Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Nah, I don't think Mario needs the ground pound really.

I have idea's on how to make the Fludd more Dynamic...

After charging it to the fullest extent (any lower charge will just use the Water Spray):

Forward + B = Aqua Shot (Low Range Water shot that does about 10% Damage)

Neutral B = Water Spray (Regular water spray just like it's original use)

Down + B = Aqua Burst (Requires some additional charge, works like Wario's Fart attacks, doing 10% Damage with little charge, 15% with medium charge, and at full charge, 20%. Knockback is average, and it launches Mario into the air, meaning it can work as a recovery)

Funny enough, Mario's Fair is the weakest spike in Brawl. Or at least second weakest, if you want to count the sourspot of Zelda's Dair.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what would be nice? If they got rid of clone characters entirely and simply made them model/sound swaps for their base characters, like something of an alt costume. It gets more characters representation, eliminates pointless redundancies in character slots and saves Sakurai's team an ass-ton of tweaking and balancing work, so it seems like a win-win situation to me. Not to mention it frees up slots for more unique characters or newer IPs.

Yes, I'm still holding out for Mewtwo. >.>

• Thumbs Up 6

If they need to remove someone, Jigglypuff should be high on the list; put it instead as an assist pokémon, along with the others.

As a replacement to Snake i hope that Travis Touchdown will be in; if i remember correctly, Suda51 himself expressed is interest about it.

And if they want to do the "bring retro characters", Little Mac should be the first; he's one of the classic Nintendo mascots that still today were never playable (unless you count the Assist Trophy of Brawl).

Edited by Teoskaven

I don't know why so many people want Jigglypuff gone. I'm not a huge fan of it (though I wouldn't call any of the playable Pokemon my favorites), but I wouldn't want any original characters to get taken out.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure who's more of a clone to Fox: Wolf or Falco? I think I'd have to say Falco. Wolf has a generally original moveset barring Fire Wolf. Falco barrows more from Fox. Maybe keep Wolf and replace his Final Smash and Fire Wolf for something else.

I would say get rid of Lucas. If anything, he played TOO much like Ness despite obvious differences in certain moves (such as PK fire having an angle to it) and quite literally the same Final Smash. Same goes for Ganon... as much as I like him and think it's fun to use, he isn't much different from Falcon other than being slower really.

Also, I hope that if they choose to keep Zero Suit... that they don't make her Final Smash one that reverts her back to Samus. I never liked using Samus with the armor and whenever I got the Smash Ball with Zero Suit to prevent others from using it... turning back into Samus was a pain since I didn't like or use her that often opposed to Zero Suit. I know you can transform back by pressing up, down, up on the taunts or w/e it is, but it's a pain and hardly practical during any match really.

Or at least make it easier to transform between the two ala Zelda and Sheik transformation or something along the lines.

Edited by LunarEdge

I'll be happy if my main list stays: Link, Toon Link, Pit, Yoshi and Sonic. I would say Mario but 1. He's pretty much a given and 2. I'm just getting into him now (in Brawl/Project M).

You know what would be nice? If they got rid of clone characters entirely and simply made them model/sound swaps for their base characters, like something of an alt costume. It gets more characters representation, eliminates pointless redundancies in character slots and saves Sakurai's team an ass-ton of tweaking and balancing work, so it seems like a win-win situation to me. Not to mention it frees up slots for more unique characters or newer IPs.

Yes, I'm still holding out for Mewtwo. >.>

Well the clones were originally established near the later part of the development time. Sakurai wanted a quick and easy way to help bulk out the roster of Melee. Here's basically how the character selection worked for Melee:

1) Start with all the original 12 obviously

2) Then Sakurai picked four characters that were the most popular choices in Japan (Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo and Marth)

3) He then wanted to add four more unique and experimental characters which would take up quite a bit more development time (Zelda/Sheik, Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch)

Note: Sakurai also had King Dedede as a reserve character if any of these were to go wrong.

4) Due to Melee being near the time of Gen 2 Pokemon, Sakurai wanted some Gen 2 rep. He originally wanted the Gen 2 Pokemon trainer, however considering time restraints it would be too complex to code (of course this was later put into Brawl but Gen 1's trainer). There were a bunch of other Pokemon ideas but again most were too complicated for the time. He then found that at the time the most popular Gen 2 Pokemon and the one that had a fair bit of rep was Pichu. However, how would you go about doing Pichu without making him like Pikachu? Well Sakurai decided simply to bite the bullet and make him a joke version of Pikachu.

From here he expanded into doing the other clone characters. They were not originally planned for Melee:

5) Young Link for Link and Dr Mario for Mario Sakurai felt were two obvious choices. Interestingly, Wario was considered as being a clone of Mario with lower speed and higher attack, though Sakurai felt he deserved better so he left him for Brawl.

6) Leaf from FE: Seisen no Keifu was originally going to be the clone for Marth, however when Sakurai went to get permission from Intelligent Studios to put him into the game, they instead showed him a sneak peak of the upcoming GBA Fire Emblem game and thus Roy, the main hero of this game, along with his Sword of Seals was put in as Marth's clone instead.

7) Ganon was the last to be added. He was added mostly due to popularity and the fact that his body structure was similar to Captain Falcon's. That and Sakurai at the time couldn't think of any other potential clones.

Here's the important thing to note though. In the time it took the dev team to do those six clones, they would've only had enough time to develop King Dedede as an original character. Just to put some perspective on things.

------

Point is whilst I definitely understand the compulsion to remove the whole clone thing entirely, it is a decent way to establish characters into the series if the team is running low on development time and resources. Removing the clones wouldn't allow for many more original characters. And honestly, as long as they're fun and satisfying to play I'll enjoy them. I prefer Melee Ganon over his more decloned Brawl incarnation for example.

I would say get rid of Lucas. If anything, he played TOO much like Ness despite obvious differences in certain moves (such as PK fire having an angle to it) and quite literally the same Final Smash. Same goes for Ganon... as much as I like him and think it's fun to use, he isn't much different from Falcon other than being slower really.

Also, I hope that if they choose to keep Zero Suit... that they don't make her Final Smash one that reverts her back to Samus. I never liked using Samus with the armor and whenever I got the Smash Ball with Zero Suit to prevent others from using it... turning back into Samus was a pain since I didn't like or use her that often opposed to Zero Suit. I know you can transform back by pressing up, down, up on the taunts or w/e it is, but it's a pain and hardly practical during any match really.

Or at least make it easier to transform between the two ala Zelda and Sheik transformation or something along the lines.

Am I the only one who wants ROB taken out? I think Toon link needs to go as well.

To be perfectly honest, I don't want to see anyone go. Though in the case of Ness/Lucas really Lucas has a moveset in Brawl more fitting Kumatora. Lucas was the defensive character designed to buff and protect your characters, whilst Kumatora was the one who used the offensive PSI attacks. Though they most likely chose Lucas due to proportions. Most of Lucas' main animations are different to Ness'. It's mainly item attacking animations, item throwing, climbing up ladders and other minor stuff like that which is the same.

And in the case of ROB, why remove a character who's 1) the only robot character in the game 2) the only character with no legs, giving him a unique trait over every other fighter 3) a completely unique character that's also a competent fighter in the game? There's no reason to remove ROB at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interestingly, Wario was considered as being a clone of Mario with lower speed and higher attack, though Sakurai felt he deserved better so he left him for Brawl.

Infinitely more respect for the man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't it also be considered to leave Wario in because he was one of the most requested characters for Brawl (pre-Sonic)? I could swear I read that on the Dojo or some other place.

Ganondorf? God, I hope they do something to the poor guy. I like the idea of playing as Ganon since I love playing as villains, but between the extremes of how similar to Captain Falcon he was and his moveset "nerfing" between Melee and Brawl, I don't think he'll make a comeback.

Toon Link? I never really got into him as a fighter. Link was my main fighter up until Brawl where he was respectively replaced by the Master of Garlic and Greed.

Bowser needs to be fixed a bit including that strange "running" animation. What is he doing there anyways? Hovering? I never really got what was up with that.

Bowser needs to be fixed a bit including that strange "running" animation. What is he doing there anyways? Hovering? I never really got what was up with that.
It's kind of like when you kick a shell.

Well, if clones are liked, that's a good excuse to include Waluigi.

Right now I'm wondering if their gonna change the pokemon trainer. Personally I'd love to see ghetsis as a fighter with his own team of badass mons.

And Ridley is long overdue for a spot as a fighter. And don't feed me all of that "he's to big" bullshit. Look at Pikachu, in the games and anime he's small enough to fit on someone's shoulder, but in smash bros he's roughly the same size as a dog. Or better yet look at Bowser. It's been officially confirmed that bowser is 9 feet tall but in the original Super Mario Bros., he was the same size as Mario. Plus, in Mario Sunshine he was Bigger than a house, and in Brawl he was the same size as snake.

If they can re size Bowser and Pikachu for Smash Broa then I know they can Re-Size Ridley.

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

If I recall correctly, Kirby's suppsoed to be 8 inches and yet he's like what? Two feet tall?

You're guaranteed to be flamed to hell if you mention character size in Smash Bros... So it was weird that Sakurai himself said he didn't want Ridley because of his height. Though personally I don't really care if Ridley gets in or not. Eh...

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

If I recall correctly, Kirby's suppsoed to be 8 inches and yet he's like what? Two feet tall?.

I've seen all of one source that said this and it was the first Smash Bros. itself. Personally I don't see how it could be possible because that would also mean Dedede and everything in Kirby's universe is actually really tiny- even Whispy Woods. Kirby's Smash Bros height is likely accurate to his canon one.

You're guaranteed to be flamed to hell if you mention character size in Smash Bros...
HERE I GO

And Ridley is long overdue for a spot as a fighter. And don't feed me all of that "he's to big" bullshit. Look at Pikachu, in the games and anime he's small enough to fit on someone's shoulder, but in smash bros he's roughly the same size as a dog. Or better yet look at Bowser. It's been officially confirmed that bowser is 9 feet tall but in the original Super Mario Bros., he was the same size as Mario. Plus, in Mario Sunshine he was Bigger than a house, and in Brawl he was the same size as snake.

If they can re size Bowser and Pikachu for Smash Broa then I know they can Re-Size Ridley.

The problem with re-sizing Ridely is that if he were to be re-sized the way they did with Bowser or Olimar, and he were made to be the height of other big Smash Bros characters, he would appear WAY too Small because his proportions would be out of whack.

He's not like Bowser who can just be shrunk and still look the same. Ridely has a long face, long arms, and he's very thin and gangly. To make him a playable size they'd also have to change how big his body parts are in relation to eachother, which would be messing with the character design.

That's not to say they couldn't make him playable, but it definitely wouldn't be easy.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 5

If they need to remove someone, Jigglypuff should be high on the list; put it instead as an assist pokémon, along with the others.

As a replacement to Snake i hope that Travis Touchdown will be in; if i remember correctly, Suda51 himself expressed is interest about it.

I hate both of these ideas.

...because...

Getting rid of Jigglypuff? No way. He's a funcharacter to play as. I just hope they make Sleep as powerful as in Melee next time. I have no idea why he should be high on the list to remove, as he's one of the originals.

And Travis Touchdown over Snake? No fucking way. Travis doesn't hold a candle to him.