part of the main story.

I never said it was perfect as there are crucial things I wished they left in the Anime, but this isn't the persona topic so let's get back to talking about Sonic shall we?

What about canon? Should the show be its own seperate series or somethig that should be intetgrated with the games?

I'd prefer, and I stated it before, if it followed the games' plot so they could use the series to fix the crappy continuity in which the games are stuck...

I think the show should be it's own continuity. If it tries too hard to follow the games it will pretty much just become a shadow, or worse, overshadow the games.

Also, if it does adapt the games, it shouldn't be done in the way Sonic X did it. Sonic adventure was only 6 episodes then quickly followed by the SA2 adaptation that was only 6 episodes as well. Then came the mess of Sonic Battle. You see that? The games should not be some random arcs to be squished in the middle of a whole season. Each (major) game arc should be at least 13 episodes worth to expand on character.

Also, I'd like to touch on the subject of tone. I think this series should be a really lighthearted one, with dark moments that come in spurts, while also being heartwarming at the same time. The problem I see with a lot of the Sonic series today is that a lot of the more touching moments are very few and far between because of having to mold it around gameplay.

Even if it became a shadow, as long as it's objective was accomplished then it'd be fine by me.

Overshadow the games? I doubt it could do that, a series doesn't have gameplay... xD

On that regard, I think SonicX's approach to SA1&2 through 6eps each was a good one, it adapted the most important of the story without dragging said game's story too long, 12/13eps would most likely be too much for a single game.

About the tone, it most likely would depend of the game's adaptation, of course.

I'll just jump in and state that if the cartoon would adapt the games, it shouldn't be a random arc. Instead, it should be integrated within the cartoon's storyline (if it bothers to have an overarching storyline). By that, I mean the adapted storylines should be foreshadowed and modified for the cartoon's continuity, instead of attempting to force it into the plot like what Sonic X did.

Even if it became a shadow, as long as it's objective was accomplished then it'd be fine by me.

Overshadow the games? I doubt it could do that, a series doesn't have gameplay... xD

On that regard, I think SonicX's approach to SA1&2 through 6eps each was a good one, it adapted the most important of the story without dragging said game's story too long, 12/13eps would most likely be too much for a single game.

About the tone, it most likely would depend of the game's adaptation, of course.

Yes, but story is very important for game immersion, if the show manage to pull off an almost straight adaptation that is better received than the game's storyline, there is an awkwardness when playing the game without those better received elements. If the game and show adaptations are different enough that neither has to be a crutch or shadow then that is all the better.

To me it wouldn't matter, because a series and games are different things right off the bat.

If a series were to make very well received straight adaptations of the games, I'd love it even more because it'd show me things that possibly a remake or revamping of said games could bring to us.

What about canon? Should the show be its own seperate series or somethig that should be intetgrated with the games?

Separate canon, although the stories should be designed in a way that they would fit into a Sonic game, if they were Sonic game stories. So separate, but extremely game-like, in terms of stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see an Archie Sonic cartoon.

There have been a lot of epic storylines in the comic and it would be awesome to see them animated.

A few new short plot stories to go alongside the games' ones might not be a bad idea at all.

A sort of better introduction to Sonic & Eggman before S2-S3K's plot could be an alternative.

But not something ALA SonicX, please...

I'd like to see an Archie Sonic cartoon.

There have been a lot of epic storylines in the comic and it would be awesome to see them animated.

Yeah, but they need to make seasons more than 13 episodes per season and they need to have better voice acting, cause Sonic has a horrible reputation for bad voice acting/ annoying voices in any form of media.

I've just watched a recent interview to Sonic Fan Film's Eddie Lebron, and what I've heard from it was quite inspiring and funny in a way...

It seems Sonic Fan Film will be a "reimagining" of Sonic & Eggman's first confrontation, sort of a prologue to Sonic1.

Eggman will pit himself against the U.N. and G.U.N. while trying to conquer the world and along the way Sonic is presented.

Eddie also seemed to love Eggman06 as he was the closest to what Eggman would look in reality (which I love as well xD)

The funny thing is, just about 2/3 weeks ago, when I wrote up a first version of my outline idea of a Classics Revamping, the first part of the story, trying to fill Sonic1's scarce plot, had Eggman acting like that as well, making alusions to the Death Egg, his grandfather and him entering into conflict with U.N. and G.U.N. xD

You can see the first version of my outline here:

But that topic got locked for various reasons and I had to create a new one with a reworked outline and more gaming ideas. The "Final" one is in here:

Man, if ST were to check it out and get convinced that rehashing the Classics could be a great idea, I'd be so thankful to Eddie and his team XD

Edited by XRick

It might sound weird, but I keep imagining the Archie Comics storyline being adapted into an anime. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm sure it would last longer than Sonic X. The story is massive, even if whatever company, who animates it, abridges it. And if it's cancelled, it won't end on a great cliffhanger like SatAM and Sonic X. If not, someone in the US can make movie based on a storyline, like End Game. While we're on the topic of storylines, how 'bout SEGA makes a short for Sonic Generations, like they did Unleashed. It could be a retelling of how Sonic and Eggman first met.

James McAvoy as the voice of Sonic. Period!

Let's please keep the actors consistent, we don't need another Shadow the Hedgehog.

It might sound weird, but I keep imagining the Archie Comics storyline being adapted into an anime. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm sure it would last longer than Sonic X. The story is massive, even if whatever company, who animates it, abridges it. And if it's cancelled, it won't end on a great cliffhanger like SatAM and Sonic X. If not, someone in the US can make movie based on a storyline, like End Game. While we're on the topic of storylines, how 'bout SEGA makes a short for Sonic Generations, like they did Unleashed. It could be a retelling of how Sonic and Eggman first met.

That's the problem, the story is so massive that it just becomes hostile to any new-viewers. Accessibility is key for success, and you can barely start anywhere in the Archie comics without having to look back on older issue after older issue, etc.

Another thing, if an anime is made based off a once a month comic, then what happens if the show manages to, "catch up" to the current arc? Then we're going to have the same problem we do with anime and manga (a lot of filler), only this time the filler will have to be twice the size of normal filler arcs, due to, again, the comic being updated only once a month.

That's the problem, the story is so massive that it just becomes hostile to any new-viewers. Accessibility is key for success, and you can barely start anywhere in the Archie comics without having to look back on older issue after older issue, etc.

Another thing, if an anime is made based off a once a month comic, then what happens if the show manages to, "catch up" to the current arc? Then we're going to have the same problem we do with anime and manga (a lot of filler), only this time the filler will have to be twice the size of normal filler arcs, due to, again, the comic being updated only once a month.

Of course, you're right about the whole once-a-month thing, but we're talking about all of the series in this universe, including Knuckles, the Super Specials, and Sonic Universe. And if the animators ever did hit a stump, they wouldn't have to worry too much about filler. Instead of making previews to the games' stories, they could adapt them in between arcs. They could also retcon that adaption of SA2 found in Sonic Universe, and follow closer to the game. It could take at least 6 episodes per game adapted, and Sonic Team might interfere with some problems they find with the show, just as they did with Sonic X. Even if they do catch up, they don't have to follow to the comic's end; at this rate, the comic can go one for decades, like a DC or Marvel Comic.

Edited by superblacktigerman

Of course, you're right about the whole once-a-month thing, but we're talking about all of the series in this universe, including Knuckles, the Super Specials, and Sonic Universe. And if the animators ever did hit a stump, they wouldn't have to worry too much about filler. Instead of making previews to the games' stories, they could adapt them in between arcs. They could also retcon that adaption of SA2 found in Sonic Universe, and follow closer to the game. It could take at least 6 episodes per game adapted, and Sonic Team might interfere with some problems they find with the show, just as they did with Sonic X. Even if they do catch up, they don't have to follow to the comic's end; at this rate, the comic can go one for decades, like a DC or Marvel Comic.

Adapting inbetween major arcs is not a good idea, ever. If YugiOh and Bleach taught me something, sticking filler arcs (no matter how good) inbetween another major arc is foolhardy. Doing such introduces new plot elements and out of place situations that just makes people groan. Also, 6 episodes is not good for game adaptations, because that is probably the most bare bones any game adaptation can get; there's very little for extension and changes, making them just the same thing we get ingame only that there's no gameplay to match.

Trust me. He IS consistent. His voice is perfect. Watched "Inside I'm Dancing"?

That's not what I meant. I don't want SEGA to get anymore ideas about changing the actors, and after the Sonic X fiasco, I'm not willing to trust that SEGA won't do it.

Adapting inbetween major arcs is not a good idea, ever. If YugiOh and Bleach taught me something, sticking filler arcs (no matter how good) inbetween another major arc is foolhardy. Doing such introduces new plot elements and out of place situations that just makes people groan. Also, 6 episodes is not good for game adaptations, because that is probably the most bare bones any game adaptation can get; there's very little for extension and changes, making them just the same thing we get ingame only that there's no gameplay to match.

I guess you're right. But remember, what didn't work for YugiOh! can work for others, such as Dragon Ball Z (inconsistencies aside). Sonic has many crazy adventures in the games, but barely any of them relate to each other. And Sonic X's adaptions of the Adventure series was well done, you just have to change some things. For example, Princess Sally wasn't in Sonic Adventure(neither was Chris), and Knuckles didn't do that much in the fight with Perfect Chaos, and it was full of action. Just a thought.

I have a vision how I'd like to see a Sonic series be made, not counting a better animation studio and a bigger budget...

It'd mostly adapt the games as faithfully as possible, each game an arc of a certain saga, like the Death Egg Saga covering S2-S3K arcs.

Three to six episodes per game might suffice, depending of it's contents in terms of storyline, SonicX only didn't do better because they had dispendable elements cursing the good adaptation of the plot.

ST could use Eddie Lebron's Sonic Fan Film as a base for ideas of a good story to start the whole series as well as giving a deeper plot for Sonic1, while making it give alusions to the following stories.

Since Sonic4 is still ongoing, that'd make this idea of mine be difficult to execute, but oh well...

Sonic Heroes, too, makes the Project Shadow Saga difficult to be well fit as it barely have a plot and some of it's elements like Omega's introduction and Rouge awakening an amnesiac Shadow could likely be easily transferred to ShTH's plot.

After Project Shadow Saga they could make a new saga focusing on Blaze, Silver, Eggman Nega and the future world, bringing elements of the Rush, Rivals and Sonic06 games. Yes, it'd be a huge revamping in itself, but it's seriously needed, it's all in a big mess.

And now, here comes "fantasy" situations I'd love to see happen in a series and maybe even in the games...

- Eggman, after SA2, would see through his grandfather's history which path he should follow from that moment on and during ShTH he would finally change sides and ally with G.U.N. against the Black Arms.

After ShTH, he, Shadow and Omega would join G.U.N.as a way to atone for his past actions to the world. MeteorTech would be one of those, bringing the Riders story into the continuity.

Eggman Nega would become the resident antagonist, crazier and more suicidal than Eggman could have ever been.

- The most radical change I'd love to see was seeing Maria alive and well.

She had survived the shot and put into cold sleep alongside Shadow as a way to halt the disease's progression until a cure were found.

She'd make a shadow cameo during SA2's final part and fully enter the story in ShTH as the G.U.N. Commander's adopted daughter.

She'd give Shadow another motive to join G.U.N. as a way to protect the world she said to love so much.

For now, it's all. If I come to remember anything else I may try to post here as well, depending on what you guys may say of all this...

Edited by XRick

Sonic the OVA the Series?

Well I'd like that but probably take out that crazy byotch, Sera. But the OVA isn't like the games. It wouldn't interfere with anything if you just put Sonic back in that world. He lives on an island with a destroyed plane like some weird hobo. Civilization is out there somewhere with people (or anthros, which ever you prefer) It probably sounds weird but I liked how empty the OVA felt. Like wtf nobody is alive in this world except Sonic n Crew plus Robotnic, the mayor and his daughter.

As far as Adaptations go. I say Adapt the Genesis games. But don't touch, Heroes, the Adventures, or anything beyond them.

Although the Werehog would be pretty awesome to see in a cartoon. Maybe they can make an exception there. He gets bit by a radioactive wolf.....YES!

Edited by Dejablue

Sonic the OVA the Series?

Well I'd like that but probably take out that crazy byotch, Sera. But the OVA isn't like the games. It wouldn't interfere with anything if you just put Sonic back in that world. He lives on an island with a destroyed plane like some weird hobo. Civilization is out there somewhere with people (or anthros, which ever you prefer) It probably sounds weird but I liked how empty the OVA felt. Like wtf nobody is alive in this world except Sonic n Crew plus Robotnic, the mayor and his daughter.

As far as Adaptations go. I say Adapt the Genesis games. But don't touch, Heroes, the Adventures, or anything beyond them.

Although the Werehog would be pretty awesome to see in a cartoon. Maybe they can make an exception there. He gets bit by a radioactive wolf.....YES!

I&'d like adaptions. Though early on they'd have to mess around a bit with continuity.

Episode 1: Sonic 1; Sonic meets Eggman for the first time

Episodes 2-3: Sonic meets Tails; Sonic 2

Episodes 4-6: Sonic CD; Some filler on Eggman building Metal Sonic; Ends with Sonic and Tails flying off on the Tornado; Amy goes home

Episodes 7-10: Sonic 3 & Knuckles; At the end Sonic tells Tails he wants to go off on his own adventure for a bit

Episode 11: Sonic 4 Episode 1

Episodes 12-?: Sonic 4 Episode 2-?

After that there can be some arcs specially made for the series, too, but also adapt the later games.

Edited by MarcelloF