Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

I've seen all of one source that said this and it was the first Smash Bros. itself. Personally I don't see how it could be possible because that would also mean Dedede and everything in Kirby's universe is actually really tiny- even Whispy Woods.
Ok, and? So Kirby comes from a microplanet, big deal.

And Travis Touchdown over Snake? No fucking way. Travis doesn't hold a candle to him.

I love dismissive you are despite having never even considering Travis.

Travis Touchdown over Snake? I'd be down with that. He'd most certainly be a main of mine.

Granted it sucks that he won't be able to

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree on the general idea that all the original 12 should be kept for sure. Just out of respect. Besides, Jigglypuff is still a really well-known Pokémon, and Ness deserves representation every time as the only main Mother player protagonist who technically exists outside of Japan anyway. Obviously the rest are no-brainers.

Edited by JezMM

I love dismissive you are despite having never even considering Travis.

What does me not having considered him before have to do with anything at all?

I always thought Bowser should have some added defence from the giant ass shell of his. If attacked from behind, he won't flinch unless it's a smash attack, just like Yoshi's second jump and Snake's recovery. Of course he would still take damage and would be open to grabs.

Ok, and? So Kirby comes from a microplanet, big deal.

Well I guess that would make sense, but it definitely doesn't feel like it considering the impact a lot of Kirby enemies make with their size. And as far as I know the micro-planet thing has never been stressed in Kirby games themselves.

It'd be like if a Smash Bros profile said Link and Zelda are actually twenty stories tall and they come from a world where blades of grass are the size of grown men.

Well, if clones are liked, that's a good excuse to include Waluigi.

That makes no sense. He couldn't be a clone of anyone. His proportions are far too drastically different to everyone elses in the cast.

It works for Mario and Luigi because they have the same proportions and are almost exactly the same size. They have almost identical bone structures as well. Wario and Waluigi have vastly different bone structures on the other hand.

Well I guess that would make sense, but it definitely doesn't feel like it considering the impact a lot of Kirby enemies make with their size.
It's all relative. Look at Pikmin; Olimar and the Pikmin fight creatures many times their size, but they're still things that we could probably just step on.

It'd be like if a Smash Bros profile said Link and Zelda are actually twenty stories tall and they come from a world where blades of grass are the size of grown men.
Well, that's a lot less believable, given that the Zelda world is basically a fantasy Earth, and the majority of the characters are barely any different from real humans. Kirby is a puffball living in a world called Dreamland; it's much further removed from reality as we know it.

Yeah to be honest, if the only point of reference we have for comparison is the deliberately inaccurate Smash Bros games, it doesn't matter what scale anything is. Kirby could be 8 inches or 8 miles tall but it makes zero difference because he doesn't inhabit the same reality as us and we're the only thing to compare him to.

It's all relative. Look at Pikmin; Olimar and the Pikmin fight creatures many times their size, but they're still things that we could probably just step on.

True enough, but in Pikmin we still have an understanding that the characters are all very small, even if some of them are very large in comparison to Olimar and crew.

Kirby's world doesn't have this, but it does have grass, trees, buildings and other things that are all relatable and familiar to us; things which most viewers could use to estimate his size. Removed from reality or not, most people are going to think Pop-Star's grass and trees are all as big as they are on Earth. Therefore, saying Kirby's only 8-inches tall contradicts the expectations most people probably have.

After looking further it seems that there is more than one official source that says this, but it's just WEIRD to me, is all.

This is honestly the most pointless discussion I've had in a while.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Masahiro Sakurai, the director of the Super Smash Bros series, revealed at the CEDEC developer conference this week that the next Smash Bros game for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS will feature lots of new and exciting moves for existing characters. Sakurai also mentioned earlier this week that the game will have a bunch of new characters.

At a recent developers conference in Japan, Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai delivered a keynote address that was mainly a compilation of his history in the video game industry. During his speech, Sakurai mentioned the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games by saying “It’s fun making new skills for new characters.”

Namco on why Nintendo picked them

I think Nintendo chose us just because Smash Brothers is a fighting game. We have over 17 years of continuously developing titles in our franchise [Tekken], I think they felt we were a choice for that.

Also, we’ve continually developed a very good relationship with Nintendo. Maybe not necessarily in the public spotlight but kind of behind the scenes. We have established a very good working relationship with them. Not just Nintendo, but as a company, we have a very good relationship with Sakurai-san at Sora as well. I think that we are in very good position to make a great game for the Smash Brothers series.

Edited by Nintendoga

This all seems very promising. Good to hear Sakurai clearing up the situation of "OMG NO NEW CHARZ FAIL."

I'm glad existing characters are getting a lot of new moves, too. Always helps to freshen things up. I personally hope Olimar, Ganondorf, and Sonic (if he returns) get a particularly interesting moveset revamp.

Overall these little snippets from Sakurai are doing a good job of putting some of my worries to rest.

I'm waiting for Sakurai to tell us more about the game's mechanics. Whether it's slow/casual like Brawl, fast paced/more chaotic like Melee, or a mix of both. That's probably the biggest thing I'm hyped/worried about right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the only thing left for them to clear up that I think could really alter the fun-levels of the experience. Personally I hope they take the basic Brawl gameplay and just tweak it to allow for more combos and strategies. I don't want them to completely go back to the Melee physics (unless that's optional).

Oh, also: sound effects. This isn't a gameplay thing, but I think the punches would be more satisfying if they sounded less like you were hitting a giant pillow and more like you were smacking a solid object. Less "POOF" more "KRAK."

Edited by Gregzilla

I always felt that Smash Brother games are as fast as the user makes it. Brawl may be considerably slower than Melee, but it can still be "fast paced" if you ask me. Given, it is "floatier" than Melee, it still can be fast.

I'm waiting for Sakurai to tell us more about the game's mechanics. Whether it's slow/casual like Brawl, fast paced/more chaotic like Melee, or a mix of both. That's probably the biggest thing I'm hyped/worried about right now.

This. Though Brawl physics won't be a dealbreaker for me (I still loved Brawl), I want to know. For me, Melee and Brawl are tied in terms of how much I like them (both are awesome), because both have certain things over the other, obviously Melee having the superior physics.

Project M controls better then both however. It's like Melee, but it feels...... smoother somehow. I'd go with something along the lines of that if I had to pick.

So, anybody willing to bet that Seaside Hill will make yet another comeback if Sonic returns?

So, anybody willing to bet that Seaside Hill will make yet another comeback if Sonic returns?

I certainly hope not; I've long-since gotten sick and tired of that zone...

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a feeling that Link and Zelda will have their Skyward Sword designs in the new Smash Bros. I wonder if this means that Sheik is going to get scraped.

I have a feeling that Link and Zelda will have their Skyward Sword designs in the new Smash Bros. I wonder if this means that Sheik is going to get scraped.

Sheik wasn't in Twilight Princess, yet had a Twilight Princess-esque design in Brawl. There's no reason for them to scrap her.

• Thumbs Up 2

Less Sheik, more Groose. Yep.

As for physics engines, I feel like it would be fun to incorporate all three of the previous engines to pick and choose at the player's discretion in an options select or something. Keep the Smash 4 engine up for story modes and everything else, let the Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl engines be last-minute unlockables that can be used in Multiplayer mode.

It would be a metric ton of data to implement, and time would have to be taken to make sure every minute detail is bugless as a result of it, but hey, at the end, no one could feasibly bitch about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

no one could feasibly bitch about it.

I think the saying "You can't please everyone," plays a big role here.