Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So uh...

I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist *shot*. I'm not sure how this stands with most anime enthusiasts, but I've always seemed to perceive it as not being able to get anymore generic than this, DX. I've been watching the original series from start thanks to Netflix, mainly because I've seen some episodes at random in the past, but I have to admit I'm extremely enjoying it, even if the spot I'm in feels a bit dull (in the episode 30's, just about out of it. I'm on 39? Maybe 40 now?).

But yeah, I was just curious what most seasoned anime viewers actually thought of the show themselves, with possible person annoyance or general bandwagoning aside; just your honest personal opinion I guess, XD. I've only watched a handful of anime, most being pretty run of the mill, like FLCL, Baccano!, and Gurren Lagann. Compared to those, I don't think this tops them, but yeah, I'm enjoying myself, XD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Over on Anime-Planet, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the one that follows the manga far more closely) is the highest rated show on average.

It doesn't get more well-recived than that. The original FMA anime is #50, and if you see how tight that list is at the top, that's still pretty ridiculously good.

In order to not spoil myself as a relatively new anime scrub, I flatly refuse to watch the original FMA anime as it's an alternate continuity. On the other hand, FMA:B is as good as its reputation suggests and everyone needs to watch this series even if they don't have an explicit interest in anime.

Hopefully my position on the franchise has been made clear. ;)

I had like the most topsy turvey time with the Anime. First I read the Manga, and then I Watched the first anime(long before Brotherhood came out), and after episode 30, I'm like "Wtf is this shit" as started to diverge, so I watched and finished out of curiosity, and I fairly enjoyed it. Keep in mind this is before I finished the Manga, I was probably a third into the manga before Brotherhood came out.

So then I saw that Brotherhood was coming out, and then I loved the shit out of it. Which anime is better is entirely up to taste, but I vastly prefer Brotherhood for its animation quality compared to the original.

Over on Anime-Planet, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the one that follows the manga far more closely) is the highest rated show on average.

It doesn't get more well-recived than that. The original FMA anime is #50, and if you see how tight that list is at the top, that's still pretty ridiculously good.

In order to not spoil myself as a relatively new anime scrub, I flatly refuse to watch the original FMA anime as it's an alternate continuity. On the other hand, FMA:B is as good as its reputation suggests and everyone needs to watch this series even if they don't have an explicit interest in anime.

Hopefully my position on the franchise has been made clear. wink.png

Eh... I'll get to FMA: B eventually, I had netflix but... fuck am I saying I can watch it over at Funimation while my elite membership is still on...

...Well Fall season can shove it, wasn't shit to watch, except Penguindrum and 2 other shows that interested me... Winter looks bleak too, guess I'll just be watching Another for Winter...

Edited by Silencer226

Awesome!! Anime!! These are the Anime I love

Slayers (All 4/5 seasons)

Hetalia

Black Butler

Fullmetal alchemist/Brotherhood

Devil May Cry

Digimon

Fushigi Yugi

Studio Ghibli

and a few more. I used to like Naruto, but I dont like it as much as I used to. And the 1st ever Anime I watched was Samurai Pizza Cats. Lol Its awesome!!! XD

I haven't seen Brotherhood, but the attitude I see toward the first series is practically bandwagon. Everybody praised it when and after it came out, but now that we have Brotherhood, the best compliment I see about it is "eh, don't bother."

Personally, I still adore the show, even if I haven't seen it in a while. I can't see myself getting into Brotherhood either when I'd rather just check out the manga.

• Thumbs Up 1

But yeah, I was just curious what most seasoned anime viewers actually thought of the show themselves, with possible person annoyance or general bandwagoning aside; just your honest personal opinion I guess, XD.

Most seasoned anime viewers now view the first series with nothing but bandwagon goggles.

Edit: D'oh. Tree'd. That's what happens when you leave a tab open forever.

Edited by ChristmasJack

I haven't seen Brotherhood, but the attitude I see toward the first series is practically bandwagon. Everybody praised it when and after it came out, but now that we have Brotherhood, the best compliment I see about it is "eh, don't bother."

Personally, I still adore the show, even if I haven't seen it in a while. I can't see myself getting into Brotherhood either when I'd rather just check out the manga.

Man was chapter 348 of Negima EVER AWESOME! I'm starting to get all gushy now!

Too bad when it comes to Negima I'm a buyfag... I've already expressed my feelings towards reading manga on screens... I hate it... only exception are manga that aren't available to buy or in Fairy Tail's case, too much effort/money to play catch up...

Man how can I forget Negima? I like that too.. I havnt read the manga though... But the 2nd series of Negima is so random... But thats ok.. I usually like random stuff.

Looking back I honestly loved the FMA series even with it's convoluted ending, however this mostly because at the time I was watching it on Adult Swim and was completely unaware that it contradicted the manga(or that there was a manga to contradict to begin with). Although I didn't expect the whole parallel world thing I was willing to accept it considering how intentionally similar FMA world's was to ours. Even the ending felt somewhat appropriate as I didn't expect the happy conclusion Ed wanted after how emotional and depression series became, also I wasn't an obsessive EdWinry shipper. That it isn't to say it was the better of the two series or that it doesn't have faults. Even before I was aware of the manga and Brotherhood I felt that there were too many unanswered questions, with the followup movie only creating more.

Brotherhood as a whole is a much more solid series however I do highly recommend at least watching the first half of the original FMA before doing so. This is because the only major issue I have with Brotherhood, the first third of the series is rushed to get the point were the stories split. While it is understandable since most people already saw the first series, for newcomer sthey're going to lose some of the emotional impact of scenes like the Elric brother's sin and Rose's conflict with her faith simply because of awkward pacing and presentation compared to the original. That said the finale is much more satisfying, though rather corny compared to FMA with an overly cliche shounen finale battle and a happy EdxWinry ending.

tl;dr : Brotherhood tells a better story but FMA tells the first half better, watch that first.

Watched The Disappearance of Haruhi, seriously fantastic movie, I swear. Utterly fantastic. I actually LOVE Nagato now, i really did dawww like a bitch many times throughout the movie.

Totally worth the TWO AND A HALF HOUR runtime (this must seriously be the longest cartoon film ever made, no joke)

Edited by Professor Jackstraw PhD
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because I was bored, and because this is sort of a hobby of mine, plus I reeeally like this song, I recently rewrote my translated lyrics for OP's "We Go"

Vid to listen along with while reading the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeuHE3jGPqM&feature=related

Lyrics:

Gold Roger, King among Pirates- Once attained all the world's offerings. The words he roared just before his death drove people around the world to the seas."My treasure? You want it- you can have it! Find it! I left everything this world has to offer there!" Now everyone is in pursuit of adventure! The world has truly entered, a Great Pirate Age!

Ohhhhhh~ You'll never stop me- hope's really got me-

Holding out for daylight's break- And I can't wait~!

Reach me Sunshine- then- WE GO!

Now we raise our flag. To the BREAK OF ROMANCE DAWN!

We're not about to sleep- we're gonna make some waves- with a Jump start!

Cause we wanna go, to the crazy brand new world-

We've got the toughness- to make sure we make it there!

You don't like us? Then say it to me!

Just being wanted- Means we're the winners! :D

And freedom is the one, and only rule that we live by~

It's just not our way- to worry away~

I'll find One Piece- and I'll be the Only-

One, with the dreaming heart- that will succeed!

My life's been like a dream- Don't wake me!

You'll never stop me- hope's really got me-

Holding out for daylight's break- And I can't wait~!

Reach me Sunshine- then- WE GO!

All of you and I. We have made it here, this far.~

Our skills have carried us to- our wildest dreams and now-

We won't leave anyone behind.

"Keep moving forward-" that's been our objective-

Since the day our dreams first began.

That bright future, that I see- it hasn't changed, not at all.

You'll never stop me- hope's really got me-

Holding out for daylight's break- my heart can't wait~!

Reach me Sunshine~

Set free, my mind~

Reach me Sunshine- then, WE~ GO~~!

WE GO!

Wish I could sing them, though I've already sent them off to the same guy who sung the song with my old lyrics, though he slightly changed them:

I feel he could do my new lyric's justice as well, if he wants to do 'em. All he really needs is a better mic imo.

In other news, I caught the last few eps of DBz Kai when they aired. Feels weird man, it being over and all. Kinda wanted to see the show tackle the Buu Arc, but it's no big deal. Might catch a few eps of GT when it airs, I forgot most of it to be honest.

And to add to the FMA discussion, I thought Brotherhood was pretty fantastic, the animation was decent and very colorful, and looks great when seen in HD, and the story was also great. I only saw bits and pieces of the first FMA anime though, but from what I saw of it I also liked as well.

Edited by Inferno

It still messes with my head how they're skipping an entire arc, and going straight to GT, I mean so much shit won't make sense to the kids watching it, and they'll miss out on Super Saiyan 3, Vegito, etc.

About FMA, yeah I agree the first series definitely had a better first half, Brotherhood doesn't really start to pick up until it diverges from the first anime so its kind of understandable why they would skip through the first half, I admit though things like Hugh's death really felt underwhelming compared to the first.

Edited by Shadic Claus

Too bad when it comes to Negima I'm a buyfag... I've already expressed my feelings towards reading manga on screens... I hate it... only exception are manga that aren't available to buy or in Fairy Tail's case, too much effort/money to play catch up...

I own all the Negima volumes released in english, including the the 2 omnibuses released by KC comics.

Man how can I forget Negima? I like that too.. I havnt read the manga though... But the 2nd series of Negima is so random... But thats ok.. I usually like random stuff.

Negima? is the different anime series, completely different from the first anime and manga. Both Negima animes are mediocre, read the manga and watch the Shiroki Tsubasa and Mo Hitosu no Sekai OVAs and be blown away by the quality of the series, even if the manga doesn't have a very impressive start up, it gets more and more epic near the end.

Just seen the newest episode of Digimon. Yeah, whilst it's still episodic stuff at the moment, I'm getting stupidly, stupidly excited for the episode after next, when Taichi comes back. If they pull off this 'bringing back the entire previous casts' thing properly, it could stand to be the most deliciously brilliant epic thing ever. I'm just really keeping my fingers crossed that they make good on the ridiculous amounts of potential that such an idea has.

Also, Naruto is out of filler (but for how long) and there's no SKET Dance this week, no Gintama next week. Why don't you just shoot me already, TV Tokyo? ;___;

On the plus side, these last two episodes of Gintama have been some of the most side-splittingly hilarious ever. Gintoki getting drunk and sleeping with six people in one night (five girls and a guy :lol: ) then trying to man up and honestly date and live with all six at once whilst keeping them secret from each other.... yeah. :lol:

Has annoyed me a bit at how the Gintama anime has been a bit over-censored lately. Although I suppose it's better than the anime getting cancelled, when what they're censoring is a guy 69ing with an inflatable sex doll in public. mellow.png

I own all the Negima volumes released in english, including the the 2 omnibuses released by KC comics.

Negima? is the different anime series, completely different from the first anime and manga. Both Negima animes are mediocre, read the manga and watch the Shiroki Tsubasa and Mo Hitosu no Sekai OVAs and be blown away by the quality of the series, even if the manga doesn't have a very impressive start up, it gets more and more epic near the end.

I didn't even bother watching the Negima anime, well I watched the second series. Neither do the manga any justice, and its a shame too, because it would be pretty bad ass once you get past the initial build up.

I didn't even bother watching the Negima anime, well I watched the second series. Neither do the manga any justice, and its a shame too, because it would be pretty bad ass once you get past the initial build up.

Edited by Edward_Elric

Funny you guys started talking about Negima. I just started reading it a few days ago. The first volume was the first volume of manga I ever bought, funnily enough, but I haven't read it since then. I actually saw the first series afterwards and I actually liked it, granted, I was 11 or 12 though. Haven't seen it since then.

The second season; that, I didn't like. It was pretty stupid imo, especially with Azuma and chupacabras. I thought it was rather annoying.

I'm only a couple of chapters into the manga right now but it sure is Nostalgic.

Some totally extremely unsurprising news:

Namco Bandai Registers Pirate Warriors Trademark in Europe

One Piece Kaizoku Musou being developed by KOEI Tecmo's Omega-Force for Namco Bandai

The Japanese software publisher Namco Bandai Games registered the game trademark "Pirate Warriors" in the European Union on Thursday. The trademark was filed in English, but Spanish is also listed as the second language.

Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine announced in September that Namco Bandai Games will be releasing One Piece Kaizoku Musou (One Piece Pirate Musou). The publisher and KOEITecmo Games' development studio Omega-Force are working on this "dream collaboration" that combines the pirate story of One Piece with KOEITecmo's Musou (retitled Warriors in English) action game franchise. As the first One Piece game for the PlayStation 3 console, the title will ship in Japan on March 1, butBandai Namco Games has yet to announce release plans in Europe or North America.

http://www.animenews...emark-in-europe

It was expected, but still good news =)

Edited by Christmas MaRCELLOF

Funny you guys started talking about Negima. I just started reading it a few days ago. The first volume was the first volume of manga I ever bought, funnily enough, but I haven't read it since then. I actually saw the first series afterwards and I actually liked it, granted, I was 11 or 12 though. Haven't seen it since then.

The second season; that, I didn't like. It was pretty stupid imo, especially with Azuma and chupacabras. I thought it was rather annoying.

I'm only a couple of chapters into the manga right now but it sure is Nostalgic.

The manga is phenomenally better then the 2 anime series released by xebec and shaft (although the OVAs produced by shaft are pure excellence). I could get into an redundant arguments and debates for hours, I am some what hardcore, but no where near as hard as KK. Actually, I was part of group that scanalated the Negima and Negima Neo chapters.