Awoo.

Plot Details

Unknownlight

I'd knew it that this topic will somehow turn into a Colors writers hate fest and people who acts like that the writers have written a bunch of Sonic games with alot of lame jokes. I've already said it many times again, despite all the jokes in Colors, (I didn't really mind them honesty, especially since RCS is voicing Sonic and he still kept in character and still manage to make Sonic sound cool) I actually think the writing is top notch and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new writers will handle a more serious type of Sonic game that isn't aim for kids. My favorite part about the writers so far is how they handled the Sonic and Tails bromance. They actually felt like best friends who've known each other for years to me, moreso then any Sonic game that came out before it.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

You want to know why? Well for FIRST (!!!!) time in my life I skipped cutscenes for Sonic game. Heck ANY game. Cutscenes were useless. The only point of majority of them was to create stupid gag/lame joke/facepalm moment.

I am not saying humor is bad. You want to see good humor? Watch Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time cutscenes. There is humor in them but they have a point! They push story forward and humor is just add-on while in Colors its oposite.

Why I hate them? Well because they wrote simple plot (that have plotholes becuase its not complex story=plotholes and simple story=no plotholes) and ARE praised for it while Adventure writer is bashed. Why? Because it felt more like Classics? I always say and will repeat Classic=/=Better.

Oh and character development. I wont even write about it. Sonic feels like complete... Eh.

And I must admit I chuckled at joke at end of your post.

Colors gets praised because it gets straight to the point with its plot, there's not ancient evil, there's no Chao Genocide, there's no fishing levels. None of that crap, now while that necessarily doesn't make it better, for someone who was tired of the MoTW plot, this is a breath of fresh air. Hating the game because it lacks a story is stupid, the game doesn't absolutely need one to succeed.

And if you stop looking at just the negatives for a second you can actually notice how many things Colors did right. The voice acting was improved greatly from any previous game before it and it gave the characters more life because of it, Sonic & Tails` act so casually around each other that it shows that they at least have an understanding about their relationship as bros. I admit the plot could;ve been better, but god Sega said they were taking it easy with the plot, plus they made it explicitly clear that it was for kids.

God, they write a few bad jokes, and they instantly must be booted out? What the hell.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it should be noted that the Japanese versions of Sonic games have somewhat different scripts from the English versions. For example, the Japanese version of Colors wasn't as heavy on the jokes/puns and Sonic referred to the Wisps as "Wisps" instead of "Aliens". I think some of the jokes that were in the Japanese version were changed for the English version. Some lines from the Japanese version were removed altogether in the English version. The Final Color Blaster was called Final Prism Blaster in the Japanese version, and so on. Most main series Sonic games feature swearing in the Japanese scripts as well. All main series console Sonic games have their scripts modified to suit the demographics of English speaking audiences. So yeah, there's the original Japanese script and the modified English dub script for most Sonic games.

On topic: I think Generations' plot will at least be darker than Colors. I just hope the English version won't be as pun/joke heavy as Colors. While I did like Colors' story, I do think they overdid the jokes/puns a bit.

I think it'll be a small picnic in the opening with just Sonic, Tails, Amy, and maybe Knuckles and Cream & Cheese in attendance. The other characters probably won't appear 'til later on.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

I'd knew it that this topic will somehow turn into a Colors writers hate fest and people who acts like that the writers have written a bunch of Sonic games with alot of lame jokes. I've already said it many times again, despite all the jokes in Colors, (I didn't really mind them honesty, especially since RCS is voicing Sonic and he still kept in character and still manage to make Sonic sound cool) I actually think the writing is top notch and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new writers will handle a more serious type of Sonic game that isn't aim for kids. My favorite part about the writers so far is how they handled the Sonic and Tails bromance. They actually felt like best friends who've known each other for years to me, moreso then any Sonic game that came out before it.

This may or may not be aimed at me among others, but in the case of the former I would like to point out that I don't think they are bad writers. I also, however, do not think that I've seen enough to call them good either. I don't feel that there was enough going on in Colours for me to really judge. Like you I am very much looking forward to how they handle Generations.

Edited by Lungo

A picnic? Well, not really jumping out of my seat if I'm gonna be honest. I hope this is not the indication that we're getting another Colors like story. I hope they at least go with an Unleashed like story, but just make sure more is happening in the middle of it instead of just letting it go from zone to zone doing whatever they have to do to save the world. There's so many characters apparently being brought into this story, I hope they take advantage of it instead of just letting them there just to let them be there.

This may or may not be aimed at me among others, but in the case of the former I would like to point out that I don't think they are bad writers. I also, however, do not think that I've seen enough to call them good either. I don't feel that there was enough going on in Colours for me to really judge. Like you I am very much looking forward to how they handle Generations.

Okay, not enough good but I do see potential in them. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

A picnic? Well, not really jumping out of my seat if I'm gonna be honest. I hope this is not the indication that we're getting another Colors like story. I hope they at least go with an Unleashed like story, but just make sure more is happening in the middle of it instead of just letting it go from zone to zone doing whatever they have to do to save the world. There's so many characters apparently being brought into this story, I hope they take advantage of it instead of just letting them there just to let them be there.

Don't really think a picnic is that big of a deal. Sonic isn't a 24-7 hero, and I like it when it shows that he actually has a normal life, yeah its nothing..spectacular, but it doesn't have to be, just saying.

I love how people are complaining about Colours story, well at least it HAS a story (a really good one IMO, it was simple and fun)...do you want Sonic Team to take the Mario route when it comes to storytelling (and no the Paper Mario games don't count, they are spin-offs).

Also the Colours writers have written a script for ONLY Sonic Colours so far when it comes to Sonic games...give them a break and wait!

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 4

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the whole "EVERYONE is celebrating Sonic's birthday" might be occuring at the END of the game?

Think about it. Say in the opening the only people who came to the picnic/celebration was Sonic's technical inner circle (Amy, Tails, MAYBE Knuckles).

Then the Time Holes appear and suck in everyone within Sonic's Universe and maybe even Blaze's dimension.

Once the game is over and the Big Bad is beaten, everyone gets dumped off at the picnic site and the Ending Credits show pics (Sonic Unleashed Esque) everyone celebrating the picnic.

Don't really think a picnic is that big of a deal. Sonic isn't a 24-7 hero, and I like it when it shows that he actually has a normal life, yeah its nothing..spectacular, but it doesn't have to be, just saying.

I think a picnic fits in well with the theme of the game with his friends celebrating his birthday and all. Also, I like to see what Sonic does in his normal life with his friends when he's not stopping Eggman plans or in action all the time.

Edited by sonfan1984

I love how people are complaining about Colours story, well at least it HAS a story (a really good one IMO, it was simple and fun)...do you want Sonic Team to take the Mario route when it comes to storytelling (and no the Paper Mario games don't count, they are spin-offs).

What ? They're spin-offs, so what ? They're Mario games. And they're made by Nintendo, with that.

Don't forget the Mario & Luigi series either.

Sorry, but I still can't grasp the idea of "spin-off means it doesn't count".

I actually hope Sonic will be 20 starting with this game. It's a bit weird to have him being constantly 15 in a series where story is there for a better reason than just making jokes (see The Simpsons).

What ? They're spin-offs, so what ? They're Mario games. And they're made by Nintendo, with that.

Don't forget the Mario & Luigi series either.

Sorry, but I still can't grasp the idea of "spin-off means it doesn't count".

Technically, the Mario and Luigi series was developed by Alphadream...and the Paper Mario games were made by Intelligent Systems. Nintendo just published those games

Also the reason why I said that the Paper Mario games don't count is because I'm talking about Mario's main titles (Super Mario Bros. SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, etc)...it's only fair to compare Sonic Colours (which is a main title) to one of Mario's main titles...and storywise, Sonic Colours wins hands down every time.

I mean lets face it, with Mario it's always 'Save the princess' as the storyline, and Nintendo saying "Oh, Mario doesn't need a storyline, it's all about gameplay" is just an excuse for them to not get of their ass and actually make a good, compelling story for Mario (like Sonic Colours), yes I know that they tried to give Mario a story for Sunshine but the jist of Sunshine's story was just 'Save Peach' again. I don't know about you but I actually want a good reason to go and have a grand adventure in my games and Mario's storytelling is everything but engaging.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Technically, the Mario and Luigi series was developed by Alphadream...not Nintendo. And the Paper Mario games were made by Intelligent Systems.

Also the reason why I said that the Paper Mario games don't count is because I'm talking about Mario's main titles (Super Mario Bros. SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, etc)...it's only fair to compare Sonic Colours (which is a main title) to one of Mario's main titles...and storywise, Sonic Colours wins hands down every time.

I mean lets face it, with Mario it's always 'Save the princess' as the storyline.

Yes, M&L aren't made by Nintendo. Paper Marios are though (Intelligent Systems being a subsidiary division of Nintendo).

"Save Peach" is to Mario what "Find the Chaos Emeralds" is to Sonic. Nothing special there.

Even then, Super Mario Galaxy has more story than Sonic Colors.

Colors gets praised because it gets straight to the point with its plot, there's not ancient evil, there's no Chao Genocide, there's no fishing levels. None of that crap, now while that necessarily doesn't make it better, for someone who was tired of the MoTW plot, this is a breath of fresh air. Hating the game because it lacks a story is stupid, the game doesn't absolutely need one to succeed.

And if you stop looking at just the negatives for a second you can actually notice how many things Colors did right. The voice acting was improved greatly from any previous game before it and it gave the characters more life because of it, Sonic & Tails` act so casually around each other that it shows that they at least have an understanding about their relationship as bros. I admit the plot could;ve been better, but god Sega said they were taking it easy with the plot, plus they made it explicitly clear that it was for kids.

God, they write a few bad jokes, and they instantly must be booted out? What the hell.

I never said Colors is bad game. Dont connect "fishing stages" with writing. The only think I didnt like about Colors was lack of 3D sections (only few of them in majority linear) and writing.

There is nothing wrong about being cartoony and/or funny. Thats why I mentioned Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter. I mean here is one of more serious scenes in Crack in time. Where Nefarious (antagonist) explains his plans to heroes. The point of the cutscene is this plan but you just cant survive it without chuckling.

You see thats my point. Some jokes can be bad or lame but I wont mind it as long as cutscene brings something to story. In Colors cutscenes were useless I mean Sonic talking to robot bosses? It felt like writers didnt have idea how to drive story and how to make cutscenes interesting. Note I am judging from Colors and for me writing in Colors was bad since 60-75% of cutscenes were focused on jokes. I am okay with 10-15% heck even 20% but that was just to much.

Acting was O.K. I hope Roger will improve but rest was great.

On topic: I think picnic will be durning credits we will hear chars, talking about past games like in SA2. Combined with fact that CGI Ending is placed after Credits in leak then its really likely.

"Save Peach" is to Mario what "Find the Chaos Emeralds" is to Sonic. Nothing special there.

So you're saying that the Adventure games (Adventure 2 especially) was all about finding the Chaos Emeralds and nothing else.

So you're saying that the Adventure games (Adventure 2 especially) was all about finding the Chaos Emeralds and nothing else.

So you're saying that Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine were all about saving Peach and nothing else.

There is nothing wrong about being cartoony and/or funny. Thats why I mentioned Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter. I mean here is one of more serious scenes in Crack in time. Where Nefarious (antagonist) explains his plans to heroes. The point of the cutscene is this plan but you just cant survive it without chuckling.

You can say the same thing about Eggman's cutscenes too.

You see thats my point. Some jokes can be bad or lame but I wont mind it as long as cutscene brings something to story. In Colors cutscenes were useless I mean Sonic talking to robot bosses? It felt like writers didnt have idea how to drive story and how to make cutscenes interesting. Note I am judging from Colors and for me writing in Colors was bad since 60-75% of cutscenes were focused on jokes. I am okay with 10-15% heck even 20% but that was just to much.

There was no plot to progress, the plot is literally "Eggman is capturing Aliens for an evil plan, Go and stop him" That's. It. Seriously what can you expect to do with that? There's nothing in that description to base a plot on, and even then some scenes went to showcase some progression such as the Asteroid Coaster Scene when Sonic & Tails find the Wisp being converted, and when Eggman reveals his Mind Control Ray and uses it on Tails, those are plot progressions. Like I said Colors barely has a plot to progress so, I'm pretty sure Sega told them to just go crazy.

Now Generations on the other hand has enough of a synopsis for an actual plot, only time will tell how they will treat it. Colors is one game, and it really shouldn't be the standard we hold them too in terms of writing.

So you're saying that Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine were all about saving Peach and nothing else.

The former, yes. The latter, more or less, it didn't have much but it did introduce Bowser Jr.

The former, yes. The latter, more or less, it didn't have much but it did introduce Bowser Jr.

Super Mario 64 is mainly about bringing power back to the castle and freeding everyone who's trapped inside by doing so.

Super Mario Sunshine is about chasing Shadow Mario, getting rid of the pollution to stop being hated by everyone and bringing power back to the island. Peach doesn't even get kidnapped until the middle of the game.

You can say the same thing about Eggman's cutscenes too.

There was no plot to progress, the plot is literally "Eggman is capturing Aliens for an evil plan, Go and stop him" That's. It. Seriously what can you expect to do with that? There's nothing in that description to base a plot on, and even then some scenes went to showcase some progression such as the Asteroid Coaster Scene when Sonic & Tails find the Wisp being converted, and when Eggman reveals his Mind Control Ray and uses it on Tails, those are plot progressions. Like I said Colors barely has a plot to progress so, I'm pretty sure Sega told them to just go crazy.

Now Generations on the other hand has enough of a synopsis for an actual plot, only time will tell how they will treat it. Colors is one game, and it really shouldn't be the standard we hold them too in terms of writing.

Never doubted EGGMAN scenes.

Good writer ALWAYS can make progression. They could make some twists I dont know but if I would have week of free time I would think of something. And if there is no plot to progress then plot is bad because its to static. Heck 06 tried to be good. And 66% of it was good (Shadow and Silver stories) but I must admit Sonic one was crap.

I hope I will change my opinion about them with Generations but from what we have now I fear the worst.

Good writer ALWAYS can make progression. They could make some twists I dont know but if I would have week of free time I would think of something. And if there is no plot to progress then plot is bad because its to static. Heck 06 tried to be good. And 66% of it was good (Shadow and Silver stories) but I must admit Sonic one was crap.

Tell me what plot can you make with just three main characters, and that little description I made? A Plot needs characters, and an engaging premise. Colors has none of that, which is why they didn't try, because you can't. Its not a matter of being a good writer or not, a writer needs material to make a decent plot, there's barely any material to work with to make a plot with.

Even the DS version which admittedly had more of a plot than the Wii version, felt tacked on, Its nothing compared to the likes of Rush or Rush Adventure.

Like I said don't judge them based on Colors, because its obvious they never intended for Colors to have a plot to begin with.

Super Mario 64 is mainly about bringing power back to the castle and freeding everyone who's trapped inside by doing so.

Bowser stole some stars get them back, and peach too.

Super Mario Sunshine is about chasing Shadow Mario, getting rid of the pollution to stop being hated by everyone and bringing power back to the island. Peach doesn't even get kidnapped until the middle of the game.

Some doppelganger is framing you, clean up island. Admittedly Sunshine did have more of a plot than any other Mario game, but its still largely unnoticeable.

Now if we're talking about Galaxy 1 on the other hand...

Tell me what plot can you make with just three main characters, and that little description I made? A Plot needs characters, and an engaging premise. Colors has none of that, which is why they didn't try, because you can't. Its not a matter of being a good writer or not, a writer needs material to make a decent plot, there's barely any material to work with to make a plot with.

Even the DS version which admittedly had more of a plot than the Wii version, felt tacked on, Its nothing compared to the likes of Rush or Rush Adventure.

Like I said don't judge them based on Colors, because its obvious they never intended for Colors to have a plot to begin with.

And people will yet again bitch about to much chars. Especially guys at retro. I repeat for now I Dont have anything else to judge them with. And their only written plot is medicore/bad. I still hope it will change with Generations tho.

SM64, yes...Sunshine had Shadow Mario and the pollution problem.

Back to Topic: There better be cake at that picnic...and the cake is NOT a lie.

Edited by KrazyBean14

And people will yet again bitch about to much chars. Especially guys at retro. I repeat for now I Dont have anything else to judge them with. And their only written plot is medicore/bad. I still hope it will change with Generations tho.

I hardly count 6 characters as too many. fine, but saying that Generations is crap because Colors is crap is really shortsighted.

I hardly count 6 characters as too many. fine, but saying that Generations is crap because Colors is crap is really shortsighted.

I never said Generations story will be bad. I just wrote what I expect from Colors writers I never said it will be crap.

About chars. well with current cast its hard to just include 6. It was good in Adventures. But 8-9 should be enough (Sonic, Tails, Knux, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Silver, Blaze and maybe Amy as playable)

Edited by HUNTER297