Awoo.

The opportunities of a new Sonic show down the line.

VO.SUPER

My biggest fear here is that the show, which just about anyone can watch, will be more exposed than the 50-bucks a piece games. If the show has Colors-storytelling? Potential fans'll get turned off immediately. At first i was gonna be steadfast and just whine that a shonen anime is the only show medium worthy of Sonic. The kind of Shonen that makes it stateside is usually simple that the kids watching will understand, but complex enough that anyone more developed will still be entertained. Someone brought up Clone Wars, though, and that writing deserves commendment. It's still cartoon-style storytelling where everything is self contained, but it takes itself seriously and manages to make you laugh without being a joke in the better episodes. That's a perfect match for the Sonic franchise IMO.

I'd rather it not get tied up with the old western canon if at all possible. Too many people still consider the old canon to have came before, well, the main canon, and if Sally Acorn and Scourge the Hedgehog are on TV, we'll suddenly have them wanted in the games.

Art-wise, an epic hand-drawn art style like the CD cutscenes would really make the show stand out, but is that feasable these days?

I agree, the common Shonen is a good idea since anime Shonen's are targetted at children. (Manga Shonen is teenagers.) So following the formula would be the best way to get the show done.

I also think that Color's styled storytelling wouldn't last very long; at the most it would be the main focus of a lot of season 1 episodes. We could expect that Season 1 would be a lot of Monster of the Week formula, but that's the burden.

I'm not sure I would mind if Sally was included in the show's story, because if Cosmo didn't make it in the games, I'm sure she wouldn't. Another thing this show should mind is to not have Sonic get into a relationship, that just causes unnecessary drama and tension that just angers fans. (Look at the comics for that.)

I think CD would be the best style if the developers wanted to explore Sonic's past. It's expressive, and certainly badass enough.

I still want Anime. Sonic is a franchaise with lot of dynamic. Epic battles and encounters. If SEGA makes the budget high we will have win. Cartoon style while good.... Wont fit Sonic nowdays IMO. And CGI is too expensive.

I still want Anime. Sonic is a franchaise with lot of dynamic. Epic battles and encounters. If SEGA makes the budget high we will have win. Cartoon style while good.... Wont fit Sonic nowdays IMO. And CGI is too expensive.

The budget is reliant on the animation studio mostly. Besides, like I said, just get one of the Sonic artists to give the Americans some guidlines, like reference sheets. Then you get your anime style while having American budgets and better direction than Sonic X.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think CD would be the best style if the developers wanted to explore Sonic's past. It's expressive, and certainly badass enough.

Thing about CD is it's very disconnected from Sonic's world and is awfully short. It'd barely be able to fill a mini series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thing about CD is it's very disconnected from Sonic's world and is awfully short. It'd barely be able to fill a mini series.

A Sonic show?

I'd prefer to see it in 2d animation, CGI is very expensive and unpractical for a TV series. Also TV-made CGI is very stiff and lacks detail, Sonic is supposed to be a fluid, seeing him running in lower frame rates would be crude.

I think it would be better if the show was american made, since we all know how big the Japanese budget of Sonic X was.

The Storylines could be like Sonic Unleashed, comedic and adventurous... with a tiny flavor of darkness but not too dark. having a few story arcs would be nice specially for seasons finales. Also have a few monster of the week episodes.

And create some exclusive villains, because Eggman being the ONLY villain in the show would be tiresome.

If I were in charge of the show, I'd bring back Fang the sniper, for him to be a villain instead of Eggman in some episodes.

I wouldn't want the developers to follow the game storylines, Shadow can be in the show without going back to explain or show how SA2 happened, maybe a couple of flashbacks so newer viewers could get what is Shadow.

If I were in charge of the show, I would ensure the show was treated as an AU of the SegaSonic continuity, and universe very similar yet different at the same time.

My biggest unlikely to come true dream is: to be in charge in an american made Sonic TV show/Movie.

Sounds retarded... doesn't it?

A Sonic show?

I'd prefer to see it in 2d animation, CGI is very expensive and unpractical for a TV series. Also TV-made CGI is very stiff and lacks detail, Sonic is supposed to be a fluid, seeing him running in lower frame rates would be crude.

I think it would be better if the show was american made, since we all know how big the Japanese budget of Sonic X was.

The Storylines could be like Sonic Unleashed, comedic and adventurous... with a tiny flavor of darkness but not too dark. having a few story arcs would be nice specially for seasons finales. Also have a few monster of the week episodes.

And create some exclusive villains, because Eggman being the ONLY villain in the show would be tiresome.

If I were in charge of the show, I'd bring back Fang the sniper, for him to be a villain instead of Eggman in some episodes.

I wouldn't want the developers to follow the game storylines, Shadow can be in the show without going back to explain or show how SA2 happened, maybe a couple of flashbacks so newer viewers could get what is Shadow.

If I were in charge of the show, I would ensure the show was treated as an AU of the SegaSonic continuity, and universe very similar yet different at the same time.

My biggest unlikely to come true dream is: to be in charge in an american made Sonic TV show/Movie.

Sounds retarded... doesn't it?

I wouldn't say it is. You'd have to be real determined to be in charge of one of those. Ken Penders determined (minus the idiocy.)

I have always been a vocal advocate for another Sonic the Hedgehog-themed TV show based on the SegaSonic canon.

Basically it could follow Sonic and Tails' adventures as they stop Dr. Eggman and his badniks. (Maybe Orbot and Cubot could fill in as the Scratch and Grounder of the series)

I always thought that the Sonic OVA hit the right tone for the series and would like to see that happen again - there is a serious story that is being told but isn't afraid to poke fun and have some light-hearted comedic moments, either.

Amy Rose, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, etc. could be reoccuring characters from time to time.

Oh, and my preference would be with traditional animation. because I want to buy some animation cels afterwards

• Thumbs Up 4

I want the next Sonic show to be 2D animated, similar to Justice League Unlimited or Young Justice kind of detail. Make a story where the threat is serious and largerr-than-life, sorta like Satam.

The possibilities are endless(see what I did there?...aw, why do I even bother?) regarding a possible new Sonic show. How successful it would be depends on how much effort they would actually put into it, and I'm not sure if SEGA would want to put too much money into this sort of thing just now. Maybe a few years from now, but not yet.

Aurora basically sums up what I would love in a Sonic TV series, particularly the tone. A serious story, but light-hearted in actual tone (i.e. the OVA, Sonic Adventure/Unleashed to some extent, and Colours to an even lesser extent since the only truly serious cutscene was the one in Asteroid Coaster). And whenever things got REALLY serious, you know that horseapples just got real. I'd also love if the action sequences were a lot like what we saw in Sonic Unleashed's opening--just pure high-speed action!

A television show would give writers an opportunity to explore the characters in ways the games haven't-- at least, in ways the more recent games haven't--and have some actual character development. There could be a character arc for Tails based on Adventure/Adventure 2, with him becoming less reliant on Sonic. Maybe they could find a way to make Amy more than just a "Stalker with a Crush". Perhaps they could un-derail Knuckles' character and make him more than just comic relief.

Random thought: One thing I'd love to see is an episode focused on Knuckles being tricked by Eggman yet again, leading to an epic Sonic VS Knuckles fight. I know there was something like that in Sonic X, but from what I remember, it wasn't that great of a fight...

Edited by ElementofChaos7

My initial thought was to pull any Sonic TV show away from the game canon as far as possible, ever since I've witnessed the bastardization that Sonic X did with the SA2 Adaption. However I've become more keen on the idea, but not quite in a way others would expect.

My idea is more in line with the Pokemon Chronicles, where the main character(Ash) is hardly seen within the series, and long forgotten characters, such as Ritchie and Misty are given episodes dedicated to themselves. Putting a Sonic spin on this idea would allow characters not seen in video games much to have their share of spotlight. Obviously, a series like this couldn't really last long without the main character himself, so it would be likely that Sonic would appear in most episodes, but not as a main character.

I'd kinda like a show focusing on one of the non-Sonic characters. Knuckles in particular would be a good choice.

American 2D animation is the best choice, good 3D animation will cost too much and it will age poorly. And animation in flash always sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a show of the Teen Titans/Ben 10/Transformers animated kind (both in terms of apperance and content) would really work for Sonic. You know, a show with a fun atmosphere but with plenty of excitement and some really dark stuff every now and then.

I'd really prefer if it were to be an Anime with a decent budget and character designs akin to those of Sonic Channel nowadays. Also, I'd really prefer if it followed the games' plot more faithfully while trying to clear away the crappy continuity in which the series is stuck.

If in the end it were to be done by Americans, at least they could follow the same tips as for an Anime.

But most of all, I don't want a new SatAM/Archie series, that's far too strayed from the continuity I follow and prefer.

Characters from SatAM/Archie could be "revamped" to said new series, making them a bit similar but at the same time different from their comic versions.

I'm sure SEGA have what it takes to make it right for once, they may just be too lazy to do it right...

Edited by XRick

My initial thought was to pull any Sonic TV show away from the game canon as far as possible, ever since I've witnessed the bastardization that Sonic X did with the SA2 Adaption. However I've become more keen on the idea, but not quite in a way others would expect.

My idea is more in line with the Pokemon Chronicles, where the main character(Ash) is hardly seen within the series, and long forgotten characters, such as Ritchie and Misty are given episodes dedicated to themselves. Putting a Sonic spin on this idea would allow characters not seen in video games much to have their share of spotlight. Obviously, a series like this couldn't really last long without the main character himself, so it would be likely that Sonic would appear in most episodes, but not as a main character.

- If it's done in traditional 2D animation, for the love of god keep it the hell away from TMS and the studio's it utilizes. You only have to see most Sonic X episodes for yourself or my topic regarding X's animation on here to see that a Sonic show deserves much greater quality animation than that.

- No Mary Sue's/Audience Surrogates please. When I watch a Sonic show, I don't want screentime and roles leeched away from characters such as Tails and Amy and given to character's akin to Christopher Thorndike and Sally Acorn. I'd love to see a show that focuses on Sonic's interactions with a variety of characters thanks, not revolving around some writer's pet.

- Include some game music? It's a cool way of providing a nod to the game series it's based upon not to mention Sonic games have awesome music anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

- If it's done in traditional 2D animation, for the love of god keep it the hell away from TMS and the studio's it utilizes. You only have to see most Sonic X episodes for yourself or my topic regarding X's animation on here to see that a Sonic show deserves much greater quality animation than that.

- No Mary Sue's/Audience Surrogates please. When I watch a Sonic show, I don't want screentime and roles leeched away from characters such as Tails and Amy and given to character's akin to Christopher Thorndike and Sally Acorn. I'd love to see a show that focuses on Sonic's interactions with a variety of characters thanks, not revolving around some writer's pet.

- Include some game music? It's a cool way of providing a nod to the game series it's based upon not to mention Sonic games have awesome music anyway.

SO you want a Cartoon version pf Archie's Sonic Universe?

I would prefer it to be CGI. Mainly because the small CG scenes in the games look so good. It deserves to be longer. The detail they put in the Models and the Backgrounds is epic.

I see what you did there, but no not really. While Archie Sonic does an excellent job of giving spotlight to the majority of Sonic characters, I also remember the crazy drama back when the comics were still in the 100's between Sonic and Sally. Lets not get into Sonic's multiple girlfriends either. I've stopped following the comics for some time, but from what I've sparingly read it seems their plot(s) have gotten much better, but they still don't follow the SegaSonic canon, which is what I prefer.

I think almost everyone would like CGI akin to Unleashed's FMV scenes. However what many doesn't assume is the reason why they're so good is because they're done in short bursts. The shorter a CGI scene is, the more detail and attention the artists can give to said scene. However, if it goes longer than that, we'll see a lot of shortcuts be used in order to save money. Would I prefer CGI though? Yeah, if only because Sonic X put a bad taste in my mouth, and it's strangely amusing that I prefer looking at Archie Sonic instead.

Sonic should really have no interest in love when it comes to TV shows. Yeah, love brings dramatic tension, but we expect that tension to be resolved by some foreseeable end. When it comes to Sonic, we have no idea how long the series is going to last, so love problems would be very tiresome in the long run, and from the success of Sonic X in the states, I could see a Sonic show lasting well beyond 100 episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

A second adaption to the games can't be all that bad, I mean yeah Sonic X was shit, but that's more because they tried to shoehorn their little mary sue piece of shit into every storyline; If a second adaption was made it should exclusively focus on Sonic and Co. and any humans added would strictly be in the supporting cast. A reason another Adpation could be good because since it doesn't have to worry about gameplay, it can focus a bit more on character development, basically it can expand on events that we already know about.

If Persona 4 can do it, I see no reason why Sonic can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually wouldn't put Persona 4's adaption in the same mold as Sonic, if only because the Anime severely rushes through P4's storyline, though understandably as the game has an insanely large plot. However, they've also cut corners in character development, such as episode 4 with Aiya and Kou and their social links, which has a really large development within the game is condensed heavily into one episode, and instead serves as a comedic episode and lacks the emotional connection within the games. Lately it has gotten better, mostly with Rise's development and they have given Yu a pretty decent personality.

Overall however, anyone who has not played the game will find the Anime's storyline to be a big giant mess, and Sonic's adaption doesn't need to be like that.

I actually wouldn't put Persona 4's adaption in the same mold as Sonic, if only because the Anime severely rushes through P4's storyline, though understandably as the game has an insanely large plot. However, they've also cut corners in character development, such as episode 4 with Aiya and Kou and their social links, which has a really large development within the game is condensed heavily into one episode, and instead serves as a comedic episode and lacks the emotional connection within the games. Lately it has gotten better, mostly with Rise's development and they have given Yu a pretty decent personality.

Overall however, anyone who has not played the game will find the Anime's storyline to be a big giant mess, and Sonic's adaption doesn't need to be like that.

P4's adaptation is not going too well? Man, and I've been enjoying the Anime so much, and I never played the game actually...

But yeah, Sonic Games have a plot that could be adapted in SonicX-like 6eps per game, no?

Well most of Persona 4 is devoted to Dungeon hopping, and the other social links, while important for unlocking new arcanas, aren't that relevant to the main story, and probably felt devoting too much to them would've dragged on and take away from the main plot.

P4's adaptation is not going too well? Man, and I've been enjoying the Anime so much, and I never played the game actually...

But yeah, Sonic Games have a plot that could be adapted in SonicX-like 6eps per game, no?

Granted I said the anime's story is a mess to anyone who hasn't played the game, I never said it wasn't enjoyable. It's pretty common for viewers to just take things how it is for most anime, but if any new viewer asks the question "Why is this happening?" the answer would be pretty hard to find without watching the episodes at least three times over or looking up a wiki. I could go on about it, but that's another topic.

Well most of Persona 4 is devoted to Dungeon hopping, and the other social links, while important for unlocking new arcanas, aren't that relevant to the main story, and probably felt devoting too much to them would've dragged on and take away from the main plot.

Even in the game, the main story is actually just passable. A mystery murder case is a classic method of storytelling which demands the plot to interact with all characters to weed out the suspects. Persona as a whole however has always been about characterization and seeing your team (at the very least) grow into strong characters for the upcoming final battle as a reflection of how far they've and how much they have changed. I haven't really seen that in the anime outside of Rise and Yu.

And a personal peeve of mine is we have yet to see Dojima get on Yu's case for snooping around the murder case, and this was a major part of the main story.

Edited by Marco