Awoo.

Anti-Amy Rose petition

SHAX Hedgefox

Basically what I said in the post above. I think its weird though that Sonic openly dates other women and Amy remains ever hopeful that he'll take her as a serious girlfriend option but I can only remember one girl she's ever fought over Sonic and that was Fiona. But only after she found out that Fiona was lying. I'm afraid that video game Amy would literally try and murder anyone who so much as flirts with Sonic which I think is over doing it. I admit even Archie Amy isnt a perfect character but she's still cool to me. She hasn't been kidnapped in ages. Granted this might be because it isn't plot relevant to capture her but she's been on more rescue missions than actually needing to get saved.

Edited by Dejablue

I bet that petition is written by either a troll, a huge soccer mom or some prude who gets so offended when they see a girl/woman show off some skin. Also, it's funny how they target Amy but not Rouge.

Edited by sonfan1984

I didn't even bother looking at that petition. These petitions fail anyway.

Basically what I said in the post above. I think its weird though that Sonic openly dates other women and Amy remains ever hopeful that he'll take her as a serious girlfriend option but I can only remember one girl she's ever fought over Sonic and that was Fiona. But only after she found out that Fiona was lying. I'm afraid that video game Amy would literally try and murder anyone who so much as flirts with Sonic which I think is over doing it. I admit even Archie Amy isnt a perfect character but she's still cool to me. She hasn't been kidnapped in ages. Granted this might be because it isn't plot relevant to capture her but she's been on more rescue missions than actually needing to get saved.

That's just it, he won't the comics make it painfully clear that Sonic is interested in Sally, and ONLY Sally, now while that's all fine and good, it makes Amy look pretty pathetic to still be pining after a guy who clearly will never get involved with her(Hell she wasn't even in, or mentioned in the 25-30 Years Later storylines, despite being an active member of the FF), I mean at least the games drop a hint now and then without going to far in one direction. Also Amy's lack of development in the comics kind of rubs me the wrong way too, its like you said she's barely plot relevant, and most plots she is involved in just have her smashing stuff and nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, she's no better in the games either at this point(Something I hope changes with Generations), I was just pointing out why I didn't personally like her.

What are you talking about? Petitions like these always work, just like the 4Kids petition from 2006, and the Sonic 4 petition to play Sonic 1, I mean those CLEARLY worked.

What are you talking about? Petitions like these always work, just like the 4Kids petition from 2006, and the Sonic 4 petition to play Sonic 1, I mean those CLEARLY worked.

I apologize, what I meant was these types of petitions fail. Those petitions you said up there made more sense and will have tons of support behind them.

Funny you mentioned Sonic 4 because even then, Sonic 4 in the end didn't play like Sonic 1. XP

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

That's just it, he won't the comics make it painfully clear that Sonic is interested in Sally, and ONLY Sally, now while that's all fine and good, it makes Amy look pretty pathetic to still be pining after a guy who clearly will never get involved with her(Hell she wasn't even in, or mentioned in the 25-30 Years Later storylines, despite being an active member of the FF), I mean at least the games drop a hint now and then without going to far in one direction. Also Amy's lack of development in the comics kind of rubs me the wrong way too, its like you said she's barely plot relevant, and most plots she is involved in just have her smashing stuff and nothing else.

That whole Sonic Universe arc where she led Cream and Blaze against Team Hooligan, Babylon Rogues, and Team Dark while using strategy and wit likes to throw a hammer at your argument about Amy's lack of development. Sure, the writer won't ever acknowledge it being on par as anything Sally does(even if she does absolutely nothing but command Sonic to attack), but you have to give Amy that. Also the whole Iron Queen invasion when she stood toe to toe with a dude that Sonic or Monkey Khan couldn't and was winning. Amy is a beast in the comics, man.

True that. And even if they did succeed, i'm willing to bet SEGA wouldn't give a rat's ass, or hedgehog's ass if you will....

That whole Sonic Universe arc where she led Cream and Blaze against Team Hooligan, Babylon Rogues, and Team Dark while using strategy and wit likes to throw a hammer at your argument about Amy's lack of development. Sure, the writer won't ever acknowledge it being on par as anything Sally does(even if she does absolutely nothing but command Sonic to attack), but you have to give Amy that. Also the whole Iron Queen invasion when she stood toe to toe with a dude that Sonic or Monkey Khan couldn't and was winning. Amy is a beast in the comics, man.

I do, it still doesn't change the fact that for a girl who's supposed to be a main character, she sure doesn't get a lot of development, at least in comparison to the other FF.

I do, it still doesn't change the fact that for a girl who's supposed to be a main character, she sure doesn't get a lot of development, at least in comparison to the other FF.

Two words: Sally Acorn.

She is the reason for the lack of development for any character that is supposed to be the main character. Amy could get some much needed screen time if she weren't just shoe horned as the little action girl in a dress while Sally gets yet another non-sensical and forced romantic plot tumor. Tails could have a better defined relationship with Sonic if his role as "Sonic's bud," wasn't taken to the side as Sally takes up the majority of Sonic's interactions. Now Tails is placed as the resident mechanic. Yes, the two characters who have been in the majority of Sonic characters are taking the backseat to this bitch in terms of character importance.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Two words: Sally Acorn.

She is the reason for the lack of development for any character that is supposed to be the main character. Amy could get some much needed screen time if she weren't just shoe horned as the little action girl in a dress while Sally gets yet another non-sensical and forced romantic plot tumor. Tails could have a better defined relationship with Sonic if his role as "Sonic's bud," wasn't taken to the side as Sally takes up the majority of Sonic's interactions. Now Tails is placed as the resident mechanic. Yes, the two characters who have been in the majority of Sonic characters are taking the backseat to this bitch in terms of character importance.

Yup, but before this turns into a Sally hatefest, let's take it to PM's shall we?

Lol this is going to go south pretty soon I can tell. Sally hate brewing in an amy rose topic about hating Amy Rose....?

Lol this is going to go south pretty soon I can tell. Sally hate brewing in an amy rose topic about hating Amy Rose....?

Hence why I said, we shall take it to PM's.

......So wait what's the point of this topic now, I really don't see anything worth talking about.

It's not all Sally's fault. Sally plus the other half billion characters Archie introduced after they decided, or were forced to, integrate video game canon into their own story starting at Sonic Adventure onwards. Amy was there before that happened. The references to the video games before that point was also fairly minimal. It had Rings, Robotnick, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the Master Emerald. All of these extra characters fighting for panel time and getting minimal character development for it. I guess if you hate Sally you also have to hate Bunnie and Antoine too.

Edited by Dejablue

It's not all Sally's fault. Sally plus the other half billion characters Archie introduced after they decided, or were forced to, integrate video game canon into their own story starting at Sonic Adventure onwards. Amy was there before that happened. The references to the video games was also fairly minimal. There was only Rings, Robotnick, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the Master Emerald. All of these extra characters fighting for panel time and getting minimal character development for it. I guess if you hate Sally you also have to hate Bunnie and Antoine too.

That's really no excuse, I know a lot of series that can juggle a whole shitload of characters no problem, so Archie not being able to do it can only account to favoritism towards the Archie verse and nothing else.

While I think Amy would be a horribly maladjusted person in real life, in fictionland she's a wonderfully endearing character who brings the series lots of laughs. Basically flings back and forth from harmless fangirl (Most games have her just express a crush on Sonic with no aggressive accompanying behavior) all the way over to textbook yandere ("Marry me or I'll throw you off this building" from Heroes, and then assaulting Sonic with a hammer in Riders), but no matter what she's doing, she's usually doing it comically. Which is a breath of fresh air for a series that already has its share of grimdark.

So yeah. I like Amy, and feel that her bad qualities are precisely why she's so likable.

I guess if you hate Sally you also have to hate Bunnie and Antoine too.

Conveniently enough, I do.

I see the Freedom Fighters as being just as superfluous as Chris Thorndyke was, and to me there's really no difference except that in their case, there are more of them- Constantly vying for screentime while the game characters are typically left out in the cold. Amy just happens to be one of the game characters who got the worst of the Archie spotlight-stealing, but it really extends to the whole game cast in my opinion.

I don't have any special dislike for Sally- I dislike her exactly as much as I dislike the other Freedom Fighters.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's really no excuse, I know a lot of series that can juggle a whole shitload of characters no problem, so Archie not being able to do it can only account to favoritism towards the Archie verse and nothing else.

There is also no excuse for Sega being shit at writing everybody. At least Archie has better stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not all Sally's fault. Sally plus the other half billion characters Archie introduced after they decided, or were forced to, integrate video game canon into their own story starting at Sonic Adventure onwards. Amy was there before that happened. The references to the video games before that point was also fairly minimal. It had Rings, Robotnick, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the Master Emerald. All of these extra characters fighting for panel time and getting minimal character development for it. I guess if you hate Sally you also have to hate Bunnie and Antoine too.

There really shouldn't have been new characters introduced in the first place. It should have been entirely taken from the video games and nothing but the video games. None of these useless characters that were totally uncalled for.

While I think Amy would be a horribly maladjusted person in real life, in fictionland she's a wonderfully endearing character who brings the series lots of laughs. Basically flings back and forth from harmless fangirl (Most games have her just express a crush on Sonic with no aggressive accompanying behavior) all the way over to textbook yandere ("Marry me or I'll throw you off this building" from Heroes, and then assaulting Sonic with a hammer in Riders), but no matter what she's doing, she's usually doing it comically. Which is a breath of fresh air for a series that already has its share of grimdark.

So yeah. I like Amy, and feel that her bad qualities are precisely why she's so likable.

Ya know a gag gets less funny, the more its used just saying.

Yeah the Freedom Fighters are useless just like the video game characters are useless. Well actually no. The Freedom Fighters are better. Sonic can pretty much Solo the universe in the games. I'm pretty sure that would have been the most boring comic ever made.

Edited by Dejablue

Yeah the Freedom Fighters are useless just like the video game characters are useless. Well actually no. The Freedom Fighters are better. Sonic can pretty much Solo the universe in the games. I'm pretty sure that would have been the most boring comic ever made.

Let me clarify something- I am not opposed to original characters made to pad out the story when a game is adapted to another medium.

AoStH (with Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, and loads of one-shot characters) did it right. The Sonic OVA (President, Sera, and Old Man were prominent but never overtook the game cast) did it right.

SatAM/Archie (Freedom Fighters), Underground (Sonia and Manic), and Sonic X (Chris) did it horribly wrong, by shifting too much of the focus onto these newer characters and giving them equal (and sometimes greater) focus to the game cast.

I see nothing wrong with worldbuilding or injecting some of your original ideas into an adaptation to better the flow of the story, but I feel that often Sonic's friends in these other media are a little too prominent, to the detriment of the game characters.

I think the only time it was done horribly wrong was with Chris. Chris was the only original character who was relevant to anything and the supporting cast, aka Tails, Amy and Knuckles, still weren't all that great. In fact they annoyed the hell out of me. So there goes the idea of a video game universe only cast being better. It isn't. They were just as, if not more useless than the freedom fighters.

Oh God wtf what about Underground...well I did watch that for Manic like I said in the shameful secrets thread.

And even Chris got better in season 3.

But anyway this topic is either heading dangerously close to or already in the ditch known as off topic.

So uh...Amy Rose?

*scratches head* What else can really be said about her?

I hated that Dexter thing they did in Chronicles. Made her look like a total loser.

Edited by Dejablue

And Sally can solo the universe in the comics, just saying. Also you do know the games are nowhere near as story heavy as Archie, so don't sell me that crap about them being useless, Sega just refuse to use them is all.