Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

This game looks very disappointing so far. The graphics may have been FINALLY redrawn, and in a nice enough art style, but everything but the character models looks Wii quality. There’s nothing wrong with making a 2D game on a high-end console, but compared to Rayman Origins, Trine 2, hell even Sonic 4: Episode 2, this just doesn't cut it.

There’s a stunning lack of originality prevalent throughout. All but the first level shown off have just been re-skin of one of the bioms from the first three NSMB releases, and I only saw one new enemy type (that being the underwater dragon/serpent). Remember when Mario games included almost COMPLETELY new enemies in every game? And how even the returning ones were given new quirks, such as Goombas not dying when you jump on them in SMW? Where the hell is the “NEW” in the NEW Super Mario Bros series?

Oh, wait. I see what’s NEW: the ability to cheat at any time you want. You now have the ability to place platformers wherever you want on the screen, thereby getting rid of all potential challenge. Who wants to jump across perilous platforms in a platforming game, am I right? If you play through this game actually utilizing this feature, I hope the game erases your entire WiiU operating system. You obviously have no need for a videogame console. (Edit: Sorry. I don't have anything against the players who use this, I have something against the developers who think players should have this option.)

I wish I could enjoy this game. Things like the squirrel suit look interesting, and even though they are bringing back the Koopa Kids AGAIN, at least the one fight shown off looked like it could be interesting. But this is anything but a system seller, and the Wii U still looks like a terrible purchase to me (although Bayonetta 2 is tempting).

EDIT: Watching it a second time, the "BOOST MODE" is basically a slightly less linear Yoshi Touch and Go, lol. Didn't mention the music before, either. It sounds fine. Not as great as the SM3DLand theme though, in my opinion. Also, why does baby Yoshi puff up like a balloon? Probably because they wanted to use the P bag from Super Mario World but realized "P bag" sounds disgusting and figured no one wants to see Mario do his Kirby impression anymore.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, wait. I see what’s NEW: the ability to cheat at any time you want. You now have the ability to place platformers wherever you want on the screen, thereby getting rid of all potential challenge. Who wants to jump across perilous platforms in a platforming game, am I right? If you play through this game actually utilizing this feature, I hope the game erases your entire WiiU operating system. You obviously have no need for a videogame console.

so basically if you use Boost Mode and play with your friends, you're not a TROO GAMRE.

Seriously this statement is so bitter and elitist over NOTHING. It's fucking hilarious.

Is the platform thing only multiplayer anyway?

Yeah, it's a co-op mechanic. Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 2

Holy fuck are you five years old? This is basically crying about other people having the wrong kind of fun. Are you one of the idiots that complained about the super guide, too? Throwing tantrums because they included a way for people who weren't good at the game to get through it, as if "Can Beat a Mario Game" is some very important title that must be protected from dirty dirty "cheaters"?

Yes, I am against features like this. I believe they undermine the core gameplay, and are a sign of bad game design. I don't blame or much care if people want to use it to give themselves an easier time, but when the ability to cheat (and that is what it is, regardless of whether you need to enter a code or not) is touted as one of your big new features, there's a problem. I suppose I should have focused my angry comments on the developers more than the players in that previous post, so I apologize for speaking too quickly without thinking.

The best thing I can say about this platform placing is that they are at least TRYING to give it reason to exist, thanks to the boost mode, and it isn't quite a glaring a flaw as the super mode in DKCR. I think games should be made so that everyone can beat them, but players should have to PLAY them, or what is even the point?

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Yes, I am against features like this. I believe they undermine the core gameplay, and are a sign of bad game design. I don't blame or much care if people want to use it to give themselves an easier time, but when the ability to cheat (and that is what it is, regardless of whether you need to enter a code or not) is touted as one of your big new features, there's a problem. I suppose I should have focused my angry comments on the developers more than the players in that previous post, so I apologize for speaking too quickly without thinking.

You do realize kids play Mario too, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

You do realize kids play Mario too, right?

Did you play Mario as a kid? Did you beat the games eventually? Probably.

I've already backed down on my previous comment, so I'm not going to discuss this anymore. I don't have a problem with people using systems like this. I have a problem with developers including them because they are afraid that they can't create a balanced game that teaches players how to play their game correctly and well.

Looks more original than previous Mario games I suppose. And I kinda like the change up from the story: Instead of just kidnapping Peach, Bowser just decides to throw the heroes out of the way instead. Still, it's not enough to make me want to rush out and get a Wii U, though.

Holy fuck, this game actually looks fantastic. There's still kind of an air of "Eh, more Mario" about it, but it looks like very good Mario. I mean dem high as fuck Baby Yoshis, dat actually being kinda nice to look at, DAT MARIO WORLD-ESQUE OVERWORLD. DAT MOTHERFUCKING MARIO WORLD ESQUE OVERWORLD.

Still doesn't have me convinced to run out and buy a Wii U at launch, but when I pick one up down the line this'll definitely be something I'll be picking up.

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't blame or much care if people want to use it to give themselves an easier time, but when the ability to cheat (and that is what it is, regardless of whether you need to enter a code or not)
You're going to have to explain this one, if there's anything more to it than butthurt.

I think games should be made so that everyone can beat them, but players should have to PLAY them, or what is even the point?
What's the point of beating a game in the first place? I mean, let's say there's a game where you can simply press a button and beat the entire game. Okay, well...so what? Who's hurt by this? The person who pressed it can go through the game in whatever manner they want. For everyone else...do you think their achievements are cheapened by it? As far as beating a thing in a game is an accomplishment at all, is actually seeing the credits the important part, or is it the process of getting there?
  • Thumbs Up 2

Holy shit, they actually made the desert world like this.

640px-NSMBUFlyingSquirrelM1UpMode.jpg

And while I'm a little excited to see them try something new(ish) with the level tropes, I can't help but feel they'll pull something like this:

Desert World:

NeKaH.jpg

Layer Cake Desert:

U5uG0.jpg

lol'd

I can't fucking believe it.

Game looks great, very pretty and fun. And that is probably the most awesome way Bowser got rid of Mario. A giant hand sneaking in yo house, taking your Toads!

One thing that looks disappointing, (and I was afraid of this) it seems that the Acorn item may be the only new power-up in the game.

Oh my, and who do we have here?

frNzt.jpg

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, there's actually 4 new Power Ups if you count the Baby Yoshis. Also, happy to see Jr. again. I know some people don't really like him but, it felt odd with him not being in 3D Land or NSMB 2.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think Bowser was watching Spongebob when we came up with his new plan.

"King Bowser, Mario is always getting in the way when we're kidnapping Peach, what should we do?"

"We should take Mario...AND PUSH HIM SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

• Thumbs Up 8

I've already backed down on my previous comment, so I'm not going to discuss this anymore. I don't have a problem with people using systems like this. I have a problem with developers including them because they are afraid that they can't create a balanced game that teaches players how to play their game correctly and well.

You're judging a feature by taking it at face value. Yes, boost mode will help the little kiddies and all that, but it'll also open up a whole new world of gameplay for hardcore Mario players.

You can only use so many blocks at a time right? We don't know the full details but it also seems some block types can only be stepped on once before disappearing.

Think about what potential this system would have for speedrunning. Pretty obvious right, a two well co-ordinated people could make some pretty sweet speedruns.

Now imagine 5-player speedruns. The amount of planning, the amount of research into what routes are possible and how to manage the avaliable blocks so all four players can get the most out of them. The timing and co-ordination required to actually perform these speedruns.

This is not just "for kids" mode. It's a whole new kind of co-operative platforming.

Incidentally the trailer was really cool. I love all the more cinematic touches they're putting in.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

I played Mario World when I was 5. I did not beat it until I was 12. Kids are very bad at games. Seriously, the hell do you care? I just can't fathom why people still get all bent out of shape by things like Super Guide and assist modes. Can someone explain to me why? I'm honestly at a loss.

Edited by King Of Awesome

I played Mario World when I was 5. I did not beat it until I was 12. Kids are very bad at games. Seriously, the hell do you care? I just can't fathom why people still get all bent out of shape by things like Super Guide and assist modes. Can someone explain to me why? I'm honestly at a loss.

Basically people aren't allowed to have fun unless it's the same way they have fun.

• Thumbs Up 8

After looking at the trailer the only things to wow me about the game are the intro, the canyon style background and Roy's airship and roy's battle. Not really much for me to spit out $300 dollars for.